As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] A Classy Christmas II; Day Seventeen Total: $7,197.90

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Logging into Steam for the first time in a long time...

Why am I getting spam messages from half my friends list with this link to Google Drive? I am not stupid enough to click it, but... what the hell happened?

As I had cause to post a few years back (regarding my bank - that was bad, but I realized what had happened quickly enough to prevent much damage):

"Hey, this worm tastes funny... OW!"

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Are Steam cards on sale anywhere? Not only do they seem like the best way to not get locked out of the market, they seem like the best way to ensure that I don't overspend.

camo_sig2.png
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    The auction went to hell already lol. The question is how elves are going to deal with this mess.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    well looks like Gems are back in inventories now.

Nothing has been reverted on the Market as far as I can tell.

I spent $9 and got about 300k gems (before finding out there was a dupe bug, and this whole mess went down.)

ManetherenWolf on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Gonna be some folks up late tonight at Valve.
    Wonder if they could even manage a rollback with all the steam money transfers back and forth all over the place. I suppose if they made a backup of sorts before it all started.But the magnitude of that is still pretty daunting.
    To not mess with regular transactions in the same timeframe. They'll probably just try and track the source of the false gems and scrub those transactions out as much as possible.

Edit: Seems like card drops may not even be happening right now. Or I'm just having a dry stretch.

akajaybay on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

I spent $9 and got about 300k gems (before finding out there was a dupe bug, and this whole mess went down.)

Not all gems.

A person I bought 25 packs from doesn't have any of his gems any more.

So it's looking like they're removing gems from people who did the duplication, but not from people who BOUGHT from them. Which is....well, I wish I'd bought more, basically.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I never got a chance to actually buy any gems, but oh well.

Jragghen wrote: »

Not all gems.

A person I bought 25 packs from doesn't have any of his gems any more.

So it's looking like they're removing gems from people who did the duplication, but not from people who BOUGHT from them. Which is....well, I wish I'd bought more, basically.

oh yeah it appears dupers got banned.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    On the ninth day of not Christmas my true love gave to me, some more games and a bundle for free. :whistle:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

One more day on this and the Humble Bundle #3 doesn't even have a single entry.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Just tell me when I can craft my badges and I'll be happy.

I'll be less happy if/when the price of cards takes a huge hike due to this metagame made by Beelzaboot

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Just tell me when I can craft my badges and I'll be happy.

I'll be less happy if/when the price of cards takes a huge hike due to this metagame made by Beelzaboot

You can craft the holiday sale badge right now, if you want to.

I'm waiting until the sale proper starts just in case there's some point metagame.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Are Steam cards on sale anywhere? Not only do they seem like the best way to not get locked out of the market, they seem like the best way to ensure that I don't overspend.
    Gamestop, Walmart, Target.

many places. If you're in the US, of course.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Kinda makes me glad I didn't buy into it so far. I'll trade to get badges for maybe even buy a few cards to get a couple of less common badges, but I'm not getting too deep into this.

Games at $5 or less are getting purchased. Games at $15 or less are being purchased to keep my gifting ledger in the black due to those who don't understand that a wishlist means waiting until things are $5 or less before being purchased.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

For an actual sale, frys has been periodically putting them in their email deal newsletter, they just had a $5 off of 50, so they'll probably have $10 off of 100 again in a few days. You have to be near a frys for that though.

steam_sig.png
    so if anyone tried spamming buy orders to get gems earlier, you might want to check the market and make sure some didnt go through that you dont know about. I had a couple pop up in my list a minute ago.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    ugh, this meta shit is.. well D&D players know, if you meta, you die. Stop this shit valve. The DM says so.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Hey guys, was in FFXIV and saw the Steam thread shot up like six pages in a couple hours, what's going on in-

Gems? What the hell?

...actually, nevermind. I'll just, uh, I'll just back on out of here.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I'm gonna have to put my hands over my ears and pretend this isn't happening.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Looking at who bought my cards, and by the number and timing of buys, I'm pretty sure whatever is going on is being dominated by bots exploiting the system.

The gem stuff isn't showing up on my phone and it doesn't seem like something I'll bother with.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    One day, corporations will realise that on the internet, fun consumer participation giveaways/events do not work if they rely on absolutely everyone who participates not being a greedy cheating dickhead.

Today is not that day.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    One day, corporations will realise that on the internet, fun consumer participation giveaways/events do not work if they rely on absolutely everyone who participates not being a greedy cheating dickhead.

Today is not that day.

I miss the old games where you could participate and complete challenges, and everybody had the same chance to complete the challenges whether they owned 1000 games or 50, and there was less competition. It seems like we're being pitted against each other in this battle for "gems."

To be fair, I didn't thoroughly read the rules and may be misinterpreting the "fun" I should be having, but that's my problem.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »

Today is not that day.

I miss the old games where you could participate and complete challenges, and everybody had the same chance to complete the challenges whether they owned 1000 games or 50, and there was less competition. It seems like we're being pitted against each other in this battle for "gems."

To be fair, I didn't thoroughly read the rules and may be misinterpreting the "fun" I should be having, but that's my problem.

As soon as you realise that 'fun' means giving Valve money, then yeah, 'fun'.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

@jclast, CVS and Walgreens too. I can't remember if I've seen them in Giant/Safeway gift card racks yet. $20 and $50 increments.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Craft badges, get a holiday foil, puts me at 2 cents below when this whole mess started! Steam account is fiddy, dunno if I'll be bothering with making badges til next summer.

Not for sale, on sale. Like last month I bought 2 $20 cards from Target in a buy one, get one 25% off promotion.

camo_sig2.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Hmm, so auction is down huh. Interesting. I'm kinda mad I couldn't get in and make buy orders for gems before they were removed, but overall yeah I'd rather have an event like the potato sack event. Steam should reach out to newer indies to do that again.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So glad work is awful. Brevet thought I'd say that but it's helping me avoid whatever bs Valve/the Internet at large is apparently pulling right now. Also helps that I don't have time for PC gaming because my PC decided to mess up my gpu drivers by itself.

Left for work with Omega drivers perfectly installed and running Thanks to @Dashui‌ and @cooljammer00. At computer to sleep whilst I leavefor work for 8 hours. Come back to find PC is awake and resolution is messed up. Windows did it's updates and completely wrecked the driver after it was already installed. Reverted to the earlier September ones which seem to be the best ones for me.

Honestly not bothered as the Omega drivers did next to nothing for performance in my rig. FC4 and watchdogs still run just badly enough to give me a headache. Lords of Fallen is another with problems. Newer stuff in general. So glad I got the ps4. Going to stick with that for the newer stuff. Now if only I could have steam chat running on it.

• subisubi Registered User regular
    Hm... I reset my PC than I have discovered that my drivers is back to 13.9.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    KT3wNlO.png

Drovek wrote: »
    Just wait until their economist publishes all those papers about how a few greedy enough can ruin the system for everyone.

:snap:

Because apparently the world still hasn't learned this lesson.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Guys, I've been away for one single day and yet I've apparently missed the complete gem narrative. I think that's a good thing, considering how bananas it was getting as the idea began circling the drain. Can the sale please just start?

steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    just hit my 5 year steam birthday. was going to put up a giveaway but then realized if i wait until the sale i could get a much better game for pittance

camo_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I turned 3 cents into $7 last night because gems. What a strange and wonderful world.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    What booster did you manage to flip?

camo_sig2.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I'd rather have an event like the potato sack event. Steam should reach out to newer indies to do that again.

Yeah, I liked that event. It was interesting and not too crazy.

Wait, gems? What in the world is going on?

I need to go back and read the pages I missed.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    What booster did you manage to flip?

Sakura Spirit. Two regular cards sold for 40-ish cents each and the one foil it popped got me like $6 after Valve cut.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    That's awesome.

camo_sig2.png
    Ok, I think I understand what's going on now?

I wish there was an easier mechanic for trades, without using the marketplace. Kinda like a "list wants/haves" and we can automatically match you up with other people to complete the sets for the games you care about. I guess gems are a stop gap of sorts if I can turn unwanted cards into them, and then use them to craft a booster. It will be interesting to see how Valve fixes it and what the end result will become.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    They want it to be easier for you to buy (as they get a cut) than for you to trade which they don't get any pennies off of.

camo_sig2.png
    Ah, true. I forgot they get a cut of all the marketplace activity.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that one of the most profitable ventures would have been crafting the booster with the badge that has a chance to give you the marijuana leaf.

This discussion has been closed.