As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bob Saget [chat]

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I think try hard is reserved for when someone puts more effort into a friendly encounter than is really warranted

I've mainly used it when I pick something I'm not good at for fun and someone picks something they're the best at and they absolutely no mercy play to win

i just remember you yelling at me for my sub-optimal build from the other room and then hearing it again a split second later on vent.

so hurtful

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    To a certain extent tumblr makes me feel old because I've never really grasped how it works

i find it hellaciously user-unfriendly both to browse and to administrate

very much this. I hate tumblr because they actually found a way to make a UI worse than facebook

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Casual Eddy is a teemo-ist

all committing Teemo related hate crimes

Oh no. Don't throw me in the briar bushes, Tryhardamere

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    ITT: I learned that reconciling my post-eric garner feelings with my political beliefs is hard.

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

Well, yes.

That's kind of how I feel.

Don't worry it is the right way to feel in many ways.

But take that anger and make it productive. You can't really burn the system down but you can try to reform it bits and pieces.

Mostly via being proactive.

This is going to get hella personal so I'm gonna put it in spoilers:
    Well, while I've never been conservative, I've always had deep problems with some of the core tenants of what I guess you can call american liberalism

Mostly I was just shocked at how angry people got when trying to change other's views. MLK wasn't (outwardly) angry. Nelson Mandela wasn't angry. I always thought the best way to change the system was to change people's hearts and minds, and the best way to do that was to be a role model, to open frank dialogue. To try and change things iteratively, knowing that eventually things basically got better

but after the Eric Garner ruling and Ferguson, I felt like things aren't getting better. I felt, maybe for the first time, an undirected and undirectable anger at a system. And I'm tired of frank dialogue, I'm tired of the same old ignorant bullshit spouted by trite, unconvincing arguments. I'm tired of being tolerant.
    Mandela did use violence before being in prison, though he didn't deliberately kill people with it.
    Inspired by Fidel Castro's 26th of July Movement in the Cuban Revolution, in 1961 Mandela co-founded Umkhonto we Sizwe ("Spear of the Nation", abbreviated MK) with the long-time leader of the South African Communist Party (SACP), Joe Slovo and Walter Sisulu. Becoming chairman of the militant group, he gained ideas from illegal literature on guerilla warfare by Mao Zedong and Che Guevara. Officially separate from the ANC, in later years MK became the group's armed wing.[108] Most early MK members were white communists; after hiding in communist Wolfie Kodesh's flat in Berea, Mandela moved to the communist-owned Liliesleaf Farm in Rivonia, there joined by Raymond Mhlaba, Slovo and Bernstein, who put together the MK constitution.[109] Although Mandela himself denied ever being a member of the SACP, historical research published in 2011 strongly suggested that he might have been for a short period, starting from the late 1950s or early 1960s.[110] This was confirmed after his death by the SACP and the ANC. According to the SACP, he was not only a member of the party, but also served on the party's Central Committee, when he was arrested in 1962 and this was denied for political reasons.[111][112][113]

Mandela's former home in the Johannesburg township of Soweto
    Operating through a cell structure, MK agreed to acts of sabotage to exert maximum pressure on the government with minimum casualties, bombing military installations, power plants, telephone lines and transport links at night, when civilians were not present. Mandela stated that they chose sabotage not only because it was the least harmful action, but also "because it did not involve loss of life [and] it offered the best hope for reconciliation among the races afterward." He noted that "strict instructions were given to members of MK that we would countenance no loss of life", but should these tactics fail, MK would resort to "guerilla warfare and terrorism".[114] Soon after ANC leader Luthuli was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, MK publicly announced its existence with 57 bombings on Dingane's Day (16 December) 1961, followed by further attacks on New Year's Eve.[115]

MLK was the good cop to Malcolm X's bad cop. He didn't operate alone as the sole authority in the Civil Rights movement. I'm not saying X was better, on the contrary, but at the time there was a call to react with violence against oppressors.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    ITT: I learned that reconciling my post-eric garner feelings with my political beliefs is hard.

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

Well, yes.

But take that anger and make it productive. You can't really burn the system down but you can try to reform it bits and pieces.

Well, while I've never been conservative, I've always had deep problems with some of the core tenants of what I guess you can call american liberalism

Mostly I was just shocked at how angry people got when trying to change other's views. MLK wasn't (outwardly) angry. Nelson Mandela wasn't angry. I always thought the best way to change the system was to change people's hearts and minds, and the best way to do that was to be a role model, to open frank dialogue. To try and change things iteratively, knowing that eventually things basically got better

but after the Eric Garner ruling and Ferguson, I felt like things aren't getting better. I felt, maybe for the first time, an undirected and undirectable anger at a system. And I'm tired of frank dialogue, I'm tired of the same old ignorant bullshit spouted by trite, unconvincing arguments. I'm tired of being tolerant.

I think you missed something.

MLK was angry. Mandela was angry. Ghandi was angry. They were all angry. Their anger didn't dictate their tactics. They used the anger to fuel them. Non-violence, rational discussions and protest aren't tactics used by those without anger but those with anger.

Let the anger drive you but don't let it overcome you I think.
    Yeah, it's easy to look back at those historical periods in retrospect and glorify the best parts of those people. But during his time, MLK was dismissed as "the angry negro" by his contemporaries, and he was fiery and angry.

However, I understand what you are saying, Greeper. At some point (different points, for different people), you start to feel that the system isn't just and that old ignorant bullshit has won the day. Some people, inoculated by their own lucky lot in life, may never reach this point. The recent rulings in Ferguson and NYC have started some hard conversations, crossing ideologies and party lines. I'm glad you're thinking about it, wherever you end up in the whole continuum.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    domesticated foxes and red pandas are beautiful animals, but not really particularly domesticated. owning a wild animal as a pet is pretty cruel imo - they just don't understand the environment or social milieu.

people who own birds as pets have a hole in their souls.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Tryhard is almost always a social insult when I hear it

Like that guy desperately straining to fulfill the expectations for the archetype he wants to inhabit

Andre from The League and Mac from Always Sunny are tryhards in that way

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I went to the gym and worked out and my mood is so much better now.

Never don't work out.

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    oh my god b-school was full of tryhards

you went to a good b-school. they needed to be.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Never try

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    I wonder how effective we would be today at domesticating wild animals, if there were some real efforts put into the field.

Probably those damn animal SJWs with their 'ethics', and 'preservation' stopping us. :P

Probably amazing! Look at the Russian fox study. Took a very short time to domesticate wild foxes through selective breeding

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i am a little frosty at nerds and social justice people for ruining fedoras

frankie bought me one like a decade ago and i wore it out to fancy things sometimes and thought it was smart!

and now they're ruined!

You could always not give a fuck what some asshole thinks and wear what you want?

Fashion is pretty much being good at caring what other people think, or if you're very good, controlling it

It is a valuable skill

And being pretty.

Being pretty opens a lot of doors wrt to fashion.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    it's kinda like "try-hard" to me

I beat someone in a vidya and they call me a try-hard and I kinda had to wonder if they meant it as an insult at first

yeah maybe I do try hard — I'm pretty happy with doing that.

tryhard is the most infuriating insult

I don't know what possessed these people to turn "I put effort into being good at something" into an insult but they are the worst people.

Go away, fking casuals. We are trying hard in this sphere.

I think you're seeing it from the wrong perspective. Imagine the guy who shows up to a friendly competition and flips the table. Whenever I hear the term try hard I associate it with the person who has to be reminded that it's just a game.

yeah i think i agree with this

i went to boardgame night with coworkers some years ago and i went hoping to drink a little and have fun and they came ready to compete at the peaks of their abilities

they were definitely tryhards

yeah OK DUE and Will

this is also annoying and I agree with this definition.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

frankie bought me one like a decade ago and i wore it out to fancy things sometimes and thought it was smart!

and now they're ruined!

You could always not give a fuck what some asshole thinks and wear what you want?

Fashion is pretty much being good at caring what other people think, or if you're very good, controlling it

It is a valuable skill

Sometimes I think folks care to much.

I know I care to little. And this is a problem for me. I admit that. But the "X people wear Y and I don't like them so I wont wear Y" always seems shitty to me.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I think try hard is reserved for when someone puts more effort into a friendly encounter than is really warranted

I've mainly used it when I pick something I'm not good at for fun and someone picks something they're the best at and they absolutely no mercy play to win

i just remember you yelling at me for my sub-optimal build from the other room and then hearing it again a split second later on vent.

so hurtful

well

You needed to be a try some

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    like, cats are far worse pets than dogs in just about every metric

but the distance between cats and dogs is miniscule compared to the distance between cats and whatever the next-best thing is

ORLY

Red-panda.jpg
    862285.jpg

both caniforms so way more related to dogs than cats

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I wonder how effective we would be today at domesticating wild animals, if there were some real efforts put into the field.

Probably those damn animal SJWs with their 'ethics', and 'preservation' stopping us. :P
    Apparently, we are really effective:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox

EDIT: And beat'ed. Damn.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

Yeah

I think that it's when you care more about winning than having fun or playing with your bros.

If you no mercy pull out all the stops to win at all times and never have fun just doing something silly, you are a try hard.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Probably amazing! Look at the Russian fox study. Took a very short time to domesticate wild foxes through selective breeding

yeah it's not difficult it just takes time. You need several generations which for most animals people would want as pets means a couple decades at least.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    What about those golf looking hats?

I see dudes wearing those all the time. I'm surprised those have lasted as long as they have.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Yeah I can see that

tryharding at something like a game of munchkin would be hilarious and also terrible

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    it's kinda like "try-hard" to me

I beat someone in a vidya and they call me a try-hard and I kinda had to wonder if they meant it as an insult at first

yeah maybe I do try hard — I'm pretty happy with doing that.

tryhard is the most infuriating insult

I don't know what possessed these people to turn "I put effort into being good at something" into an insult but they are the worst people.

Go away, fking casuals. We are trying hard in this sphere.

I think you're seeing it from the wrong perspective. Imagine the guy who shows up to a friendly competition and flips the table. Whenever I hear the term try hard I associate it with the person who has to be reminded that it's just a game.

yeah i think i agree with this

i went to boardgame night with coworkers some years ago and i went hoping to drink a little and have fun and they came ready to compete at the peaks of their abilities

they were definitely tryhards

MAYBE THEY SMELLED "SPY" ON YOU

• Options
    I need some cardio I can do at home in my modest indoor space during winter

I am not going to leave the indoors when it's -30 but I can't just become a blob

I wonder if I can fit jump rope into my space

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

Well, yes.

Since this is chat:
    The point where I turned a corner on a lot of these things is when I realized that there really is no reason black people should feel as integrated into our system as your average white person should (because in general your interests are hella represented).

And that not only should they basically not feel apart of the American dream, there are plenty of people who are okay with them remaining outside of it and some who are actively working to keep it that way. I don't necessarily feel the same way as the general consensus even here on cases like Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner or Micheal Brown but I can see why even regardless of guilt in each individual case, the system basically failed in advocating for truth in each instance.

The Micheal Brown grand jury and investigation leading up to it was a fucking farce and I feel like I can say that without qualification. And I'm not even entirely sure if Darren Wilson acted unlawfully in that case. But no one in the criminal justice system seemed to give a shit and that is where the disconnect is.

Fucking here in the tri-state area the police got their way %100 and they are still ready to riot over the perceived slight from DeBlasio in not helping them circle the wagons fast enough.

And all of these cases are just slice of life type things that only begin to reveal some of the systemic ways the deck is stacked against anyone unlucky enough to be born poor and brown.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

so hurtful

well

this is great

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Neco! I haven't seen you in forever.

How are you?

• Options

and now they're ruined!

It is a valuable skill

I know I care to little. And this is a problem for me. I admit that. But the "X people wear Y and I don't like them so I wont wear Y" always seems shitty to me.

i make an effort to look sharp, or at least intentional.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

How are you?

Cinders! Hi!

I'm doing ok...life was being life so I haven't been around. How are you?

• Options

and now they're ruined!

It is a valuable skill

It is shitty, but them's the breaks

A fedora (and any similar hat) means something now, and it is basically impossible to avoid that meaning when one wears it

Unless you are LITERALLY performing a period piece

This is the trivial tyranny of fashion

• Options
    I need some cardio I can do at home in my modest indoor space during winter

I am not going to leave the indoors when it's -30 but I can't just become a blob

I wonder if I can fit jump rope into my space

Leaving the gym immediately after a workout when it's -30 is actually godly feeling

(though, I understand a gym membership just isn't practical for lots of people)

That said, I'm sure you could set up something pretty easy; some hand weights, resistance tubes with a door mount, and a yoga mat is enough for a pretty thorough workout.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

so hurtful

well

oh shit

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    To "look sharp" is now officially an old thing to say, I think

Soon it will be old enough to be charmingly quaint rather than just a sort of old-fashioned phrase.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Yeah I can see that

tryharding at something like a game of munchkin would be hilarious and also terrible

Can't try hard in a game that takes no skill.

Or luck. Or really anything but to randomly play cards until someone attempts to win and everyone wastes their cards stopping them.

Such a broken game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The fedora thing also makes me sad.

I had one.

It was only worn with a full suit. Mostly to temple. But sometimes to a family outing or something where a suit was required.

And now it is never to be worn.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I always sweep. the. leg.

you have a problem with that?!

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »

How are you?

Cinders! Hi!

I'm doing ok...life was being life so I haven't been around. How are you?

Tired, I just got done with the semester and am currently trying to sort out everything for next semester.

I'm glad you are ok, I hope things can become great for you soon.

• Options

and now they're ruined!

It is a valuable skill

A fedora (and any similar hat) means something now, and it is basically impossible to avoid that meaning when one wears it

Here's a thing though. Like, where is this particular thing about Fedoras discussed? It seems like an internet meme present in a certain group. Nerds. Would like a guy who only surfs ESPN and CNN know about "m'lady"? I think folks think real hats are just too old fashioned and thats why they don't get worn. Not cause they all know about hat tipping neckbeards.

• Options
    To "look sharp" is now officially an old thing to say, I think

Soon it will be old enough to be charmingly quaint rather than just a sort of old-fashioned phrase.

that is the needle i'm trying to thread here

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

so hurtful

well

oh shit

fits perfectly with your avatar

• Options

and now they're ruined!

It is a valuable skill

No one actually cares that you're wearing a fedora unless they spend all their time on reddit, tumblr, or 4chan.

The average person has no idea what hat to associate with the term "m'lady" or wtf a "gamergate" is.

Nerds are the only ones who really care about nerd things.

This discussion has been closed.