As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bob Saget [chat]

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    one time a big guido in newport RI called out "hey dick tracy" and then the entire rest of the town made fun of me as i walked home

to be fair it is pretty impressive that a big guido would even know who dick tracy is

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Skipping the gym to help mediate a dispute between a friend and her roommates. Exactly how I'd like to spend my evening.

Why can't everyone be moneyed and congenial

Sounds awesome -- all ladies settle disputes with their roommates with semi-erotic pillow fights right?

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    So, is Dude Looks Like a Lady by Aerosmith super transphobic?

Because it reminds me of my childhood (because for some reason I saw the music video a bunch) and I kinda like it...

But it's kinda edgy there.

And I don't want to be blasting no transphobic shit...

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Like, if there was a Mass Effect Keep type thing. Holy shit I would play through ME2 and 3 again right now.

But no, and fuck me if I'm gonna take the default world state. Cause its all the worst things.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    WIll I will wear the non-fedora hat style of your choice to fancy dinner if you will also wear this hat.

i have worn it i think every year

sure i'll do it again!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    TehSloth wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    i am a little frosty at nerds and social justice people for ruining fedoras

frankie bought me one like a decade ago and i wore it out to fancy things sometimes and thought it was smart!

and now they're ruined!

You could always not give a fuck what some asshole thinks and wear what you want?

Fashion is pretty much being good at caring what other people think, or if you're very good, controlling it

It is a valuable skill

Sometimes I think folks care to much.

I know I care to little. And this is a problem for me. I admit that. But the "X people wear Y and I don't like them so I wont wear Y" always seems shitty to me.

It is shitty, but them's the breaks

A fedora (and any similar hat) means something now, and it is basically impossible to avoid that meaning when one wears it

Unless you are LITERALLY performing a period piece

This is the trivial tyranny of fashion

Here's a thing though. Like, where is this particular thing about Fedoras discussed? It seems like an internet meme present in a certain group. Nerds. Would like a guy who only surfs ESPN and CNN know about "m'lady"? I think folks think real hats are just too old fashioned and thats why they don't get worn. Not cause they all know about hat tipping neckbeards.

There is absolutely a mainstream association of old fashioned hats with backwards geek fashion

I hear it from a lot of people who couldn't tell you what a Mario is

Makes sense, wearing a hat might as well be as ancient as wearing chain mail so they're pretty much the same thing

my dermatologist told me i should wear a hat whenever i'm outside because i have psoriasis and apparently sunlight has a higher chance of causing cancer?

that or she just thinks that sunlight is terrible for everyone all the time. she is super pale i can see all her veins.

either way i have a doctor's note

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    man I find ME1 so much more replayable than ME2

beat ME1 three times on successively harder difficulty. And did all the sidequests and 100%ed everything each time.

With ME2 it very quickly becomes apparent how much of the god damned never ending dialog trees aren't really trees but just trunks. No matter what you choose it almost always dumps you right into the same place. And fucking hell the Mako was so much better than scanning planets. Especially once I got to the end of ME2 and found out the bazillions of minerals I had hoarded (scanned the fuck out of every single planet) were pointless after getting all the upgrades. Not even cheevos for em.

There's a few really good bits to ME2 (the shooter content from Lair of the Shadow Broker) but overall I don't think it's nearly as good as 1.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Like, if there was a Mass Effect Keep type thing. Holy shit I would play through ME2 and 3 again right now.

But no, and fuck me if I'm gonna take the default world state. Cause its all the worst things.

I think there's a save game creator that lets you make all the choices -- it's unofficial though

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Will maybe if your hat experiences didn't sound so funny I would be more concerned

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    one time a big guido in newport RI called out "hey dick tracy" and then the entire rest of the town made fun of me as i walked home

to be fair it is pretty impressive that a big guido would even know who dick tracy is

it actually kind of cracked me up because it was clever

but also it didn't feel great to be made fun of by a giant group of guidos

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Will maybe if your hat experiences didn't sound so funny I would be more concerned

hat priviledge

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I wish I had more access to hats for summer that didn't look ridiculous. My head gets burned and I get heat exhaustion.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    When Shimi-dog can't stick her head on the window she sleeps on my shoulder.

shimi_zps1514bffb.jpg

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Because it reminds me of my childhood (because for some reason I saw the music video a bunch) and I kinda like it...

probably

it's not really that good of a song though....sorry .....

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I should wear a hat now that I'm a bald for the same reason will

I haven't been able to go for anything other than a dull gray baseball cap thus far

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Thing I found saved as a draft in this chat, totally getting posted.

Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Will has a doctor prescribed fedora

• Options

There is nothing free, but you can get the Genesis DLC for ME2 that does essentially everything important from the first one except punching the reporter.

They of course have Genesis 2 for ME3 if you are so inclined.

But yeah, nothing free.

Since my computer died I've gone through ME2 twice and am now playing through ME3...

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

isn't it about long-haired butt rock singers? i mean aerosmith were also long-haired butt-rockers so it must have been sort of ironic and self-aware. i guess like "money for nothing" etc.

anyways i would guess that it probably wasn't really directed at transgender people but it might be kind of insensitive and has probably been used in some nasty contexts.

in any case you shouldn't be listening to aerosmith anyways in the name of basic human decency.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Meh, reading over it. Not particularly? I mean. It's kinda got that "Trap" vibe going for it. But it doesn't seem to be against the idea of some different lovin'. It's weird that way.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I don't think they say "and I don't think dudes should ever look like ladies or that people we formerly thought were dudes should ever turn out to be ladies"

but I only know the words to the song that are in the title

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Speaking of mass effect earlier

if I haven't played any of them, but also aren't a huge RPG guy

is it worth it to pick a 360 controller and try to get through at least the first one over christmas?

it is pretty old at this point

in what sense are you "not a huge RPG guy"?

mass effect is an rpg in what I consider the correct sense - it's a game where you take on the role of a character and make important, story-altering decisions from that character's point of view. like what you do in a tabletop game.

it does not have a whole lot of the traditional gameplay trappings of what video game "rpgs" often do. the action is real-time and involves you actually aiming the reticle and shooting dudes. there are experience points and level-ups and some inventory management but those things are kind of deemphasized and get more so in the sequels.

it's only from 2007, though. that's not like, a quantum leap backward. the visuals are a little rougher and the controls are kind of shonky but it is absolutely not only worth playing but, I would say, basically required for anyone who's seriously interested in games or in storytelling through the game medium

One Note:

SKIP THE SIDEQUESTS

IGNORE ANY COMPLETIONIST TENDENCIES YOU MAY HAVE

It will result in you having a noticeably worse experience.

Thanks, this is good info. From both of you.

By "not a huge RPG guy" I guess I just kinda mean I haven't really played all that many. And I guess customizing through level and skill points systems isn't inherently interesting to me. Sometime they are though but it isn't what I'm looking for first.

Also RPGs are often so long that I tend to burn out, I only very rarely find the action of singleplayer games interesting in the long run so if the story isn't chugging along at a quick enough pace I often just end up forgetting to continue after a while.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    How many of you thought I
    wear fedora: sorry if you don't like what it means, get judged, them's the breaks, suck it up.

wear microskirt and strappy red 6in heels: how dare you judge, you can't assume something just by how a person dresses, that's appalling

hmm

Did anyone in chat say either of these

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

The second one? Not recently.

What I find interesting is that, despite everything I've said over the years about my stance on women's rights and everything my wife and daughter have said about that, people are assuming my problem is with the second sentence instead of with the first one.

And taking me to task for it.

That's pretty fucking lame.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    hey now Irond Will, Pink is a good song. Especially considering the mummy of Ramesses II is in better shape than Stephen Tyler

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

isn't it about long-haired butt rock singers? i mean aerosmith were also long-haired butt-rockers so it must have been sort of ironic and self-aware. i guess like "money for nothing" etc.

anyways i would guess that it probably wasn't really directed at transgender people but it might be kind of insensitive and has probably been used in some nasty contexts.

in any case you shouldn't be listening to aerosmith anyways in the name of basic human decency.

Look, I was a little kid

It was the 80s

I was super high on cocaine, and it just takes me back to that time...

I'm so ashamed of my love to 80s rock...so ashamed...

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

it actually kind of cracked me up because it was clever

but also it didn't feel great to be made fun of by a giant group of guidos

poor will

i kinda want to give you a hug

you sound so sad

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    ITT: I learned that reconciling my post-eric garner feelings with my political beliefs is hard.

The answer for you is:

"Burn it all down."

It is the only way.

Well, yes.

That's kind of how I feel.

Don't worry it is the right way to feel in many ways.

But take that anger and make it productive. You can't really burn the system down but you can try to reform it bits and pieces.

Mostly via being proactive.

This is going to get hella personal so I'm gonna put it in spoilers:
    Well, while I've never been conservative, I've always had deep problems with some of the core tenants of what I guess you can call american liberalism

Mostly I was just shocked at how angry people got when trying to change other's views. MLK wasn't (outwardly) angry. Nelson Mandela wasn't angry. I always thought the best way to change the system was to change people's hearts and minds, and the best way to do that was to be a role model, to open frank dialogue. To try and change things iteratively, knowing that eventually things basically got better

but after the Eric Garner ruling and Ferguson, I felt like things aren't getting better. I felt, maybe for the first time, an undirected and undirectable anger at a system. And I'm tired of frank dialogue, I'm tired of the same old ignorant bullshit spouted by trite, unconvincing arguments. I'm tired of being tolerant.

Greeper, one of the things that tends to throw people is the idea that because MLK was non-violent, he was non-confrontational. Which is extremely inaccurate. One of the guiding goals of MLK was to create confrontation. To create tension. Ideally the kind of tension that creates dialogue.
    You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling for negotiation. Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth. Just as Socrates felt that it was necessary to create a tension in the mind so that individuals could rise from the bondage of myths and half truths to the unfettered realm of creative analysis and objective appraisal, so must we see the need for nonviolent gadflies to create the kind of tension in society that will help men rise from the dark depths of prejudice and racism to the majestic heights of understanding and brotherhood. The purpose of our direct action program is to create a situation so crisis packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation. I therefore concur with you in your call for negotiation. Too long has our beloved Southland been bogged down in a tragic effort to live in monologue rather than dialogue.

And when people compare him to Malcolm X, he was more calm. But that's not quite the same thing as not angry. He simply channeled his anger in a different way.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I will say there's one time I've seen a guy rocking a fedora and not looking totally awkward, and it was a dude with a straw fedora with a white ribbon, light pants, bright tie and a white blazer. His outfit just exuded the concept "gambler" in a way that made me think he must've just sauntered off the Las Vegas strip. You're always going to look awkward looking like you're dressed for the 1940s, but for some reason the gambler look just felt timeless, perhaps because it's sort of deliberately sleazy; it's a look that is not asking you to take it seriously.

• Options
    I mean, I know my love of all this 80s rock is shameful and I make sure to whip myself every night for it.

I'm not like Rugged, who just doesn't know any better.

Bless his heart.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    wear fedora: sorry if you don't like what it means, get judged, them's the breaks, suck it up.

wear microskirt and strappy red 6in heels: how dare you judge, you can't assume something just by how a person dresses, that's appalling

hmm

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

What I find interesting is that, despite everything I've said over the years about my stance on women's rights and everything my wife and daughter have said about that, people are assuming my problem is with the second sentence instead of with the first one.

No, you absolutely have a problem with the first part

The point being made is that the two are very different, and the comparison is faulty

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

@cptrugged‌ there is not a mass effect keep (yet! I bet you real money that is going to change before the year of our lord 2015 is out!) but if you don't mind rebuying ME2 and 3 for PC, google "mass effect savegames" or "save states"; there are a ton of sites that host ME1 saves and have them meticulously broken down by every single possible decision. not just the big stuff like the Rachni, but things like "found the matriarch writings" and "let rana thanoptis go on virmire." just download the savegame, import into ME2, change the face to be how you want, and you're off to the races. you might be able to use a hex editor to change the first name if that's important to you as well.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

hmm

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

are you kidding me

• Options
    I should wear a hat now that I'm a bald for the same reason will

I haven't been able to go for anything other than a dull gray baseball cap thus far

you could almost certainly pull it off

i'm sure it would look fine on you and also gay dudes get a lot more latitude for being fashionably adventurous

and also not suspected of misogyny quite the same way as a straight

tho to be honest a lot of gay dudes have nastily dismissive sorts of attitudes towards women that doesn't usually register as "misogyny" but probably should

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Look, I was a little kid

It was the 80s

I was super high on cocaine, and it just takes me back to that time...

I'm so ashamed of my love to 80s rock...so ashamed...

Don't listen to these bitches Loser. that is an awesome song. Aerosmith has a lot of goddamn awesome songs. Fuckin' Back in the Saddle Again is my jam.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    the whole story reminds me of last week when i fell asleep with paint in my hair and woke up just full on guido

every strand of hair was vertical

i saw myself in the mirror and laughed hysterically

worlds least orange guido right here

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    You can grab gibbed's save editor to play 3 with a new world state. Like the Keep, but not officially supported, and not as pretty.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure I made fun of will to his face at dinner for his hat one time

• Options

@cptrugged‌ there is not a mass effect keep (yet! I bet you real money that is going to change before the year of our lord 2015 is out!) but if you don't mind rebuying ME2 and 3 for PC, google "mass effect savegames" or "save states"; there are a ton of sites that host ME1 saves and have them meticulously broken down by every single possible decision. not just the big stuff like the Rachni, but things like "found the matriarch writings" and "let rana thanoptis go on virmire." just download the savegame, import into ME2, change the face to be how you want, and you're off to the races. you might be able to use a hex editor to change the first name if that's important to you as well.

Hmmmmmm.....

I'm not a fan of re-buying things as I console'd these. But I will keep this in mind for the future if the urge strikes me. Thanks!

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    i have a picture of cas eddy in a fedora.
    he's so wrecked happy

• Options

hmm

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

0 people think you have a problem with the second one -- they have a problem with you equating the two since getting judged and sexual assault aren't really equal.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
This discussion has been closed.