As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] A Classy Christmas II; Day Seventeen Total: $7,197.90

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    If Valve created a page that was just titled 'Give Us Your Money!' and it was basically just a button you clicked which popped-up a window that allowed you to just enter an amount of money, would that work, too?

i'll point out that cards against humanity ran a black friday sale where they didn't sell any of their product and instead sold bullshit. a bull's shit, packaged in a box. they said "we are selling you a box of shit". and people bought it

and they received a box of shit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Crafted Hatoful Boyfriend booster pack for 750 gems, put up on market for a buck 50, which is the cheapest booster.

Bad rats, for 1200? I don't know what to craft. I will have to look into it.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If Valve created a page that was just titled 'Give Us Your Money!' and it was basically just a button you clicked which popped-up a window that allowed you to just enter an amount of money, would that work, too?

Is there a chance I could get a foil after clicking the button?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Most of the folks with standing buy orders on booster packs have probably already been taken advantage of.
    I think I'll let this all settle down a while.
    But I did put a modest bid in on a copy of Gang Beasts, and 7th place at the moment.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular

i'll point out that cards against humanity ran a black friday sale where they didn't sell any of their product and instead sold bullshit. a bull's shit, packaged in a box. they said "we are selling you a box of shit". and people bought it

whoa whoa whoa

are you telling me it is NOT a crime to send shit through the mail?

• Options
    Shogun wrote: »

whoa whoa whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57y1Ryr66cM

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    yeah man handle it with your bare hands.

you better taste it to make sure its real poop

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I remember a tale of a close family member who got to skip a chemistry practical because they performed the taste test with a pipette.

Turns out "Horse piss" was a good guess.

That's my anecdote for the day, Shoggles.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

whoa whoa whoa

http://www.poopsenders.com/

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Are there badges? Am I leveling up? Am I filling bars!?!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I feel I've made a mistake in crafting a booster with high listings in the hopes of getting in on it (Munin in case it matters to anybody). At least I'm only really out some backgrounds and emotes that I didn't care about in the first place. I also, finally, will be able to craft my Dead Man's Draw badge as the booster I crafted for that gave me the 2 cards I needed!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Is there a chance I could get a foil after clicking the button?
    It is a great idea though and something we'd like to look at adding in the future.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Shimshai wrote: »

whoa whoa whoa

mind blown

real talk if anyone has the new cherry tree game the boosters are $2+

Shogun on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    This really is fucking brilliant on Valve's part. Like they're just printing money.

You've got 2 groups of people. Group A I would assume is fairly large. It consists of people who use steam to buy and play games because it's the most convenient PC platform to do so, and couldn't give less of a shit about all these card and badge things. They're willing to burn all they've got for gems, and those who know about the market place will decide to sell them for cash.

Then you've got Group B, who really likes steam collectables which means they use the steam marketplace and aren't really up for burning their more valuable items for gems, so are gonna go to the marketplace to buy gems if they want to participate in the game when they run out of burning their trash cards in the first couple days.

How many transactions of just gems do you think will occur over the course of the sale? The game has barely begun, Group A who probably doesn't even log into steam every day might take a few days to hear about this, and there's already 13.4k listings of sacks of gems starting at 3 cents. Personally, I would say 10 million over the sale is a lowball estimate. Valve gets at least a penny from every one of those transactions.

Then you've got surprise, 3rd group C, who is using gems to craft rare booster packs that some hardcore fans who really want steam badges for are willing to pay several dollars for. Valve gets an even bigger cut from those transactions.

I thought Blizzard was brilliant when the Diablo 3 auction house was revealed, but the fact that it was the norm ended up being a detriment that people got grumpy with over time. This metagame is For A Limited Time Only, so people participating in it are gonna want to make hay while the sun is shining. And 90% of steam users, steam users from all of groups A, B, and C, are going to get what they really want out of this and be happy. Valve are geniuses. Geniuses.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really hope there wasn't some poor Chinese factory worker making those stupid boxes for like a dollar an hour who can read English and realized that they were making boxes to store shit that Americans were buying for six dollars.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »

whoa whoa whoa

mind blown

real talk if anyone has the new cherry tree game the boosters are $2+

yeah if there's anyone out there that can actually buy gems reliably there are some booster packs that you can make an absurd profit on

get in on that before people get too smart

if that will ever happen

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    In other news @Iolo uploaded some screens today and I honestly thought they were mistagged Metal Gear Solid 2 shots for about a minute.

kOzNwFC.jpg

(E: MGS1. My memory is going.)

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'd love to but my market account is locked for trying to use Paypal.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Crafted Hatoful Boyfriend booster pack for 750 gems, put up on market for a buck 50, which is the cheapest booster.

Bad rats, for 1200? I don't know what to craft. I will have to look into it.

http://steam.tools/cards/

Hit the check box for games you own, sort by badge cost. Look for boosters which have a high negative value.

• Options
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I would love to get into this meta game since it's practically like Diablo 3 RMAH, buuuuuut...
    There was an error getting listings for this item. Please try again later.

Steam come on. Let me exploit your event like the rest of the world.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    For those keeping track, in that screenshot, that's 90 thousand dollars worth of gems.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    For those keeping track, in that screenshot, that's 90 thousand dollars worth of gems.

It's also a phone number in my area code. I called it. Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yep, there's got to be some duplication exploit.

h7b4ddu.png

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gcolusso/inventory/#753_6_1276593735 (different person)

Yeah, that's outside the range I can see someone pulling off with boosters, since it's one per day per game.

That second person? He literally has twenty times as many sacks of gems as are on the entire fucking market right now.

Well, at any rate I should be net profit tomorrow once I do another round of boosters (and my first round sells off). I'm sitting on some 30k gems or so. The gem sacks were a bad idea I think - they're far too efficient compared to anything else. Had I just dumped my wallet into them at .03 each... I'd have 70k+, before flipping things.

Edit: Or I'll just stockpile boosters for badges during the sale itself... though actually, if I could dump all my gems into the most profitable booster I have? I'd net like $90.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Soo..this gem bidding shit is insane, considering a lot of of bids I just saw were over 300k.

Which means hands off, nope, screw you valve.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Soo..this gem bidding shit is insane, considering a lot of of bids I just saw were over 300k.

See above. There is no way a single person has over a million sacks of gems when there's only 50k on the market.

• Options
    and that was how gaben jumped the shark with this meta shit

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    heh

apparently the bidding system doesn't think 0 is a valid number ... :^:

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Well, that explains why I logged in this evening to find out that all of my old junk listed at .03 had sold...

• Options
    Nah, I'm positive there's an exploitable bug going on or something.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

See above. There is no way a single person has over a million sacks of gems when there's only 50k on the market.

it is possible they got the gems and sacks from methods other than purchasing them

it is however ridiculously unlikely that is the case...

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I have no idea what is going on. Is this the Winter Sale meta game? Because I think this means we're free

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

it is possible they got the gems and sacks from methods other than purchasing them

it is however ridiculously unlikely that is the case...

Look, it's more like that a million big bangs will spontaneously occur originating in your left pinky finger, exactly half a millimeter from the end of the fingernail and dead center. This is just a rough guess though.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I have no idea what is going on. Is this the Winter Sale meta game? Because I think this means we're free

this is pre-sale stuff. It lasts until the 18th, which is the day the sale proper begins. Will there be an(other) meta game from the 18th on? The jury is out.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    My take on the situation is that Valve wants confusion and chaos.

When things are settled, the Market is well understood and people try to earn a few pennies here and there. There's some action as people try to complete badges or flog off all cards. Small quantities sell for small margins. This is the normal state.

Valve wants people to think there's easy money to be made somewhere. If it's by turning items into gems, buying items, buying gems, bidding, or any process that involves those things, it doesn't matter. As long as there's a shortage of information which leads to a some way of individuals gaining some sort of advantage, there will be movement in the Steam Market. Yes, the quick thinkers will take advantage of the situation while the masses are trying to understand how best to take advantage themselves. The various ways of gaining advantage will change as the market reacts, overreacts, and corrects.

It doesn't matter what the route is to gain advantage. As long as people think there is a path, they'll buy, sell, craft, bid, and scheme.

To Valve, it doesn't matter exactly how people try to gain a few games, items, or dollars. They only want people to use the Market. Every time someone sells a card, Valve wins. Every time someone destroys an item to reduce supply, which tends to drive up prices, Valve wins.

Quick, do a whole bunch of things on the Market to come out ahead! Valve just sits back and collects another penny on a $0.03 sale. Valve wins.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Wow, I just took a nap and woke up to this craziness.

I don't 'get' it, in the sense that you guys are talking about creating boosters to make money for gems...or something?

What is what is what?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    My take on the situation is that Valve wants confusion and chaos.

When things are settled, the Market is well understood and people try to earn a few pennies here and there. There's some action as people try to complete badges or flog off all cards. Small quantities sell for small margins. This is the normal state.

Valve wants people to think there's easy money to be made somewhere. If it's by turning items into gems, buying items, buying gems, bidding, or any process that involves those things, it doesn't matter. As long as there's a shortage of information which leads to a some way of individuals gaining some sort of advantage, there will be movement in the Steam Market. Yes, the quick thinkers will take advantage of the situation while the masses are trying to understand how best to take advantage themselves. The various ways of gaining advantage will change as the market reacts, overreacts, and corrects.

It doesn't matter what the route is to gain advantage. As long as people think there is a path, they'll buy, sell, craft, bid, and scheme.

To Valve, it doesn't matter exactly how people try to gain a few games, items, or dollars. They only want people to use the Market. Every time someone sells a card, Valve wins. Every time someone destroys an item to reduce supply, which tends to drive up prices, Valve wins.

Quick, do a whole bunch of things on the Market to come out ahead! Valve just sits back and collects another penny on a $0.03 sale. Valve wins.

Yep, as do people who are quick on the draw, etc.

The problem is that there are now clear outliers well outside the bounds of what should be possible by human action, and the potential for said people to completely destroy the auction section. I mean, one person with one billion gems could probably sweep every round for popular titles.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Most boosters seem to take 600-800 gems... if 1000 gems are $.03... even if you're just looking for cards, that seems like a good deal, since most boosters I've seen are the $.20-$1 range. Am I missing something here?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Someone just listed 27,000 gem sacks.

Nothing strange going on there!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Most boosters seem to take 600-800 gems... if 1000 gems are $.03... even if you're just looking for cards, that seems like a good deal, since most boosters I've seen are the $.20-$1 range. Am I missing something here?

You are not. Well, except that lots of boosters are at $.40+. (Or hell, the cards are. I'm not saying what game, but there's one I'm going to make packs for every day because of that)

This discussion has been closed.