Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Steam] A Classy Christmas II; Day Seventeen Total: $7,197.90

1414244464787

Posts

  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Okay, we need to get this ball rolling again.

    At $6750, $7000, and $7250, the individuals who cross those thresholds get to pick what the next 3 games in my backlog (see here) I have to play until beaten before I can play any other games (excluding for when seeking card drops :P)

    Jragghen on
    BroncbusterTalus9952Pixelated PixieJazzcooljammer00MudzgutKoopahTroopahHeirTransparentEd GrubermanKarozEvmaAlsarHyphyKezzyDaxterMaxIoloElvenshaeStollsBeryllineThe Escape GoatCommander ZoomSoundsPlushSumanaiBrutal JDoctorArch
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Heads up for shmup fans, the rest of the indie cult classic Alltynex series has finally shown up on the Steam store. These games are less danmaku/bullet hell and more straight up STG games like Raiden. This stuff has been available other places for ages, it's great to see the series finally complete on Steam. On the plus side they have been updated to include steam leaderboards and cheevos and such. Hopefully they'll get cards, there is a lot of really killer art from this series that could be put to good use there.

    Drake on
    HeirTransparentbloodatonement
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    I feel like I would be awful at it, but holy cow Distance looks gorgeous. It looks like Blur and Tron had a baby.

    Yes, yes please. That does look amazing and has been wishlisted.

    They need to license the Tron soundtrack.

    Wait. Wait wait waiiiiiittt a minute.

    I recognize that game.

    Shit.

    I played it a PAX After-party! There was a setup in the top floor of this bar. It looked good then but seeing it with even more polish is remarkable. Awesome to see the change over time.

    Ianator
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Looks like 13-2 has the same issues as 13, wildly fluctuating framerate despite that the game doesn't really use hardly any of your hardware.

    Sigh. Guess I'll hope for a discount during the Winter Dale.

    I swear Square is the worst at porting things. I feel like they get it running successfully one time and are all, "Good job guys, ship it!"

    I don't have any problems with 13. It runs pretty well and fps are stable considering my pc is really low spec.

    camo_sig2.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Looks like 13-2 has the same issues as 13, wildly fluctuating framerate despite that the game doesn't really use hardly any of your hardware.

    Sigh. Guess I'll hope for a discount during the Winter Dale.

    I swear Square is the worst at porting things. I feel like they get it running successfully one time and are all, "Good job guys, ship it!"

    I don't have any problems with 13. It runs pretty well and fps are stable considering my pc is really low spec.

    Hit Escape. Do it, I dare ya.
    You'll get a confirmation box. Prior to the patch a few weeks ago, you got no box.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja King of The Ninjaverse Behind YouRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Hey it's a free multiplayer weekend for CoD AW and 15 bucks off if anyone was curious about it.

    Is there campaign coop at all?

    The survival exo missions I believe

    Come join me on Twitch!
    PSN: Halfazedninja
    Steam
    Battle.net: Halfazzninja#1781
    Nintendo Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113
    camo_sig2.png
    Like some ground-ass, motherfuckin’ beef. - Tycho
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    Has anyone got the Christmas box from square Enix store? It's 5 pounds, a pc download and contains six steam keys worth 70 pounds. Wondering what it contains.

    The system requirements seem to suggest one of the games is Murdered: Soul Suspect.

    steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Looks like 13-2 has the same issues as 13, wildly fluctuating framerate despite that the game doesn't really use hardly any of your hardware.

    Sigh. Guess I'll hope for a discount during the Winter Dale.

    I swear Square is the worst at porting things. I feel like they get it running successfully one time and are all, "Good job guys, ship it!"

    I don't have any problems with 13. It runs pretty well and fps are stable considering my pc is really low spec.

    Stable as in it stays at 60 and never dips? Because generally just doing an attack like Blitz in battle brings it down to 40ish for me, even if I'm running the game at 1080p or 4k. Can run it absolutely cranked up or really low and it'll never solve some of the FPS drops in battle.

    It's still playable, but it has no reason to fluctuate like that given it doesn't seem to use a lot of GPU or CPU.

    steam_sig.png
    Add me on PSN, Raptr and Wii U and probably every other gaming service under the name: Corpekata
    3ds Friend code: 2251-4724-0730
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Hey it's a free multiplayer weekend for CoD AW and 15 bucks off if anyone was curious about it.

    Is there campaign coop at all?

    The survival exo missions I believe

    Booooooo, horde mode is cool but it's not the same. :(

    steam_sig.png
    Panda4You
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Sumanai wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Looks like 13-2 has the same issues as 13, wildly fluctuating framerate despite that the game doesn't really use hardly any of your hardware.

    Sigh. Guess I'll hope for a discount during the Winter Dale.

    I swear Square is the worst at porting things. I feel like they get it running successfully one time and are all, "Good job guys, ship it!"

    I don't have any problems with 13. It runs pretty well and fps are stable considering my pc is really low spec.

    I really only had a problem with the last level. With all the things moving on the level, and no real way to change graphical settings to make it not drop as many frames, it took a while to get through it. The last level was mostly a slideshow for me.

    EDIT: But then again, my GPU is over 4 years old.

    Talus9952 on
    steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    Has anyone got the Christmas box from square Enix store? It's 5 pounds, a pc download and contains six steam keys worth 70 pounds. Wondering what it contains.

    The system requirements seem to suggest one of the games is Murdered: Soul Suspect.

    seems like it is only EU people

    camo_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    If anyone needs anymore convincing to get Distance, I'd like to toss my two cents in as a Kickstarter backer from 2ish years ago.

    If you like racing games, get this game. It's very much like the Rush series from N64. I haven't played since the alpha build before Steam access, but what I have played is very very fun. The game speaks for itself(and reviews are so far overwhelmingly positive) but the designers are really what I'd like to push. They're extremely transparent and are honestly an inspiration to me for when I start updating/blogging about my own stuff. These are the kind of people we need creating games. I've gotten countless weekly(sometimes bi-weekly) kickstarter emails with updates on various additions and I've taken the time to read each one when received. Not only are they one of the few developers delivering on their kickstarter promises, but the product they are creating is kick ass as well. They are awesome.

    P.S. Writing a negative review for the sake of lowering the review score is dumb. At least have negative criticism instead of praising the game you're telling people to not buy.

    KoopahTroopah on
    ?username=KoopahTroopah&theme=light

    Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN/Xbox - 1639-6388-9968/KoopahTroopah - Switch
    HalfazedninjaKalnaurEd Grubermandestroyah87Panda4YouArcSynCommander Zoom
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Is anyone else's Enhanced Steam Chrome extension making the Steam webclient a little... hashtaggy?

    R9UCMPX.png?2

    (It doesn't seem to do this in IE at least so I'm assuming it's Enhanced Steam)

    Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

    SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm on Chrome and run Enhanced Steam with no octothorps to be seen.

    jclast on
    steam_sig.png
    SumanaiEvmaAlsarJazzElvenshae
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Okay, we need to get this ball rolling again.

    At $6750, $7000, and $7250, the individuals who cross those thresholds get to pick what the next 3 games in my backlog (see here) I have to play until beaten before I can play any other games (excluding for when seeking card drops :P)

    A good opportunity to make someone play through Amnesia, people!

    HalfazedninjaEd Gruberman
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I'm on Chrome and run Enhanced Steam with no octothorps to be seen.

    Weird. Just did a refresh and they are gone now. I'm pretty sure I even did a refresh before. Oh well.

    steam_sig.png

    SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    CroakerBC
  • TreadLifeTreadLife Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    Huh, just got a full refund of the Lara Croft purchase from Gamersgate. Fortunately, thanks to remote desktop, I've already activated they key.

    Steam doesn't usually deactivate games, so I guess I'll see what happens.

    Good luck to those of you who got that price error. The last one they had, they removed the game from people's Gamersgate libraries relatively quickly, and announced they would deactivate the keys, removing them from Steam accounts. Took a bit longer for that to happen, more than enough time for cards to be idled, but they did indeed take the games back from Steam accounts.
    The game that time was Warlock 2, by the way.

    steam_sig.png
    cooljammer00
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    That's exceedingly shitty. You sold a thing, you deal with the consequences.

    steam_sig.png
    DrovekKoopahTroopahPolaritieJeixJazz38thDoeUndead ScottsmanElvenshaean_altcooljammer00f3rret
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    That's exceedingly shitty. You sold a thing, you deal with the consequences.

    Ehhhh. After seeing the feeding frenzy that was Dead Rising's price error, with people buying multiple copies for the sole reason of profiting off the error, I don't think this is the right attitude to be taking.

    They did not intend to sell a thing at a particular price, that's the key thing to remember here. This sort of thing is why I got out of paralegal stuff, because I hated seeing someone wield the letter of the law like a weapon in violation of its spirit.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    SoundsPlushKoopahTroopahKalnaurEvmaAlsarKarozOrogogusakajaybayCommander Zoom
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Eh, I don't know. They can lose a load of money on simple errors like that, and someone's going to pay for it in the end. I think anytime you get in on one of those, you should be grateful if it sticks and unchagrined if it doesn't, provided they refund you without issue.

    s7Imn5J.png
    KalnaurTalus9952IoloCommander Zoom
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    @Ed Gruberman‌ I had that pop up in chrome last week, and I don't use enhanced steam

    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Eh, I don't know. They can lose a load of money on simple errors like that, and someone's going to pay for it in the end. I think anytime you get in on one of those, you should be grateful if it sticks and unchagrined if it doesn't, provided they refund you without issue.

    I could see both sides, but I agree more with this as long as customers get their money back.

    Ideally, I would find a way to make these sort of pricing errors beneficial to both the storefront and the developer. Sort of like momentary flash deals or something where first so-so orders go at a hugely discounted price but as more people buy them the less discounted they become. Kind of like how Humble Bundle does it with beat the averages but with a larger decrease in discount as orders increase. That way stores are selling more copies of games and getting increased ad revenue from more people f5-ing their site for deals, and devs are getting their product in the hands of more people.

    Then again, I could also see that these sort of things just happen and distributers aren't sure why yet.

    KoopahTroopah on
    ?username=KoopahTroopah&theme=light

    Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN/Xbox - 1639-6388-9968/KoopahTroopah - Switch
    Kalnaur
  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I'm on Chrome and run Enhanced Steam with no octothorps to be seen.

    I done learnded a new word! <3

    I haz a smrt.

    Talus9952
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    @The Brayster‌ pulled up next to me in a longboat and lodged a copy of Mount & Blade: Warband dlc in my spine! The totally awesome looking Viking Conquest. It was made by a team that made a fancy historical mod for Warband. No not that one! The other one, the good one. Brytanwaldenhallastein or something. I only heard about it, never played it but it is supposed to be fantastic. And hell, I managed to have some fun playing around With Fire & Sword so yeah, this should be great.

    Thanks Bray!

    KoopahTroopahSoundsPlushEvmaAlsarEd GrubermanPixelated Pixiedestroyah87JazzTalus9952KarozHeirTransparentElvenshaeIoloan_altTeeManStollsBeryllineThe Escape GoatHyphyKezzyKrummithBrutal Jironsizide
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Madican wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    That's exceedingly shitty. You sold a thing, you deal with the consequences.

    Ehhhh. After seeing the feeding frenzy that was Dead Rising's price error, with people buying multiple copies for the sole reason of profiting off the error, I don't think this is the right attitude to be taking.

    They did not intend to sell a thing at a particular price, that's the key thing to remember here. This sort of thing is why I got out of paralegal stuff, because I hated seeing someone wield the letter of the law like a weapon in violation of its spirit.

    I get where you're coming from, but the customer did nothing wrong here. The store shouldn't have the right to come into my PC and take things away from me. They made a mistake. It's unfortunate for them; I get that. Maybe in the future they implement new procedures to protect against boneheads doing boneheaded things.

    The reason it makes me mad is because this is pretty analogous to me going into a grocery store, noticing that a thing I like (saw Multi-Grain Cheerios because I'm a boring grown-up) is selling for 1/3 the normal price which is, I don't know, $2 instead of $6. I load up my cart with 10 boxes, go to the check-out and am happy that I'm flush for cereal for the next 10 months. I'm going to be right pissed if 3 hours later King Sooper guys come to my house, raid my pantry, drop $20 on the counter, and insist that we're square.

    Hell, I didn't even buy one and I'm offended that they're revoking keys after issuing them. Nobody hacked their servers and changed the price - they offered it for sale and people took them up on it.

    jclast on
    steam_sig.png
    PoseidonHounElvenshaean_altcooljammer00Kalnaur
  • PoseidonPoseidon Aqua regis Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    That's exceedingly shitty. You sold a thing, you deal with the consequences.

    Ehhhh. After seeing the feeding frenzy that was Dead Rising's price error, with people buying multiple copies for the sole reason of profiting off the error, I don't think this is the right attitude to be taking.

    They did not intend to sell a thing at a particular price, that's the key thing to remember here. This sort of thing is why I got out of paralegal stuff, because I hated seeing someone wield the letter of the law like a weapon in violation of its spirit.
    But Dead Rising keys weren't revoked which makes me a little sad as I couldn't claim one : p

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    That's exceedingly shitty. You sold a thing, you deal with the consequences.

    Ehhhh. After seeing the feeding frenzy that was Dead Rising's price error, with people buying multiple copies for the sole reason of profiting off the error, I don't think this is the right attitude to be taking.

    They did not intend to sell a thing at a particular price, that's the key thing to remember here. This sort of thing is why I got out of paralegal stuff, because I hated seeing someone wield the letter of the law like a weapon in violation of its spirit.

    I get where you're coming from, but the customer did nothing wrong here. The store shouldn't have the right to come into my PC and take things away from me. They made a mistake. It's unfortunate for them; I get that. Maybe in the future they implement new procedures to protect against boneheads doing boneheaded things.

    The reason it makes me mad is because this is pretty analogous to me going into a grocery store, noticing that a thing I like (saw Multi-Grain Cheerios because I'm a boring grown-up) is selling for 1/3 the normal price which is, I don't know, $2 instead of $6. I load up my cart with 10 boxes, go to the check-out and am happy that I'm flush for cereal for the next 10 months. I'm going to be right pissed in 3 hours later King Sooper guys come to my house, raid my pantry, drop $20 on the counter, and insist that we're square.

    Hell, I didn't even buy one and I'm offended that they're revoking keys after issuing them. Nobody hacked their servers and changed the price - they offered it for sale and many people took them up on it.

    See, that's where we differ. You say the customer did nothing wrong, but you didn't actually think that the price was the correct one did you? You knew there was an error and you took advantage of it knowingly.

    Funny you mention grocery stores in relation to this. Not too long ago there was an error with EBT where the cards had an "unlimited" amount on them, spurring people to literally clean out Walmarts until the error was fixed. The government didn't come to their homes and take their food though, they identified the ones who had abused the program and dealt with them. It was the system's error, yes, but the ones using it knew better and chose to do it anyway and were punished for it.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    KoopahTroopahKalnaurCommander Zoom
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC YorkRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I'm on Chrome and run Enhanced Steam with no octothorps to be seen.

    Weird. Just did a refresh and they are gone now. I'm pretty sure I even did a refresh before. Oh well.

    I had a display issue with wish list, but it's tidied itself up. Looks sorted.

  • ZxerolZxerol Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Madican wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    That's exceedingly shitty. You sold a thing, you deal with the consequences.

    Ehhhh. After seeing the feeding frenzy that was Dead Rising's price error, with people buying multiple copies for the sole reason of profiting off the error, I don't think this is the right attitude to be taking.

    They did not intend to sell a thing at a particular price, that's the key thing to remember here. This sort of thing is why I got out of paralegal stuff, because I hated seeing someone wield the letter of the law like a weapon in violation of its spirit.

    I get where you're coming from, but the customer did nothing wrong here. The store shouldn't have the right to come into my PC and take things away from me. They made a mistake. It's unfortunate for them; I get that. Maybe in the future they implement new procedures to protect against boneheads doing boneheaded things.

    The reason it makes me mad is because this is pretty analogous to me going into a grocery store, noticing that a thing I like (saw Multi-Grain Cheerios because I'm a boring grown-up) is selling for 1/3 the normal price which is, I don't know, $2 instead of $6. I load up my cart with 10 boxes, go to the check-out and am happy that I'm flush for cereal for the next 10 months. I'm going to be right pissed in 3 hours later King Sooper guys come to my house, raid my pantry, drop $20 on the counter, and insist that we're square.

    Hell, I didn't even buy one and I'm offended that they're revoking keys after issuing them. Nobody hacked their servers and changed the price - they offered it for sale and many people took them up on it.

    See, that's where we differ. You say the customer did nothing wrong, but you didn't actually think that the price was the correct one did you? You knew there was an error and you took advantage of it knowingly.

    Funny you mention grocery stores in relation to this. Not too long ago there was an error with EBT where the cards had an "unlimited" amount on them, spurring people to literally clean out Walmarts until the error was fixed. The government didn't come to their homes and take their food though, they identified the ones who had abused the program and dealt with them. It was the system's error, yes, but the ones using it knew better and chose to do it anyway and were punished for it.

    Price was as-is. You think a consumer did something wrong by buying something at a stated price, regardless of their cognition of whether it was a mistake or not? That's silly. And EBT, as a government program that is run by tax dollars, would of course be much more restrictive, and not nearly analogous to consumers taking advantage of a pricing error.

    Zxerol on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I don't know exactly where my line is. Finding out that my credit limit is suddenly infinite with no interest charges isn't something I'd dig. Hell, I pre-paid my cell phone for about 6 months even though Cingular (remember them?) forgot to send me bills and insisted I didn't owe anything because I knew the day was coming when they'd pull their head out of their ass and insist that I pay for the services I was getting.

    There's a reason I used the Cheerios as my example. Just 2 days ago I bought 4 boxes for $1.50 because the store was running a sale and I had a coupon.

    Price error though? That's on the store. Particularly for digital games that are regularly discounted deeply or (in the case of GoG and Humble) geven away wholesale. I wouldn't honestly be surprised if somebody offered a brand new game for 50% off just to get me in their ecosystem. Hell, Sony gave plus subscribers Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on release as part of their service. It's not the customer's fault that Gamersgate has such lax procedures that nobody double-checks prices before they go live or that two people missed the same mistake. It's not the customer's fault that Gamersgate took a while to fix their error.

    I don't know what the law is (and clearly it's not what I think it should be), but if you list a thing, and I can put it in my cart, make it through the checkout process, input a key into Steam, and download and play the game, I should be 100% confident that the game is mine for good and nobody is going to forcefully yank it back from me.

    jclast on
    steam_sig.png
    Elvenshae
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    That's exceedingly shitty. You sold a thing, you deal with the consequences.

    Especially the second time. How did they not put a process into place to double check this kind of thing?

    steam_sig.png
    Elvenshae
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I wouldn't begrudge them taking back the Osiris key if they do. Some of those retail rules about pricing are there to protect consumers from shady business practices. I think the coming into my home and taking the thing I bought from analogy doesn't entirely equate anymore. I mean we're already basically buying licenses to play games that have all kinds of weird "You don't own this" issues.
    And I like many other knew that was a mistaken price and not a legit sale.
    It also wasn't an attempt to underprice something and drive traffic to their store in the hopes you'd buy something else once you were told that price was incorrect.

    steam_sig.png
    Game Music I Enjoyed
    "Say fellas, did someone mention the Door to Darkness?" -Mickey Mouse
    FFXIV Sargatanas Server: Archie Banner
    Kalnaur
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    That's exceedingly shitty. You sold a thing, you deal with the consequences.

    Especially the second time. How did they not put a process into place to double check this kind of thing?

    Yeah, as much as I can see their point (mistakes can be costly), there are plenty of other places which do honor them and it just makes them look bad.

    steam_sig.png
    Jazz
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Not everyone can survive a price mistake like that. I'm not sure what the volume was, but it could be big enough to seriously put a dent in their business.

    steam_sig.png
    SumanaiKalnaur
  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    Just checked, Gamersgate have pulled the game from my account with them (for anyone who hasn't used them, they keep a "My Library" of the games you've bought from them on your account).

    However, I've received no email (yet) about a refund and the game is still in my Steam library.

    CroakerBC
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I wouldn't begrudge them taking back the Osiris key if they do. Some of those retail rules about pricing are there to protect consumers from shady business practices. I think the coming into my home and taking the thing I bought from analogy doesn't entirely equate anymore. I mean we're already basically buying licenses to play games that have all kinds of weird "You don't own this" issues.
    And I like many other knew that was a mistaken price and not a legit sale.
    It also wasn't an attempt to underprice something and drive traffic to their store in the hopes you'd buy something else once you were told that price was incorrect.

    As a consumer, it is not my prerogative to make assumptions about their business decisions; mine is but to purchase quality goods at competitive prices. That they aggressively undercut the competition is not a cause for concern on my part, but a reason to make a smart purchasing decision. The relationship between consumer and retailer is adversarial, with each attempting to gain the better "value" from the transaction.

    And while I get that software is wrapped up in strange "license not ownership" issues, that is also due to the adversarial relationship between consumers and retailers. "Ownership" is better value for a consumer, while "License" is a better value for a retailer. This may sit on the spectrum in favor of the retailer currently, but societal shifts in opinion and retailers willing to trade off some of that value for customer loyalty (see the history of digital music) that needle can also move.

    Basically what I'm saying is, it's up to the retailer to price their shit correctly, and if they goose over people that purchased goods from them at that price, then they'll only serve to push consumers to other retailers that will better respect their advertised prices.

    JazzDrakejclastElvenshae
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I don't know what the law is (and clearly it's not what I think it should be), but if you list a thing, and I can put it in my cart, make it through the checkout process, input a key into Steam, and download and play the game, I should be 100% confident that the game is mine for good and nobody is going to forcefully yank it back from me.

    I dunno, I don't think the mechanism of the sale is itself solely legitimizing. I don't fault anyone for jumping on a mistaken price (lord knows I do it), but I don't think there's an equal right of entitlement as a normal transaction, so like...I just don't think there's a right to outrage if $60 Dead Rising 3 for $1 was rescinded, for example.

    But then I also think it's kinda dubious to pitch a single penny at a Humble Bundle even when the sellers accept that in the offer, so I can't really rouse anger at people who wake up to discover they lost thousands of dollars because their fuck up got war horned on Reddit.

    s7Imn5J.png
    KoopahTroopahOrogogusKalnaur
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC YorkRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I don't know what the law is (and clearly it's not what I think it should be), but if you list a thing, and I can put it in my cart, make it through the checkout process, input a key into Steam, and download and play the game, I should be 100% confident that the game is mine for good and nobody is going to forcefully yank it back from me.

    I dunno, I don't think the mechanism of the sale is itself solely legitimizing. I don't fault anyone for jumping on a mistaken price (lord knows I do it), but I don't think there's an equal right of entitlement as a normal transaction, so like...I just don't think there's a right to outrage if $60 Dead Rising 3 for $1 was rescinded, for example.

    But then I also think it's kinda dubious to pitch a single penny at a Humble Bundle even when the sellers accept that in the offer, so I can't really rouse anger at people who wake up to discover they lost thousands of dollars because their fuck up got war horned on Reddit.

    I would argue that given an intent to offer, at a price which was not, intrinsically, obviously incorrect, the retailer is at fault for concluded transactions. And British courts agree. Accidentally charge a £2000 TV at £20? You can argue the consumer was aware there was an issue, and in UK courts, likely rescind the order. Charge a £20 game at £7, and you have an issue that the consumer can (and in my case will) argue they were unaware of.

    ...interesting stuff.

  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Dutch law on this would center around credible pricing. This is probably a case where sales could get annulled because of the price.

    My real interest is why Steam is cooperating. Especially if it isn't the first time.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    That's the other thing. Deep discounts aren't outlandish on digital games anymore - even for new titles. Hell, I can preorder stuff at a discount. I legitimately would not be surprised at a retailer offering a digital title for 50% off or more on release to attract customers to their service.

    jclast on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.