As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Because Geebs' Inquisitor is getting too old for this shit

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I don't like Viv because it feels like my Inquisitor sometimes becomes a different character around her

Like I saw the flirt button and I was like "hah, sure, why not!" and my inquisitor practically stammered out "d-do you think...one day...you and i" and i was like WOAH, that is NOT the person i have been throughout the game so far

have barely kept it in my pants, not gonna be some blushing schoolchild now

liEt3nH.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Basically I think recruiting Cole, Iron Bull, Sera, and Vivienne are super optional and should really vary depending on the Inquisitor you are playing.

I know that idea is anathema to some people, but they're people who just will not gel with certain kinds of Inquisitors and they don't make a lot of sense to bring along unless you're giving in to a video game "gotta catch em all, gotta have ALL the content!" mentality.

I play games once

I generally prefer this as an option

I think the last game I played twice without waiting several years in between was Witcher 2, which wasn't so bad because the entire middle of the game is different

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Coming from the mentality of Baldur's Gate, which is, you know, the game I measure all other games by, I find the collect them all attitude towards companions really weird

Like, you could have everyone in your party at some point in Baldur's Gate, and rotate through them, but you don't have any sort of camp set up- when you dismiss someone from your service, they go home, or if they don't have a home anymore, the Copper Coronet tavern

They're their own people, and while they'll almost always be waiting for you to come pick them up again, they do not support you in their off time

And the only way to get through their personal quests and their conversations is to have them actively traveling with you, so I can totally see someone rotating through various party members to try and get all of the quests in the game

But you also can't always be switching characters, because sometimes you're trapped in an asylum or the underdark or whatever

So you have to choose who you're friends with, and who you leave behind

Also certain party members will fucking murder each other if you put them together, which complicates things further

Straightzi wrote: »
    Coming from the mentality of Baldur's Gate, which is, you know, the game I measure all other games by, I find the collect them all attitude towards companions really weird

Like, you could have everyone in your party at some point in Baldur's Gate, and rotate through them, but you don't have any sort of camp set up- when you dismiss someone from your service, they go home, or if they don't have a home anymore, the Copper Coronet tavern

They're their own people, and while they'll almost always be waiting for you to come pick them up again, they do not support you in their off time

And the only way to get through their personal quests and their conversations is to have them actively traveling with you, so I can totally see someone rotating through various party members to try and get all of the quests in the game

But you also can't always be switching characters, because sometimes you're trapped in an asylum or the underdark or whatever

Also certain party members will fucking murder each other if you put them together, which complicates things further

I want all options and to see all the content

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i actually agree with some of viv's ideas but usually only in the broadest sense, like there still needs to be checks and balances on mages, you can't just let them run totally free

but i feel like her own motivations are tied much more into gaining and keeping political power for herself and just generally getting to keep playing The Game

Yeah in the last thread I said

Viv and I would totally agree on building a homeless shelter

Except I'd do it cause people have to go somewhere to bed and get shelter

and she'd do it cause ew I don't want them sleeping near me

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Cassandra has correct opinions on the game

I think Cassandra has a lot in common with Garrus in that they both mirror your Inquisitor/Shepard if you present your views well and encourage them to think about shit

I don't like Viv because it feels like my Inquisitor sometimes becomes a different character around her

Like I saw the flirt button and I was like "hah, sure, why not!" and my inquisitor practically stammered out "d-do you think...one day...you and i" and i was like WOAH, that is NOT the person i have been throughout the game so far

have barely kept it in my pants, not gonna be some blushing schoolchild now

dude those cheekbones

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    i actually agree with some of viv's ideas but usually only in the broadest sense, like there still needs to be checks and balances on mages, you can't just let them run totally free

but i feel like her own motivations are tied much more into gaining and keeping political power for herself and just generally getting to keep playing The Game

She's also want there to be plenty of armed guards around that homeless shelter, because you know how dangerous homeless people are, listen to this anecdote Viv heard on the news about a homeless person attacking someone once!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Regarding Sera's sense of humour from previous topic.

The adult part of me groans at her childish jokes.

The infantile part of me giggles along with her and her facination with butts.

Also, the Viv/Blackwall banter makes me cringe. I mean, after a certain story part, I could understand her treating him like shit, but nope, he's a bloody lowborn, scum of the earth no matter what she knows about him. Dorian at least sounds charming, and does joke about things with Blackwall, while teasing him. Vivienne is just so condescending, and aside from two banters, I cringe when they talk.

My fave only pops up when Blackwall and the Inquisitor are a couple.
    Vivienne: Well, you two seem to make each other happy.
    Blackwall: And? Surely, you're not ending this on a complimentary note.
    Vivienne: I was just wondering how you imagined your future. The Inquisitor and the-- well, whatever you are now.
    Blackwall: Ah, I see. You think we're a poor match.
    Lady Vivienne, that woman there will stand with Thedas' mightiest because of who she is.
    She may choose whomever she pleases, even an undeserving nobody.
    Envy her for her ability to love freely, but recognize that envy is what it is.

Wow, that's a totally shitty thing to just throw out at someone, unprovoked.

It's a wonder I don't take her adventuring more often.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

On a single playthrough?

That should be impossible, in my mind.

If I can see all the content on a single playthrough of an RPG, I'm disappointed.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Now I actually like this idea

The Inquisitor has a big god damn birthday party, and everyone is invited, and everyone comes

The empress, the merchant princes, whoever the Hell is ruling Ferelden, the Warden-Commanders, an emissary of the Archon, hell we'll even get an Arishok in there, Josephine's whole family, the Pentaghasts, everybody come to my big birthday party

It will be schmooze-town

The Citadel DLC but for DA:I?

Yeah except (Champs of the just spoiler)
    some of us will have already done the evil clone story this time.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    My inquisitor may not be a blushing schoolchild, but I think it's realistic to have even the inquisitor be sexually intimidated by Vivienne.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I recruit everyone on my first playthrough because, well, how else am I gonna know what they're like. Subsequent games I will role play it more. My planned dwarfquisitor probably won't recruit Dorian or Viv because she won't like mages. My inqwizardor won't recruit people like Sera and Cole.

On a single playthrough?

That should be impossible, in my mind.

If I can see all the content on a single playthrough of an RPG, I'm disappointed.

Ah not for me

preferably I should be able to do everything

If there are mutually exclusive choices (like who to romance or what faction to align with) that's cool but I still want to hit all the major beats and be able to do all the major sidequests etc.

Cambiata wrote: »

She's also want there to be plenty of armed guards around that homeless shelter, because you know how dangerous homeless people are, listen to this anecdote Viv heard on the news about a homeless person attacking someone once!

also if someone froze to death she'd be like LOL why didnt you go to the shelter IDIOT

I recruit everyone on my first playthrough because, well, how else am I gonna know what they're like. Subsequent games I will role play it more. My planned dwarfquisitor probably won't recruit Dorian or Viv because she won't like mages. My inqwizardor won't recruit people like Sera and Cole.

This kind of falls in line with how I roll, too.

But I'm a big fan of mutually exclusive choices in my RPGs, overall. I'll generally start a game with a defined plan on major choices, primary party members, as so on. Just as a major aspect of the roleplaying element, really.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Here Lies the Abyss spoilers
    I had a bone to pick with Cassandra after this for her reaction to my bringing the Wardens into the Inquisition. First off, they kinda got brainwashed. Also, sure, kick them out of Orlais. Who does that hurt? Oh just whoever happens to be where they go after if they DO get brainwashed again. Keep 'em under our watch until we get this Corypheus shit sorted out. Plus, they're still the grey friggin wardens. We're gonna need 'em sooner or later.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think Witcher 2 made the boldest move in that regard by having a solid 50% of the game be entirely different based on the choice you make in Act 1

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think Witcher 2 made the boldest move in that regard by having a solid 50% of the game be entirely different based on the choice you make in Act 1

Yeah, in THAT case I don't mind replaying because its a very very different experience

I don't like when its like this one quest that locks me out of a different quest because I'm not going to replay it for that

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I had a bone to pick with Cassandra after this for her reaction to my bringing the Wardens into the Inquisition. First off, they kinda got brainwashed. Also, sure, kick them out of Orlais. Who does that hurt? Oh just whoever happens to be where they go after if they DO get brainwashed again. Keep 'em under our watch until we get this Corypheus shit sorted out. Plus, they're still the grey friggin wardens. We're gonna need 'em sooner or later.
    yeah, she's kinda silly about that one

she's like "after EVERYTHING they've done, you want to give them a second chance?!?!??!?!"

and I wanted to be like, "soooo they screwed up ONE TIME in a thousand years because of a really ridiculous circumstance and you want to give them the boot, meanwhile, we just discovered that the Seekers have been corrupt from the get-go and you think they're worth saving? can you please think about this for more than two seconds?"

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »
    yeah, she's kinda silly about that one

she's like "after EVERYTHING they've done, you want to give them a second chance?!?!??!?!"

and I wanted to be like, "soooo they screwed up ONE TIME in a thousand years because of a really ridiculous circumstance and you want to give them the boot, meanwhile, we just discovered that the Seekers have been corrupt from the get-go and you think they're worth saving? can you please think about this for more than two seconds?"
    I gave her a pass on this because she literally watched them murder Justinia

She's still in the wrong but I couldn't be mad at her for it

dN0T6ur.png
    GG did you ever finish the other branch of Witcher 2?

Yeah I did the second run like, almost immediately after the first
    I feel less cool about supporting Iorveth than I did with Roche but I think the quests in Iorveth's path are waaaaaaaay more fun

So I guess it's not clear to the rest of Thedas that you absolutely need Grey Wardens to kill an archdemon? You'd think they'd do more to make people aware, hey, you can't do this without us

Let me tell you my thoughts on the Grey Wardens
    I like them

dN0T6ur.png

I feel less cool about supporting Iorveth than I did with Roche but I think the quests in Iorveth's path are waaaaaaaay more fun

Nice

Yeah I agree about Iorveth but I think that path has so much more going for it - plus Saskia

Let me tell you my thoughts on the Grey Wardens
    I like them

everyone should like them at least a little considering THE BLIGHT

Nice

Yeah I agree about Iorveth but I think that path has so much more going for it - plus Saskia

Saskia is da bes
    Gimme a game where you play as her

Just make Dragon Age 4 about the Hero of Ferelden again, and whatever crazy bullshit they're doing now. Find out what their deal is.

And if they're supposed ot have died in your game? That happened. That's part of the mystery

dN0T6ur.png

Nice

Saskia is da bes
    Gimme a game where you play as her

It is a bummer that one of my favorite lady characters in games is only on one path of a game a lot of people haven't played in the first place that has some questionable decisions regarding gender

but she's totally rad yeah

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Just ran Here Lies the Abyss on my second playthrough, and I really have to give Bioware a thumbsup for paying attention to pointless little details that really make the game world a more engaging place
    Such as inquisition soldiers writing crude messages on the trebuchet stones they hurl at Adamant
    Stick that in your taint Blighty!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Are we comparing maleficarum and abominations with homeless people now because that seems kind of crazy.

Maddoc wrote: »

Are we comparing maleficarum and abominations with homeless people now because that seems kind of crazy.

A direct 1 to 1 comparison doesn't work, no.

Cole did a much better comparison with Blackwall, during their banter - Blackwall tells Cole he's dangerous. Cole says yes, like you.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Just make Dragon Age 4 about the Hero of Ferelden again, and whatever crazy bullshit they're doing now. Find out what their deal is.

And if they're supposed ot have died in your game? That happened. That's part of the mystery

the biggest mystery would be why they made it about the least interesting dragon age protagonist

Man I friggin love the Hero of Ferelden, eff the haters.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I too enjoy mute blank slates

Maddoc on
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    The male Hero will be voiced by Nolan North or Steve Blum and the female will be Tara Strong or Laura Bailey.

The Hero of Ferelden is me, if I had magical powers of persuasion, a hot Warden boyfriend, and both the ability and fiat to kill everything I see.

How could I not love her?

See, robot santa gets it.

the biggest mystery would be why they made it about the least interesting dragon age protagonist

It's partially just an opportunity to put a voice to them
    Yukira wrote: »
    The male Hero will be voiced by Nolan North or Steve Blum and the female will be Tara Strong or Laura Bailey.

Yeah if Laura Bailey used her Lucina voice then I would be perfectly happy with her as my City Elf Hero

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.