As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New ads?

BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning.only bugs remainRegistered User regular
I've been seeing some banner ads at the top of the forums since last night, and I was a bit surprised
, since I'd never seen them here before. They're pretty inconsistent. Sometimes they load, other times there's only a blank space
Is this a new thing (which would be cool) or is some weird bit of adware causing my computer to give me ads where they're not supposed to be ( this would not be cool)?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    yeah I'm getting this too

"sell my knowledge" indeed

anyone that knows me knows I have no knowledge worth selling.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Also getting them. Sometimes it's just an empty bar area (like an indentation) where they would otherwise be, though.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    if you use Chrome, this could be a case of one of your extensions "going rogue": http://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/warning-your-browser-extensions-are-spying-on-you/12394

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I've seen them, using Firefox.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I could use browser information from people who are seeing these. As far as I know we have no new ads, but stranger things have happened.

• Options
    MargaretMargaret Registered User regular
    Looks like this on Android, Chrome 39. Not enjoying the flashing "NEW" text in the ad.

cyc5syv6qi8l.jpg

XBL: MagWheels
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I'm getting them on chrome and safari.

• Options
    Chrome here, exactly as Margaret shows

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Firefox, ditto.

• Options
    Yeah, it's not us. Something hinky is going on.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've seen it, I'm on Safari. It's not every time, most of the time I don't even get a banner up there.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I browsed around a bit on Chrome with ABP disabled and finally saw it. Here are some deets.

The image URL is http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/386203output.gif
    The link goes to http:// flitsoo.com/?refa=pa (I broke it on purpose)

• Options
    This is weird. I'm bringing in clever people to help.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I tooled around for 10 or so minutes on a fresh IE... got nothing.

It seems to be related to a flash update?

http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/discussion/112745

I guess flash is a thing on android so that would explain it. I don't have flash installed at all except via chrome so that seems to fit. Maybe remove flashplayer if it's installed on your system to see if that fixes any issues you guys are having?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Searching Google for 'flitsoo.com' seems to return some results on a messsage board run for some towns in New Jersey reporting the same thing. Their users seem to have reported it in multiple desktop browsers and even on iPhone.

http://forum.millburnonline.com/discussion/112745

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Current firefox here as well

malwarebytes, adaware, and avast don't pick up anything on my end

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Current firefox here as well

malwarebytes, adaware, and avast don't pick up anything on my end

It may not be flagging your anti-virals, try removing adobe flashplayer and see if that fixes it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I disabled flash in the browser and it remains

or did you mean completely uninstall it?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I disabled flash in the browser and it remains

or did you mean completely uninstall it?

Yeah kebosh the whole thing. I am wondering if it's some shitware that got paired with it somehow.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    pNeFyujd

This also happens to me about 1 in 3 pageviews. Chrome. I have no addons beyond vanilla download. The void still shows up, but with no advertisement. It's been mentioned a bunch but I figured you might want a screencap.

Enc on
  • Options
    Yeah I figured that was norm, it's been like that ever since the kickstarter thing right? IE shows the same thing, just that blank voidspace.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    The empty box has been there ever since the PA DVD advertisement went away, to my knowledge.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I've never seen it in Firefox. I actually have Penny Arcade whitelisted in this ABP, but I still use NoScript. I currently have pa-promos.appspot.com and google-analytics.com blocked in NoScript.

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Using Firefox, just installed lates Flash update, not seeing anything.
    For people who do see them, why not just use adblock until someone figures out what causes it?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.