As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [DOODLE] Thread for the Ages. [NSFW]

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Been toying with this image of some kind of barbarian/warrior girl who swings around a big broken sword.

the feet are totally a good place to stop for the night.

character_sketchin__by_evansrck-d89f7ov.png

did you use reference for this??

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I did not.

I should have.

• Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    holy shit I love that sketch. I can't...I can't put it into words...but I really really like it. o_____o

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    OK, what do you guys think so far? Seems a lot better to me, I'm having fun with it.

mzxnh1ugbnc2.jpg

Also, am I spamming the doodle thread too much?

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Frank, I wont stop you from using the doodle thread, but I would prefer you use your own thread. Makes it easier to give people feedback through a process

• Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    yeah, you seem to be putting in quite a lot of work into this for a doodle. GO ALL THE WAY!

• Options
    LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    fc8npydomq6v.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    Not really all that happy with it after all the time I spent noodling on it but eh, I finished it.

Small victories.

luke_skywalker_by_evansrck-d89yqrj.jpg

• Options
    Oh god does his face look as bad on a computer screen as it does on my phone?

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Redesigning my old D&D character. On the left is a new sketch, on the right is the original drawing from about about 1.5 or 2 years ago.

uu5n5yv80zz6.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    2 year old guy has so much more sass.

• Options
    Haha, yeah, I think I need to work those droopy eyelids back in.

• Options
    yeah and the general eye shape, i.e. the outer corners turned down

• Options
    25pitf9.jpg

• Options
    spawnoftheEDspawnoftheED Multimedia Designer New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Haven't posted in a while. Is this the same thread? what happened to the million page thing?
    anyway, have some doodles!
    tumblr_nemj3yI3RT1r6e7cdo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nekl3wIlc81r6e7cdo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ndjhkweDi71r6e7cdo1_500.jpg

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    That ron swanson is epic.

• Options
    Tidus53Tidus53 Registered User regular
    I've been experimenting a lot more with facial expressions and features, trying to make them look more animated and stylized. This is just a bunch of stuff I got through with my daily stuff.

QYFa4qd.jpg

• Options
    zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I made a drawing...
    mJTXL7e.jpg

zapattack on
    www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • Options
    First of 12 pages of my "Masque of the Red Death" sci fi adaption. Only about four pages to go!
    eff3gw1qh3c6.png

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So I started with the online Watts Atelier over the break. Something to do while school is out that has nothing to do with programming. So how does that program start off?
    Watts-Squares-1.jpg
    Watts-Cylinders-1-Small.jpg
    These might look familiar.
    The pencil takes some getting used to.
    Watts-Pencil-4.jpg
    I tried to pretend to be an art school freshmen to enrich the experience, but I couldn't find a pair of girl's skinny jeans and a scarf.

gavindel on
    Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    HEY!

...we didn't all have scarves.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @gavindel‌ awesome! I hope the program treats you well.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    gavindel wrote: »
    So I started with the online Watts Atelier over the break. Something to do while school is out that has nothing to do with programming. So how does that program start off?
    Watts-Squares-1.jpg
    Watts-Cylinders-1-Small.jpg
    These might look familiar.
    The pencil takes some getting used to.
    Watts-Pencil-4.jpg
    I tried to pretend to be an art school freshmen to enrich the experience, but I couldn't find a pair of girl's skinny jeans and a scarf.

You should start a thread so everybody (including you) can look back at your progress over time!

• Options
    Tried giving Procreate and my new iPad Intuos stylus a whirl, painting my mom's living room while waiting to go to the airport.

The lack of precision drives me nuts, maybe I should have picked up a cheap travel watercolor set instead.

Mom_living_roomsmall.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Second page of the adaptation I'm working on. I'd like some crits on this one, out of the pages I've finished this is the only one I'm not too confident about. This is supposed to be the inside of the station from the previous page. Mostly I think I'm having trouble making the elements feel coherent, some of it feels slightly flat right now.
    ea07jcureq7d.png

m3nace on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    I submit a confluence of badly recommended actions by posting my doodle of a anime character drawn from reference.

kt4h7s040ob9.jpg

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Hey folks I often look in here but don't post.

I'm studying landscape architecture in my second year, part of that involves sketching/drawing. I have trouble sketching, its not something I have a natural talent for. I find it hard to do quickly.
    tumblr_nheqphmIfb1qd5e3ao3_1280.jpg

a5kf7x1fwc9o.jpg

That took me 15mins to do, I'm so slow. How do I get faster without compromising it looking vaguely like what I'm trying to draw?

I'd really appreciate tips!

• Options
    zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    dooooodle

sk11Y0Z.png

www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • Options
    Liiya wrote: »

I'm studying landscape architecture in my second year, part of that involves sketching/drawing. I have trouble sketching, its not something I have a natural talent for. I find it hard to do quickly.

a5kf7x1fwc9o.jpg

That took me 15mins to do, I'm so slow. How do I get faster without compromising it looking vaguely like what I'm trying to draw?

@Liiya

Well, the true but admittedly Mr.Miyagi-lesson-sounding answer is: you get fast, by not trying to be fast.

Quickness comes as a result of doing things slowly and diligently, until you are so practiced that you make fewer mistakes. When you watch someone who is really good and fast draw, it's not because they're moving their hand faster, or working in a panic- if anything, each individual line is placed more slowly and deliberately than a beginner, making sure that all their measurements and angles are right. But they accomplish a lot in a short amount of time because that care that they're putting into those measurements, and the accumulated experience of having done it the slow, deliberate way for so long, means that they will simply make fewer mistakes- so they get a lot more done than someone who tries rushing themselves to meet a timeframe, even if given the exact same amount of time to work.

Also, 15 minutes is nowhere near a large amount of time, so don't sweat it. Drawing takes a lot of time, there's no way around it- so relax and just spend some time doing it.

If you want a pointer as to something that might help with this kind of observational sketching, you might want to look at this old post I made about measuring:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/27853638/#Comment_27853638

Now, that deals with drawing a cloth towel digitally rather than buildings in pen, but the same principles will apply- if you measure out the angles between the corners of buildings with a bit of patience, you'll be able to wrangle your drawings into proportion and get a much more solid effect; make a habit of that, and it'll start to come quickly and more confidently.

• Options

a5kf7x1fwc9o.jpg

@Liiya

Well, the true but admittedly Mr.Miyagi-lesson-sounding answer is: you get fast, by not trying to be fast.

Quickness comes as a result of doing things slowly and diligently, until you are so practiced that you make fewer mistakes. When you watch someone who is really good and fast draw, it's not because they're moving their hand faster, or working in a panic- if anything, each individual line is placed more slowly and deliberately than a beginner, making sure that all their measurements and angles are right. But they accomplish a lot in a short amount of time because that care that they're putting into those measurements, and the accumulated experience of having done it the slow, deliberate way for so long, means that they will simply make fewer mistakes- so they get a lot more done than someone who tries rushing themselves to meet a timeframe, even if given the exact same amount of time to work.

Also, 15 minutes is nowhere near a large amount of time, so don't sweat it. Drawing takes a lot of time, there's no way around it- so relax and just spend some time doing it.

If you want a pointer as to something that might help with this kind of observational sketching, you might want to look at this old post I made about measuring:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/27853638/#Comment_27853638

Now, that deals with drawing a cloth towel digitally rather than buildings in pen, but the same principles will apply- if you measure out the angles between the corners of buildings with a bit of patience, you'll be able to wrangle your drawings into proportion and get a much more solid effect; make a habit of that, and it'll start to come quickly and more confidently.

@Angel_of_Bacon‌

Thank you so much for such a quick and detailed reply!

The reason I was thinking of "going faster" is because tutors had told me I was stressing too much over tiny details and taking too long, but trying to go faster just seemed to make things less accurate/I made more mistakes! I will start doing things the Miyagi way. Go slow and deliberate and careful. Also your post on measuring is fantastic, I will be using that lots, proportion and the correct angles is something I've found very difficult to begin understanding where to start with - thank you!

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular

The reason I was thinking of "going faster" is because tutors had told me I was stressing too much over tiny details and taking too long, but trying to go faster just seemed to make things less accurate/I made more mistakes! I will start doing things the Miyagi way. Go slow and deliberate and careful. Also your post on measuring is fantastic, I will be using that lots, proportion and the correct angles is something I've found very difficult to begin understanding where to start with - thank you!

Detail is a secondary component to the underlying structure and it's a common mistake to get bogged down with detail first instead of tackling structure, that may be what your tutor is referring to.

I may be overlapping a little of what Bacon has said, but I would further suggest breaking your drawing down, go back to the basics, and practice drawing shapes in space with accuracy: cubes, cones, cylinders, pyramids. Break it down more and practice being able to produce a straight line, an s curve, an ellipse, a circle, the fundamental building blocks to any drawing. Once you're able to do this you can further challenge yourself by making complex shapes out of simpler ones: cutting into a shape, adding to a shape, like a poor man's 3d program. Try to take simple objects like a pencil and draw it as a complex shape, in this case a cone + cylinder. And don't be afraid to draw through or show your work.

When I started out drawing I would do pages of these in order to get my hand-eye coordination up, muscle memory, it's like learning a language before you can speak. When you're able to do this well is when you'll be able to pick up speed as you will be making less mistakes. As a result you'll also develop a flow which is quite enjoyable.

• Options
    15yamh4.jpg

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    That makes me want a Tam version of Prince Valiant

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    Holy shit Tam, those are sweet.

• Options
    look upon your canon and lament
    for Animario draws near

16ib8dt.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Value composition for this is all kinds of fucked, but then when I look at it with colours it kind of works. Super annoying to work with these super saturated colours since, as I have learned doing this, different colours inherently have different values... Dagnabit, how the fuck does Syd Mead manage to work with saturated colours and yet keep his value comps so clean?
    kvglfy17qp1r.png

m3nace on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I think a big part of what makes Syd Mead's color composition work is he usually uses completely opposing wedges of the color wheel (usually blue or blue-green to orange or red-orange) and so when there are areas which combine those tones, they go into tertiary values almost immediately. Yours won't really do that as they aren't opponents-- BUT-- I actually really like how unsettling the effect you're getting is-- it is actually pretty successful at conveying this deep-futuristic miasma in a way that I don't think you could really get at otherwise. I think if you pushed some of those saturated teals closer to green you could get some more deeply opponent effects in your midtones, but I don't know that you need to?

edit to add: on further study-- part of what makes it really surreal or unsettling is that your compositions for this particular project nearly completely lack yellow; your pinks and reds are cool and saturated, which are really slick and technical-feeling rather than lifelike (imo, that feels like what you are aiming for so I don't see it as a "problem"-- just a contributing eerieness factor). That feels deliberate and I think you can still make some really good use of it, you just won't be able to really harness the desaturation you get by working into the greys that you can get through tertiary color, since most of what you'll get from this mix will be purples.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    Kallisti wrote: »

Detail is a secondary component to the underlying structure and it's a common mistake to get bogged down with detail first instead of tackling structure, that may be what your tutor is referring to.

I may be overlapping a little of what Bacon has said, but I would further suggest breaking your drawing down, go back to the basics, and practice drawing shapes in space with accuracy: cubes, cones, cylinders, pyramids. Break it down more and practice being able to produce a straight line, an s curve, an ellipse, a circle, the fundamental building blocks to any drawing. Once you're able to do this you can further challenge yourself by making complex shapes out of simpler ones: cutting into a shape, adding to a shape, like a poor man's 3d program. Try to take simple objects like a pencil and draw it as a complex shape, in this case a cone + cylinder. And don't be afraid to draw through or show your work.

When I started out drawing I would do pages of these in order to get my hand-eye coordination up, muscle memory, it's like learning a language before you can speak. When you're able to do this well is when you'll be able to pick up speed as you will be making less mistakes. As a result you'll also develop a flow which is quite enjoyable.

I'm a bit late to respond to this, but thank you @Kallisti ! That sounds like something simple I can start with to improve bit by bit, when you put it like that, building simple shapes up sounds a lot less stressful - less likely to get me bogged down with details - I'll try that!