As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Acquisitions Inc at PAX Aus: Who would be interested?

PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel[Prime]Registered User regular
My first PAX was Prime 13. Before then, either money or work and intercontinental travel meant I couldn't go. But now I'm making up for lost time and going to every PAX I can. I was lucky enough to by at Aus 14. You guys were amazing, it was the most laid back enjoyable PAX. But something was lacking.

Acqusitions Inc is by far my favourite panel at every PAX. I would love to have them there, and I heard from several people that they would like to see one at Aus. But were they a vocal minority? If they built it, would you come?

Mike and Jerry have said previously that it isn't up to them, it's a WotC decision. So I think it would be good to get a rough idea of how many people would go, so we can point at the numbers and say "Look! Fans! Potential Customers!"

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not sure that this will get you the data you're looking for. Acq Inc PACKS the house at East and Prime. I doubt it's a "lack of demand for Acq Inc" issue for PAX Aus. PAX east just got their very first Acq Inc in 2014, and it was a very good but bare-bones production (no costumes, no crazy fancy set pieces). That, to me, feels like it's a marketing budget thing. Even if there are tons of fans going to the production, that doesn't /necessarily/ equate to sales of their product. Going to Aus would likely cost WAY more than going to East. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be super great if Acq Inc was at EVERY PAX, but given its history thus far I don't think "fan desire" is the tipping point metric.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm not sure that this will get you the data you're looking for. Acq Inc PACKS the house at East and Prime. I doubt it's a "lack of demand for Acq Inc" issue for PAX Aus. PAX east just got their very first Acq Inc in 2014, and it was a very good but bare-bones production (no costumes, no crazy fancy set pieces). That, to me, feels like it's a marketing budget thing. Even if there are tons of fans going to the production, that doesn't /necessarily/ equate to sales of their product. Going to Aus would likely cost WAY more than going to East. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be super great if Acq Inc was at EVERY PAX, but given its history thus far I don't think "fan desire" is the tipping point metric.

Possibly, but in the Aus Q&A Mike and Jerry did say that with it being a WotC decision "Well we can ask them, and you [the audience] can ask them. That's actually more important." They also said that the reason AI showed up at East at all was because the attendees asked for it.

So if we can get enough people to respond on here, maybe we can organise prodding WotC with a stick and they will take AI to Aus. It's certainly a better plan than doing nothing (or kidnapping Chris Perkins, Pat Rothfuss, Scott Kurtz and Morgan Webb and shipping them to Melbourne. I don't even know how many stamps would need to go on the crate.)

http://www.twitch.tv/pax/b/583904060?t=13m12s

Timestamped link to relevance.

PedroAsani on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like the kidnapping idea myself. How much would that cost, do you think?

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular

4 burlap sacks, a roll of duct tape, a shipping crate and freight costs. Plus driving to pick them all up, unless we do it right after Prime.

"Great panel guys, follow me to your Executive dressing room." "Why does it look like the back of a van?" *Thunk*

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I've never played a game of DnD and really have no interest starting now.

With that said the live game being absent from AUS was my biggest disappointment about that show. That's how good they are.

10 to 20 years I suspect.

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    YES PLEASE!!!!! Have been to both PAXAUS so far and the only thing missing is an awesome AI show, so HELL YES id put my name down for this!

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'd lobby for this :)

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    A zillion times, yes! I need this!

Acquisitions Inc is the one part of the American PAXen that I religiously stream and that seems absent from PAX Aus, making it not quite the offering that Prime or East are.

2013 was founding PAX Aus and getting that PAX vibe.
    2014 was getting the right venue and panels to match the awesome crowd.
    2015 should be bringing Acquisitions Inc. to make it a true PAX. It's final form.

I've follow PA since the start, and AI since the start too. I've listened to the podcasts, watched the videos and seeing it live would be AMAZING.

I absolutely know a tonne of people who enjoyed PAX Aus 2014 but aren't super keen to come back, who would buy tickets in a heartbeat from here to 2050 if they knew Acquisitions Inc. would be there.

It is a massive draw card and Australia is ready for it.

Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yes I'd definitely come along!

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    If it's a money thing, perhaps we can suggest WotC KickStarter the costs of running AI here? This is just a off the top of the head idea, could be terrible :)

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
    grgemonkey wrote: »
    If it's a money thing, perhaps we can suggest WotC KickStarter the costs of running AI here? This is just a off the top of the head idea, could be terrible :)

Well for anything like that we need a good showing of enthusiasm from the Aus crowd, which is why you should all encourage any Aus goer to drop by in this thread and add their name to it if they want to see AI in 2015. Once we have a good showing of names, then we can work out what to do with it.

• philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
    I'll begin writing letters to my local member of parliament, requesting this.

Love Pokemon? Coming to PAX Aus? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!
    edited December 2014
    philomglol wrote: »
    I'll begin writing letters to my local member of parliament, requesting this.

Why not go right to the top?

Andy.jpg

But really, just get your local Aussies to chime in. We can work out the action needed when we have a real group.

PedroAsani on
  • WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    There are no words for how excited I would be for this...

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Acquisitions Inc. must venture to Australia!

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    oh my god, i need this.
    fuq5rf584qkm.jpg

• Squire_PugSquire_Pug Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yes, Yes, a thousand times Yes!

• McFoulMcFoul Registered User regular
    I concur

• helgirlhelgirl Customer Champ Hobart, TasmaniaRegistered User regular
    I would attend the shit out of AI! As would all the peeps with me

So having spoken to a few PA people this weekend, the best person to tell how much you want AI to visit your PAX is Trevor Kidd, of WotC. So, send him tweets here and mail stuff to Wizards of the Coast LLC, P.O. Box 707, Renton, WA 98057

Maybe tell him why you want to see AI. If it got you into playing D&D for the first time, or maybe you came back to it after a hiatus. I know that for many I have spoken to about this, it's certainly true. Get your group to do the same. More people sending messages will help.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Thing is, Chris Perkins goes where he is told to by WotC. The person deciding stuff is Trevor. Which is why we should be sending him as many things as possible: tweets, emails, regular mail.

Well, does Chris know this "Trevor" fellow? I'm sure he'll pass my tweet along.

#fuckingperdroandhislogic

@fishfishmonkeyhat @Ayefkay @Duckie @Kamelon @agentcooper @grgemonkey @philomglol @WallStar @Morblitz @sennohki @Squire_Pug @McFoul @helgirl
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    So having spoken to a few PA people this weekend, the best person to tell how much you want AI to visit your PAX is Trevor Kidd, of WotC. So, send him tweets here and mail stuff to Wizards of the Coast LLC, P.O. Box 707, Renton, WA 98057

Maybe tell him why you want to see AI. If it got you into playing D&D for the first time, or maybe you came back to it after a hiatus. I know that for many I have spoken to about this, it's certainly true. Get your group to do the same. More people sending messages will help.

This is important. The best way to get their attention is to mail stuff, because nobody mails stuff anymore.

What I thought of was mailing in your old Character sheets, because I'm sure people have them lying around and it would show how much you like the game. Alternatively, you could always knock up some AI specific stuff: pleas from townsfolk for aid, offers of reward, maybe a photoshop of Acq Inc people on Wanted posters.

• solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
    I would love to see it in AU. Its my consistent feedback over the last two years - MORE WOTC ORGANISED D&D STUFF - specifically AI.

• evil santaevil santa To infinity...and beyond!Registered User regular
    I have made this request to multiple PA staff. It would be great to see Acquinc at AUS

Pinny Pals Profile

“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
  • WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    I would queue up for 1 year to attend this panel....

• TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Registered User regular
    WOTC in generally does not do much at ALL outside the American mainland anymore. It contracts its convention running out to other companies now and a company called Baldman games runs its gaming at quite a few American cons. I just dont see them investing casing in Acq Inc in Australia.

• KwaizyKwaizy PAX AUS Enforcer Manager CanberraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I believe that WOTC make far more of MTG in Australia than DnD, so that's where their focus is. The only way I see to change this is to get all of your friends to buy DnD books to up the revenue so WOTC will see Acc Inc as an investment ;-)

Kwaizy on
    Say it with flowers, Send a Triffid.
    Sanity is a slippery slope, and I'm wearing Teflon shoes.
  • noevidenznoevidenz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    As they keep saying, if we want Acquisitions Inc at PAX Aus we have to write to WotC and request it. Penny Arcade doesn't get to make the decision, it's WotC IP.

• IntotheSkyIntotheSky Registered User regular
    Maybe this is just some irrational optimism, but I think WotC's book release schedule might be hinting that there'll be an Acquisition's game at PAX AUS this year. So far, they've associated the release of the Rise of Tiamat and Out of the Abyss adventure modules with PAX Prime in some way. They're also planning on coming out with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide 2 days after the end of PAX AUS. What better time to pimp out a new rulebook than during a game of Acquisition's Incorporated, maybe with a new intern using a class in the new book? Just a thought.

• JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I heard from a *source* that the issue is with WOTC reps in Australia not keen or playing ball or something. The reason for their objection was vague. So find out who the Australian WOTC rep is an work on them.

Moon Wizard.
  • Cookienommer51Cookienommer51 Registered User regular
    Sooo are we going to kidnap them after all??

• JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ha!

Moon Wizard.
  • sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I find it conspicuous that only 3 musical acts have been announced, and all 3 on saturday night.

e5258ES.gif

(Don't worry @zerzhul it's under the limit. While I have you here though I sent you a PM on slack the other day).

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but no AI at Aus this year - sorry! All sides will continue to work toward that goal though!

Some guy.
    Trying to throw us off the scent eh!

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but no AI at Aus this year - sorry! All sides will continue to work toward that goal though!

so.........you're saying there's a chance!!!!! ;D

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Registered User regular
    There will be Adventurers League at PAX Aus though. We arnt on the schedule but there ARE games in most slots. I dont think we have any WOTC advertising going on for it, but there will be games on. Im one of the DMs so I can say that with certainty!