As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bob Saget [chat]

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    there are rules now?

what are we even playing?

Monopoly.

but SKFM has already won

no matter who wins he still gets all the rent

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Subject: hell0
    I Have Briefing On Proposal

I have no idea what the purpose of this spam is

That is the email in its entirety, there are no links or mysterious attachments

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    it's kinda like "try-hard" to me

I beat someone in a vidya and they call me a try-hard and I kinda had to wonder if they meant it as an insult at first

yeah maybe I do try hard — I'm pretty happy with doing that.

tryhard is the most infuriating insult

I don't know what possessed these people to turn "I put effort into being good at something" into an insult but they are the worst people.

Go away, fking casuals. We are trying hard in this sphere.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bro do you even justice warrior?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i am a little frosty at nerds and social justice people for ruining fedoras

frankie bought me one like a decade ago and i wore it out to fancy things sometimes and thought it was smart!

and now they're ruined!

Fedoras can work if you're dressing like you should be wearing a fedora.

If you're wearing a silk shirt with flames and JNCO pants... a fedora is probably not the concept one should entertain. Besides, you don't want to get cheeto dust on the brim anyways.

Be Harrison Ford and wear a fedora, pure waifu bait.

6.jpg

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

frankie bought me one like a decade ago and i wore it out to fancy things sometimes and thought it was smart!

and now they're ruined!

You could always not give a fuck what some asshole thinks and wear what you want?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    derogatory terms are not allowed for some people

allowed for others

these are the forums we inhabit.
    Look. Some animals are more equal than others.

I have a pet store near by me that's called Animal Farm. Which is really horrifying.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    ITT: I learned that reconciling my post-eric garner feelings with my political beliefs is hard.

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

Well, yes.

That's kind of how I feel.

Don't worry it is the right way to feel in many ways.

But take that anger and make it productive. You can't really burn the system down but you can try to reform it bits and pieces.

Mostly via being proactive.

This is going to get hella personal so I'm gonna put it in spoilers:
    Well, while I've never been conservative, I've always had deep problems with some of the core tenants of what I guess you can call american liberalism

Mostly I was just shocked at how angry people got when trying to change other's views. MLK wasn't (outwardly) angry. Nelson Mandela wasn't angry. I always thought the best way to change the system was to change people's hearts and minds, and the best way to do that was to be a role model, to open frank dialogue. To try and change things iteratively, knowing that eventually things basically got better

but after the Eric Garner ruling and Ferguson, I felt like things aren't getting better. I felt, maybe for the first time, an undirected and undirectable anger at a system. And I'm tired of frank dialogue, I'm tired of the same old ignorant bullshit spouted by trite, unconvincing arguments. I'm tired of being tolerant.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

I beat someone in a vidya and they call me a try-hard and I kinda had to wonder if they meant it as an insult at first

I don't know what possessed these people to turn "I put effort into being good at something" into an insult but they are the worst people.

:(

poo
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2014
    i have a tweed fedora (actually it's a trilby, which is apparently it's own kind of worse hell) that i wear when it's raining and i am walking the dogs

i wore it walking to the tribs bar last week with with jake and dk because it was drizzling

fuck the haters milady4lyfe

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    So many sign outs today. Do you even care mobile.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Wondering if I should plan the next 5 or so episodes for my vid or just go with whatevs and pick right after I publish a vid.

Planning beforehand would let me get footage way early.

But not planning? It could mean having people vote on the next game for me to review out of a list or something.

Such a conundrum.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    there are rules now?

what are we even playing?

Monopoly.

but SKFM has already won

no matter who wins he still gets all the rent

Exactly!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I have a panama hat kicking around somewhere

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    like, cats are far worse pets than dogs in just about every metric

but the distance between cats and dogs is miniscule compared to the distance between cats and whatever the next-best thing is

ORLY

Red-panda.jpg
    862285.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    ITT: I learned that reconciling my post-eric garner feelings with my political beliefs is hard.

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

Well, yes.

But take that anger and make it productive. You can't really burn the system down but you can try to reform it bits and pieces.

Well, while I've never been conservative, I've always had deep problems with some of the core tenants of what I guess you can call american liberalism

Mostly I was just shocked at how angry people got when trying to change other's views. MLK wasn't (outwardly) angry. Nelson Mandela wasn't angry. I always thought the best way to change the system was to change people's hearts and minds, and the best way to do that was to be a role model, to open frank dialogue. To try and change things iteratively, knowing that eventually things basically got better

but after the Eric Garner ruling and Ferguson, I felt like things aren't getting better. I felt, maybe for the first time, an undirected and undirectable anger at a system. And I'm tired of frank dialogue, I'm tired of the same old ignorant bullshit spouted by trite, unconvincing arguments. I'm tired of being tolerant.

*jokes about cannibalism*

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Try hard means in an in house they pick a hard counter for teemo every time you pick teemo

Also they are better than you

Anyway that's what it means to me.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    derogatory terms are not allowed for some people

allowed for others

these are the forums we inhabit.

Course a coonass say something like that.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    To a certain extent tumblr makes me feel old because I've never really grasped how it works

Step 1. You post something great, like a digital painting of a cyberpunk cityscape in the rain.
    Step 2. I push the "like" button.
    Step 3. You have won at tumblr.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I actually think old dudes can still pull off hats. Once you're fully grey I think you get more hat leeway.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    To a certain extent tumblr makes me feel old because I've never really grasped how it works

i find it hellaciously user-unfriendly both to browse and to administrate

I do wonder if that's kind of deliberate?

Like, it's the technology equivalent of polari

Designed to allow a particular crowd to determine who's in and who's out while remaining kind of opaque but non suspicious

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

and now they're ruined!

Fedoras can work if you're dressing like you should be wearing a fedora.

If you're wearing a silk shirt with flames and JNCO pants... a fedora is probably not the concept one should entertain. Besides, you don't want to get cheeto dust on the brim anyways.

Be Harrison Ford and wear a fedora, pure waifu bait.
    6.jpg

I used to work with a dude who wore an indiana jones fedora occasionally and pretty much everyone in the office referred to him as Indy -- I'm not sure he liked that.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Anyone who identifies as an SJW can't really be offended when they're lumped in with people who invent new gender pronouns for their alternate personalities.

uh, why not?

I fucking hate that caring about something suddenly makes me the same as an idiot of tumblr and therefore my opinion just as easy to dismiss

Woah woah

You were willing to lump someone who used a term in with people who are fucking vile human beings, because they also use that term.

You don't get to paint people with a broad brush and then object when it gets done to you. We all play by the same rules here.

huh? I was?

and anyway, are all terms the same? all movements have equal value?

Of course all movements don't have equal value.

Doodman was getting lumped in with GGers pretty clearly, and that's not a good thing to do just because he might use a term the way that they do. Hell, you objected to being lumped in with people who you might use similar discourse to.

Really, the issue that I find disconcerting, is the idea that if someone agrees with a group about one thing that they must therefore agree about all things. I don't know what all the objectionable groups are out there, and I can't guarantee that I don't agree with them about some things. But that doesn't mean that I agree with everything that they do.

I mean, I don't really use the term SJW at all, because I just don't have cause to. But I can tell you that I don't mind it being used to single out people who are actually doing more harm than good to the cause that they profess to support. Advancing a progressive social agenda is hard, and we don't need people making it harder by supporting causes badly.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

I think you're seeing it from the wrong perspective. Imagine the guy who shows up to a friendly competition and flips the table. Whenever I hear the term try hard I associate it with the person who has to be reminded that it's just a game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

seriously though

casuals wouldn't care enough to message someone about being a try-hard after losing a game

unless.... they are try-harding at being a casual : O

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Try hard means in an in house they pick a hard counter for teemo every time you pick teemo

those jerks

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Grognard is my favorite one of those.

Works so well.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    oh red pandas

someday I will have the capital to farm you

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I actually think old dudes can still pull off hats. Once you're fully grey I think you get more hat leeway.
    When you're an "olds", you can get away with a LOT of shit.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

Well, yes.

I think you missed something.

MLK was angry. Mandela was angry. Ghandi was angry. They were all angry. Their anger didn't dictate their tactics. They used the anger to fuel them. Non-violence, rational discussions and protest aren't tactics used by those without anger but those with anger.

Let the anger drive you but don't let it overcome you I think.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Oh nooooo

People you don't interact with in real life have bad opinions on tumblr

What will you doooooo

This is so bad it's almost as bad as institutionalized racism

don't you get sassy with me, mister.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

and now they're ruined!

You could always not give a fuck what some asshole thinks and wear what you want?

Fashion is pretty much being good at caring what other people think, or if you're very good, controlling it

It is a valuable skill

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

duly noted. will now refer to spool as a "poop sock"

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

I think try hard is reserved for when someone puts more effort into a friendly encounter than is really warranted

I've mainly used it when I pick something I'm not good at for fun and someone picks something they're the best at and they absolutely no mercy play to win

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i dunno guys i think it's too late for the fedora

i think it'll come back into fashion around the same time as the toothbrush mustache

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    When you're an "olds", you can get away with a LOT of shit.

Because society no longer cares about you one way or the other. Freedom. But at what cost.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

I think you're seeing it from the wrong perspective. Imagine the guy who shows up to a friendly competition and flips the table. Whenever I hear the term try hard I associate it with the person who has to be reminded that it's just a game.

yeah i think i agree with this

i went to boardgame night with coworkers some years ago and i went hoping to drink a little and have fun and they came ready to compete at the peaks of their abilities

they were definitely tryhards

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Casual Eddy is a teemo-ist

all committing Teemo related hate crimes

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    oh my god b-school was full of tryhards

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    I wonder how effective we would be today at domesticating wild animals, if there were some real efforts put into the field.

Probably those damn animal SJWs with their 'ethics', and 'preservation' stopping us. :P

This discussion has been closed.