As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bob Saget [chat]

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    when you have a boardgame night for an unknown audience you always need to have a couple babby games on hand and a table ready for people who are just unwilling or unable to handle anything more than Candy Land in the name of "not trying too hard". That's just good planning.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    SPOILER ALERT ~*~*~*puppy has wolf dreams*~*~*~
    6w6kj9fln6tu.jpg

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I always sweep. the. leg.

you have a problem with that?!

I invented a fighting tactic I called 'the opener'

and it's me hopping into the air and crashing down my one foot through my opponent's shin

I've never lost* a fight

*nor won nor draw...ed.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The fedora thing also makes me sad.

I had one.

It was only worn with a full suit. Mostly to temple. But sometimes to a family outing or something where a suit was required.

And now it is never to be worn.

I don't feel sorry for you fuckers at all.

I have super long hair for a dude, and any hat at all makes me look like the grogest of nards

Now you live in my world

Now you know my pain

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Speaking of mass effect earlier

if I haven't played any of them, but also aren't a huge RPG guy

is it worth it to pick a 360 controller and try to get through at least the first one over christmas?

it is pretty old at this point

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think really there's something that has become inherently douchey about men wearing nonfunctional hats.

Like it's an appeal to an older sense of fashion but it doesn't quite jive; it smacks of affectation and vanity more than other items.

You don't get this from toques or ballcaps (though ballcaps are for children or literal ball-players) or like, some old guy wearing a Tilly to go fishing

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    wear fedora: sorry if you don't like what it means, get judged, them's the breaks, suck it up.

wear microskirt and strappy red 6in heels: how dare you judge, you can't assume something just by how a person dresses, that's appalling

hmm

spool32 on
  • Options
    Sparvy wrote: »

is it worth it to pick a 360 controller and try to get through at least the first one over christmas?

get it on the PC and use kbam.

The PC version looks better, has better controls (the Mako isn't a problem anymore) and has no load time problems like the console versions

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The fedora thing also makes me sad.

I had one.

It was only worn with a full suit. Mostly to temple. But sometimes to a family outing or something where a suit was required.

And now it is never to be worn.

I don't feel sorry for you fuckers at all.

I have super long hair for a dude, and any hat at all makes me look like the grogest of nards

Now you live in my world

Now you know my pain

Get a hair cut hippy.

:bzz:

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I wonder how effective we would be today at domesticating wild animals, if there were some real efforts put into the field.

Probably those damn animal SJWs with their 'ethics', and 'preservation' stopping us. :P

Probably amazing! Look at the Russian fox study. Took a very short time to domesticate wild foxes through selective breeding

yeah it's not difficult it just takes time. You need several generations which for most animals people would want as pets means a couple decades at least.

centuries really, for proper domestication

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

I invented a fighting tactic I called 'the opener'

and it's me hopping into the air and crashing down my one foot through my opponent's shin

I've never lost* a fight

*nor won nor draw...ed.

I actually had that when I boxed.

I had a good cross but it all had a huge tell I could break myself of so I would throw it first thing and do other stuff while they waited for the next one.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Good thing in LoL, all your sweeps add up to is a cleaner floor. Cause you sure as hell ain't dropping anyone with your weak ass shit.

/misses Ludious :(

• Options
    NECO!

yaaaay

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    We are def trivia tryhards will

Arguing for correct answers. Deliberating optimal points values. Sometimes straight up cheating by shazaming the song playing

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular

get it on the PC and use kbam.

The PC version looks better, has better controls (the Mako isn't a problem anymore) and has no load time problems like the console versions

Oh it would deffo be on pc, I haven't really ever owned a console

Just that my PC is hooked up to my TV so I figured maybe this whole 'couch gaming' might be a thing to try out

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Winky wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i am a little frosty at nerds and social justice people for ruining fedoras

frankie bought me one like a decade ago and i wore it out to fancy things sometimes and thought it was smart!

and now they're ruined!

You could always not give a fuck what some asshole thinks and wear what you want?

Fashion is pretty much being good at caring what other people think, or if you're very good, controlling it

It is a valuable skill

Sometimes I think folks care to much.

I know I care to little. And this is a problem for me. I admit that. But the "X people wear Y and I don't like them so I wont wear Y" always seems shitty to me.

It is shitty, but them's the breaks

A fedora (and any similar hat) means something now, and it is basically impossible to avoid that meaning when one wears it

Unless you are LITERALLY performing a period piece

This is the trivial tyranny of fashion

No one actually cares that you're wearing a fedora unless they spend all their time on reddit, tumblr, or 4chan.

The average person has no idea what hat to associate with the term "m'lady" or wtf a "gamergate" is.

Nerds are the only ones who really care about nerd things.

i'm pretty sure that they're really broadly scorned around where i am these days

if you're rocking a fedora, then townies will think you're a despised hipster

and hipsters will think you're a despised sexist-nerd

it's turtles all the way down

i have had my hat made fun of three times

one time a townie girl yelled from a car and called me a "fuckin pilgrim"

one time a big guido in newport RI called out "hey dick tracy" and then the entire rest of the town made fun of me as i walked home

and one time recently i was walking home with dk and jake and someone yelled out of the car something unintelligible

it could have been because dk is gay but i prefer to think they were persecuting me for my hat

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Neco! I haven't seen you in forever.

How are you?

Cinders! Hi!

I'm doing ok...life was being life so I haven't been around. How are you?

Tired, I just got done with the semester and am currently trying to sort out everything for next semester.

I'm glad you are ok, I hope things can become great for you soon.

Oh thank you! I think I am through the craziest bits of life for a while. I'm feeling calm and peaceful this last week, and ready to continue life.

• Options

Good thing in LoL, all your sweeps add up to is a cleaner floor. Cause you sure as hell ain't dropping anyone with your weak ass shit.

/misses Ludious :(

I will bomb you back into the S4 map.

• Options

frankie bought me one like a decade ago and i wore it out to fancy things sometimes and thought it was smart!

and now they're ruined!

You could always not give a fuck what some asshole thinks and wear what you want?

Fashion is pretty much being good at caring what other people think, or if you're very good, controlling it

It is a valuable skill

I know I care to little. And this is a problem for me. I admit that. But the "X people wear Y and I don't like them so I wont wear Y" always seems shitty to me.

A fedora (and any similar hat) means something now, and it is basically impossible to avoid that meaning when one wears it

Here's a thing though. Like, where is this particular thing about Fedoras discussed? It seems like an internet meme present in a certain group. Nerds. Would like a guy who only surfs ESPN and CNN know about "m'lady"? I think folks think real hats are just too old fashioned and thats why they don't get worn. Not cause they all know about hat tipping neckbeards.

There is absolutely a mainstream association of old fashioned hats with backwards geek fashion

I hear it from a lot of people who couldn't tell you what a Mario is

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Arguing for correct answers. Deliberating optimal points values. Sometimes straight up cheating by shazaming the song playing

how is that "tryhard"

thats just normal playing

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    wear fedora: sorry if you don't like what it means, get judged, them's the breaks, suck it up.

wear microskirt and strappy red 6in heels: how dare you judge, you can't assume something just by how a person dresses, that's appalling

hmm

I feel like this is not equivalent since the second is often used to justify like, rape

Fedoras, not to my knowledge

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

hmm

This is terribly disingenuous

You can certainly communicate things with women's clothing.

The dominant dialogue that you're referring to is that you can't infer that a woman wants to have sex with you based on how she's dressed.

There is a huge difference between the argument that outfits don't imply consent and the argument that clothing communicates subcultural allegiance or personal tastes.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

how is that "tryhard"

thats just normal playing

Because I try REALLY HARD

agonize over the sequence of decisions that led to that incorrect answer

If only I had invited my friend from 3rd grade tonight... He would've known that answer..

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

and now they're ruined!

It is a valuable skill

No one actually cares that you're wearing a fedora unless they spend all their time on reddit, tumblr, or 4chan.

The average person has no idea what hat to associate with the term "m'lady" or wtf a "gamergate" is.

i'm pretty sure that they're really broadly scorned around where i am these days

one time a big guido in newport RI called out "hey dick tracy" and then the entire rest of the town made fun of me as i walked home

and one time recently i was walking home with dk and jake and someone yelled out of the car something unintelligible

it could have been because dk is gay but i prefer to think they were persecuting me for my hat

Well, yeah

But those people are making fun of you because fedoras are weird things to wear, I don't think it's really a nerd thing

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2014

hmm

I feel like this is not equivalent since the second is often used to justify like, rape

Fedoras, not to my knowledge

you don't know the terror of being a hatbro in the wrong part of town

with that saucy little trilby he was just asking for it

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

in what sense are you "not a huge RPG guy"?

mass effect is an rpg in what I consider the correct sense - it's a game where you take on the role of a character and make important, story-altering decisions from that character's point of view. like what you do in a tabletop game.

it does not have a whole lot of the traditional gameplay trappings of what video game "rpgs" often do. the action is real-time and involves you actually aiming the reticle and shooting dudes. there are experience points and level-ups and some inventory management but those things are kind of deemphasized and get more so in the sequels.

it's only from 2007, though. that's not like, a quantum leap backward. the visuals are a little rougher and the controls are kind of shonky but it is absolutely not only worth playing but, I would say, basically required for anyone who's seriously interested in games or in storytelling through the game medium

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

and now they're ruined!

It is a valuable skill

I like the idea that the whole of Newport came out onto the streets to point and laugh at Will. His hands in his pockets, dejectedly refusing to take the hat off. A single solitary tear falling down his cheek.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    I pretty much wear whatever I want and don't worry about it because I always look good.

• Options
    WIll I will wear the non-fedora hat style of your choice to fancy dinner if you will also wear this hat.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

hmm

oh man you've exposed the secret plot

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

mass effect is an rpg in what I consider the correct sense - it's a game where you take on the role of a character and make important, story-altering decisions from that character's point of view. like what you do in a tabletop game.

it does not have a whole lot of the traditional gameplay trappings of what video game "rpgs" often do. the action is real-time and involves you actually aiming the reticle and shooting dudes. there are experience points and level-ups and some inventory management but those things are kind of deemphasized and get more so in the sequels.

it's only from 2007, though. that's not like, a quantum leap backward. the visuals are a little rougher and the controls are kind of shonky but it is absolutely not only worth playing but, I would say, basically required for anyone who's seriously interested in games or in storytelling through the game medium

One Note:

SKIP THE SIDEQUESTS

IGNORE ANY COMPLETIONIST TENDENCIES YOU MAY HAVE

It will result in you having a noticeably worse experience.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Skipping the gym to help mediate a dispute between a friend and her roommates. Exactly how I'd like to spend my evening.

Why can't everyone be moneyed and congenial

• Options
    @casual how was your sightseeing tour of Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtG3ijAct8

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I love the ME franchise so much. But even I have trouble slogging through the first one now. After playing that tightened up experience of 2 and 3. It's quite jarring.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I would add that, after a great start, there is a long and rather dull part at the start of the game when you are on the Citadel. Just power through it cause it does get better a gain afterwards.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

and now they're ruined!

It is a valuable skill

Here's a thing though. Like, where is this particular thing about Fedoras discussed? It seems like an internet meme present in a certain group. Nerds. Would like a guy who only surfs ESPN and CNN know about "m'lady"? I think folks think real hats are just too old fashioned and thats why they don't get worn. Not cause they all know about hat tipping neckbeards.

There is absolutely a mainstream association of old fashioned hats with backwards geek fashion

I hear it from a lot of people who couldn't tell you what a Mario is

Makes sense, wearing a hat might as well be as ancient as wearing chain mail so they're pretty much the same thing

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

hmm

Did anyone in chat say either of these

Come onnnn

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

CASUAL ISN'T A SHIBA

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

IS NOT CORGI

IS SHIBE

• Options

and now they're ruined!

It is a valuable skill

I like the idea that the whole of Newport came out onto the streets to point and laugh at Will. His hands in his pockets, dejectedly refusing to take the hat off. A single solitary tear falling down his cheek.

i kept my head up and weathered their vicious scorn with dignity

i was like little ruby bridges walking to school

Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.