As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] A Classy Christmas II; Day Seventeen Total: $7,197.90

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I wouldn't begrudge them taking back the Osiris key if they do. Some of those retail rules about pricing are there to protect consumers from shady business practices. I think the coming into my home and taking the thing I bought from analogy doesn't entirely equate anymore. I mean we're already basically buying licenses to play games that have all kinds of weird "You don't own this" issues.
    And I like many other knew that was a mistaken price and not a legit sale.
    It also wasn't an attempt to underprice something and drive traffic to their store in the hopes you'd buy something else once you were told that price was incorrect.

Basically what I'm saying is, it's up to the retailer to price their shit correctly, and if they goose over people that purchased goods from them at that price, then they'll only serve to push consumers to other retailers that will better respect their advertised prices.

I do agree that they need to weigh the customers reaction to having the games pulled back vs how much they stand to lose if they don't.
    I also kind of don't think if in the future Gamersgate had the best price on a game there'd be a whole lot of people taking a principled stand against buying it from them because of them pulling games back after a pricing error.

It's weird there's been 0 messaging from them about it. I saw the refund because Paypal emailed me about it. Otherwise I haven't heard a peep from them.

I'm generally all about consumer rights. I HATE the way things have gone in terms of digital ownership rights, and how so much of it is on the goodwill of the companies involved. But at the same time it feels a bit weird to ignore the aspect of it that is the internet feeding frenzy on pricing errors. Retail stores aren't going to be subject to the world suddenly buying thousands of a thing they priced in error in the course of 10 minutes in the same way the internet is capable of doing. My adversarial desire to get something cheap is not strong enough to want to run a company into the ground because they fucked up and too bad for you. I don't know where the balance is there, the enforcing of, hey you need to price your stuff right, or X. I think in some areas if a store screwed up their pricing they had to credit you $5 or something like that. But that was like a state based thing, so I don't know how the internet is going to have anything like that applied to them.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    We are over halfway to beating last year's total!

Also, we are less than $1,300 from our next incentive. Give! Give! Giiiiiive!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    That's the other thing. Deep discounts aren't outlandish on digital games anymore - even for new titles. Hell, I can preorder stuff at a discount. I legitimately would not be surprised at a retailer offering a digital title for 50% off or more on release to attract customers to their service.

Post-scarcity economy at work.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had a copy of Warlock 2 that Gamersgate had put up accidentally for free. I grabbed it knowing it was a mistake and a while later they pulled it from my GG and Steam accounts. I didn't complain, easy come easy go. The result though is this is now my thought process; I hear that GG has a great deal on something but man, they make a lot of mistakes. And they will pull products from my account even though it's their mistake. Don't think I'm doing much shopping at GG anymore.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I find the fact that they can pull a game from your Steam account, with no interaction with the customer, more disturbing than the fact that they're exercising their ability to do so if that makes sense. That makes me more nervous about Steam than it does about Gamersgate. But Steam is already the best example of digital game platform and the pros have outweighed the cons for me.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I wouldn't begrudge them taking back the Osiris key if they do. Some of those retail rules about pricing are there to protect consumers from shady business practices. I think the coming into my home and taking the thing I bought from analogy doesn't entirely equate anymore. I mean we're already basically buying licenses to play games that have all kinds of weird "You don't own this" issues.
    And I like many other knew that was a mistaken price and not a legit sale.
    It also wasn't an attempt to underprice something and drive traffic to their store in the hopes you'd buy something else once you were told that price was incorrect.

Basically what I'm saying is, it's up to the retailer to price their shit correctly, and if they goose over people that purchased goods from them at that price, then they'll only serve to push consumers to other retailers that will better respect their advertised prices.

I do agree that they need to weigh the customers reaction to having the games pulled back vs how much they stand to lose if they don't.
    I also kind of don't think if in the future Gamersgate had the best price on a game there'd be a whole lot of people taking a principled stand against buying it from them because of them pulling games back after a pricing error.

It's weird there's been 0 messaging from them about it. I saw the refund because Paypal emailed me about it. Otherwise I haven't heard a peep from them.

I'm generally all about consumer rights. I HATE the way things have gone in terms of digital ownership rights, and how so much of it is on the goodwill of the companies involved. But at the same time it feels a bit weird to ignore the aspect of it that is the internet feeding frenzy on pricing errors. Retail stores aren't going to be subject to the world suddenly buying thousands of a thing they priced in error in the course of 10 minutes in the same way the internet is capable of doing. My adversarial desire to get something cheap is not strong enough to want to run a company into the ground because they fucked up and too bad for you. I don't know where the balance is there, the enforcing of, hey you need to price your stuff right, or X. I think in some areas if a store screwed up their pricing they had to credit you $5 or something like that. But that was like a state based thing, so I don't know how the internet is going to have anything like that applied to them.

1. Conversely, digital retailers aren't going to suddenly run out of stock of an infinitely replicating and ephemeral good when there is a run on it. They can still theoretically sell an infinite number of that good after correcting the error.
    2. Your "desire" to not "run a company into the ground" is likely based on some moral or ethical principal. I assure you, the corporate entity is completely amoral and would have no qualms about running a consumer into the ground so long as there was no lasting effect on it's ability to raise capital.

Really, mistakes happen. Just own them, learn from them, move on. Maybe build into your system a check that no discount can exceed x% of MSRP without manual human authorization?

• Options
    I do find the fact that they can pull a game from your Steam account, with no interaction with the customer, more disturbing than the fact that they're exercising their ability to do so if that makes sense.

This is why I don't get into the trading and key reseller scene. And now I'm going to treat great deals that come with Steam keys at other digital retailers substantially differently. I still feel pretty secure about purchases made through the Steam storefront.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    1. Conversely, digital retailers aren't going to suddenly run out of stock of an infinitely replicating and ephemeral good when there is a run on it. They can still theoretically sell an infinite number of that good after correcting the error.

Doesn't that make it worse? I mean, presumably they have a finite supply of keys available, but it far exceeds shelf space for a physical item, which would otherwise offer a fairly modest limit on an error's maximum damage.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Now I know CHOP has an Amazon wishlist....somewhere. I've bought for it before. I have no idea where to find it now, can someone help me out?

• Options
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Awesome! How did you go about finding it? Am I stupid?

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    You can grab a beta key for Block N Load here:
    http://www.videogamer.com/features/competition/grab_your_block_n_load_beta_key.htm
    It's a "blockcraft" style FPS from the same team behind Ace of Spades, but this one has a more cartoony art style and a Mexican Ninja named Juan.
    You can get a beta key through the official site too, but you need to enter more info than in the link above.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Awesome! How did you go about finding it? Am I stupid?

Go to the Child's Play page, find a hospital near you, zoom in on the map, click the tag for the specific hospital, view Amazon wishlist.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    http://steamcommunity.com/auction

Holiday Meta event that starts before the sale. Recycle your inventory items for gems, bid on games.

Auctions start on the 15th but it looks like you can start now.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Recycle Steam Community items like Trading Cards, backgrounds, and emoticons from your Inventory into Gems and use it to bid on games up for auction. The first auction round ends on 15 Dec @ 3:00pm with a new round ending every 45 minutes until the last auction round ends on 18 Dec @ 6:00pm. At the end of each auction round, the top bidder for each title wins.

Pro tip: Need more items to turn into Gems? More than 1,200 games on Steam drop Trading Cards just for playing them. Find out which of your games has drops remaining on your Badges page. Also, don’t forget to craft the Trading Cards into badges, the resulting emoticons and backgrounds have a higher Gem value. If you have nothing in your Inventory to recycle, you can also trade for Gems or purchase them on the Community Market.

The Auction runs 15 Dec @ 3:00pm to 18 Dec @ 6:00pm when the Holiday Sale begins.

That seems terrifyingly effective.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Effective way to prune the marketplace of junk and get paid for it at the same time.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Recycle Steam Community items like Trading Cards, backgrounds, and emoticons from your Inventory into Gems and use it to bid on games up for auction. The first auction round ends on 15 Dec @ 3:00pm with a new round ending every 45 minutes until the last auction round ends on 18 Dec @ 6:00pm. At the end of each auction round, the top bidder for each title wins.

Pro tip: Need more items to turn into Gems? More than 1,200 games on Steam drop Trading Cards just for playing them. Find out which of your games has drops remaining on your Badges page. Also, don’t forget to craft the Trading Cards into badges, the resulting emoticons and backgrounds have a higher Gem value. If you have nothing in your Inventory to recycle, you can also trade for Gems or purchase them on the Community Market.

The Auction runs 15 Dec @ 3:00pm to 18 Dec @ 6:00pm when the Holiday Sale begins.

That seems terrifyingly effective.

This is dangerous indeed...

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Not sure what to think of that. The collector in me is hesitant to burn much in the way of backgrounds or emotes even though I rarely ever use them.
    I wonder what, if anything happens when the sale begins.

• Options
    Not sure what to think of that. The collector in me is hesitant to burn much in the way of backgrounds or emotes even though I rarely ever use them.
    I wonder what, if anything happens when the sale begins.

Well, look at the stuff up for auction and decide if you want any of it.

Worst case scenario is you get sniped on all the auction items you want and are left with 10,000 gems that turn into dust after the sale which... okay, that's pretty bad.

• Options
    The Gems remain after the auction ends.
    They can be used to create booster packs.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    And Valve's pocket economist just keeps laughing and laughing ...

• Options
    Actually this is pretty interesting. Gems and the gem mechanism stick around afterwards.
    What happens to Steam Gems after the Holiday Auction ends?
    Gems will not disappear from your Inventory after the Holiday Auction event ends. You can continue making and using it to create Booster Packs.

So there's now a built in way to generate cards for a specific game if you don't want to go the sell/buy route in the market.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Can we sell coupons we'll never use and ugly chat emotes? If so, glad I didn't trade them to the trash bot

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Or you can even just pulp every card you ever get and just sell the gems if you don't want the hassle of dealing with trying to price each card properly. Just throw it all in the wood chipper and sell the dust.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    *glances at his market*

182 listings.

I also have been keeping 1 emoticon for every one I get, and only listing duplicates.

TIME TO MAKE SOME GEMS.

• Options
    100 gem bid of Bad Rats already

• Options
    Steam Winter Sale - War of the Gems

We need a photoshopper.

That reminds me, thanks to @Iolo‌ for the gift of Endless Space - Disharmony.

• Options
    Gem value is weird.

Some things selling for 3 cents are worth 20 gems, but a background I have worth 18 cents is only worth 10.

....wonder how the crafting booster packs works. Some of the more valuable booster packs (in terms of value of cards) you might be able ot swing a profit.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    And Valve's pocket economist just keeps laughing and laughing ...

I often picture Valve's economist and psychiatrist in sexual liaison, surrounded by Romanesque opulence. As they copulate their ecstatic exclamations are recorded by eunuch scribes. Gabe Newell then decodes these recordings with a combination of computer wizardry and astrology.

And the Steamconomy thunders on.

Drake on
  • Options
    And the Church background from Binfinite is worth 80 gems.

This is really weird.

• Options
    The background B is worth 100 gems and has tons of listings of it for 3 cents in the market.

Just fyi.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Some things selling for 3 cents are worth 20 gems, but a background I have worth 18 cents is only worth 10.

To the Arbitragemobile!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Glancing at the auction, I will never have enough gems to ever get anything interesting, ergo, I feel no need to turn useless items into useless gems.

Economics!

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Yeah, I had a copy of Warlock 2 that Gamersgate had put up accidentally for free. I grabbed it knowing it was a mistake and a while later they pulled it from my GG and Steam accounts. I didn't complain, easy come easy go. The result though is this is now my thought process; I hear that GG has a great deal on something but man, they make a lot of mistakes. And they will pull products from my account even though it's their mistake. Don't think I'm doing much shopping at GG anymore.

What?? They can do that?? Yeah, that makes me not want to support them anymore either.

Yeah yeah, it was a mistake, it was free, I know, but there's still something wrong about that. Own up to your own mistake and let the people who got it, keep it. That happened recently with gog, I think it was? And they sent that email out saying, yeah, our mistake, but enjoy your games! I respect them a lot more for doing that, and maybe I'm weird, but that just makes me want to spend more money on their site.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

I'm with you, while I hadn't shopped at them, I'm not inclined to do it ever now. Same reason I don't use nuvem? What ever that site some people use. I have heard of issues, and I'm not willing. As far as I know all accidentally steam pricing get honored.

I think the one about is it a reasonable price is the best comment. $1 dollar for brand new game? I can see that being a mistake. 10? Meh, I wouldn't have really known it was, other than you all told me it was.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    MY BRAIN IS DRIBBLING OUT OF MY EARS.

I can't even.

• Options
    Glancing at the auction, I will never have enough gems to ever get anything interesting, ergo, I feel no need to turn useless items into useless gems.

Economics!

1) List those items for sale, because this will probably get people to buy more backgrounds/emoticons. This is ABSOLUTELY a way to try to clear out some of that glut. I'm trying to decide if I want to list my items or craft them myself because I have enough stuff that I actually have a shot at winning a game. I also would like to clean up my market page because it's fucking huge.

• Options
    Yeah the duplicate winter/summer sale backgrounds were worth 100 gems each.

Looking at the auction amounts now keep this in mind. The current listings are for the auction that runs from now until Monday.
    THEN the auctions are going to reset every 45 minutes. This first auction's amounts are going to be super inflated vs the rest.
    Although people will also have generated a lot more gems by Monday also.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Jragghen wrote: »
    The background B is worth 100 gems and has tons of listings of it for 3 cents in the market.

Just fyi.

There were 94,000 of them for sale when I opened the page just now.

Down to 88,000 now.

Edit: 87,000. All purchases are being made at 0.04 now.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Also, cards for the Holiday sale drop for crafting now, instead of coupons. There does not appear to be any gem drops from crafting, at least so far. I would assume those get added.

This discussion has been closed.