As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] A Classy Christmas II; Day Seventeen Total: $7,197.90

• jogernautjogernaut BisonopolisRegistered User regular
    Sanctum:
    Loading...?

steam_sig.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So in a weird quirk of the market, so many people are underbidding one another with sacks of gems that the price is being driven down towards 20 cents, while buy orders are still up over 30 because people wnat priority in the queue.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    You know what takes a while? Turning 100 backgrounds into gems.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So in a weird quirk of the market, so many people are underbidding one another with sacks of gems that the price is being driven down towards 20 cents, while buy orders are still up over 30 because people wnat priority in the queue.

People are idiots. 30 cents is parity with community chaff right now (the lowest possible price for something is .03)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

People are idiots. 30 cents is parity with community chaff right now (the lowest possible price for something is .03)

Yep.

Or well, you can sell for lower than 3 cents you just won't get anything out of it.

Anyway, I put in 5 buy orders for 50 cents each just to see, and I ended up getting 5000 gems for 66 cents.

Oh God the system is so backed up that I just got another 5 sacks for 45 cents total.

.....I wonder how many other borked ones I'll get.

........I may bid on some games now. Whoops.

Wish I'd though of that - I just zeroed my wallet for a mere 7,000.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, booster packs cannot be turned into gems.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    So yep, according to trade history I gave everything I had to this fine gentleman here: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198157835106

I'm hoping Steam can reverse it all since it's documented.

He seems like a delightful fellow fellow what with his 3 games and his only friend, Trasbot abd his almost 13,000 items

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    So yep, according to trade history I gave everything I had to this fine gentleman here: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198157835106

I'm hoping Steam can reverse it all since it's documented.

And look at that inventory? this scam pulled right before an event that used that stuff?

Scammers... :(

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How do I get the 2014 Holiday Auction badge?
    The Auction Badge has three levels that correspond to Auction participation. Create Gems to earn level 1, place a bid to earn level 2, and win an auction round to earn the final level.

Those clever bastards.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/auction

Holiday Meta event that starts before the sale. Recycle your inventory items for gems, bid on games.

Auctions start on the 15th but it looks like you can start now.

TeP8yaW.png

s7Imn5J.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    So you can place bids now, but the actual auctions don't start until monday.

I wonder how much the bids will increase before then.

It seems weird that you can't see how many bids there are on an item without placing one.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Must... get... home...

Must... delist... duplicate... items...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    So you can place bids now, but the actual auctions don't start until monday.

I wonder how much the bids will increase before then.

It seems weird that you can't see how many bids there are on an item without placing one.

they will increase astronomically

liEt3nH.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    How much to make a booster pack, and does it make a random one from all games or do you choose?

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've placed tiny bids on a bunch of games just so I can keep track of them.

It'd be far more convenient if you could view the bids of everything on your wishlist.

Taramoor wrote: »
    How much to make a booster pack, and does it make a random one from all games or do you choose?

Page isn't up yet, so don't know.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The Auction runs Dec 31, 1969 @ 6:00pm to Dec 31, 1969 @ 6:00pm when the Holiday Sale begins.

Great Scott, Marty!

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    So wait, is the consensus that ask the cards I have listed on the market should be pulled down right away? I think this meta game is confusing me

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    Aaaand there's another 10 sacks, all for ~19 cents apiece. I think that's all the attempts that glitched. Whoops. Price is going back up now.

Aaaand there's another 10 sacks, all for ~19 cents apiece. I think that's all the attempts that glitched. Whoops. Price is going back up now.
    So wait, is the consensus that ask the cards I have listed on the market should be pulled down right away? I think this meta game is confusing me

Cards I don't know.

I pulled my backgrounds/emoticons, although most of the ones which craft for 100/per had already been bought.

You have a lot of gems now it seems.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Glancing at the auction, I will never have enough gems to ever get anything interesting, ergo, I feel no need to turn useless items into useless gems.

Economics!

Yeah. But apparently, good for booster packs. So exchanging dupes (or other unneeded junk) for gems will probably net you just enough for one booster pack.

Drake wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/auction/item/1890-2014-Holiday-Profile

This thing is going to go for SO MUCH.

Single-use item which gives your profile a gold border? Ahahahahaha. Valve you evil bastards.

Yeah people are going to dump their entire inventories and then some into those bids. I will watch from a respectable distance.

And it apparently expires, too.
    This item is good for a limited time and will expire Jan 16th, 2015.

So...meh.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    This all sounds like a lot of work.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    Oh hey, it also tells you what # bid you are. Nifty.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Pricing mistakes: I do personally think it is up to the consumer to be smart about the way they buy, and be aware of something very possibly being "too good to be true". I also think a seller has a responsibility to own up to their mistake.

My problem though is that the comparison with actual physical goods (cereal, I believe?) that was presented is disingenuous because digital sales are nothing like physical sales. One of the facets of digital sales is that they are, by their very nature, ephemeral. So while in a physical realm you cannot specifically be dinged for your cereal buying ways, there are games that will roll back, patch out, or otherwise fix exploitative material (as an example) and yes the players will pitch a fit, but that's more because the exploit was found than that they're being treated unfairly. And a company is well within their rights to do so.

However, if a company does this to much (fucks up and fixes it at to the detriment of the consumer) the consumer is well within their rights to never shop at that place again.

But if a consumer suffers at the hands of a company, either through accident or intent, and they continue to be patrons of that company, then they have little in the way of my sympathy.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I nuked my inventory and have 2300 gems.

Is... that a lot?

EDIT: Upon review, the answer is no.

Ceno on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I nuked my inventory and have 2300 gems.

Is... that a lot?

considering the 2014 holiday profile background thing has a top bid of 250k gems you tell me

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Drake wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/auction/item/1890-2014-Holiday-Profile

This thing is going to go for SO MUCH.

Single-use item which gives your profile a gold border? Ahahahahaha. Valve you evil bastards.

Yeah people are going to dump their entire inventories and then some into those bids. I will watch from a respectable distance.

And it apparently expires, too.
    This item is good for a limited time and will expire Jan 16th, 2015.

So...meh.

The item will only sit in your inventory for a limited time, meaning use it or lose it, no time to sell it for $Texas.

The effect itself sounds permanent.

Taramoor on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i outbid someone and literally lost the bid as the page refreshed :(

• NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    Wait since when is Bill's Hat actually marketable? This auction stuff had me looking through inventory and I swear all my TF2 stuff was unmarketable but lo and behold Bill's Hat is worth actually multiple dollars? I mean I should just sell it right?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Heh, this auction thing is a nice way to remove cards from the economy before the big sale starts so people get less of a head start . Nice.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The auction seems like a good way to pay more for a game than it will cost in the sale, unless I'm missing something.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Nathrak wrote: »
    Wait since when is Bill's Hat actually marketable? This auction stuff had me looking through inventory and I swear all my TF2 stuff was unmarketable but lo and behold Bill's Hat is worth actually multiple dollars? I mean I should just sell it right?

Bill's Hats are the classical TF2 'high end' currency (it's like a $100 bill in hat terms), so yeah, it's worth a bit.

(Note: Not actually worth $100. Only the hats with the shiny particle effects are worth that much.)

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Okay, booster pack generator page is up.

Looks like roughly 1000 gems per booster. You get to choose the game, can only choose ones which you own (you do NOT have to be booster eligible).

e: Limited to 1 booster per game, per day.

Jragghen on
    Heh, this auction thing is a nice way to remove cards from the economy before the big sale starts so people get less of a head start . Nice.

Hadn't thought of that.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Power buyers are probably gonna buy up all the things, maybe hold onto gems and see if they go up to around 40 cents to sell

edited December 2014
    Burnage wrote: »
    The auction seems like a good way to pay more for a game than it will cost in the sale, unless I'm missing something.

If you aren't careful, yeah. Assume 10000 gems = $3, because that's what the early movers got em for.

Edit: Uh-oh, Robot Santa's loose again. Uh, uh... while(true) nice++;

Polaritie on
This discussion has been closed.