As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] A Classy Christmas II; Day Seventeen Total: $7,197.90

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    That last post took a long time to compose since I'm watching the game.

If everything is turning up Valve, what could possibly stop them? Only one thing - people not buying into the game. If people think the game isn't fair, either because the game is rigged, or because people think someone is cheating, they're not inclined to participate.

That's about the only thing Valve is afraid of. Fair or not doesn't matter - it's the perception of fairness. Anything that causes people to steer away from the Market is a huge loss for Valve.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I think that there may well be an exploit in the wild, and if so, Valve may have to either do a rollback/market purge (costing them who knows how much PR goodwill and potential claims) or just suck it up and give away some free games to whoever can create the most gems out of nothing. Either way, their big meta-event might be kinda hosed.

Commander Zoom on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »

If everything is turning up Valve, what could possibly stop them? Only one thing - people not buying into the game. If people think the game isn't fair, either because the game is rigged, or because people think someone is cheating, they're not inclined to participate.

That's about the only thing Valve is afraid of. Fair or not doesn't matter - it's the perception of fairness. Anything that causes people to steer away from the Market is a huge loss for Valve.

Yeah, though at least if the games goes to $texas I can stock up cards.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    guys

hey guys

is this steam metagame Frog Fractions 2?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Ooook...For giggles I put up an order for sacks of gems with my steam balance ($4.03) and now I have 134 sacks of gems.

:rotate:

I guess...I'll..uh...maybe I'll try flipping some packs? Or something? Is that how this works?

If sacks of gems are that cheap no way in hell am I converting my emoticons and backgrounds to gems, and I feel like a dipshit turning a few spare cards into gems now. :(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »

I don't recall any blowback from their idiotic summer-meta. The only reason my wishlist ballooned was because, hey, I might be one of the twenty or thirty who'd win games from the list. That I knew I had no real chance or that my 'team' only won once in 12 days makes no real difference.

I certainly don't begrudge them setting up and encouraging others to participate in a system wholly designed to put money into their own pockets. But it's all so brazenly transparent and so disheartening how little that even matters.

I'll get some gems because I've got a bunch of stuff I figured I'd hold onto in case of an odd price spike or something. Getting a unique badge is kind of like getting that years new Hallmark Christmas ornament. But I'll be arsed if I'm going to even think about the effort it'd take to get that profile theme.

Calgon, take me away!

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Remember when during the summer game when people tried to break the game and give everyone a chance to win twice, Valve changed the rules just to fuck people over?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited December 2014
    I don't quite understand what I'm doing, but I just turned less than $0.03 in gems to $0.51 of real cashmoney so....I guess I'll be doing this tonight instead of playing WoW?

EDIT: So is it safe to assume from this that the holiday meta won't be a badge crafting extravaganza again?

Should I keep my badges-to-be-crafted just in case?

The Dude With Herpes on

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    steam

let me buy gems

steam pls

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    steam

let me buy gems

steam pls

Just buy cards/emoticons on the market and turn them around for gems.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I foresee not just a ban for the guy who's duping gems but also criminal charges if they try selling them for money because that's fraud or theft, depending how you look at things. Maybe both.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    So this explains why I suddenly had 112 emails of cards selling.

So it appears the gems and bags are flagged non-marketable now?

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    bags of gems went from over two million for sale to about 75k

sweet sweet juicy gaben justice

• jogernautjogernaut BisonopolisRegistered User regular
    Bought 100 bags and got a foil from a booster which more than makes up for the cost of the bags and I still have 85 bags to open.

steam_sig.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Madican wrote: »
    I foresee not just a ban for the guy who's duping gems but also criminal charges if they try selling them for money because that's fraud or theft, depending how you look at things. Maybe both.

It's possible, especially since you need to submit (admittedly possible to fake if you're dedicated enough) tax data at 200 transactions. I mean think of how much of a headache this is gonna be for Valve.

Let's say I put in a blind purchase order for a bunch of sacks that are filled by Mr. Duper. I do a straight trade of gems for games via the trade screen (correct me if they're not tradeable that way) to 3 different people for some indie games they have that I want. Those 3 people then use those gems to create booster packs to sell for more than the gems are worth.

Now imagine all the people involved in that chain of transactions are a group working together, using multiple steam accounts.

I doubt Valve has a magic Rewind button, so think of how much it would cost them to go back and trace all the duped gems. I highly doubt they have their own little ID numbers. Unless Valve anticipated a dupe bug and DID implement gem ID numbers and budgeted out the manpower pay to go through each transaction of gems and figure out if it was just someone ignorantly interacting with a duper in good faith or a laundering chain, it's far more economical to just ban the dupers and delete their accounts, while ignoring anyone who wasn't actually using the bug, unless the gem-laundering was super obvious.

I am honestly starting to find this whole thing fascinating.

edit:
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So it appears the gems and bags are flagged non-marketable now?

Well there goes my fun for the night.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    steam

let me buy gems

steam pls

Just buy cards/emoticons on the market and turn them around for gems.

why spend 3 cents for 100 gems when you can spend 3 cents for 1000 gems

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Well, gem bags are down to 65k or so on the market now - I forsee the remaining ones vanishing overnight more or less.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    https://steamdb.info/calculator/?player=gcolusso&currency=us

Person whose inventory was posted earlier now banned. Wondering if they're going to partially roll back anything.

e: Honestly, at this point I'm wondering if the best option might just be to take a snapshot of what everyones' inventory/etc looked like yesterday and roll back - money transactions and all.

Jragghen on
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Well, gem bags are down to 65k or so on the market now - I forsee the remaining ones vanishing overnight more or less.

I haven't even been able to access the bag page in awhile now.

Wonder if those are people buying them or just the slow trickle of them being removed by Valve.

But anyway, for people who were wondering why we can't do anything like the 2011 year anymore? *points to this* With things like SAM out there, this is why.

The top gem bid for DD2 is more than twice what the game costs to buy. :rotate:

I won't mind a rollback, honestly, if that does happen. This is all clearly borked right now.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    they removed the auction from the front page

gems and bags are non marketable and there are currently 0 bags of gems for sale on the market

Shogun on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Well that was a wild ride.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Oh, I'm sure it'll start back up tomorrow when Valve's offices open back up and they devise a way to "get this event back on track".

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Oh, I'm sure it'll start back up tomorrow when Valve's offices open back up and they devise a way to "get this event back on track".

And of course their fix will make it 5x worse.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay

Probably. Blatant cheating and rigging didn't stop this summers stuff, don't see why it'd shut this down. They've got 200k games to give away; I'm sure they'll just fix a few bugs, ban the obvious perpetrators, and probably people just kinda riding it with no obvious malice will keep what they've got.

Or they'll roll it all back and start over; but I highly doubt that. Steam store money isn't play money, there's a mess of accounting/tax issues that they'd have to deal with and I'm sure they'll be super choosy about what accounts they get into.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    valve's sales are great

the events around valve's sales are fucking terrible, have been for a while, and more than that are transparent money grabs

liEt3nH.png
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah the team event got horribly imbalanced as well and they just sort of kept on with it as much as they could.

Odds the Metro Redux bundle will be cheaper in the winter sale?

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Just wait until their economist publishes all those papers about how a few greedy enough can ruin the system for everyone.

Half-Life 3 is actually a global economic proposal for using Steam Cards as currency.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I picked the wrong day to wait to read any of the Steam thread.

It's going to take absurdly too long to gem my 20 pages of junk in the ol' inventory.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Has anyone played Chaos Reborn yet? It looks good but I tend to avoid early access games. I am very interested though.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    http://steamcommunity.com/auction/

And here we go.

Gems are gone from peoples' inventory, it looks like.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    valve's sales are great

the events around valve's sales are fucking terrible, have been for a while, and more than that are transparent money grabs

That one Thanksgiving sale? Where you could buy Half-Life 2 in packs of twenty and such? Good times, good times.

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/auction/

And here we go.

Gems are gone from peoples' inventory, it looks like.

Figures. Although you can still turn stuff into gems, and it's still giving your total gems, even if it's invisible.

edited December 2014
    What I want isn't more metagames like this, or even the coal thing.

I want another Potato Sack.

"Oh, here's a bunch of relatively unrelated games we've patched secret stuff into and have a sale going along with it tying into a new Valve release."

That thing was fun as hell.

Jragghen on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    This is something else alright.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Logging into Steam for the first time in a long time...

Why am I getting spam messages from half my friends list with this link to Google Drive? I am not stupid enough to click it, but... what the hell happened?

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Logging into Steam for the first time in a long time...

Why am I getting spam messages from half my friends list with this link to Google Drive? I am not stupid enough to click it, but... what the hell happened?

Mistakes were made.

Now. Select your pistol, then select your friends.

Select your pistol.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
This discussion has been closed.