As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's our [Job] thread

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Why is it that someone asking me if I'm all right makes me more upset than I was before.

There's this thing at work where people always sarcastically ask "ARE YA HAVIN' FUN YET?" and it is incredibly irritating

Bah. Don't be sour. People are just trying to be friendly.

The correct answer is either "Greatest day of my life" or "more fun than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick". That or talk about something interesting, then people won't try to fill the void with dumb small talk jokes.

no one asked them to be friendly, those bastards

I try to scowl 24 hours a day.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    why do I suddenly feel like i'm on the world's most boring coffee break.

We have a guy at my office who has an amazing ability to take any topic and make it completely boring. He also has that thing where if you're in a conversation with him you find it really hard to get out, so the best course of action is to avoid engaging at all costs.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Google agrees. Did you know that google comes from googolplex which is 10^10^100. Also Googles headquarters is called the googleplex.

I thought google came from googol, which is 10^100.

Maybe. They are related numbers anyway. Google is a joke on googol. Googleplex is a joke on googolplex.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Finally got a hold of the person I needed to speak with, told me to call back in the morning.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I followed your orders @DrZiplock‌ !

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/2818/

Couldn't pass it up with free shipping! :biggrin:

• KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

We have a guy at my office who has an amazing ability to take any topic and make it completely boring. He also has that thing where if you're in a conversation with him you find it really hard to get out, so the best course of action is to avoid engaging at all costs.

I'd take boring. We had the person who can take the simplest project and turn it into a disaster. The best example was their task to collect a sample from the warehouse. That ended with a 1500 lb box of plastic pellets located on the top rack punctured with a fork truck. They removed the fork keeping the pellets inside the box.

We cleaned it up after it stopped with snow shovels.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    tomorrow we are having a holiday breakfast. in order for each class to get their breakfast they have to sing a song. most of my class has some sort of speech impediment. this is going to be awkward.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    tomorrow we are having a holiday breakfast. in order for each class to get their breakfast they have to sing a song. most of my class has some sort of speech impediment. this is going to be awkward.
    this sounds like a terrible idea

zkHcp.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So back when apt he whole network was down at school today, teachers were all freaking out since apparently everyone saved stuff on the server and not local. I go to make a sign for the library door saying our computers don't work and we can't check out books but the printers are all networked. Teachers running around shouting since they can't print anything.

Then I remember I have that 1920 typewriter I'd brought in to show students. I quickly type up signs for the door. One of the signs simply said, "The Network is down. Ho Ho Ho, I have a Typewriter."

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

May the twitchy monkey's smile upon you.

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Why is it that someone asking me if I'm all right makes me more upset than I was before.

There's this thing at work where people always sarcastically ask "ARE YA HAVIN' FUN YET?" and it is incredibly irritating

Bah. Don't be sour. People are just trying to be friendly.

The correct answer is either "Greatest day of my life" or "more fun than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick". That or talk about something interesting, then people won't try to fill the void with dumb small talk jokes.

I work in retail, it is very difficult to not be sour

vEaRQgH.png
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    I mean, it's really not a big deal. I do my best to remain positive in spite of the bullshit we put up with, but it just grates on my nerves when I hear "are you having fun yet?" several times a day, every day

vEaRQgH.png
  • CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that all the people at work who fix things are on vacation.

All the people who break things are not.

They are still there.

Breaking things.

*Internally Screaming*
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

May the twitchy monkey's smile upon you.

Daddy has his happy juice now.

I can see noises!!!

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Working over 60 hours next week

Not a fan.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Kipling wrote: »

I'd take boring. We had the person who can take the simplest project and turn it into a disaster. The best example was their task to collect a sample from the warehouse. That ended with a 1500 lb box of plastic pellets located on the top rack punctured with a fork truck. They removed the fork keeping the pellets inside the box.

We cleaned it up after it stopped with snow shovels.

Even better when they are the same person!

our guy didn't know (despite working in the industry for 20 years) that you don't turn on a large ventilation exhaust fan when another one in parallel has pressurized the exhaust plenum (the fan you are trying to start will probably be reverse rotating). Result: tripped breakers, fried motor, lack of redundancy, $$$$

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Working over 60 hours next week

Not a fan.

from this monday to next monday I am working 70 hours :bigfrown:

and then I get to work nights for christmas eve and christmas day.

... at least it is double time...

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    this day is dumb.

fighting with vendors because they change their processes, but don't tell us. but you see, they did tell us. they sent us an email. only that email was to an account that was disabled when all our systems were moved to the new servers and nobody mentioned the disabling to us, or the vendors.

fighting with the same vendor because they fucked up a customer's install/connection by their tech completely not doing a step of the process. We tell them to go fix it, they say "no, you have to fill this form out first", which would charge the customer. We say "no, you fucked up go fix it," they say, "no, you have to fill out this other form first", which would charge our company. We say, "no, seriously, you fucked up. go fucking fix it at no charge to us or the customer," and they say "well you see, this is the standard process now as of 1 December and you got an email about it so no." And I go FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. and then place the second form that they asked for and we'd better not get fucking charged for it.

Fighting with the same vendor (surprise surprise) because they are incapable of critical thinking skills. If you start a new process, don't inform us, we figure it out on our own, jump into the process and then ask for clarifications of situations outside of the process that haven't been thought of, or covered, DON'T fucking respond to us and say 'you should be following the process'.

Seriously.

Don't set up a spreadsheet you're going to send to us weekly, forget to send it to us, finally send it to us when we ask your third tier manager about what the fuck is going on, and then constantly refer to that spreadsheet for any queries. Especially when the order in question isn't on the fucking spreadsheet because it was placed with you after the spreadsheet was fucking generated.

Me: Can we have an update about this? customer is advising X
    Them: Please refer to your spreadsheet for all information regarding these types of orders.
    Me: This order is not in the spreadsheet, it's too new.
    Them: Well of course it's not in the spreadsheet, this order was created after the spreadsheet was generated.
    Me: ... i am going to kill you through the computer screen

And then, on top of all of this, this SAME VENDOR came into the office today to bring us Pizza and beer as a "thanks for working with us all year" thing. And they even managed to screw THAT up.

They ask, which of these 3 companies would you like pizza from? We all unanimously say "pizza C! It's the best pizza!" So they go and order from Pizza company A. Which has shit pizza, strange combinations and is just all around gross (I'm likely to be lynched and not welcome as a Kiwi for saying that but ohwell it's true). And then on top of that, they didn't order a single pizza for our vegetarian people. Which is maybe 1/4 of the people who were being given pizza. No. They got potato wedges.

Just.

FUCK. THIS. DAY.

Oh, why dont' we get another vendor? Because we can't. They are the only ones in the majority of the country and if we have any hope of actually surpassing or challenging the big companies, we have to use this vendor.

But, on a positive note, our company is tracking on budget, and hey, our ARPU and EBITDA look great (I dont know what the fuck those are, stop talking in acronyms and synergy and not making any sense, I have work to do you big suit who couldn't even be bothered to introduce yourself to us when you were hired by our corporate masters).

*deeeeep breath*

And then I was making dinner and the pot slipped and I ended up spilling like half the pasta into the sink because it was either that or spill it on myself and just.... I want chocolate.

edited December 2014
    Damn that definitely sounds like a full day. :(

Mine got really sort of awkward near the end today. I'd been helping a...I'm not sure I can call him a friend...more of an enthusiast I met at a nearby gun range with general gunsmithing questions since I dabble with it in my spare time. He sort of latched on to me like a lamprey and has been calling me at odd hours of the day (like hey man it's 8:00pm, lets go to that indoor range at the sketchy part of town that doesn't close till 10pm!) and I have now since discovered has some severe anxiety addhd issues. Like stuttering himself into silence, panicking about talking about buying a gun for himself but he really wants one, then wanting more gun advice and having mini panic attacks while I try to explain to him different aspects of Gun A vs Gun B. Like...he will literally stop mid-sentence start hyperventillating, close his eyes and hold on to his pendant for a few seconds and then come back to the conversation. I have since found out that he's dealing with a mother who is terminal with cancer, an uncle who is yelling at him non-stop and has basically decided that the best therapy, is to get out of the house and frequent the gun range several times a week.....

I am at a loss for what to do with this guy. He's a nice enough guy don't get me wrong, but he's so desperate to escape his home situation and seems to have such severe anxiety issues and somehow sees me as a release to those issues, I don't know how to sort of distance myself from him and try to guide him to professional help. I basically want to communicate the gist of "Hey man, I'm just trying to help you install a stock and explain caliber differences, I'm not a therapist" vibe without coming across as a total douchcanoe. I don't mind going to the range with him, but I have severe reservations of introducing him to my friends or co-workers...just...yeah....awkward all around. :( The poor guy needs help, and I'm the last person who would know what to do with this sort of thing.

Edited for phrasing.

Thegreatcow on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    and I mean.

I just want to be in a good mood.

But i can't even seem to enjoy the yummy food that I cooked for dinner. Simply because of how grumpy I am.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I went to a job "audition" the other day as an intern for a legal startup. Three hours doing small tasks and ended up not getting it. Partner told me that I was his no. 1 choice but that the other partner would rather have someone else. Those 25$/hour would have been a nice supplement.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I've worked 10 years at a job I despise but will take care of me for the rest of my life provided I manage to not be a fuck up. Is this typical/desirable?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Got about 4 hours sleep last night, am now getting my pre-employment blood tests for my permanent contract done. I'm definitely going to faint.

Bugger.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Not even 7am and I've already encountered a Mr. Reamer and a Mr. Wedlock. Honorable mention goes to Mrs. Magboo because it's a silly sounding name and I am not averse to laughing at things a toddler would laugh at.

edited December 2014
    Oh, this also happened about half an hour ago:

I have a drink mix I use to spoil myself while hydrating and it's a really distinct blue color. It also foams up a bit when you shake it to get it mixed properly. A woman I have passed in the cafeteria before looks at my beverage with wide eyes and says ...

"Ummm, what is that?"

"Windex!"

*pats stomach*

"Keeps me regular!"

Darth Waiter on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Got about 4 hours sleep last night, am now getting my pre-employment blood tests for my permanent contract done. I'm definitely going to faint.

Bugger.

Just show up with a 1 quart bag of your blood. They'll be impressed at how much of a go getter you are.

• Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    She didn't even take any in the end. Just pulled up my old records, told me I'm not actually immune to loads of stuff and to send the other hospital those records and I'll get free booster shots!

Just a pity it took up my entire morning...

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Just wanted to say that I read the last page or two of the old thread at lunch this morning and felt a lot better about my prospects. I was always afraid to go back to school at 30 because I felt like I missed the boat on getting a career going in something I find interesting, and the stuff on those last couple pages gave me some hope that I can build up for something better. I'm going to be looking into courses I can take at my local community colleges (or the local campus for the upstate's big tech school) today and through the holiday weekend.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Every workplace has one of these. If you don't know who it is at yours, it's you.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    And then, on top of all of this, this SAME VENDOR came into the office today to bring us Pizza and beer as a "thanks for working with us all year" thing. And they even managed to screw THAT up.

They ask, which of these 3 companies would you like pizza from? We all unanimously say "pizza C! It's the best pizza!" So they go and order from Pizza company A. Which has shit pizza, strange combinations and is just all around gross (I'm likely to be lynched and not welcome as a Kiwi for saying that but ohwell it's true). And then on top of that, they didn't order a single pizza for our vegetarian people. Which is maybe 1/4 of the people who were being given pizza. No. They got potato wedges.

"Wait. Alfredo's Pizza Cafe? Or Pizza by Alfredo?"

kaceyp on
    Fettucini Leonardo.

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I got to clean up 18 bottles of Svedka Vodka and one bottle of Christian Brothers Brandy. I think it's brandy.

Someone who stocked up the display never put any bottles in the bottom box and it collapsed.

Those fumes, and that headache...

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    Oh God in Heaven, that is ... just ...

Fuckin' wow.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    So you guys may be aware that I have switched careers and am now working in IT. Namely internal stuff for our company - we handle the AD, and computer management and repairs and software and security... etc etc. I was hired to be the go-to for Macs as they become a standard offering to employees but I do a lot of other stuff too.

I'm sure this is old hat to those of you who have been in IT for years but I've finally gone ahead and created a special folder in my inbox to preserve the real gems we get in our ticketing system.

For instance, the old dude yesterday who is a member of too many UNIX groups but wants to be removed from one that he just isn't a member of. When I asked if he'd recently logged out of his sessions at all, he ignored me. I sent him a screen cap of the list of groups to which he actually belongs and asked him to choose the one that he would like to be removed from, and he ignored that. I also asked how he was generating the list of groups to which he belongs, to which he responded: "I ran the linux command "groups" in a terminal. Is there any other way?"

I'm beginning to understand the jokes people make about linux users.

Oh, or the ticket filed this morning with the following content:
    I would like for you to adjust the heat up again for me please. I borrowed [Dude's] desk clock that has a room temperature sensor in it. His office was comfortable at 74.6 degrees. I’ve let the temp sensor sit in my office most of the day now and it has stabilized around 72 – 72.4 degrees. It is still a bit too cold in my office for me. I am having to wear my coat and button it up all the way.

Right, into my new Elegance & Class subfolder you go!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Awwww guys. My two library paras got me presents because they like me as their boss!

n5tmf7a6xso9.jpg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Tell me.

Tell me where to buy that.

NOW.

easysig2.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    AH.

YES DO WANT.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I NEED MY OFFICE AT 73.8, NOT 73.6. DO YOU THINK ME SOME SORT OF BARBARIAN, JEEVES?

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Hallmark.

OOS online.

Darth-Vader-Nooooo.jpg

easysig2.jpg
    Yeah it came in a Hallmark box.

This discussion has been closed.