As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dream Games, or, OH MAN IT'D BE SO COOL

Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worsebefore it gets any better.Registered User regular
We've all had that thought.

"Why hasn't anyone made this game?"

Or, "Aw man wouldn't it be cool if [game studio] did that?"

Well this is the thread for discussion of and relating to that sort of thing!

For example, I really want a pirate game. Like, Assassins Creed: Black Flag was really cool and all but at the end of the day it just felt like another AC game with some slightly-more-silly-than-usual accents thrown in there for giggles. I'm talking a truly factually accurate simulation of the golden age of piracy, with hardcore rpg elements and maybe a little bit of wackiness thrown in for flavor. Like a Kraken or some such. Hell, I'd even settle for a decidedly fantasy-orientated game, as long as it depicts life aboard a sailing vessel and big crazy naval battles.

THE DLC COULD BE OTHER OCEANS PEOPLE. FRIGGIN CHINESE AND NORTH AFRICAN PIRATES. YOU COULD MAKE EVERY SINGLE MONEY.

Another thing I want is a persistent, open-world MMO using Google Earth data, set in a post-apocalypse United States. Think more Mad Max than Walking Dead. You'd have several classes, people specced for combat or scavenging etc, with the ultimate end-game goal of establishing a permanent home for you and your little band of wanderers.

Tell me about your dreams, friends. Share them with me.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    A modern Tie Fighter clone

a space MMO that is not preoccupied with either laser swords or space mining

A fantasy RPG similar to Skyrim but with a more D&D-esque character system

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    A good new mechwarrior game would be nice.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't care what people think.

I want a modern graphical update to FFVI. Change nothing else.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    I dreamed about a game one time, but after waking up I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be very good.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    A first person MMORPG. ESO doesn't count.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Eve Offline.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I want a truly MMOFPS that's much better than Planetside.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    I dreamed about a game one time, but after waking up I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be very good.

I've been logging dreams I've had lately and sometimes I'll go back and read what I wrote down and just kind of be like "this is total nonsense I have to stop eating before I go to bed."

Eve Offline.

that's called X3

Just a huge persistent war that I can drop in and out of with vehicles and large scale battles and stuff

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I also think that historical settings are really under-utilized in the gaming industry.

My buddy Justin, back home in Wyoming, had an idea for a game that's basically just ancient mythology (Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc) as an RPG.

Like Skyrim meets Titan Quest with Bioware style party interaction.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Just a huge persistent war that I can drop in and out of with vehicles and large scale battles and stuff

WWII Online was that for a few years. It's an old game now.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    A CKII style strategy game set in a bronze age/pre-bronze age setting might be pretty fucking cool.

Like foundation of the first civilization and the initial pushback against it with outside tribes and stuff

Could be cool and educational.

• BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    LA noire but its Automata and the graphics are in the style of the comic

sig-1.jpg
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    A PvE Sandbox based MMO without open world PvP and with an open world housing system.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Decomposey wrote: »
    A Sandbox based MMO without open world PvP and with an open world housing system.

...second life?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    A high school debate club simulator that has the same level of mechanical complexity as a fighting game

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    A small squad Tactical RPG with deep character customization, hex-map combat, and more than a passing nod at class balance.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Also, Lionhead was producing this game called BC for a while that looked SO. DAMN. COOL. It was like a tribal, caveman thing but there were also dinosaurs and stuff and you'd gain powers and special traits by absorbing other tribes and stuff, and you'd have persistent tribe members who develop their own stories and battle scars and whatnot and I was so sad when they cancelled it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_(video_game)

I should have known better than to trust Molynieux.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Decomposey wrote: »
    A Sandbox based MMO without open world PvP and with an open world housing system.

...second life?

Sure, like Second Life, just with monsters trying to kill you and monsters you can go kill.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    I remember BC. It looked amazing but you never trust Molyneux. You just don't do it.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I want Platinum to make the next Jedi Knight game. I want that with all of my heart. Just give me Reveangance with lightsabers and I will die happy.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    An extremely deep and dynamic stealth game that requires Herculean levels of patience, planning, and attention to detail

You shoot a bullet, you need to find and collect the casing, and remove the bullet from the target to prevent any potential ballistics matches

You get shot, you have to sneak to the janitor's closet to get some industrial cleaner and go at the bloodstains with a black light to make sure you dont leave anything behind

A game that literally no one other than me would enjoy

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Vampire : masquarade but with Dishonoured teleports/spells/movement and Deus Ex HR conversations/skill trees. (or Alpha Protocol conversations which would be even better)

That type of game with fewer loadscreens and a more open city would be amazing.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    An extremely deep and dynamic stealth game that requires Herculean levels of patience, planning, and attention to detail

You shoot a bullet, you need to find and collect the casing, and remove the bullet from the target to prevent any potential ballistics matches

You get shot, you have to sneak to the janitor's closet to get some industrial cleaner and go at the bloodstains with a black light to make sure you dont leave anything behind

A game that literally no one other than me would enjoy

Dude, people willingly play and enjoy tractor simulators.

I don't care what game it is, there is a market for it.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The Elder Scrolls: Less Hardware Limitation So That The Battles Are Actually Epic and Also There Is More Dramatic Intensity

Tam on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    A fighting game with no cancels and variable frame data.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I want a game that is basically Payday 2, but set inside the Mass Effect multiplayer universe.

I want to heist as a crew of aliens. I want to rob banks in the Citadel, protect Red Sand shipments on Illium, steal secrets on Noveria, shoot it out with C Sec, ambush Spectres with a hail of biotics.

I feel like my dream is too beautiful to ever exist.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Skies of Arcadia 2

that is all

• TamTam Registered User regular
    basically I want a computer that can handle ENB with no problem, and a Tamriel that is more populated and actually really large
    and a more complex combat system
    and just a smidge of emotional/dramatic intensity

I want a straight up space exploration game. Like, you fly from system to system and land on planets and drive around on them looking for stuff.

Like the Mako stuff in the first Mass Effect but better and more in depth with the exploration. Leaving the vehicle and entering caves and shit. Finding new species and minerals and junk.

There doesn't need to be any combat.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I want a straight up space exploration game. Like, you fly from system to system and land on planets and drive around on them looking for stuff.

Like the Mako stuff in the first Mass Effect but better and more in depth with the exploration. Leaving the vehicle and entering caves and shit. Finding new species and minerals and junk.

This sounds like No Man's Sky!

I've not played this game. Should I?

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

It's not out yet, but yeah, when it's out, it sounds like exactly what you want!

It's a big procedurally generated galaxy that would take millions of actual years to explore the entirety of, and while there is some combat, you're not really required to do any of it. It's entirely possible to play the game as a pacifistic explorer and discoverer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

It comes out next year and its pretty much exactly what you're describing

The planets are procedurally generated and iirc there's something like a quadrillion different planets

I am all over that shit!

The game has no skyboxes

If you look up and see a planet then you can fly to that planet

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Bayonetta May Cry

Devil May Cry: Nocturne

Lastly, a stupid idea.

A Batman game. That's not actually a Batman game. But totally is.

Instead you play as a former member of the League of Assassins that's lost a family member to the Joker and has sworn to get "revenge".

Mostly because, from Batman's prospective, his rogue's aren't really all that scary. Don't get me wrong, they are! But playing as Batman means, well, you're Batman. The rogue's know you, and they know the worse they'll get is a buttkicking and thrown into Arkham. And you're Batman. Batman won't lose, and isn't supposed to.

You don't see how they react to people NOT Batman, or, a dangerous element that isn't him.

Making a player created character/original character would showcase how dangerous they actually are with a sort of scaling morality/difficulty system.

You can take a Batman approach, and the fights would be difficult, but managable. Side with Batman and it becomes even easier.

Or you can go the hard, bullshit, this game is cheating route and attempt to take them down with lethal means, where the game switches to a near horror bent.

Someone like Killer Croc wouldn't be too hard to take down a non-lethal way, since you aren't endangering his life. Come at him guns blazing with edge weapons though, and he would know the fight is for keeps and will respond IN KIND. A pushover boss like Killer Croc becomes a fight for survival.

Of course this would be based on the Arkham system with a completly open world Gotham ala Skyrim with actual interiors for some buildings.

Okay I have written enough about my fan-fiction.

OH! Lastly you have to keep a low profile or you get Batman's attention(as the game progresses, you will anyway, but the longer you stall, the better chance you have of him not just showing up, kicking your ass, and throwing you in jail.)

You can fight him. He will cheat. You will lose.

That looks SHIT HOT! Is there a release date?