As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] A Classy Christmas II; Day Seventeen Total: $7,197.90

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Don't wanna bother with stupid gems/auctions that are most likely going to skyrocket by the end?

Download this it's free! Craft the boosters which sell for over a dollar, or gamble and open them! steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=Mabinogi

I was under the impression that F2P card drops were based off of amount of money you put into the game.

It is, but you can make boosters for them if they're in your library.

I already made one for Mabinogi and it's still downloading, it sold already too.

You don't even have to install them, just hit the download button on the store page, wait for the steam install prompt and cancel it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    On that note, guys - might be worth hanging on to some gems and crafting Tera booster packs after the game goes live on Steam on the 16th. I have a sneaking suspicion Tera cards are going to go for a good price. I could be wildly wrong, of course, but.... wait, no. I'm never wrong. What was I thinking?

Just a thought, though. ;)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Don't wanna bother with stupid gems/auctions that are most likely going to skyrocket by the end?

Download this it's free! Craft the boosters which sell for over a dollar, or gamble and open them! steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=Mabinogi

I was under the impression that F2P card drops were based off of amount of money you put into the game.

I already made one for Mabinogi and it's still downloading, it sold already too.

I wonder if that was intentional, or another accidental side effect . . . :eh:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    On that note, guys - might be worth hanging on to some gems and crafting Tera booster packs after the game goes live on Steam on the 16th. I have a sneaking suspicion Tera cards are going to go for a good price. I could be wildly wrong, of course, but.... wait, no. I'm never wrong. What was I thinking?

Assuming it's not fixed by then :p

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Are emoticons/backgrounds from Valve games/events the only ones that are worth 100 gems? Can't find anything non-valve above 80 gems.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Cards with boobies, popular on Steam? That's just silly. :razz:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

Assuming it's not fixed by then :p

You're assuming it's a bug. I'm not sure it is.

Either way, I'll be fine. I spend real money in Tera (oh god too much of it), so I'll have card access either way. So nener nener. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Are emoticons/backgrounds from Valve games/events the only ones that are worth 100 gems? Can't find anything non-valve above 80 gems.

Couple F2P ones are too.

War of the Roses, Dungeonland were the ones I found.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Couple F2P ones are too.

Which leads me to another question. Are there any 100 gem items still left for 3 cents? They seem to all be up to 5 cents now which means it's much better to buy 80 gem items for 3 cents.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Couple F2P ones are too.

Which leads me to another question. Are there any 100 gem items still left for 3 cents? They seem to all be up to 5 cents now which means it's much better to buy 80 gem items for 3 cents.

Not that I could find, no.

Still some 4 cents floating around, but those are getting snapped up, too.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular

I did not realize that Tera wss hitting Steam on the 16th

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    80 gem items are going, too.

Enjoy the auction, because people don't seem to be thinking this through. At 4 cents/80 gems, that's 50 cents for 1000 gems, so about 50 cents per booster pack - maybe average for boosters (some cases are higher, most of them float in the 30-40 cent range). So if you're looking to sell items, during the auction is your best bet.

I'm still waffling if I want to craft into gems or try to sell mine.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Be warned though that this will catch on and the price will plummet for all the F2P games. I've already seen it on another F2P game where the prices went from over $1 a card two days ago down to 0.30 and dropping today as people are way eager to race to the bottom.

iRevert on
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    5 pages of steam thread? yeah not reading them. I like my marriage. This thread is not worth it. weird meta game. I'm out on that too... Secret Santa was fun. I will be back to read the thread, next Wednesday?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Gemming up my inventory of wallpapers and emoticons I never use and came across this one:

We were forewarned of yeti shenanigans.

• Options
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    5 pages of steam thread? yeah not reading them. I like my marriage. This thread is not worth it. weird meta game. I'm out on that too... Secret Santa was fun. I will be back to read the thread, next Wednesday?

So you're posting to say you're not reading the thread you're posting in?
    Idontgetit. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

Couple F2P ones are too.

Not that I could find, no.

Still some 4 cents floating around, but those are getting snapped up, too.

Yeah but still not worth it. It's better to buy 80gems for 3cents than 100gems for 4cents.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Couple F2P ones are too.

There it is then, the highest gem amounts are produced by the most numerous items. Valve and F2P stuff.

This game is specifically designed to clear out the junk from the market and raise prices.

I am in awe, actually. My wife is a microeconomics wonk, I need to show her all this and how it fits together.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I wonder if gem values on items are refreshed at some point based on the population of that item then.

Edit: To clarify, I wonder if it will happen at some point in the future. As opposed to happening all the time. Otherwise some of the 100 point items would have already shifted down most likely.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @Bobkins Flymo

Proof!
    mwvyfrp9iwnv.jpg

Also, for pure giggles and in light of recent posts and Steam's twisted sense of humor...

If we top $7500, I will purchase acquire somehow (before the end of January) the terribad gender bender game and play through it to completion with one of the playable characters. For every $500 over $7500 that is reached, I will re-play it with a different character, up to all 13 characters (it says there are 13, anyway)... whatever that math works out to be. You can inflict up to THIRTEEN COMPLETIONS of this on me! Bring it on!

These will not be LPs as I have proven incapable of doing LPs. But they will be 100% completions, probably with lots of facepalm-inducing screenshots and groanworthy Pixie commentary.

(edit: on further reading, there may not be 13 playable character. I guess just 8 right now? Whatever, that's a lot of weird, so let's do this thing :razz: )

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Holy crap that thing is 25 bucks!

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Holy crap that thing is 25 bucks!

If female characters are too expensive for Ubisoft, imagine how hard it was for an indie to do two versions of each character!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The second review of Gender thingy is pretty in-depth, and mentions that only a couple of characters have any elements of story choices involved. Probably worth reading it (if you haven't already) when you're deciding on which characters you're playing with :)

Edit: Steam reviews, it's a negative. Perhaps unsurpisingly :)

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, if I do end up playing it, I'll have to play as Stephanie first. Because name.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    jogernautjogernaut BisonopolisRegistered User regular
    Monaco
    https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=WM3vPWcHz5TAWTf2

Play it with friends. Play it while drunk. Play it with friends while drunk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Reminder that whatever portion of a humble bundle you puts towards charity will count towards our total!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular

don't judge me.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Woo we crashed the booster market! Good Job internet!

• Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Was sitting at the bus stop waiting for the bus home from work and had literally just finished reading the last post in a days worth of Steam thread when an email pops up. My friend @SoundsPlush has sent me a gift! One I've had my eye on for quite some time too. Came close to posting thanks by phone right then but figured with such a classy gift I should wait the half hour to get home and do it up proper.

brokenagesoundsplush_zps23013da1.jpg

Thank you! And fuck the law! Mostly cause there aren't seatbelts on the bus, but still.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I've just launched the Jane Goodall simulator. How do I find everyone else?

Edit: Thanks CorriganX!

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    okay so as a part of being a bit broke this holiday i've ignored the steam sale

then someone says BUT DUE YOU CAN USE GLORIOUS GEMS

and so I hop into gemworld and my goodness the top bids are insane.

what on earth is this. I imagine the bids hidden by the top bids are normal numbers right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ff524hh1vd6b.jpg

Well then.

On the community forums, I discovered this nugget of wisdom:
    We have Bad Rats, Infestation: Survivor Stories, and now Gender Bender DNA Twister Extreme.

If you unite these three on the same Steam library, you will wind up summoning the Anti-Gaben and possibly bring an end to Steam sales for all eternity.

So, since I now own all three... if this happens, Nobody is to blame.

Y'all still have to get the charity to $7500 though! :razz:

Thanks.... ! (?) <3<3<3

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular

He's just acting out his favorite movie scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=susA9ytCpgk

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, that explains why Advanced Warfare was looking like deep-fried butts.

Apparently it defaulted the "Render Resolution" to "Low", so that it was rendering at something tiny like 930x600ish, and then stretching it out to fill 1920x1080. Cranked it up to Native, and it still runs fine.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Well that Dungeon of the Endless stream was a great success! I managed to get the Members Only achievement (finish an Escape Pod game without recruiting any heroes) on Easy and I think that puts my up in rarefied air as it only lists a global score of 0.1% and I'm pretty sure it was 0% earlier this week. What a great challenge, thanks for stopping by those who popped in!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The list of auction titles seems to be going up (the total pages was 133 yesterday, and it's 135 now), and I'm pretty sure the newly added titles aren't on the first or last pages when sorted by relevance. If you sort by release date the list gets smaller. This seems completely absurd.

Between Steam, Origin, MWO, various console-PC releases, and so on, I feel like there's some kind of ongoing competition for the worst game-related UI* in the world, and although I'm not sure if Valve is winning they're certainly putting up a good fight.

*Industrial UI being in a world of its own, one where time stopped when Windows 3.1 came out

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    triple post

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Just going to say that after transaction fees and insurance for fraud on so many transactions that the amount Valve is going to make off of this is probably way less then you're thinking.

Having done transaction paperwork for a couple companies I can tell you that even if by some grace of God they literally make a million dollars in transaction fees (or 50,000,000 sales at .03 an item.) Their actual takeaway would be about $200k. Maybe. That's assuming they have really good merchant contracts for transaction fees and they lump then efficiently.

Yep. Totally rolling in money.

It's not that bad.

They don't pay transaction fees to credit companies on every marketplace item sold, they only pay transaction fees anytime you're actually adding money to your wallet or when buying a game/DLC.

Valve paying a few cents plus x% (your typical merchant contract) on every $0.03 card sale would be a disaster, but merchant fees on larger transactions aren't as bad. This is why the minimum amount you can add to your Steam wallet is $5 (the PSN and XBL are the same way).

Valve's "Transaction Fees" listed on marketplace purchases is different from merchant transaction fees, and after you factor in the cost of running the marketplace itself is just free money. Ten to fifteen percent of every marketplace transaction going right back into their pockets is probably a ridiculous amount of money.

Transaction fees range from .10+5% to .40+2% and various things in between in my experience

But, but, what you're missing is that in any transaction wherein there is money being moved, it has to be insured.

Half that transaction fee is going to fraud insurance. Which is paid per person to person transaction. Then act added cost of any support needing to be done, having developers on have to fix problems and work on load balancer, etc.

Like I said, they would possibly, in the end, make 200k out of a million after all is said and done. (Including dealing with all the actual fraud.)

edit:

Holy shit, the forums are broken on Opera 12.14 and as a result my post turned into a bunch of tags.

Anyway, the only time there is a transaction fee is when money moves from your bank to Valve. Money only ever moves from your bank to Valve once.

There is no transaction fee for individual marketplace purchases, and they do not need to be insured, because you aren't buying something from Valve using money, you're buying something from Valve using wallet funds. The initial funding of your wallet is a regular transaction that has all of the requirements that regular credit/debit transactions carry, but once that money is in your wallet it isn't money anymore, it's essentially Valve company scrip. Their "insurance" is "if you do a chargeback or the card that was used to fund the wallet was stolen we'll ban your account and maybe additional accounts if the initial account sent them a lot of games/marketplace items because that means they are probably owned by the same person".

They are not making only $200k per million dollars of marketplace transactions, that is ridiculous.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    triple post

SmokeStacks on
This discussion has been closed.