As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bob Saget [chat]

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I should wear a hat now that I'm a bald for the same reason will

I haven't been able to go for anything other than a dull gray baseball cap thus far

you could almost certainly pull it off

i'm sure it would look fine on you and also gay dudes get a lot more latitude for being fashionably adventurous

and also not suspected of misogyny quite the same way as a straight

tho to be honest a lot of gay dudes have nastily dismissive sorts of attitudes towards women that doesn't usually register as "misogyny" but probably should

yeah, it's still misogyny, just a completely different kind

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    I am pretty sure I made fun of will to his face at dinner for his hat one time

you are in good company

Wqdwp8l.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I'm no expert on these things but Aerosmith (and Stephen Tyler in particular) has always seemed a lot more Queen than Metallica

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The thing that irks me the most about the race riots currently brewing is that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are absolutely worthless glory hogs that have been using the misery of others for their personal profit. Yet somehow the media deemed them as the kings of the black people. It's so frustrating. Like these out of touch goofs are being looked at as representatives of such a large swatch of people. It be dumb.

steam_sig.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

you are in good company

I demand to be included in your list of hurtful recollections

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    you fuckin pilgrim

oh also all the DLC which actually has content (as opposed to just freemium bullshit) for ME2 still adds up to $40 which irks me

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    tho to be honest a lot of gay dudes have nastily dismissive sorts of attitudes towards women that doesn't usually register as "misogyny" but probably should

paul lynde got big laughs on hollywood squares in the 70s with his answer to this question.

Q: When a sailor falls off a boat into the ocean, nautical tradition dictates that anyone witnessing the event call out "man overboard!" What does one say when a woman falls off a boat?
    A: Full speed ahead!

rRwz9.gif
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    [quote="Elki;31433052"

Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.[/quote]
    spool32 wrote: »
    How many of you thought I
    wear fedora: sorry if you don't like what it means, get judged, them's the breaks, suck it up.

wear microskirt and strappy red 6in heels: how dare you judge, you can't assume something just by how a person dresses, that's appalling

hmm

Did anyone in chat say either of these

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

The second one? Not recently.

What I find interesting is that, despite everything I've said over the years about my stance on women's rights and everything my wife and daughter have said about that, people are assuming my problem is with the second sentence instead of with the first one.

And taking me to task for it.

That's pretty fucking lame.

I think it's pretty obvious why people think that when you say that? You are totally setting yourself up by presenting them as two equivalent statements or at least parallel statements.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Like, if there was a Mass Effect Keep type thing. Holy shit I would play through ME2 and 3 again right now.

But no, and fuck me if I'm gonna take the default world state. Cause its all the worst things.

@cptrugged‌ there is not a mass effect keep (yet! I bet you real money that is going to change before the year of our lord 2015 is out!) but if you don't mind rebuying ME2 and 3 for PC, google "mass effect savegames" or "save states"; there are a ton of sites that host ME1 saves and have them meticulously broken down by every single possible decision. not just the big stuff like the Rachni, but things like "found the matriarch writings" and "let rana thanoptis go on virmire." just download the savegame, import into ME2, change the face to be how you want, and you're off to the races. you might be able to use a hex editor to change the first name if that's important to you as well.

Hmmmmmm.....

I'm not a fan of re-buying things as I console'd these. But I will keep this in mind for the future if the urge strikes me. Thanks!

You can rebuy at least ME3 for like 6 bucks.

At least you could yesterday.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Katherine <3

fuck gendered marketing

I haven't been able to go for anything other than a dull gray baseball cap thus far

i'm sure it would look fine on you and also gay dudes get a lot more latitude for being fashionably adventurous

yes it's a very unfortunate and baffling problem amongst some gays. I guess that we're 'allowed' to be mean to women or something.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    wear fedora: sorry if you don't like what it means, get judged, them's the breaks, suck it up.

wear microskirt and strappy red 6in heels: how dare you judge, you can't assume something just by how a person dresses, that's appalling

hmm

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

What I find interesting is that, despite everything I've said over the years about my stance on women's rights and everything my wife and daughter have said about that, people are assuming my problem is with the second sentence instead of with the first one.

No, you absolutely have a problem with the first part

The point being made is that the two are very different, and the comparison is faulty

hmm

maybe

I feel like judging someone for dressing like a hooker isn't any different from judging someone for dressing like Mr. Milady.
    But I suppose my opinions on this are a lot more complex because at the same time I think people ought not be identified as terrible (or slutty or prudish or nerdy or sleazy) because of their dress, I also think that appropriate dress for occasion is a thing that has social value and ought to be retained. Inherent in that is judging someone for failing to hit the mark, or for disregarding convention.

hmm.

I would not think a lady is a slut because she's dressed provocatively, but I would think that a lady was an idiot for wearing a pencil skirt and heels to a 4th of July BBQ and bonfire held in the back pasture of the neighbor's farm.

I will certainly aquaman-face people lacking fanciness at the fancy dinner! But I wouldn't think every fedora at pax was a badge of shame.

Like, if there was a Mass Effect Keep type thing. Holy shit I would play through ME2 and 3 again right now.

But no, and fuck me if I'm gonna take the default world state. Cause its all the worst things.

@cptrugged‌ there is not a mass effect keep (yet! I bet you real money that is going to change before the year of our lord 2015 is out!) but if you don't mind rebuying ME2 and 3 for PC, google "mass effect savegames" or "save states"; there are a ton of sites that host ME1 saves and have them meticulously broken down by every single possible decision. not just the big stuff like the Rachni, but things like "found the matriarch writings" and "let rana thanoptis go on virmire." just download the savegame, import into ME2, change the face to be how you want, and you're off to the races. you might be able to use a hex editor to change the first name if that's important to you as well.

Hmmmmmm.....

I'm not a fan of re-buying things as I console'd these. But I will keep this in mind for the future if the urge strikes me. Thanks!

You can rebuy at least ME3 for like 6 bucks.

At least you could yesterday.

ME2 and 3 are pretty much "free to play" games. You can get the base game for next to nothing if you look around. But that sweet sweet DLC adds up fast.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't think they say "and I don't think dudes should ever look like ladies or that people we formerly thought were dudes should ever turn out to be ladies"

but I only know the words to the song that are in the title

I thought this was the chorus

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Casual wrote: »
    the whole story reminds me of last week when i fell asleep with paint in my hair and woke up just full on guido

every strand of hair was vertical

i saw myself in the mirror and laughed hysterically

worlds least orange guido right here

one time i saw the orangest guido dude at a brunch place whose hair was so spiked up it looked like one of those onion-head hats

he was wearing a muscle tee and his jeans were a little baggy and acidwashed and just shredded. like, there were a few strings in front holding them together but it just looked like someone had set a bomb off inside each leg.

he looked like he had just super-sayaned

Wqdwp8l.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    wait; what do they say when a woman falls overboard..??

919UOwT.png

you are in good company

in my catalog for hurtful recollections, "skippydumptruck" has its own separate index

Wqdwp8l.png
    I don't think they say "and I don't think dudes should ever look like ladies or that people we formerly thought were dudes should ever turn out to be ladies"

catchy!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Also there are persistent rumors of an ME trilogy HD rerelease/remake for the Bone/PS4 console generation so it's possible that ME1 might be getting a welcome facelift and some gameplay overhauled.

If they basically brought the first two games' shooting up to the standard of the third and maybe (cough) rewrote a few key sequences in ME3 I would gladly pay the tall dollar

rRwz9.gif
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

you are in good company

in my catalog for hurtful recollections, "skippydumptruck" has its own separate index

nicest guy in chat

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    it's basically a trap song

so probably not a favorite of transgendered peeps

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

hmm

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

The point being made is that the two are very different, and the comparison is faulty

hmm

maybe

I feel like judging someone for dressing like a hooker isn't any different from judging someone for dressing like Mr. Milady.
    But I suppose my opinions on this are a lot more complex because at the same time I think people ought not be identified as terrible (or slutty or prudish or nerdy or sleazy) because of their dress, I also think that appropriate dress for occasion is a thing that has social value and ought to be retained. Inherent in that is judging someone for failing to hit the mark, or for disregarding convention.

hmm.

I would not think a lady is a slut because she's dressed provocatively, but I would think that a lady was an idiot for wearing a pencil skirt and heels to a 4th of July BBQ and bonfire held in the back pasture of the neighbor's farm.

I will certainly aquaman-face people lacking fanciness at the fancy dinner! But I wouldn't think every fedora at pax was a badge of shame.

The problem isn't people silently judging a woman for dressing "sluttily".

The problem is people assaulting women for dressing "sluttily".

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

hmm

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

hmm

maybe

hmm.

The problem isn't people silently judging a woman for dressing "sluttily".

The problem is people assaulting women for dressing "sluttily".

No I think the first one is a problem too, at least in some contexts.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Also there are persistent rumors of an ME trilogy HD rerelease/remake for the Bone/PS4 console generation so it's possible that ME1 might be getting a welcome facelift and some gameplay overhauled.

If they basically brought the first two games' shooting up to the standard of the third and maybe (cough) rewrote a few key sequences in ME3 I would gladly pay the tall dollar

Yeah this makes me wonder if ME4 will spill into 2015 and HD will release in the late summer/early fall

So It Goes wrote: »
    it's basically a trap song

so probably not a favorite of transgendered peeps

I play my trap card

fuck gendered marketing
    The thing that irks me the most about the race riots currently brewing is that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are absolutely worthless glory hogs that have been using the misery of others for their personal profit. Yet somehow the media deemed them as the kings of the black people. It's so frustrating. Like these out of touch goofs are being looked at as representatives of such a large swatch of people. It be dumb.

when i lived in DC, my black neighbors had really ambivalent feelings about jackson and sharpton

they liked that they were able to throw their weight around and get white people to pay attention, like they were important

but every story about them painted them as being stuck up assholes who didn't really care about black people but just used them as a way to glorify themselves

like, you know, jesse jackson wouldn't even deign to talk to a waiter when ordering - his assistant did that - but then he'd go outside and hug an orphan in front of cameras

honestly i think black folks and white folks have pretty similar opinions about jesse jackson

Wqdwp8l.png

hmm

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

hmm

maybe

hmm.

I think it's a lot different given that there isn't a push and pull of judging women on their appearance while simultaneously judging them for their appearance when they try and dress in a sexy manner that applies to men in the same way.

"dressing like a hooker" is also about as extreme as a fedora hat WITH greasy unkempt hair AND a heinous anti-lady shirt.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

It also has to do with how I in particular think of people who are trans.

I never thought of them as ladies who were dudes (if they are a trans lady). I just think they are ladies. Sometimes, I think that I overlook the trans part of trans lady though, failing to recognize the inherent differences among ladies.

But I figured I'm probably halfway to where I should be, and I've got down the most important part..I think.

So when I think dude that looks like a lady, it can't possibly be someone who is trans. Because those are ladies that...look like ladies. They aren't dudes, except in the non gendered sense of dudes, in which case, all the ones I know are dudes of the coolest order.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    cleaning lady just came in to take the trash.
    i think...i think she farted in my office.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/andrew-luck-the-nfls-most-perplexing-trash-talker-1418663249
    When New England pass rusher Rob Ninkovich pulverized Luck last month in a Patriots’ 42-20 win, he got the customary congratulations. As Ninkovich tells it, he found himself paralyzed with confusion by the well-wishes, so he blurted out “Thanks for...uh...accepting that hit?” before running back to the huddle.

919UOwT.png
    my kitten is the bestest ever and everyone needs to know <3

fuck gendered marketing

you are in good company

oh god

skippy has pointed out every one of my biggest insecurities in person

how can someone who looks so nice be so cruel

It also has to do with how I in particular think of people who are trans.

I never thought of them as ladies who were dudes (if they are a trans lady). I just think they are ladies. Sometimes, I think that I overlook the trans part of trans lady though, failing to recognize the inherent differences among ladies.

But I figured I'm probably halfway to where I should be, and I've got down the most important part..I think.

So when I think dude that looks like a lady, it can't possibly be someone who is trans. Because those are ladies that...look like ladies. They aren't dudes, except in the non gendered sense of dudes, in which case, all the ones I know are dudes of the coolest order.

sometimes dudes just look like ladies

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    my kitten is the bestest ever and everyone needs to know <3

pics or it didn't happen!

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

I was saying the other day that, especially in light of DA:I, I would pay a lot of money for DA:O to be redone with DA:I's engine

If they do this with ME I want them to do it with DA!

LOOK AT THOSE ACRONYMS

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I feel like this is relevent to your interests @Elldren‌
    MAGES., 5pb. and Science Adventure Team’s critically acclaimed STEINS;GATE will be coming to PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita systems in 2015, for both Europe and North America.

bloodyroarxx on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I always assumed dude looks like a lady was about how glam rockers wear girl jeans and have long hair and makeup and stuff

I don't know a single lyric from it

I guess I just assumed all these years that was the topic

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    but seriously i bought two copies of DA:I on release, so the wife and I could play

I am very easily enticed by Bioware

I've bought Origins twice, but only because I sold it back and then later was like "wait no I want it"

yes it's a very unfortunate and baffling problem amongst some gays. I guess that we're 'allowed' to be mean to women or something.

i mean at the end of the day, sexual attraction tends to drive social interest, even just subconsciously. from that particular angle, women don't have much to offer gay guys. it's easy i think to just think "why are these people i am not interested in showing up and making things about them?!"

there is also the whole "hag" phenomenon where self-loathing ladies seek out gay guys for company and end up being kind of pitied and tolerated and that probably drives attitudes too.

and also spurned aggressive sexual interest seems to be a big component of straight dude misogyny.

Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.