As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS1 Xmas Gift

kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
My younger brother has decided to take the old PS1 back to school with him this year. The only problem is he is lacking games. He wants some new ones, but was too young when the PS1 was in it's prime to know what is worth a damn. So, it's my job to get him a couple games that he will enjoy. One he has asked for is FFIX, which is a good idea by him. Any other good PS1 games the fine folks here can recommend. Probably looking a mostly RPG's, and my local game store has a pretty good selection last time I checked.

Thanks!

PSN: the-K-flash

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    I'll preface by saying I'm not sure how expensive these things are these days, but, here are few games I really loved on that platform:

Suikoden
    Wild Arms
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Grandia
    Xenogears
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Tekken
    Grand Turismo II
    Space Griffon
    Wipeout 1 or 3
    Tenchu 2
    Bushido Blade
    NHL 2000
    Road Rash
    Need for Speed
    Syndicate Wars.

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    I left off the Battle Arena Toshinden games, and I really loved those fighting games at the time. I'm sure they don't hold up though.

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    If he asked for FFIX, would have to get FFVII, Xenogears, & Chrono Cross.

Another one that I loved playing was Legend of Legia (never played 2nd so can't comment on it).

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver isn't exactly an RPG, but is puzzle heavy.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    FF Tactics!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind the PS1 version of a lot of these games can run 50-100 bucks, even with digital versions floating on the more recent consoles.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid, Wipeout, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Tomba.

Yeah I know none of those are RPGs, but they ARE all-time classics native to the console.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for an overhead Zelda-ish hack and slash adventure with good voice acting for its time. It's also pretty bloody.
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is its sequel, which did a lot of neat things involving shifting between the spirit/real world. Might feel a little dated these days.

I really liked the Arc the Lad Collection, which had Arc the Lad 1-3. Unfortunately I can imagine it being pretty expensive these days. Nice little JRPGs that were brought to the US around the end of its lifespan. In fact, I'm pretty sure the PS2 was already out at the time. I never did get too far in the third one.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Keep in mind the PS1 version of a lot of these games can run 50-100 bucks, even with digital versions floating on the more recent consoles.

Yeah, I know. I checked out my local place yesterday, and prices were... reasonable. FFIX was the black label I think, and they were asking 20. They're doing christmas sales this week, and I'm hoping PS1 games show up as buy 2 get 1 or something along those lines.

I know he's played Tactics, 7 and 8 for Final Fantasy. I'm not super well versed on other PS1 rpgs from the time though. I think I might have a copy of Metal Gear Solid I can gift him...

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Suikoden 2 is amazing, Suikoden 1 is ok, but loading a file from 1 makes 2 even better.

I'm a big fan of Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross.

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    I have no idea on the pricing right now, but the other game I played a ton of was Lunar: Silver Star Complete & Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete.
    I bought Lunar 1 used, didn't have map/trinket/book. I bought lunar 2 new, had the original box, trinket and map still in plastic wrapping, leather bound book with starting guide, etc.... step-son sold it for drug money...

I forgot about Legend of Mana, I played a lot of that game as well. Not as much as Legend of Legia or Lunar.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Does your brother have a DS or whatever it was that they re-released FFIV, V, VI on? If not, you could get him FF Chronicles and FF Anthology. They're... not the greatest because of load times, but if he doesn't have any other way to play them and you can get 'em cheap then it's worth a shot at least for collection purposes.

I never got to play Legend of Dragoon, but a friend of mine liked it an it's another RPG.

MediEvil 1 and 2 are pretty fun action/platformer games with a great style.

If he has any interest in racing or sports games, I had a lot of fun with Jet Moto 2, Cool Boarders 2 and 3, and Sled Storm.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Silent Hill

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Does he have a memory card?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I think so, yes. Good idea though. I might pick him up one.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy Tactics and he'll be set!

I will note that FFT looks like complete ass on a big screen TV though =(

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    My personal faves from that era:
    wild arms
    metal gear solid
    Castlevania: sotn
    FF tactics
    Persona

Out of those, I feel like castlevania has aged the best. Wild arms still has the best intro though.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Seconding MGS1, Chrono Cross, Grandia, Suikoden 2, Xenogears. (I really want to replay Xenogears one of these days but I don't think I have the time, and I suspect I'm under-remembering how many random encounters there were)

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned Tony Hawks' Pro Skater, which may or may not hold up nowadays but was a heck of a lot of fun back then. I'm pretty sure PaRappa the Rapper is still going to be great, even in the face of all the newer equivalents.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    if he likes fighters, Street Fighter Alpha 3 was the gold standard for quite a while and holds up well. Akuma is OP as fuck in it, though.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Arcade Hits: Shienryu
    Front Mission 3
    Metal Slug - Any you can find, these are probably collector's items now
    Namco Museum Vol. 4 - for Assault, specifically

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    if he likes fighters, Street Fighter Alpha 3 was the gold standard for quite a while and holds up well. Akuma is OP as fuck in it, though.

Just like Rare Akuma in SaltyBet...

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    One gotcha I discovered when getting PS1 games for my PS2 is finding memory cards that still work.

• Options
    My old genuine Sony PS1 memory cards still worked the last time I put one in my PS2, which was admittedly a few years ago. The genuine PS2 card still works, too.