As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM Sale: CHRISTMAS SALE HAS BEGUN!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i can't be confined to your pathetic little inbox, cat

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    harry potter for kinect

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Man I think I finally found an assault rifle that works for me in Advanced Warfare

The four round burst one is pretty dang nice.

Normally I only ever play CoD games with SMGs

The IMR, I just went 18 in 5 with it. I never get that good of a ratio ever.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Arts is star backwards so I think it's a space game

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Are you sure about that?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    It's not on steam but Elite Dangerous came out yesterday. Has anyone played it yet?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Enc wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    SbDj4t2.png

this is likely going to go on sale in the next two weeks for the same price, but if you wanted to gift it or something it's also on today

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289130/

Thanks for the heads up.

People who have the game, is it worth it to buy the Emperor pack? I'm probably gonna pick it up for one of my friends.

I've been eyeing this game for weeks, is it as good as CIV5?

Depends on what you like about Civ. If what turns your crank with Civ is hitting identifiable epochs, progressing through recognizable history, than obviously EL ain't gonna do much in that regard. If you like having a wide variety of units under your command, grand mixed armies, know that you'll have to work for it - each faction has three (upgradable, in various ways) core units, and that's it. You can acquire additional unit types by pacifying and assimilating various minor factions, which can be most closely equated to the city states in Civ V.

If you like that Civ V is kinda sprawly, EL might not do a lot for you. Everything's packed in together. I've yet to play a game with a vast frontier between my enemies and I - you're always butting up against somebody. Territory is in high demand.

There are plenty of things that EL does that are really interesting, but among the most is that the factions are way more unique than Civ V. In Civ, a lot of the faction differences are kinda superficial. Maybe you're a bit better at science, or have an extra trading route, but once you're past the first 100 turns, you're basically just playing how you always play. EL, that is not even remotely the case. Maybe you're the Broken Lords, who literally don't eat. They subsist entirely on the "Dust" that serves as the planet's currency. They eat money. Maybe you're the Necrophages, who suffer massive penalties to crop growth but can turn enemy corpses into food. And, by the way, they literally cannot have peaceful diplomatic relations with other players. Ever. Every faction is wildly unique, and plays completely different.

It has an excellent quest system, where you get (well-written!) missions from your own faction, from minor factions, from ruins scattered throughout the planet. There's always some smaller goal to work on when you're building a big thing/waiting on a tech, so you're never just clicking "next turn" over and over. Those faction quests, by the way, are super neat - each faction has its own storyline, telling the tale of their rise to dominance of this planet, with challenges that reflect the way they shape and interact with said world. Way cool.

So, yeah. If you dig Civ, you'll (most likely) dig this too. Whether you'll like it more is hard to say. I haven't spent enough time with it yet to say if I do, but I will say that it has me more excited about possibilities than Civ's made me feel in quite some time. It isn't without its flaws (the latter-eon techs are kind of a snooze; the randomized world generation can really hamstring some factions every now and again), but it's a bold, cool new take on a fairly staid genre.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the best aspects of endless legend are the factions and world design. the only other 4X game I can think of with such distinct factions is MOO2. it's entirely possible to not care about the civ building aspect at all and simply play through and enjoy the world and music.

as for the lack of space you can adjust things by changing up the map settings- make regions smaller, or make the map bigger. my favorite map type is a medium map(6 players) set to 4 players, with 4 continents. it staggers the introductory phase quite well. otherwise you end up as a bit of a warmonger because it's clearly the best strategy.

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    the best aspects of endless legend are the factions and world design. the only other 4X game I can think of with such distinct factions is MOO2. it's entirely possible to not care about the civ building aspect at all and simply play through and enjoy the world and music.

as for the lack of space you can adjust things by changing up the map settings- make regions smaller, or make the map bigger. my favorite map type is a medium map(6 players) set to 4 players, with 4 continents. it staggers the introductory phase quite well. otherwise you end up as a bit of a warmonger because it's clearly the best strategy.

I should try that. Because, yeah, building up a decent army and steamrolling through an entire faction in 10 turns or so is far and away the best way to play. Even when I have a Wonder or Tech victory in mind, I'm still guaranteed to wipe one or two people off the map entirely just to get more space.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    well I wipe the necrophages out on principle

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'd like to point out that Endless Legend will almost certainly be on sale for the same amount during the big holiday sale (which probably starts tomorrow) and you'll also get a card you can use or sell. If you don't buy a lot of games, it won't really make a difference, but if you do, cards add up.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

It's just strategically sound. You cannot make peace or trade meaningfully with them, war will be upon you eventually, and it'll be better to just take their space now and have those regions earlier rather than later.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

It's just strategically sound. You cannot make peace or trade meaningfully with them, war will be upon you eventually, and it'll be better to just take their space now and have those regions earlier rather than later.

we talking about ghandi?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Letting the necrophages live a decent plan if you think they are going to cripple but not kill people other than you.

It's a calculated risk.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I bought Endless Legend today and just lost 3 hours in the blink of an eye.

I'm playing the Wildwalkers, setting the difficulty to Newbie so I can get a grasp of the systems.

I accidentally wandered one of my rangers into the Drakken's territory, and they immediately murdered it.

This kinda pissed me off, so I spent the next turns researching military tech and building an army that now consists of spider-women (who can heal my units) and bird warriors, both of which I got by assimilating two minor factions.

I am going to wipe those goddamn dragons off the map.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Good luck with that.

You know the Drakken's racial ability is the power to unilaterally declare peace, right?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DON'T TELL HIM THAT

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Good luck with that.

You know the Drakken's racial ability is the power to unilaterally declare peace, right?

They can try.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

I'm playing the Wildwalkers, setting the difficulty to Newbie so I can get a grasp of the systems.

I accidentally wandered one of my rangers into the Drakken's territory, and they immediately murdered it.

This kinda pissed me off, so I spent the next turns researching military tech and building an army that now consists of spider-women (who can heal my units) and bird warriors, both of which I got by assimilating two minor factions.

One of the smartest decisions in the game is that it eases you in with the Walkers. They're the closest to regular Civ, even though they have some of their own wrinkles, so they're a great way to wrap your mind around some of the new concepts (Like regions, districts, leveling up parts of your city, etc.)

Make sure, as you build your armies, to take advantage of editing their builds and retrofitting your old units. The upgrades are not to be trifled with.

• Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    1000th game purchased. But what will game 1001 be?

SenorTacos on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    1001: A Steam Odyssey

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Stilts wrote: »

One of the smartest decisions in the game is that it eases you in with the Walkers. They're the closest to regular Civ, even though they have some of their own wrinkles, so they're a great way to wrap your mind around some of the new concepts (Like regions, districts, leveling up parts of your city, etc.)

Make sure, as you build your armies, to take advantage of editing their builds and retrofitting your old units. The upgrades are not to be trifled with.

Yeah, I started doing that immediately after taking a loss to the Drakken.

Now my units are steamrolling everything.

Also, the Wildwalkers give me SO MUCH production. It's insane. I can build my best unit in like...3 turns? Sometimes 2.

My research takes a while, though.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I am terrible at Endless Legend. Even on Easy, the AI comes up with ridiculous armies that I don't even know how to match.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    SenorTacos wrote: »

1001 Spikes

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

1001 Spikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6I3VF1EuA

if you needed further proof that brex was a robot

• Options
    Euro trucks

3s46Cfd.jpg

wTJAiNg.jpg

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

1001 Spikes

I played the demo on XBL awhile back and liked it so I recently bought it on Steam. I should get around to playing it

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

1001 Spikes

just watching the levels from 5:40 or so onward is giving me nightmares

god I would suck so badly at this game

• Options
    it is even harder than it looks btw

brex is just a freak of nature

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Euro Truck Sim people

kbam or controller?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I use kbam. I tried the controller and it was way too oversensitive. Also better visual control during turns and reversing with the mouse.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I didn't realise the graphics in Euro Truck Simulator were so good

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    maybe it needs to be narrowed down a little from every game on steam

There are some ways to narrow it down. Some DARK ARTS that can be done to help you in your search.

Dark arts?

Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode 1 Tides of Fate Complete?

so it turns out this is a real thing and not something you just made up

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    maybe it needs to be narrowed down a little from every game on steam

There are some ways to narrow it down. Some DARK ARTS that can be done to help you in your search.

Dark arts?

Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode 1 Tides of Fate Complete?

so it turns out this is a real thing and not something you just made up

Look I took the clues given and decided it must be a game that wasn't out yet, so I looked at the upcoming stuff on Steam.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Using the mouse to steer is weird (I gave up on the exact parking bonus after a few minutes)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Far Cry 3 has a mission where you hunt rabid dogs with an RPG

It's a little excessive

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Some might call it being thorough.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Omg! Dungeon of the Endless

If you have Sara and Butcher from floor 1, they have unique elevator dialogue..
    Til floor 7 when Sara threatens Butcher once too many and he kills her in the elevator! Omg now I'm at floor 7 with 3 people! Possible unlocks at least tho

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    is it my dick
    While your dick is a prize. It is not the prize.
    Everyone knows what The Prize is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3wO4IOJc9U

sig.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What are some games that are similar to ARMA 2? But, more condensed.

This discussion has been closed.