As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lambert Kay Boundary (cat repellant), how toxic is it?

Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet:Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
So my dad got some cat repellant so we can keep the cat out of/off certain places. So far I used it only one place, but I'm a bit worried because of the warning on the back. I got a little bit on my skin and washed it off and it seems fine, but it says it can be harmful if absorbed through the skin (no mention of how harmful or any effects from it) and I can't find any information on how dangerous it might be for me or the cat (who has jumped up onto the place where it was sprayed anyway so she's surely touching it too) It says to wash your hands for like 20 minutes and call poison control for treatment suggestions but I guess I'd feel really stupid calling poison control because a cat repellant touched my skin for like 5 seconds? I really wish there was some more easily available information about it so I'd know if I should be worried about its effects, but I can't find anything but the extremely vague suggestion that it's dangerous if absorbed in the skin and it should be kept away from your eyes.

Does anyone have some suggestions/advice? Does anyone have any experience with it? I've tried looking it up but all I get is generic customer reviews and places selling it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    What are the ingredients? Look up the active ingredients. It's usually cinnamon or lemon or something I wouldn't worry about. Sometimes it's Sodium lauryl sulfate which I think is a pretty common ingredient of cleaning products as well and not especially toxic.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well like 98% of the ingredients are not identified on the bottle, while like 2% is methyl nonyl ketone, which is (according to the EPA fact sheet) a category IV (lowest category) for oral and inhalation toxicity, and category III for dermal toxicity and irritation, and eye irritation. So I guess I'll call a doctor in a couple days if I'm experiencing moderate irritation where it touched my skin (and the vet for similar about the cat)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Are these places something that a bit of double-stick tape or aluminum foil couldn't take care of? Because cats hate that stuff.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It's mostly a countertop near the T.V. and similar places where they jump up (also a chair) so some of them might be solvable if that works

• Options
    AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular
    Hey there,

The website for lambert kay gives two different products the aerosol spray of which this is the MSDS

And the Pump spray of which this is the MSDS

I'm not sure which one you have, but you can look at both. The important thing to note is this: unless there's actual persistent irritation when contact is made with the skin, its pretty safe, aslong as you don't drink it or get it into your eyes.