As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless adapter for gaming (Solved)

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited December 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
So! Got a new computer. Love it. Part of getting a new computer was getting a wireless adapter so there isn't a cord running across our living room to trip us.

However

The adapter I got results in a lag time around 400 ms which won't cut it when playing games online. Is there an option that'll keep me around ~100 ms or am I going to be stuck reconnecting/disconnecting every time I want to play TF2?

Quid on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I haven't dealt with this in years, but (A) don't rule out some issue between your modem and WiFi router (especially if your modem also does wifi and (B) even if you fix latency, my issue was always packet loss. I fixed it by using Ethernet over power adapters. No long cords, wire-quality service.

i used netgear but no particular preference. http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    400ms is not a normal amount of latency for wireless inside your own house. You've got some interference or packet loss or something going on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Wireless phones, microwaves, and baby monitors can give off interference with wireless G routers, so, look for obvious things like that.

Then there is your neighbor's wifi. You might find switching channels to work if you've got a neighbor. If you live in an apartment complex, you will have to boost your signal to drown out everyone, so long as you don't need range. Older cell phones/peripherals can be a problem too (before the iphone if you're thrifty).

I actually had to upgrade to dd-wrt because so I could change my wifi's signal and strength because the onboard firmware didn't allow me too. Definitely helped my downstairs wifi and ps3/4 hooked up to the TV in a similar situation like yours.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, what adapter do you have?

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    inSSIDer is a pretty easy to use network survey software. It'll show you what channels are being used that your adapter can 'see,' which should (in theory) allow you to change what channel you operate on to avoid congestion. Worked super well for me.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Move yourself to the 5ghz band if you can, 2.4 is crowded with all sorts of shit usually.

Best solution is to properly run a cat 6 cable through the wall. If you have carpet you can run it along the outside of the room, pull up the carpet a little and tuck the cable under, then push the carpet back down.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Both my wife and I do online gaming (usually WoW and a few steam games) and we both have this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056

No problems for either of us, even with our media machine streaming netflix at the same time.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what adapter do you have?

Oh shoot, forgot I made this thread.

This would be it:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Wireless-N-Graphical-Interface-USB-N53/dp/B005SAKW9G

Also setting it to channel 11 and bumping up the transmit rate solved the problem. It sits at 130 now which is well within my tolerance.

This discussion has been closed.