As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bob Saget [chat]

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Sometimes they say mean things about groups of people I belong to and I google it and then I look for it and read and I get mad for a little while

Oh nooooo

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    h0v3qt4upmdn.jpg
    We've been together for 20 years now and I still love you more than ever. LEMME HOP IN YOUR LAP WHEEEEEEE
    *CRACK SNAP CRUNCH OHGODCOVERYOUREARSCHILDREN*

Bless your heart.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    that breitbart review goes on and on about gays and lesbians when there is one lesbian and one homosexual guy in your party in dragon age inquisition

I know

I wish there were as many lesbians everywhere in games as he apparently thinks there are

i think he has a point

2/3 of my regular payday group are lesbians!

too many damn lesbians up in here arglebarge

(<3)

I had no idea flukes was a lesbian

I hear they're finally releasing a female heister soon.

Bout time.

tomorrow or wednesday (not sure which)

but yeah they've been on a new heister releasing spree

fuck gendered marketing
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is a SJW?

Social Justice Warrior

These days it's used mostly as a pejorative by silly geese who are threatened by anyone who isn't white, cismale, straight, and culturally mainstream.

It's kind of like Feminist or Liberal in that regard. You can tell a lot about a person by whether or not they say it like a slur.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is a SJW?

social justice warrior

it is a new term. It is new enough that some people call themselves a sjw proudly because they fight for things that need to be fought for; it has been used as a pejorative by some implying that people are frivolously enraged over issues that they should be ignoring. Whether it's good or bad or not is going to depend heavily on context and what a person is actually trying to confer (ie, you wouldn't be able to tell whether someone was using it as an insult or a compliment in, say, a tweet unless it had other context)

there are a lot of utterly infuriating people who label themselves at it, many just as bad as the folks over at GG, but the difference is the issue of social justice is a good important thing and video game journalism is basically unimportant

so when you use it a pejorative it says a lot abou tyou

override367 on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh no... someone just accidentally started a 64 person chat and included me in it. Many of these people are old.

Tell my parents I love them.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    ITT: I learned that reconciling my post-eric garner feelings with my political beliefs is hard.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Oh nooooo

People you don't interact with in real life have bad opinions on tumblr

What will you doooooo

This is so bad it's almost as bad as institutionalized racism

who cares about institutionalized racism when there's child slaves dying in Africa

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Sometimes they say mean things about groups of people I belong to and I google it and then I look for it and read and I get mad for a little while

Oh nooooo

i can't decide which people you're making fun of right now

Wqdwp8l.png
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    When someone says "SJW" they don't mean "Makes good political and social points to correct misgivings with the current structure of western civilization"

They're exaggerating the "warrior" bit of that to mean "crude, rude, dude(tte)s who think there's a point to be made by being a jerk to everyone who's not a *kin."

So no, don't take offense to "SJW" hate if you're a feminist/egalitarian. That's like getting angry at everyone else for hating the gammadion cross because the NAZI's propagated your design to push a hate message.

The term is being used much more widely these days, from what I've seen. Obviously the gamergaters are an extreme but anyone questioning if maybe there should be more female or poc main characters in media can get the label thrown at them.

Elki wrote: »
    Oh no... someone just accidentally started a 64 person chat and included me in it. Many of these people are old.

Tell my parents I love them.

no elki! that way lies madness!

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    You can tell a lot about a person by whether or not they say it like a slur.

like?

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    hippos are terrifying man

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    ITT: I learned that reconciling my post-eric garner feelings with my political beliefs is hard.

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I read it as people who do not speak for me trying to speak for me and saying terrible misguided things in my name

I hate that

fuck gendered marketing
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Anyone who identifies as an SJW can't really be offended when they're lumped in with people who invent new gender pronouns for their alternate personalities.

uh, why not?

I fucking hate that caring about something suddenly makes me the same as an idiot of tumblr and therefore my opinion just as easy to dismiss

Woah woah

You were willing to lump someone who used a term in with people who are fucking vile human beings, because they also use that term.

You don't get to paint people with a broad brush and then object when it gets done to you. We all play by the same rules here.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Irond Will wrote: »

Oh nooooo

Not my group I get shouted at on the street sometimes!

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

Well, yes.

That's kind of how I feel.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

like?

their favorite law and order ADA

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    basically calling someone a SJW is trying to invalidate any and all opinions they have and says more about the person saying it than the person that is being called it

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    When someone says "SJW" they don't mean "Makes good political and social points to correct misgivings with the current structure of western civilization"

They're exaggerating the "warrior" bit of that to mean "crude, rude, dude(tte)s who think there's a point to be made by being a jerk to everyone who's not a *kin."

So no, don't take offense to "SJW" hate if you're a feminist/egalitarian. That's like getting angry at everyone else for hating the gammadion cross because the NAZI's propagated your design to push a hate message.

The term is being used much more widely these days, from what I've seen. Obviously the gamergaters are an extreme but anyone questioning if maybe there should be more female or poc main characters in media can get the label thrown at them.

GTAV is the only game of recent memory where one of the main characters is a POC.

GTA is a pretty progressive, if satirical, game in its own right. It's too bad people ignore it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

Oh nooooo

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Anyone who identifies as an SJW can't really be offended when they're lumped in with people who invent new gender pronouns for their alternate personalities.

uh, why not?

I fucking hate that caring about something suddenly makes me the same as an idiot of tumblr and therefore my opinion just as easy to dismiss

Woah woah

You were willing to lump someone who used a term in with people who are fucking vile human beings, because they also use that term.

You don't get to paint people with a broad brush and then object when it gets done to you. We all play by the same rules here.

GGers proudly wear their label. They don't get painted with a brush they wear a team jersey

says one social justicey thing suddenly you are a SJW

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @Bogart‌ @Jacobkosh‌ The Invisibles is awesome, you should know. Well, I guess you do. Took me a while to get started on reading. I still haven't finished the first book.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »

GTAV is the only game of recent memory where one of the main characters is a POC.

GTA is a pretty progressive, if satirical, game in its own right. It's too bad people ignore it.

Does Desmond count in assassins creed

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Aside from the really weird *kin shit on tumblr, it's got some pretty cool stuff buried there. If you look hard enough, it could realistically be deviantart 2.0.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    SJW feels like a bad comparison group to gamergater.

Maybe terfs as a group instead?

guys I am in a terrible mood today

normally some tay sway or katy perry is enough to pop me out of a funk

hmm

gotta go deeper

*puts on Call Me Maybe*

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

Oh nooooo

i got yelled at from a car for wearing a fedora hat!

Wqdwp8l.png
    deviantart being the elfwood 2.0 from the early web days!

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

Well, yes.

That's kind of how I feel.

Don't worry it is the right way to feel in many ways.

But take that anger and make it productive. You can't really burn the system down but you can try to reform it bits and pieces.

Mostly via being proactive.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I read plenty of hokey and reductive political stuff on tumblr, but I have also read a lot of insightful posts where someone lays out their experiences as, like, a queer anarchist person of color and it is interesting and different from my life and I feel like I have been given some kind of insight.

Also there is a tumblr called "fuckyeahbrutalism" which is nothing but brutalist architecture

Therefore tumblr rulez

Hmm I assumed Desmond was Native American for some reason. I wonder why

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Cinders wrote: »
    SJW feels like a bad comparison group to gamergater.

Maybe terfs as a group instead?

omg fuck terfs

fuck gendered marketing

Oh nooooo

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

??

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure what you're all arguing about at this point. I think I'll sit out chat for a bit.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

like?

Well if someone is ranting about "those SJWs, those feminists, those liberals" I hear it in the same tone of voice as the "n word"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

uh, why not?

Woah woah

huh? I was?

and anyway, are all terms the same? all movements have equal value?

So It Goes on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Oh nooooo

People you don't interact with in real life have bad opinions on tumblr

What will you doooooo

This is so bad it's almost as bad as institutionalized racism
    but what if it is me that is having the bad opinions on tumblr??!?!?!?!

dun dun duuuuunnnn

dfzn9elrnajf.png
This discussion has been closed.