As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bob Saget [chat]

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    desc wrote: »
    I read plenty of hokey and reductive political stuff on tumblr, but I have also read a lot of insightful posts where someone lays out their experiences as, like, a queer anarchist person of color and it is interesting and different from my life and I feel like I have been given some kind of insight.

yeah i like that stuff

trying to get your head around different perspectives is interesting and i think important

Wqdwp8l.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    SJW feels like a bad comparison group to gamergater.

Maybe terfs as a group instead?

it's a pretty bad comparison because of what the two issues stand for (at least on their face)

Social Justice vs Ethics in Game Journalism

which is more important

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Hmm I assumed Desmond was Native American for some reason. I wonder why

he must be part native, since conor in #3 was half-native.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    Anyone who identifies as an SJW can't really be offended when they're lumped in with people who invent new gender pronouns for their alternate personalities.

uh, why not?

I fucking hate that caring about something suddenly makes me the same as an idiot of tumblr and therefore my opinion just as easy to dismiss

Woah woah

You were willing to lump someone who used a term in with people who are fucking vile human beings, because they also use that term.

You don't get to paint people with a broad brush and then object when it gets done to you. We all play by the same rules here.
    I actually firmly believe (and can probably prove) that we are all NOT playing by the same rules. Although many people will go to great lengths to prove that we are all playing by the same rules. This applies to pretty much everything, in this thread, in D&D, in all games, in the whole universe. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    When someone says "SJW" they don't mean "Makes good political and social points to correct misgivings with the current structure of western civilization"

They're exaggerating the "warrior" bit of that to mean "crude, rude, dude(tte)s who think there's a point to be made by being a jerk to everyone who's not a *kin."

So no, don't take offense to "SJW" hate if you're a feminist/egalitarian. That's like getting angry at everyone else for hating the gammadion cross because the NAZI's propagated your design to push a hate message.

The term is being used much more widely these days, from what I've seen. Obviously the gamergaters are an extreme but anyone questioning if maybe there should be more female or poc main characters in media can get the label thrown at them.

GTAV is the only game of recent memory where one of the main characters is a POC.

GTA is a pretty progressive, if satirical, game in its own right. It's too bad people ignore it.

Does Desmond count in assassins creed

I dunno... I could see someone bitching he's too white. He's arab right?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm not even sure what you're all arguing about at this point. I think I'll sit out chat for a bit.
    look what you did
    you unleashed the terrifying power of Poes Law

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    there are rules now?

what are we even playing?

fuck gendered marketing
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Noooo, grooveshark, what are you doing

Why is Lose Yourself by Eminem the 13th track on Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    i am a little frosty at nerds and social justice people for ruining fedoras

frankie bought me one like a decade ago and i wore it out to fancy things sometimes and thought it was smart!

and now they're ruined!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    mom's spaghetti

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I think logic does apply to everyone though

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The problem with [chat] is all the chatters

4ia5KlKl.jpg

Lh96QHG.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    it's kinda like "try-hard" to me

I beat someone in a vidya and they call me a try-hard and I kinda had to wonder if they meant it as an insult at first

yeah maybe I do try hard — I'm pretty happy with doing that.

TehSloth wrote: »

yo I dunno man I didn't make it

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    I read plenty of hokey and reductive political stuff on tumblr, but I have also read a lot of insightful posts where someone lays out their experiences as, like, a queer anarchist person of color and it is interesting and different from my life and I feel like I have been given some kind of insight.

yeah i like that stuff

trying to get your head around different perspectives is interesting and i think important

Plus there's boobs and drawings of cyborgs

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

frankie bought me one like a decade ago and i wore it out to fancy things sometimes and thought it was smart!

and now they're ruined!

we watched a Columbo last night and the murderer guy had a sick fedora

looked so classy

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    To a certain extent tumblr makes me feel old because I've never really grasped how it works

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

and now they're ruined!

looked so classy

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Anyone who identifies as an SJW can't really be offended when they're lumped in with people who invent new gender pronouns for their alternate personalities.

uh, why not?

I fucking hate that caring about something suddenly makes me the same as an idiot of tumblr and therefore my opinion just as easy to dismiss

Woah woah

You were willing to lump someone who used a term in with people who are fucking vile human beings, because they also use that term.

You don't get to paint people with a broad brush and then object when it gets done to you. We all play by the same rules here.

GGers proudly wear their label. They don't get painted with a brush they wear a team jersey

says one social justicey thing suddenly you are a SJW

I was more talking about lumping in anyone who uses that word pejoratively with the GGers.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Elki wrote: »
    @Bogart‌ @Jacobkosh‌ The Invisibles is awesome, you should know. Well, I guess you do. Took me a while to get started on reading. I still haven't finished the first book.

@Elki fuck yes! And the good news is, it gets better. Like way better.

Annotations, issue by issue. I cannot recommend these strongly enough although they might be best saved until after you're done reading the series, I'm not sure how spoilery they are: http://www.barbelith.com/bomb/

rRwz9.gif
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    TehSloth wrote: »

Because it's ghetto music.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Also because of these damn kids with their fanfics and shipping

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    this shanghai bok choy ish that comes in a big bag from chinatown is ez way for me to get in veggies

cheap

put in microwave

put some soy sauce on it

eat

poo
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    When someone says "SJW" they don't mean "Makes good political and social points to correct misgivings with the current structure of western civilization"

They're exaggerating the "warrior" bit of that to mean "crude, rude, dude(tte)s who think there's a point to be made by being a jerk to everyone who's not a *kin."

So no, don't take offense to "SJW" hate if you're a feminist/egalitarian. That's like getting angry at everyone else for hating the gammadion cross because the NAZI's propagated your design to push a hate message.

The term is being used much more widely these days, from what I've seen. Obviously the gamergaters are an extreme but anyone questioning if maybe there should be more female or poc main characters in media can get the label thrown at them.

GTAV is the only game of recent memory where one of the main characters is a POC.

GTA is a pretty progressive, if satirical, game in its own right. It's too bad people ignore it.

Does Desmond count in assassins creed

Or , still AC, the main character of Liberation. Aveline. Whis is black.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    derogatory terms are not allowed for some people

allowed for others

these are the forums we inhabit.

and now they're ruined!

I still rock mine on occasion cuz I'm not sure anyone in my entire social circle is aware of reddit/tumblr/whoever ruined fedoras and created the dumb m'lady meme thing

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

and now they're ruined!

Fedoras can work if you're dressing like you should be wearing a fedora.

If you're wearing a silk shirt with flames and JNCO pants... a fedora is probably not the concept one should entertain. Besides, you don't want to get cheeto dust on the brim anyways.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    that breitbart review goes on and on about gays and lesbians when there is one lesbian and one homosexual guy in your party in dragon age inquisition

I know

I wish there were as many lesbians everywhere in games as he apparently thinks there are

i think he has a point

2/3 of my regular payday group are lesbians!

too many damn lesbians up in here arglebarge

(<3)

I had no idea flukes was a lesbian

@elldren

he keeps it to himself mostly >.>

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Sometimes they say mean things about groups of people I belong to and I google it and then I look for it and read and I get mad for a little while

Oh nooooo

i can't decide which people you're making fun of right now

Not my group I get shouted at on the street sometimes!

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I uh

Are you minimizing when I get upset and afraid when people follow me and my boyfriend around and call us faggots

Is that what's going on here

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

uh, why not?

Woah woah

GGers proudly wear their label. They don't get painted with a brush they wear a team jersey

says one social justicey thing suddenly you are a SJW

I was more talking about lumping in anyone who uses that word pejoratively with the GGers.
    Fair enough.

and now they're ruined!

looked so classy

it is upsetting! i looked pretty good in hats!

for a while i could still pull them off, since i wear a jacket and tie most days

i mean maybe i looked a little like a hipster, but at least i didn't look like a self-pitying viciously misogynist nerd

now they're just lost

RIP FEDORA

A CASUALTY OF THE CULTURE WARS

Wqdwp8l.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The problem with [chat] is all the chatters

4ia5KlKl.jpg

this store would be great without all the customers

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

and now they're ruined!

Poor Will

Walking down the street getting profiled as a M'lady

Irond Erasure is real

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    there are rules now?

what are we even playing?

Monopoly.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Social Justice Warrior used to mean something, dammit!

It wasn't just a pejorative for anyone who happened to care about social justice issues.

It was a very specific kind of person for whom "getting righteously indignant at every single thing ever" was a way of life.

There's maybe one person on these forums who I'd have described that way but now the term iw so watered down what's the point anymore.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

and now they're ruined!
    Meh, I'm safe and sound here with my bowler hat. And I have a backup sombrero just in case!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

and now they're ruined!

There's still time

They can come back

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    You can tell a lot about a person by whether or not they say it like a slur.

like?

Well if someone is ranting about "those SJWs, those feminists, those liberals" I hear it in the same tone of voice as the "n word"

sounds like a personal problem tbh.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »
    To a certain extent tumblr makes me feel old because I've never really grasped how it works

i find it hellaciously user-unfriendly both to browse and to administrate

rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.