As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ERRYDAY I'M HUSTLIN'

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I believe you were hornswaggled.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    If a stranger on the street starts moving toward me with purpose then I'm already looking for an escape route

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah it's entirely possible once everything cools that it'll dent back into place.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The worst I've got in Vancouver, even living in the downtown core, is a long sad tale.

One woman approached me at least once a week for like 4 or 5 months in the same spot at the same time of morning while I waited for my bus to work, telling me she's not from here, she just came here from Montreal 2 weeks ago and she's diagnosed schizophrenic and really all she needs is 16 dollars, because 16 dollars buys a week in a homeless shelter where she can get access to her medication.

The sad part is I can kind of tell that the story was true once, and it worked, so now she just does it over and over. I would give her a dollar or two if I had change otherwise I'd apologize, she never recognized me. I got to know the story pretty well.

#pipe on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    One time a dude told me a fantastical tale about how he was in a bar with his friends and someone picked a fight with him and the cops came and smacked him in the mouth with a club and busted up his teeth and he really needs to get home and can I spare ten bucks.

I told him I didn't have any cash and he was like "well can I like... follow you to an ATM or something?"

ha ha no sorry buddy.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I hate when people ask me for money because I really want to help people who need it but the skeptic in me assumes everyone is a scam artist.

There's one dude who sits on busy downtown street corners in the winter with his shirt off and his hand out, shivering and rocking. Often he'll have a sign that says like "HUNGRY, HOMELESS, DESPERATE, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY"

While walking home a couple times I've seen him polishing off a big mac and large coke, pulling off his coat and shirt and stashing them in an alley before talking up the position and commencing the shivering.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I hate when people ask me for money because I really want to help people who need it but the skeptic in me assumes everyone is a scam artist.

One of the reasons I don't carry cash anymore is for plausible deniability, but sometimes I will and basically make a snap judgment on whether the amount they're asking for is actually worth being scammed, on the off chance that they're being honest. 10 bucks ain't gonna get me very far, or a scammer, but it's worth giving to a guy who maybe wants some food

I never have cash on me either. I haven't carried cash for years.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    #pipe wrote: »
    There's one dude who sits on busy downtown street corners in the winter with his shirt off and his hand out, shivering and rocking. Often he'll have a sign that says like "HUNGRY, HOMELESS, DESPERATE, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY"

While walking home a couple times I've seen him polishing off a big mac and large coke, pulling off his coat and shirt and stashing them in an alley before talking up the position and commencing the shivering.

Everyone who's been to PAX knows Dick's, right? The walk up burger place? It's real popular for panhandling, mostly been a couple of the same people the whole time I've lived here but they can't stake the place out all day long so you do get some new people once in a while. There was this huge seven foot tall-ish guy who had moved in there from his old spot outside the grocery store. Built like an NFL defensive player, really loud booming voice, wearing sweat pants and hoody, he'd have a sign that was always way too small to read unless you were right up by him, and when people would be passing right in front of him he'd bellow out "SPARE CHANGE, GUY?! like if Brian Blessed was asking for your spare coins.

Now this Dick's is almost the half-way point between our apartment and the building where Nuka works and where my gym is, so I pass it all the time. This guy is almost always there now. Every day, SPARE CHANGE, GUY?!

One morning I take a slightly different route walking to the gym because I'm playing a cell phone game that uses GPS coordinates and I wanted to hit up some different points, and I see this guy step off a bus, wearing regular, clean clothes, big backpack, looking at his ipad with some big headphones on. A week or so later we go out for late night burgers and he's up there in his panhandling outfit, booms his line at us, and my stupid mouth just blurts out back at him, "SPARE IPAD, GUY?!" and I immediately regretted everything and thought I was about to get squished into the sidewalk.

He didn't say anything at all, got our burgers and left, haven't seen him there since.

Weaver on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    because I'm playing a cell phone game that uses GPS coordinates and I wanted to hit up some different points

I just started playing Ingress, too

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I got hustled into buying a rap CD at pax a couple years ago. I think it was Tube's fault.

Dudes in the parking lot of the grocery store by my house are always trying to sell me their CDs

I just point out that I don't even own anything that plays CDs (which is actually true) and they say, "That's cool," and leave me be

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I live near and visit New Orleans often. Apparently I still look like a tourist. I hear the same scripted scams from different people twice in a day whenever I go down there. It's the same "I'll shine your shoes if I can answer these questions about you" schtick.

"I can guess how many kids your dad has. I know where you got your shoes."
    If you say ok, they'll say: "You're dad can't have kids. Only a mother can. You got your shoes right here in New Orleans on the River Walk."

Responded to a guy once and told him I didn't have cash. He said he'd walk me to an atm. I told him I wasn't paying.

Now we just walk past.

Kaplar on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I got hustled into buying a rap CD at pax a couple years ago. I think it was Tube's fault.

Dudes in the parking lot of the grocery store by my house are always trying to sell me their CDs

I just point out that I don't even own anything that plays CDs (which is actually true) and they say, "That's cool," and leave me be

my car plays CDs. and cassette tapes!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huh. None of this stuff has ever happened to me. I guess I don't look gullible?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

A few weeks ago there was a guy around the corner of Abbot and Hastings who saw an old woman in a wheelchair getting money out of the ATM, walked up, stole her purse after she had gotten the money, and ran.

Luckily he got taken down by people around her and beaten up a little until the cops came.

But man, you want to talk about shitty stuff in downtown Vancouver...

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    There are dudes in costume outside the collisseum in rome who will rush in to any picture you take and then demand you pay them for the privilege

They tried to make me take their picture at one point and I was like, joke's on you fucker, I'm too broke to own a camera

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

you should make some hipsterish comment about only listening to music on 8track.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

you should make some hipsterish comment about only listening to music on 8track.

Victrola or nothing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I was in San Francisco with some friends a few years back, and a woman approaches us. I warn my friends to not talk to her, just keep on walking.

I keep on walking.

I look back.

My friends are talking with her, and she's going on and on about how she just needs a simple telephone so she can call her mom, cause her mom is dying from cancer you see, and she can't afford to go visit her but she really needs to hear her voice before she dies.

I go up to my friends and tell them we need to keep walking, ignore the woman.

My friends take her into a store and buy her a telephone.

The next day, on the same street, in the same place, we see her asking another group of people for a simple telephone so she can call her mom, cause her mom is dying from cancer, you see...

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Once when stopping for some gas and a bite to eat in the midst of a twelve-hour drive, a man approached me and asked for some money to buy... I don't remember, something to repair his car. I pulled out a piece of paper and wrote my address down so he could mail me the twenty bucks or whatever.

After I got home and slept and woke up I realized it was a scam. Unfortunately, I like to believe the best of people, but now I'm just not going to believe anything anybody says without some kind of proof. (I mean, not believe people who walk up to you out of the blue.)

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The first time I ever went to Oregon, I pulled up to a gas station right off the interstate in the middle of nowhere and some sketchy looking guy walks up and knocks on my window and I'm thinking yep, about to get murdered.

It was the station attendant because you can't pump your own gas in Oregon.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    The other day this guy (who I see hanging around all the time) came up to me in the grocery store parking lot, just as I was getting out of my car, asking if I could spare $16 for gas because it's Christmas time and he was stranded several states away from home. He had a young girl with him that he claimed was his daughter.

I told him "sorry, I don't carry cash" (which is true)

He then offered to let me drive him to the nearest gas station (which he assured had an ATM) while his daughter waits here.

Yeah, nope

Long story short, got called an asshole under his breath because I needed some eggs

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

One of the reasons I don't carry cash anymore is for plausible deniability, but sometimes I will and basically make a snap judgment on whether the amount they're asking for is actually worth being scammed, on the off chance that they're being honest. 10 bucks ain't gonna get me very far, or a scammer, but it's worth giving to a guy who maybe wants some food

10 bucks! Where do I sign up for pan handling?

Beggars might get a dollar for me, or more like 2 if they actually provide a service, like the guy in NYC who explained what train I needed to get where I was going.

10 would never happen.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    My favorite Minneapolis bum is the guy with the staff and a book on it, and a giant trench coat that hangs out outside First Avenue.

It's a dollar to sign bum wizards book or coat with his markers.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I went to a school vacation to Washington D.C. when I was a kid (I dunno, somewhere between 3rd and 5th grade) and we were heading up a big set of stairs to one of the destinations when this possibly homeless guy wanders up to our group, all right up next to us going "Hey, can I have some money, I need some money". We don't really know what to do since we're just kids, so we just kinda try to move around him, but he's not letting us pass, so finally I grab my wallet and hand over $5. And of course the guy tries to grab the rest of my money out of my wallet, but I managed to tug it away before he could. I guess $5 was fine, because he left.

When we got inside, my friends went "Dude, why did you give him money?" I don't fucking know, what were you chucklefucks doing?

Of course, the supervisors were already inside the building too, so it's not like they would've seen and come by to help.

So basically everyone involved in that was an asshole.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My favorite bum is the guy that hangs outside The Black Cat in DC

"Spare some change for a poor black cat?!"

nicest bum ever.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    My favorite Minneapolis bum is the guy with the staff and a book on it, and a giant trench coat that hangs out outside First Avenue.

This.

This right here is my new plan for financial stability when I retire.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My brother was once approached by a homeless man who had been drinking.

The man said, "Hey. It's my birthday, can you spare a few bucks?"

"Your birthday? Can you prove that?" My brother asked.

"Yeah, I got ID," replied the homeless man as he fished through his pockets for his wallet. When he finally found it, he opened it and showed it to my brother. The only thing in it was a playing card. A five of diamonds.

"Alright. Yep. That checks out," my brother said as he handed over five bucks.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I bought the damn street sheet once

Never again

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    one time a dude tried to sell me a dog in the parking lot of a best buy

pulled up in front of me and Kale in a van and said "hey... you guys looking to buy a shih tzu?"

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

You gotta give that guy money. He might be a real wizard.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    one time a dude tried to sell me a dog in the parking lot of a best buy

pulled up in front of me and Kale in a van and said "hey... you guys looking to buy a shih tzu?"

"Not really. Got anything in a nice Doberman or maybe an Irish Setter?"

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I'm walking in the city with a friend when some random scruffy-looking stranger walks up and starts insisting he knows me. As a rule I don't make any eye contact, but then he notices my friend and starts asking him if I'm deaf. So I decide it's time to make use of my practiced skill at gibberish (mine sounds vaguely Scandinavian, with some Russian and German bits in it) and just start casually chatting to my friend in a fake language. After a moment, the guy asks my friend if I speak any English. "Not a word!" he says and we walk off.

Using a fake language is way better than actually knowing a different language, since there's always that small chance that they speak the language too.

We'll get back there someday.
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    There's been a guy in our area of the city for a while now who's known for trying to scam people in their stopped cars. He'll run up to you in your car, spouts out a desperate story about how his wife was in a car crash and he needs a ride to the hospital because his car broke down. Also he needs money for the hospital because he lost his wallet. Then he claims that he's rich, name drops the well-known city restaurants/bars/shops he claims to own, and promises you hundreds of dollars if you drive him. People just drive away, but at least once he's apparently tried to open a passenger side door and force himself in.

I mean, I think he's a scammer. He may just be trying to rob people though.

Kaplar wrote: »

You gotta give that guy money. He might be a real wizard.

He does have magic marker.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    My state of residence has the highest rate of fraud in the US, largely because of a specific religious population that's pretty susceptible. The state I grew up in has the second highest rate, because of a high concentration of senior citizens, who are also super susceptible. But I'm a pretty big dude, with a resting face state that looks like I'm selecting a target to headbutt. So I've witnessed a lot of con-men at work, but rarely been approached by one.

One exception is this guy who's always hanging out at a coffee shop near my bus stop. I chatted with him once, four or five years ago, when we were both shopping in the same section of a used video game store, giving him some advice on what kind of games his kid would like. Now, every time he sees me, he pulls a bunch of beat up looking thrift store games out of his magic bag to try to sell me at close to original retail prices. And I'm like "Hey man, no matter how many times you offer, I'm never going to want your scratched Sonic & Mario At The Olympics disc, especially not for $40." To which he responds "Well... what if I can fix the scratches? I know a trick!"

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I believe you were hornswaggled.

hornswoggle_bio_Jan13.png

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I was approached by a man currently eating an orange Flintstone pushpop and holding a whole box of them in his other hand

He asked me if I had some spare change

I bought one of his pushpops

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    I was approached by a man currently eating an orange Flintstone pushpop and holding a whole box of them in his other hand

He asked me if I had some spare change

I bought one of his pushpops

is this code for a handjob, because you don't need to be ashamed sometimes you just need a little release

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562