As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All Dogs Go To Heaven (And Taste Delicious) [movies]

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I kind of want to live in the world where World War 3 was started because of Seth Rogen and James Franco

right before I succumb to radiation poisoning I will think "at least I couldn't have died for anything stupider"

Yes because North Korea are militarily capable of doing much besides bombing parts of South Korea for a few days before being shut down completely by outside interests what with their battered Vietnam War era Soviet surplus equipment and arms and starving army.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    furthermore I don't see how the kingdom of serbia is a threat to the united states

PNk1Ml4.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I have serious doubts anyone would stand up for NK if they went to war over a movie. Even China has had it up to here with their shit lately.

Big difference between this situation and WW1.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    I think you'll find the best Christmas movies can be found on the TV channels that rebrand to feature the word 'Christmas' in their name when it gets to December.

Only if they show Die Hard on Christmas Eve, followed by National Lampoons Christmas Vacation on Christmas Day.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    darleysam wrote: »
    I think you'll find the best Christmas movies can be found on the TV channels that rebrand to feature the word 'Christmas' in their name when it gets to December.

Only if they show Die Hard on Christmas Eve, followed by National Lampoons Christmas Vacation on Christmas Day.

HAH! It's not a Christmas movie unless it contains 'wish', 'miracle', or 'secret' in the title.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    I'm gonna be really selfish and an asshole all of a sudden.

If sony pictures falls apart will marvel likely get Spider-Man back?

Also thanks iphone for getting correctly autocorrecting Spider-Man.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    From the sounds of it, they might be getting him back (or at least get to use him) anyway

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    I hope that at least one chain still shows the movie because I love Franco/Rogen movies and I don't want this to slow down their ability to make movies.

I'm sure tim league will still have it at the drafthouse or something.
    I doubt itll hurt Rogen or Franco. Sony might have some issues

It's weird, you'd think after psn that sony's cyber security would have been top of the line across the board. I guess the different divisions probably don't talk to each other much, and there's never been an entire multibillion dollar company held captive like this before.

I have more trouble feeling sorry for media conglomerates than I do for the creators. I do hope that the guys working 9 to 5 don't get completely fucked as a result of this, but the execs should have been smarter about it in a lot of ways, from security to greenlighting the project without changing to a fictional dictator.

I just picture Sony, after that first big PSN hack, just bringing in some guys "security-expert" brother-in-law who just installed Norton on everything and sent them a bill.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Has there been anything about how the hack actually happened

I'm curious how they got in

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    From the sounds of it, they might be getting him back (or at least get to use him) anyway

the news on that was that it didn't happen, i thought.

Weren't they still storing server passwords in a .txt file? Or am I thinking of another very recent hack?

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Weren't they still storing server passwords in a .txt file? Or am I thinking of another very recent hack?

oh lord if that is true

oh my god

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/16/hack-sony-twice-shame-on-sony/
    As Kashmir Hill reported, there were only 11 people on the Sony information security team at the time of the hack:

“The real problem lies in the fact that there was no real investment in or real understanding of what information security is,” said the former employee. One issue made evident by the leak is that sensitive files on the Sony Pictures network were not encrypted internally or password-protected.

Hackers found a file with Sony usernames and passwords called “Usernames&Passwords.”

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    how the fuck do you have 11 IS professionals and that shit doesn't get done

ONE PERSON should get that done

also 11 people on a network of that size is completely, utterly insane

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »

the news on that was that it didn't happen, i thought.

There's apparently a Spidey summit in January where the Sony bigwigs are going to discuss what to do about him

But latest word on the street is that Feige will be in attendance and feels good about it, though I think that's from a different source than the leaks

Like to put that in perspective

my team is 8 people

we do qa for the actual implementation team

on a network WAY smaller than sonys

holy shit

Interview questions for working IT/IS at Sony

"So you know all about how to use the googles, right?"

"Do you know the wifi password? I can't pull up the HR page."

"You can just keep a list of passwords so if I forget it you can just tell me what it is instead of resetting it?"

Will someone hack Fox so Disney gets xmen and a new hope too?

I figured it out.

I think we have a mouse problem guys.

Now everyone please put on these tinfoil hats.

Sony Director of Information Security Jason Spaltro even gave an interview in 2007 whose whole point was to revel in Sony’s security loopholes: “it’s a valid business decision to accept the risk” of a security breach. “I will not invest $10 million to avoid a possible $1 million loss,” he said at the time.

fuck you

Holy shiiiiiiiit.

Sony Director of Information Security Jason Spaltro even gave an interview in 2007 whose whole point was to revel in Sony’s security loopholes: “it’s a valid business decision to accept the risk” of a security breach. “I will not invest $10 million to avoid a possible $1 million loss,” he said at the time.

fuck you

Yeah I'd say they're wayyyyy out more than $10m now.

Encrypting that file would have cost about a dollar

30 seconds of someones time

I meant in damages and lost revenue but yeah.

Why even have a separate file with all of that exported to it isn't that just built into AD?

edited December 2014
    I meant in damages and lost revenue but yeah.

Why even have a separate file with all of that exported to it isn't that just built into AD?

Yes, typically

There are maybe some arguments to be had for an admin having a list of all users and their passwords immediately at hand, and storing them separately isn't inherently a vulnerability, but the way this was done is so insanely lazy

1) password protect the file
    2) rename the file something innoccuous
    3) use ACL or GPO to restrict access or even viewing of the file only to admins
    4) store them hashed

like, a normal user shouldn't even be aware that file exists, and from what I understand they just used a trojan to get basic access

Chincymcchilla on
    Should've just called the file "untitled rob schneider project.avi".

Even the hackers would have left it alone.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Well anything running a UNIX/Linux derivative (usually) wouldn't be attached to AD, so keeping auth credentials separately is necessary a lot. That said, jesus there's 20 different ways to do that shit securely.

And that dude's quote about risk assessment is right in theory, his problem is wildly fucking undervaluing the risk to Sony. And probably overvaluing the cost to mitigate too.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Well anything running a UNIX/Linux derivative (usually) wouldn't be attached to AD, so keeping auth credentials separately is necessary a lot. That said, jesus there's 20 different ways to do that shit securely.

And that dude's quote about risk assessment is right in theory, his problem is wildly fucking undervaluing the risk to Sony. And probably overvaluing the cost to mitigate too.

even then they could have used shadow password in about 20 seconds, or any other of a ton of ways as you said

and yeah the idea that a security breach would only cost sony 1$ million is absolutely hilarious

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    how was sony pictures not hacked earlier

was it merely the assumption that such a large corporation would surely have its shit together and be very difficult to hack

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »
    how was sony pictures not hacked earlier

was it merely the assumption that such a large corporation would surely have its shit together and be very difficult to hack

I genuinely don't know this

Its weird

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Not only would you think a company like that would know better but Sony already went through this once before..
    Of all people they should have some of the toughest security at this point.

They even weren't auditing properly

They may nit have even known they were hacked!

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I really, really wish they go through with that Phil Lord, Chris Miller Spider-Man movie.

Also, someone somewhere suggested Edgar Wright as the new director for a live-action Spider-Man. I didn't know how badly I wanted that until I read it. Ultimately though, Sony needs to stop meddling with the making of the film and just give the director some room to breathe. I think I read that Marc Webb had the same experience as Sam Raimi did on his third Spidey in terms of studio interference.

Oh, and as long as we're wishing for things that are too good to come true, someone somehow please get Greg Weisman and his entire team back together to continue Spectacular Spider-Man from where they left off and see their plans for the series through.

I wonder how much of Sony not being willing to put any money into their information security was because of this attitude you see in lots of places where IT gets underfunded and treated like shit because they aren't a profit-generating division.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Probably a whole lot!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    I wonder how much of Sony not being willing to put any money into their information security was because of this attitude you see in lots of places where IT gets underfunded and treated like shit because they aren't a profit-generating division.

Probably a lot

Even in the coding world, IS is often undervalued

I have been paid to go to perform vulnerability testing on a site where the engineer told his team to let me perform the tests and then ignore the results because the only thing that mattered was the code working and he didn't care about security

I can't decide on snap, crackle, or pop because I think my brain just did all three of those.

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Christmas Vacation, Die Hard, A Christmas Story, Rocky IV, Home Alone, Jingle All The Way, in that order.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm going to do a Christmas horror night and try to find some I've never seen.

So far the only ones I can find that I haven't seen are Sint, Rare Exports:A Christmas Tale, and Christmas Cruelty.

Christmas Cruelty might be too much though based on the synopsis.

Rare Exports is a fantastic Christmas Horror movie

it... might be the best one?

It's not a field with a lot of competition

That's a lot of interesting ways to misspell It's a Wonderful Life

This discussion has been closed.