As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bob Saget [chat]

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Several right wing butt-groups including Breitbart and the Not Feminist Alliance found that they could pander to the GamerGate community on a bunch of stuff. I think they are still trying to milk it.

People mad at the SJW HATERZ might be fertile ground for right wingers hoping to catch some young voters.

Well lets be honest, SJWs are the worst.

They aren't. They plainly aren't. Some of them can be annoying sometimes. Now take a look at the people you are allying yourself with by saying this nonsense.

wait, I took that "Well lets be honest, SJWs are the worst." as a joke. Like people saying "cats are the worst" or whatevs.

are you people saying that, based on previous posts, @Doodmann might be serious about that?

He's probably serious based on post history, but I doubt he realizes the association that is rapidly building around the statement. Because I'll be honest, a month or so ago, I was complaining about SJWs. People on a hare trigger on Tumblr, complaining about perceived injustices in a less than earnest manner. Putting down and berating would-be allies because they didn't get their language exactly right.

But the situation has changed. A reprehensible, organized, sexist, homophobic, regressive movement is forming to oppose anything they call "SJW" and I'm not gonna have a fucking part in that, no way in hell.

Over zealous folks who push a very specific view of social matters around like a blunt weapon then. Sometimes those folks go way to far. I'm proably gonna continue to hold that opinion. And just some asshole holds a similar opinion (for wildly different reasons) doesn't mean I'm gonna hold off on saying what I think.

Just like because some asshole like the Amazing Athiest says christians are shit in the most obnoxious manner possible doesn't mean I'm gonna stop critisizing the issues I see with religion.

That's fine, I just beg of you and everyone else to please word your posts carefully to avoid allowing gamergaters from feeling even the tiniest bit more legitimate as a result of what your write. They're saying some awful, offensive shit at the moment and they need to be completely ostracized.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Several right wing butt-groups including Breitbart and the Not Feminist Alliance found that they could pander to the GamerGate community on a bunch of stuff. I think they are still trying to milk it.

People mad at the SJW HATERZ might be fertile ground for right wingers hoping to catch some young voters.

Well lets be honest, SJWs are the worst.

They aren't. They plainly aren't. Some of them can be annoying sometimes. Now take a look at the people you are allying yourself with by saying this nonsense.

wait, I took that "Well lets be honest, SJWs are the worst." as a joke. Like people saying "cats are the worst" or whatevs.

are you people saying that, based on previous posts, @Doodmann might be serious about that?

He's probably serious based on post history, but I doubt he realizes the association that is rapidly building around the statement. Because I'll be honest, a month or so ago, I was complaining about SJWs. People on a hare trigger on Tumblr, complaining about perceived injustices in a less than earnest manner. Putting down and berating would-be allies because they didn't get their language exactly right.

But the situation has changed. A reprehensible, organized, sexist, homophobic, regressive movement is forming to oppose anything they call "SJW" and I'm not gonna have a fucking part in that, no way in hell.

All of the bolded words represent groups of people I strongly dislike.

I'm not really concerned about what labels exist for who or what or anything.

But I dislike both these groups greatly.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    hermit crabs are affectionate pets

they love snuggling

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

haha no way is that an actual script that is going anywhere except in the next ayn rand movie

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    that breitbart review goes on and on about gays and lesbians when there is one lesbian and one homosexual guy in your party in dragon age inquisition

I know

I wish there were as many lesbians everywhere in games as he apparently thinks there are

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    Anyone who identifies as an SJW can't really be offended when they're lumped in with people who invent new gender pronouns for their alternate personalities.

uh, why not?

I fucking hate that caring about something suddenly makes me the same as an idiot of tumblr and therefore my opinion just as easy to dismiss

i agree

there's too much of lumping people in with "confederates" and "movements" these days.

i blame the recent tendency towards ideological and social silos.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Frankly a large percentage of people in this so-called liberal echo chamber would have been against Rosa Parks, judging by present attitudes.

ROSA PARKS WAS A PHONY

#ClaudetteColvin

seriously though, wut

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Gooey

Explain to me in 4 sentences or less why gas prices have suddenly tanked recently. I filled up my tank at $2.17/gallon yesterday. When I drove past the same gas station later that day, they'd already bumped it down to $2.15/gallon. I haven't seen gas prices this low since I was a youthful preteen. "The rising price of gas!!1" has been a ubiquitous political clarion call the entire time I've been conscious of politics at all. What happened yo?

Hakkekage‌

hmm ok

At the end of summer the global economy started to show signs of slowdown, with a glut of oil supply due in a large part to increased domestic US oil production. OPEC (the "middle east" to most people) makes up about 1/3 global oil production. In a meeting over Thanksgiving, OPEC declined to cut production to reduce supply and bolster prices. Markets subsequently lost their shit and oil has gone in the tank.

Hilarious side effect: SUV sales are going up

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    this is nice cuz no fancy tricks just… carvin mmm…

shit i need to eat a lot right now

poo
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Anyone who identifies as an SJW can't really be offended when they're lumped in with people who invent new gender pronouns for their alternate personalities.

uh, why not?

I fucking hate that caring about something suddenly makes me the same as an idiot of tumblr and therefore my opinion just as easy to dismiss

Well it'd be like if I identified as a gamegater and then complained that people automatically assume I'm a shitty person.

haha, no

because I DONT identify as a "SJW" I identify as someone who cares about social justice issues

it would be like someone saying "I'm upset about paid positive video game reviews and poor game journalism" and you said "oh lol you're a GG person you shouldn't be listened to"

I mean the premise of my post was "anyone who identifies as an SJW..."

The movement itself is the problem. What a shock, because that happens to every fucking movement without a leader, focus or any sort of attempt at direction.

But yeah please don't put words in my post.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The definition seems to include anyone who acknowledges the existence of social issues ever since GG starting flinging it about in that manner.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    that breitbart review goes on and on about gays and lesbians when there is one lesbian and one homosexual guy in your party in dragon age inquisition

Maybe they believe in the Andrew "Dice" Clay beliefs in sexual preference "If you suck a dick, you're a f*%". Bisexuals need not apply aparently.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So my new roommate gets Game Informer.

First I was shocked this still exists.

But it was the sci-fi issue and had a top 25 list of Sci-fi games.

One they put Homeworld below Bioshock Infinite. Poor choice already. Second they had one picture of homeworld and one from I think a B5 mod? I am not sure. Could of just been B5. And there was no mention of modding.

They put Alpha Centauri at 11th below HL2. Ugh.

Number 1 was ME2. So okay, that is a decent choice.

Also no Descent:Freespace and only Wing Commander 2. Nothing about Privateer or Freelancer. But some how included Xenosaga?

Game Informer you crazy.

Honestly, I'm vaguely impressed they remembered Wing Commander at all. It seems like the default assumption of anything made for gamerz in print or on the internet is that if it didn't sell millions on a console in the 1990s it must not have existed at all.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is a SJW?

sig.gif
  • Options
    actually true story when i was a kid i had 2 hermit crabs - spike and rocky

spike was really old and big and i cried so hard when he died

rocky died later and i cried for him too

they are both buried in the backyard of my childhood home and i sat out in the garden to tell them goodbye when we moved

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    The definition seems to include anyone who acknowledges the existence of social issues ever since GG starting flinging it about in that manner.

Fuck them. They're trying to weaken feminism by comparing it to hysterical self-absorbed teenagers on tumblr.

When the race wars come, they'll be first against the wall, mark my words.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

uh, why not?

Well it'd be like if I identified as a gamegater and then complained that people automatically assume I'm a shitty person.

haha, no

because I DONT identify as a "SJW" I identify as someone who cares about social justice issues

it would be like someone saying "I'm upset about paid positive video game reviews and poor game journalism" and you said "oh lol you're a GG person you shouldn't be listened to"

I would like to put myself into this category.

Also I haven't really been keeping up with the GG thing other than they are unbelievable shitheels. I didn't realize the internet landscape had changed so much recently and an off the cuff comment like that would be taken so seriously and associate me with a group I don't want to even be in a neighboring state with.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Frankly a large percentage of people in this so-called liberal echo chamber would have been against Rosa Parks, judging by present attitudes.

ROSA PARKS WAS A PHONY

#ClaudetteColvin

seriously though, wut

She inconvenienced our COMMUTE WHAT THE FUCK

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I'm trying to imagine martin luther king making posts about his alt-sona on tumblr and it's just not working out

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    When someone says "SJW" they don't mean "Makes good political and social points to correct misgivings with the current structure of western civilization"

They're exaggerating the "warrior" bit of that to mean "crude, rude, dude(tte)s who think there's a point to be made by being a jerk to everyone who's not a *kin."

So no, don't take offense to "SJW" hate if you're a feminist/egalitarian. That's like getting angry at everyone else for hating the gammadion cross because the NAZI's propagated your design to push a hate message.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    These games selling in their millions
    Irond Will wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    But cats really are the worst.
    The best cats are the ones that are odd in the head and think they are dogs.

let's be honest. cats are the second-best pet.

every other pet besides cats and dogs are various admixtures of bizarre, pointless or cruel.

ferrets are awesome if they didnt fucking smell so bad.
    also if they didnt have a tendency to get themselves killed if let loose without supervision.

And pygmy hippos make excellent pets in my imagination.

some people sat that pygmy pigs are great pets

but i have a hard time trusting them because they are the sorts of people to own pygmy pigs

My favourite thing about the sudden fad for pygmy pigs is the number of people who were taken in by people selling pygmy pigs that, in the fullness of time, turned out to be ordinary pigs

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

i doubt it, but claiming movement that have been vindicated by history as ones' own while ascribing historical losers to your ideological foes is a real satisfying thing to do.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

uh, why not?

haha, no

The movement itself is the problem. What a shock, because that happens to every fucking movement without a leader, focus or any sort of attempt at direction.

ah I see

yeah okay, I don't identify as "SJW" in the sense of tumblr activist, I identify as a person who cares strongly about social justice issues. Which people assume is the same thing. That's kind of the problem.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »

It's not a thing

It does not exist

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    qycy2van0qw1.jpg
    I love you so much that when I grow up I'm still gonna try to sit on your lap and break every bone in your body.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

I know

I wish there were as many lesbians everywhere in games as he apparently thinks there are

i think he has a point

2/3 of my regular payday group are lesbians!

too many damn lesbians up in here arglebarge

(<3)

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

a derogative term used to dismiss someone's argument by comparing them to the minority idiot/outrageous view on the topic

( :P )

So It Goes on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Fuck them. They're trying to weaken feminism by comparing it to hysterical self-absorbed teenagers on tumblr.

Eh, I'm not particularly attached to the old definition, fighting for that definition would be going against the tide anyways, and "Social Justice Warrior" has a certain ring to it so I'd rather just reappropriate it.

• Options
    qycy2van0qw1.jpg
    I love you so much that when I grow up I'm still gonna try to sit on your lap and break every bone in your body.

...aldo??

919UOwT.png
  • Options

Eh, I'm not particularly attached to the old definition, fighting for that definition would be going against the tide anyways, and "Social Justice Warrior" has a certain ring to it so I'd rather just reappropriate it.

I'd rather not bicker about terms and get to murdering and eating some fucking rich white people already.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    qycy2van0qw1.jpg

I know it's a dangerous wild animal who given a year to grow will be easily capable of shattering every bone in my body without breaking a sweat, but awwwwwww look how cute he issssss!

sig.gif
  • Options

social justice warrior

it is a new term. It is new enough that some people call themselves a sjw proudly because they fight for things that need to be fought for; it has been used as a pejorative by some implying that people are frivolously enraged over issues that they should be ignoring. Whether it's good or bad or not is going to depend heavily on context and what a person is actually trying to confer (ie, you wouldn't be able to tell whether someone was using it as an insult or a compliment in, say, a tweet unless it had other context)

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

I know

i think he has a point

(<3)

I had no idea flukes was a lesbian

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

uh, why not?

haha, no

almost no one identifies as an "SJW" because the term is implicitly ironic and mocking.

it's suggesting that the person is really self-important and myopically proud of their social justice beliefs.

anyone who is claiming the term is generally doing a thing

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »

I know

i think he has a point

(<3)

I had no idea flukes was a lesbian

I hear they're finally releasing a female heister soon.

Bout time.

• Options

uh, why not?

haha, no

almost no one identifies as an "SJW" because the term is implicitly ironic and mocking.

it's suggesting that the person is really self-important and myopically proud of their social justice beliefs.

I see you haven't spent much time on tumblr lately.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Oh nooooo

People you don't interact with in real life have bad opinions on tumblr

What will you doooooo

This is so bad it's almost as bad as institutionalized racism

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Basically you treat SJW as "White Knight" in 2014/2015

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Best paradox episode ever!

Adventure Time did a pretty great time travel episode.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

uh, why not?

haha, no

irony doesn't always work out as intended

This discussion has been closed.