As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling] Sami Zayn and the Zayniacs is my favorite underground ska band

PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks.Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in Social Entropy++
Hello I'm PwnanObrien and you've clicked on a thread recapping the things that happened in the world of professional wrestling in 2014. Things like Roman Reigns being betrayed by Seth Rollins and his own testicles, the booking team proving it is possible to get Rey Mysterio over as a heel and the revitalization of AJ Styles' career due in part to his opponents really going the extra mile to make his finish look devastating. To fully understand 2014 though I suppose we have to begin at the start because that's how time works.

JFpQ3ps.png
January
Over in the land of the rising sun New Japan Pro Wrestling kicked off the year properly with the 8th incarnation of Wrestle Kingdom, a show which featured 35,000 people packed into the Tokyo Dome to watch talented rising stars and Bad Luck Fale. It was an event so on par with WrestleMania and the Superbowl that Jim Ross feels the need to constantly tell us so.

Meanwhile in America WWE spent the month not getting the message fans had been literally screaming at them for the last year and instead decided that we needed yet another Cena vs. Orton match. As fans figured out that Daniel Bryan's only appearance on the show was his loss the Bray Wyatt in an opening bout things began to turn sour. Boos rained down on everything the men left in the Royal Rumble did and the night ended with returning babyface steroid grandpa flipping off the fans and yelling “deal with it.” The whole thing was so disappointing that Mick Foley briefly came out of retirement to go over his television in a hardcore match.

Perhaps the most important story of the year, however, occurred the night after when top star and Walking Dead enthusiast CM Punk went on a permanent sabbatical. Amid rumors and speculations fans would spend the remainder of the year peppering shows with chants of his name. Those in charge of WWE would spend the following months omitting him from all conversations and covering his face up with a post-it note like a jilted middle schooler.

WYs7x3C.png
February
The first of the month saw the joyous return of youtube's favorite G rated indie promotion CHIKARA as National Pro Wrestling Day saw the end of a year long storyline about shutting down the company which Dixie Carter would soon attempt to copy.

With Punk gone the WWE saw it fit to replace him in a feud with Triple H's Authority faction. Daniel Bryan was finally put back into the main event scene, forever dooming us to face Sheamus promos. As WWE scrambled to find a way to get the focus off Orton vs. Boo-tista fans were so excited for a face-off between The Shield and The Wyatt Family that they started chanting “this is awesome” before the match even began.

More importantly the month saw the launch of the WWE Network, a commercial free multimedia streaming service pulling from an archive of thousands of hours of wrestling footage as well as live specials like the highly acclaimed NXT ArRival. Prices and participation may vary.

FJEe0hg.png
March
The road to Wrestlemania was paved with Usos vs Rybaxel matches as tensions sprang up between Real Americans Antonio Cesaro and Biff from Back To The Future. Meanwhile the main event scene heated up as Randy Orton and Batista each tried to convince us that neither of them deserved the title and Daniel Bryan's Yes Movement occupied RAW.

Elsewhere Adam Rose was delighting fans at Florida's Full Sail University with a fun party gimmick that wouldn't be at all driven into the ground by the year's end. In fact the only noteworthy thing in March seemed to be NXT's Vengeance Week which featured rematches from ArRival and Mojo Rawley's shitty fan section texting and sitting on their hands.

p60pO6H.png
April
Even with the announcement of Global Force Wrestling and the debut of AJ Styles as the new leader of The Bullet Club April was dominated by WWE. Wrestlemania 30 took place on April 6th 2014 in front of more than 75,000 people packed into the Mercedes-Benz Silverdome. The show opened with Daniel Bryan defeating WWE COO and Shao Kahn lookalike Triple H. Antonio Cesaro sealed his place in highlight reel history by eliminating The Big Show to win the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal and he was promptly rewarded with a year of losses on RAW.

The cheerful atmosphere was quickly sucked out of the arena when in a shocking upset John Cena defeated Bray Wyatt to continue his streak of hustling loyalty and respect. Arguably more shocking was The Undertaker's loss to a shaved Ghost Bear ending a more than two decade long streak set a somber tone going into the main event. Daniel Bryan capping off the night by capturing the World Heavyweight Championship was that much more of a celebratory moment by contrast. It was a deserved win for somebody who despite being called “the best in the world” for the majority of his 15 year career has remained notoriously humble. In fact it says a lot about the man's character that the first person he talked to after winning the belts was the terminally ill child that used his Make A Wish to see him months earlier. And then nothing bad ever happened to Daniel Bryan again.

None of that would matter though as the next night the world would learn to Bo-lieve thus changing history for the better forever.

yQxs6cD.png
May
The run up to Extreme Rules had the difficult task of following wrestling's biggest night of the year but delivered a solid base of tournament matches for number one contendership for Big E's Intercontinental Championship. This idea was so well received for putting importance on the title that it hasn't been repeated since. The event was headlined by Daniel Bryan defending against challenger the feud between Kane and Zack Ryder. The show stealer however was the newly face turned Shield proving they can continue their streak of beating up old men with a win over Evolution.

Worlds collided as New Japan Pro Wrestling and Ring of Honor put on two nights of shows in New York. Stars such as Jay Lethal, ACH, Jushin Thunder Liger, Kushida and Maria Kanellis's ass cheeks accompanied by the Aaron Paul clone that came out too muscly. The headliner of the event was a triple threat between AJ Styles, Kazuchika Okada and Michael Elgin for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship of Not Being Michael Elgin.

HO9Kxmh.png
June
Because fate hates us Daniel Bryan's bad luck crescendoed with necessary neck surgery that required him to relinquish his newly won World Heavyweight Championship. He did have one last match, going over a burglar in under a minute via submission. His future is still uncertain but fans desperately wish for his return as evidenced by every other paragraph for the rest of this post. The whole month was clouded in despair as two thirds of 3MB was fired and following a show stealing brawl of a match against Evolution Seth Rollins turned on his teammates in the Shield. As if that weren't enough new Intercontinental Champion Bad News Barrett separated his shoulder putting him out for months. June sucked. Even JTG wasn't immune to the month's roster cuts.

In happier news Freelance Wrestling debuted bringing PWG style drunken indie shenanigans to Chicago. Already it features exciting unknowns that will have their talent and youth siphoned off by The Young Bucks in a bid to become immortal indie Gods.

ygTujYC.png
July
WWE snuck Money In The Bank in at the very end of June almost like we wouldn't notice. Without several of their top stars the event didn't have the same excitement of years past. Paige defended her Divas title against Cameron, The Usos defended their belts against Harper and Rowan and John Cena won the vacant World Heavyweight Championship in a main event ladder match which featured Kane because of course it did. The only real interesting thing to come of all of this was Seth Rollins capturing the Money In The Bank briefcase and dressing up like one of the X-Men.

New Japan Pro Wrestling's G1 Climax bridged the gap between July and August with a dozen days worth of matches so amazing you won't even notice all your time and money's gone from watching it all. Some nights were so great they featured career defining bouts that were out-shined by matches both higher and lower on the card. Also Lance Archer was there.

The same week Vince McMahon opened his next Pay Per View event with a minute long Adam Rose vs Fandango match. Battleground featured another Usos/Wyatts match and most foreboding of all the return of AJ Lee as she won her Divas championship back from Paige. The rest of the year would feature character derailment, hot potato-ing the title and ham-fisted lesbian overtones. The Miz returned as Johnny Cage to win the vacant Intercontinental Title and he would go on to have an entire month of relevance before being shown up by Damien Sandow.

EH0OPJO.png
August
With network subscription renewals looming WWE needed something shocking to get people interested again. They delivered with Brock Lesnar's one-sided uncomfortably 16 minute long victory over John Cena. During the match Lesnar had more German offense than the entire World Cup and delivered two F5s before mercifully ending the match.

The rivalry between Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins heated up with the only Lumberjack match to ever spill into the crowd. In fact in the wake of Daniel Bryan's injury and CM Punk's departure Dean Ambrose emerged as the new anti-authority figure of the company. He's sort of half Austin half Pilman and nobody would be surprised if he hobbles his own ankle with a steel chair to prove a point.

The most headline grabbing news of the month however was Alberto Del Rio getting fired giving a fighting spirit slap to a racist social media manager. Del Rio would quickly make the move to AAA's TripleMania and is slated to appear at other promotions such as Ring of Honor.

In Reseda flippy man and professional male model for title belts Ricochet won PWG's Battle of Los Angeles. Ricoshet was everywhere in 2014 from Evolve to Dragon's Gate USA to New Japan and even the real Dragon's Gate that still has shows. He's even running around the newly formed Lucha Underground with a silly Puma gimmick. It's a little amazing that in a year when WWE signed Steen, Kenta, and Devitt they missed him.

OGz1xRP.png
September
King of Trios returned and brought the Spirit Squad with it. They weren't the only reunion at the show either as out of the 16 teams LAX reunited. All of them however were no match for 80s throwback The Devastation Corporation who rumbled crashed and smashed their way to victory.

A new WWE logo, the retirement of the big gold belt and Hideo Itami's debut at the much better NXT Takeover: Fatal 4-Way ushered us into Night of Champions. It was a night where star weirdos the Dust brothers won the Tag belts, Sheamus remained US champion, and The Miz lost his Intercontinental title to Dolph Ziggler and his heat to Damien Sandow. John Cena took a second run at the SNK fighting game boss that is World Heavyweight Champion and did slightly better before being sent back to a continue screen. Oh and somebody else was Divas champion. Paige? I think AJ won a match for the title but one of the Bellas was there.

September also saw the latest sidelining of a big name WWE Superstar as Roman Reigns' hype train was de-railed by a sudden hernia. During Reigns' recovery he was kept fresh in the mind of fans as he gave drugged up post-surgery promos, interviews with Giant Bomb and even made a token appearance at the Slammys. Heal up Roman, we can't wait to be back to being uncomfortable with how much you're getting pushed.

9rCbo5d.png
October
A new king of pro wrestling was crowned as AJ Styles lost his IWGP title to Asian John Cena Hiroshi Tanahashi. New Japan's October 13th show featured five other title matches and Okada defending his right to challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight championship against Tetsuya Naito. The event provided a crowd of thousands a satisfying night of action just like your mom does.

On the eve of the eve of the eve of the eve of Halloween WWE put on its spookiest Pay Per View of the year with Hell in a Cell. The event was highlighted by Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose taking a massive fall of the evil cube. It was a harrowing sight that will be forever unfairly compared to HBKs similar spot or Foley's infamous fall all the while ignoring the fact that it only looked smaller due to the structure's larger size. It's almost a perfect metaphor for the state of wrestling in 2014.

05Q2Tvy.png
November
New Japan's Power Struggle put on another night of amazing matches. Damien Mizdow became the tag team champions. Dean Ambrose moved onto a feud with Bray Wyatt which is exactly as crazy as it sounds. Survivor Series's main event pushed Dolph Ziggler as a main event star and fucking Sting showed up on a WWE show. All of that, however, was overshadowed by the dark cloud cast by two friends having a chat on a couch.

Yes the episode of Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana featuring CM Punk shed a lot of light on the dark side of WWE's behind the scenes atmosphere. Accusations of steroids, making people work injured and petty politics made watching the following Smackdown even more of a chore that usual. In the days that followed Vince McMahon would give his own toothless response and CM Punk would announce plans to work with UFC. It was all enough to make Grumpy Cat's appearance on RAW earlier in the month all the more appropriate as fans actively felt guilty for supporting this product.

The whole thing made fans wish for some sort of guiltless wrestling equivalent of abstract paintings, some kind of simple formless shapeless thing where nobody even moves much. Unfortunately we couldn't even get that since WWE axed Khali. What we needed was a pick-me-up.

ZQBRpeS.png
December
December started right with New Japan announcing and releasing New Japan World, a streaming service similar to the WWE Network except it costs less and is available in the UK. The archive of content dating back to 1972 was so well received by fans world wide that nobody seemed to notice or mind that they could have saved $140 on the G1 alone.

NXT put on its best show to date with R Evolution, a show which featured top to bottom good matches. Kevin Owens made the largest impact of all and no that's not a fat joke. The Lucha Dragons defended their tag titles against old timey strongmen The Vaudevillains. Baron Corbin wrecked Tye Dillenger in under a minute while Bull Dempsy made a fart in the crowd. Finn Balor and Hideo Itami banished the Ascension to RAW. Charlotte and Sasha Banks proved again that women could have a main event caliber match. The emotional climax was the long overdue title win of Sami Zayn as he defeated friend and rival Adrian Neville in a match of the year contender. Then in a post-credits scene worthy of a Marvel film Kevin Owens powerbombed his best friend Sami Zayn into the ring apron leaving him battered and broken.

The show immediately received seemingly unanimous praise. Social media and message boards flooded with positivity about a WWE show for the first time in months. In a move that would make Ashley Remington proud Reddit users even sent Triple H a fruit basket in gratitude. Maybe the highest praise comes from the fact that the main roster took this as a challenge, something they haven't done since the last days of the Monday Night Wars. NXT proved to a typically cynical fanbase that even though some shows might test a fan's patience and some bumps might test a wrestler's resilience there is an exciting future for pro wrestling.

Mwx884o.jpg
PwnanObrien on

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Yeah this Rowan vs Show match didn't work at all.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    jbilTGaiv6Gf5j.png

OK having seen both shows now, NXT gets an A+ while TLC gets a B-, almost a solid B if not for the Chairs match and overbooking Cena vs Seth.

edited December 2014
    NXT wins but we all knew it would. But not quite "kicking it's ass" like Morrison claims.

wirehead26 on
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    dean ambrose has always been an idiot

remember when he wandered off into the crowd to start a fight at elimination chamber instead of staying near the ring to protect his team

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm sure I missed several stories from the year but holy shit almost nothing happened in March.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
    First a hologram ghost.

Second an exploding TV.

What's next?

Light going to fall on him?

Show can still be of use but Kane needs to retire already. Same for Henry.

Hullis wrote: »
    dean ambrose has always been an idiot

remember when he wandered off into the crowd to start a fight at elimination chamber instead of staying near the ring to protect his team

And I don't get the ghost complaint. He was distracted by it then Bray beat the shit out of him.

Goofy? Sure. Made Dean look stupid? Nah. He's just reckless.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    yeah I think the TV thing itself is goofy but it does play on the idea that dean ambrose is a reckless doofus (he hid in a christmas present for hours expressly to ambush someone he probably could have taken out in a hallway (he stole a hot dog cart in order to spray people with condiments))

Biggest thing I'm worried about with Brock vs Cena is whomever Cena's opponent at Mania interferes in the match. Now I wouldn't be against, let's say it's Rusev, beating down Cena before the match starts but I don't want to see it happen during the bout.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    My issue with it, and most of the ppv, is that I didn't find it entertaining and it left me wondering why I bothered watching.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

evilbob wrote: »
    My issue with it, and most of the ppv, is that I didn't find it entertaining and it left me wondering why I bothered watching.

You didn't even like the opener?

Wonder how the
    Bray vs Dean Boot Camp match will be Wednesday.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »

You didn't even like the opener?

Haven't seen it yet, started watching towards the end of the tag titles match.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I thought the opener was pretty sloppy. A lot of botched spots. And it was just a series of spots with not much substance.

edited December 2014
    Watching the whole Cena vs Seth match, yeah it's overbooked to hell but I still thought it was good in a trainwreck sort of way. Just a bunch of crazy shit happening at once.

It certainly wasn't boring.

wirehead26 on
    I thought the opener was pretty sloppy. A lot of botched spots. And it was just a series of spots with not much substance.

Some spots were rough yeah but as a whole it was a great spectacle IMO.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I got home from work and am watching the rebroadcast.

J&J hiding the evidence of the broken table was pretty funny.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    Rough spots in that type of match give it more realism.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    HOW DARE YOU compare Tanahashi to Cena

A lot of people do actually.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Does NJPW have a PPV coming up before WK9?

uyvfOQy.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Ok, that wasn't as good as NXT. End this thread.

ok

I said he was Asian John Cena which means he knows how to throw punches.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    That picture is amazing. I do feel let down that it has a literal dragon in a luchador mask, but no Lucha Dragons shirt.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    So I just finished the PPV.

Overall, not a great show. Rowan/Show and Ryback/Kane were bad matches, Cena/Rollins was a biiiiiiit overbooked (basically everything before Show came out was fine).

That said, the opening Ladder match was great, and the ending to the main event was perfectly fine and fit perfectly with the story they've been telling with Dean; specifically that he can be more hell-bent on causing damage than actually beating his opponent.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Maybe next PPV that isn't the rumble Cesaro and Tyson Kidd can be on the show instead of Kane/Ryback/Show so the overall match quality can rise just a wee bit.

1920316_795056113877500_5486645774230168597_n.jpg?oh=6aaeae9aa8a56b44833f4321513a5ff3&oe=55456CC3&__gda__=1426669054_18809bd373e0e1cbb3f676c129a1a10c

Man he looks rough, the years have been catching up to him big time in the last while.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Just watched TLC(S)

Basically agree with the popular consensus I am seeing: Ziggler/Harper was ridiculous, if a bit too dangerous, Miz(dow)/Usos was terrible and not at all PPV caliber, Show/Rowan was sloppy, Swagger/Rusev was boring, Kane/Ryback was super boring, Cena/Rollins was good but the Reigns return felt super forced in there, The Divas match was a mess with a dumb ending, and Bray/Dean was good but had a weird, although not out of character, ending.

CYpGAPn.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I wish I could explain why the ending to Bray/Dean bugs me so much. The weird thing is, had it been with regular ladder/TLC match rules-- where they had to retrieve something suspended above the ring-- and doing that put Dean down long enough for Bray to grab the Macguffin, I think I'd have been okay with that.

But the way it went down? Something just felt... off.

And here I am, just wanting to watch NXT Takeover REvolution again, but I can't.
    Dean's mania entrance should be him driving a stolen ambulance to the ring

Hot dog truck.
    Ambrose should complete his list of service vehicles by showing up to WrestleMania in a stolen squad car or a SWAT van.

Van from the asylum, and the guys with nets get out and come around to the back to open it up and let Dean out.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Does NJPW have a PPV coming up before WK9?

If you have NJPW world they have several live shows leading up to WK9. I think 2 or 3 shows.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    This was an awful PPV. 4 out of the 7 matches had fucked finishes and the only good matches were the first and last ones. I hate the finish to the main event. I don't mind the idea of Dean getting too reckless and it costing him, but pulling a monitor of it's wires doesn't make it explode like that.

And why in the fuck would Big Show go over Rowan? That makes zero sense.

If R Evolution lit a fire under the main roster's ass to perform it didn't show at all.

Magell wrote: »
    This was an awful PPV. 4 out of the 7 matches had fucked finishes and the only good matches were the first and last ones. I hate the finish to the main event. I don't mind the idea of Dean getting too reckless and it costing him, but pulling a monitor of it's wires doesn't make it explode like that.

And why in the fuck would Big Show go over Rowan? That makes zero sense.

If R Evolution lit a fire under the main roster's ass to perform it didn't show at all.

It showed for the roster. They went out there and took brutal looking bumps. It just hasn't worked for the bookers, match runners, writers or commentators yet.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Just watched TLC(S)

Basically agree with the popular consensus I am seeing: Ziggler/Harper was ridiculous, if a bit too dangerous, Miz(dow)/Usos was terrible and not at all PPV caliber, Show/Rowan was sloppy, Swagger/Rusev was boring, Kane/Ryback was super boring, Cena/Rollins was good but the Reigns return felt super forced in there, The Divas match was a mess with a dumb ending, and Bray/Dean was good but had a weird, although not out of character, ending.

i thought that the divas match was one of the better on the card actually

EzUAYcn.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    First there was the beer truck, then there was the Milk, now it's time for the Hot Dog truck. Either a condiment hose, or a roof mounted American Gladiators style Hot Dog air cannon turret

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Ambrose should complete his list of service vehicles by showing up to WrestleMania in a stolen squad car or a SWAT van.

Van from the asylum, and the guys with nets get out and come around to the back to open it up and let Dean out.

And unstrap his straight jacket.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
This discussion has been closed.