As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Was that 100 already?

Oh well, this one'll be gone in about an hour anyway.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Wait, so the real Christmas sale has started now? Something other than that Holiday Auction thing?

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    New thread for sale, not necessarily for hitting 100.

steam_sig.png
  • krackqkrackq Registered User regular
    And so it begins!

steam_sig.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    dLB1cpg.png

All images lovingly stolen from Valve because I'm terrible at photoshop

So you own a lot of games. But they're just sitting there in your backlog, doing nothing for you. Do you know what you need?

Steam Trading Cards

So you've got that game that you want to get, but are just a dollar short in your Steam Wallet and can't bring yourself to pull out the credit card. Do you know what you need?

Steam Trading Cards

So you like the Steam Community, but think your profile is kinda drab. Do you know what you need?

Steam. Trading. Cards.

About a year and a half ago, Valve introduce this little meta-game into the Steam Community called Steam Trading Cards, which has since been added to Literally thousands of games. In order to get your cards, you need to play your games - crazy concept for people in this thread, I know. As you play the game, cards will periodically appear in your inventory until you've gotten all drops available for that game - always half of a complete set. Free to Play games work a little differently, where you get 1 drop every $9 USD (appx) spent in the game.
    02.png?v=3

So now you've got your cards, the question is what to do with them. Well, there's three main options:
    • Sell them on the market
    • Build a full set of cards
    • Trade/gift them with/to friends

The market works like a stock market - you'll put yours up for sale at whatever price you're looking for, and buyers can list the prices they're interested in buying cards at. There's even historical data for the card available on the card's page if you check before listing, so don't just list it for 3 cents, or whatever the current cheapest one is. Maybe you can make more of a profit!
    kYPGiji.png

d67yQvS.png

If you want to build a full set, you just do the same, but in reverse! Click the buy button, choose the amount you want to pay for the card, and then let the buy order sit until a match can be found. If one already exists, you'll get it immediately, or if you choose a price cheaper than what's listed, you'll get it when someone lists it. Higher prices take priority in the queue, so if you make one for 10 cents, and there's another buy order for 15 cents, if a card is listed for 10 cents, the 15 cent listing will take priority. And obviously, you've got to already have the money in your wallet in order for the order to take place.

Once you've got that set built, you can go and craft a badge. Go to the "Badges" page under your profile dropdown, and you should see something like this:
    EFKnKt9.png

Clicking the "ready" button will cause a silly little animation to play, and you'll be rewarded with a badge. Badges are little bling for your profile to show that you've crafted a badge.
    03.png?v=4

Each badge can be leveled up to level 5 (so 5 complete sets of cards), with the exception of foil badges, which can only be crafted once. Foil badges are crafted from foil cards, which drop in place of normal cards approximately 1% of the time.

In addition to your badges, you'll get emoticons, coupons, and profile backgrounds for the game in question.
    07.png?v=306.png?v=2

Truthfully, emoticons are mostly useless because the messenger window is so tiny, although there's a few which are worthwhile. Coupons can be hit or miss - their value varies from 25% or so at the low end to as much as 90% (although those are obviously more rare), but tend to be on the sorts of games which are on the weeklong deals. It's rare to get a coupon for a real AAA game. That being said, they are discounts, and discounts are always nice. Backgrounds, on the other hand, can be applied to your profile, and some of those are simply excellent artwork.
    52b78da6ab5602292e43928bb3822d892c7c7c0a.jpg

39390fed1f87c46ae85017ffbcd13ab8fa4af6f6.jpg

[img][/img]

Also, each card (if you click on them) has much more detailed artwork themselves, and once you've crafted a badge, you can access that artwork regardless of whether or not you have the card. Some of these are super nice!
    7d60caf3b9e443ee8459e3f1a38cdb894be8d9d6.jpg

218a3d636ae52473b61bde10d0c2c2766d6fc35e.jpg

tBRr69D.jpg

In addition to this, you get 100 XP. That's right, Steam itself is a game now! As you gain experience points, your Steam account will level up. Levels 0-10 cost 100XP per level, 11-20 cost 200XP, and so on and so forth. Every 10 levels, you get 5 more spots on your friends list added, and the ability to add new sections to your profile.
    09.png?v=2

10.png?v=2

And finally, being higher level increases your chances of getting booster packs. Once you've gotten all card drops for a given game, any time anyone crafts a badge, a booster pack is generated and given to someone, somewhere in the world who is eligible for that game. Booster packs can be sold like items, or opened to get 3 cards (which could include foils, but once more only 1% odds). At level 10 you get a 20% boost to your chances, level 20 a 40% boost, and so on and so forth. So as you level up, you'll get booster packs much more frequently.

Now, buying cards isn't the only way to get cards. You can trade them, too!

If you go to the badge page for a badge you're looking for, and scroll below the cards, there will be a listing of people on your friends list who have the cards you're missing.
    qMDt60c.png

You can then submit a trade or send a message to any of them to see what they'd want. And if none of your friends have cards, there's a number of places you can go to try to find trades, which will save you money in the long run, since Valve and the developer don't take their cut of the transaction of buying a card.
    Steam Gems

360fx360f

But now you've got all these emoticons and backgrounds which you don't want, but you don't necessarily want to sell. Well, you can turn them into gems! In your inventory, there should be a numerical amount of how many gems your items are worth - they vary from very low numbers to 100 gems, based off of prevalence in the market. Foil cards are the only items that can go for over 100 gems, as they're always 10x the value of normal cards. The more common an item is in the market, the more gems they're worth. These values were set in the Holiday 2014 sale, and may be rebalanced at some point. Why turn items into gems? Well, you can use gems to craft booster packs! These booster packs can be opened for more cards (and an additional shot at a foil), or sold on the marketplace, presumably for fun and profit.
    But what about special sales?

2013-12-19_18-45-06.jpg

Well, it will change from sale to sale, so I'll refrain from giving specific advice. However, the following rules seem to be the standards anymore
    • There will be special badges for the sale, with 10 cards per level
    • The badge can be leveled up infinitely, including the foil badge. Some of these go up STUPID high. For example, here is the Holiday Sale 2013 badge for level 2000+: e041163b0c4d5cba61fb54612973612636cdd970.png
    • You will get one card for every set of other cards you craft, in place of coupons
    • You will get one card for every $10 you spend in the store.
    • You will get one card for per day when you vote in the User Choice poll (number of times will vary depending on number of polls per day).
    • Cards will expire one day after the sale ends, so they must be sold or crafted by then, or they will disappear.
    • In some sales (NOT the Winter 2014 sale), you will get some bonus item for a free to play game which can be redeemed for your account or sold if you craft a sale badge, 3 items if it's a foil.

This past summer, there was another metagame where everyone was split into teams, so it was potentially better to hold onto your cards. This past holiday, there was an auction prior to the sale starting, so crafting early would have been a benefit as you'd have more items to make more gems to bid. Holiday 2013, there was just items and some of them were quire rare and valuable, so crafting as soon as possible was the best option. I'd recommend taking a stance of "wait and see," particularly for the first morning of the sale - Steam gets hammered at the start of the sale, and it's not uncommon for item drops to get screwed up if you craft around update (10am PST). Either commit to being early, or wait until the rush has passed.

So that's the long and short of it. If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me. Some other resources for you to check out:

Jragghen on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Tell me what to vote for, Steam Thread.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So, wait, will the gem thing and the booster pack crafting persist for all time now, or is it limited time only?

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Wait, so the real Christmas sale has started now? Something other than that Holiday Auction thing?

503 Unavailable, so yep, sale is on.

Mashing F5 fixes error 503. But we all have to do it at the same time! Ready? 3, 2, 1...

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hack n slash, because the others dont interest me at all.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    "The green flag drops! Let the carnage... BEGIN!"

steam_sig-400.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The full-sized version is much better, so click here
    baBPx1Y.jpg

full-sized version

YL9WnCY.png
    What're the choices to vote for?

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    So I guess there's no meta game at all, just a special set of Holiday cards? That's a disappointment.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    A space on the homepage dedicated to your wishlist? Dirty pool, old man! I like it.

• DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    A card drops for every vote now so getting enough for a badge shouldn't be too much trouble.

Edit: But it looks like there's only one vote a day now :(

DaxterMax on
    Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Rejoice! For the sale finally begins!
    Buy! For the happiness it brings!

Dread! For text, tears are shed!
    Pain! For eyes strained, we read!

Wait! Taking it nice and slow!
    Pleading! For too quickly it'll grow!

Now! Have fun and buy for a while!
    For me! 2 or 3 games, keep my guile!
    With heart! Happy winter sale! WITH A SMILE!!!
    :D

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
    Madican wrote: »

Hack N Slash, Neverending Nightmares or a pitiful discount on Amazing Spiderman 2

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    A card drops for every vote now so getting enough for a badge shouldn't be too much trouble.

The votes are only once every 24 hours instead of every 8. A lot less stressful in case you miss a vote due to life.

Now the real question: can I finally craft my badgers?

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    @Bobkins Flymo, should someone add the charity drive stuffs to the OP or something? And, should we use this thread for that stuffs still?

Edit: Christ, damn my weak eyes. Or you'd added it after I posted this?

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Hack N Slash, Neverending Nightmares or a pitiful discount on Amazing Spiderman 2

Hack N Slash then when I get home.

Also Endless Legends Emperor upgrade is little over $5. What does it add? Haven't bought EL yet but I'm mulling it over and generally like getting the "full" version of games.

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    A space on the homepage dedicated to your wishlist? Dirty pool, old man! I like it.

Yeah that's super low.

GabeN wants all my dollars and he's trying to make it easier for me to give it to him

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, Metal Gear is a franchise sale so Metal Gear Rising is currently 80% off. All I can say to that is

RULES OF NAAAAATUUUUUUURE

• striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular

Valve seems to have preemptive declared a winner already:)
    cuosQJf.png

steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I had hoped the Dark Souls 2 DLC would be on sale, but it looks like it's just the base game.

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Rocksmith 2014 DLC packs only 25% off? I think that just saved my Gale budget from getting blown in the first day.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    @Bobkins Flymo, should someone add the charity drive stuffs to the OP or something? And, should we use this thread for that stuffs still?
    This OP is literally the former thread's OP but with some sale stuff added to the top.

The drive will proceed as normal for three more days.

YL9WnCY.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    DaxterMax wrote: »

The votes are only once every 24 hours instead of every 8. A lot less stressful in case you miss a vote due to life.

Steam is struggling. I'd recommend holding off on any crafting or badging until it gets to an even keel.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • jogernautjogernaut BisonopolisRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be a metagame for crafting badges.

steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    ...why did I buy Duck Dynasty last night? It's 50% off today!

@CorriganX, you better squeeze every ounce of stream you got in you for the kids on this one.

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Isn't DS2 getting some graphical makeover soon which will be an up charge?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
    striderjg wrote: »

Valve seems to have preemptive declared a winner already:)
    cuosQJf.png

I think that's to show the current forerunner?

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Speed Runners flash sale.

Go get it, so I can race you in 2d mario kart.

Taramoor wrote: »
    So, wait, will the gem thing and the booster pack crafting persist for all time now, or is it limited time only?

Booster pack creator is persistent, looks like.

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    7487df97ab2d7a503a849fd381a9cc3957e22bccb452d699c5d8e864f9b6d371.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Please don't let Neverending Boredom win.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    State of Decay for 75% off in the very first round?

Oh, Newell. You know how to make me hurt, don't you?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Bobkins Flymo, should someone add the charity drive stuffs to the OP or something? And, should we use this thread for that stuffs still?
    This OP is literally the former thread's OP but with some sale stuff added to the top.

The drive will proceed as normal for three more days.

Must need more coffee or something, sheesh.

camo_sig2.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Still can't access the store to see the sales.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    Interesting article on the future of Larian post Divinity OS.

http://www.lar.net/2014/12/18/leaked-the-larian-plans-for-20152016-and-beyond/#more-1002

TLDR, lots of tweaks coming to Divinity, they've expanded their studio to Canada, and they're making 2 more RPGs in the Divinity OS engine.

I was quite psyched to seem them win GameSpot's GOTY.

So yeah, no special metagame for the cards. So I COULD have just done them all and gotten TONS more gems, but oh well.

I won like 20-something auctions. That's enough.

Now I can turn them into gems to get more BOOSTERS and turn BOOSTERS into CARDS or MONEY. :D

This discussion has been closed.