As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things that make your brain tingle [ASMR/ oddly satisfying/ relaxing stuff] thread

beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
edited December 2014 in Social Entropy++
So...some of you have probably heard of this. especially if you frequent reddit. it's also picked up quite a bit of press in the past year.
last year NPR did a segment on ASMR - Autonomous sensory meridian response

it's a somewhat rare thing (10% of the population have it apparently) where certain stimuli give you a euphoric sensation and a distinct tingling feeling in the back of your head. most people who don't have it assume it's something sexual or fetishized which it's not. the sensation is more hypnotic/calming than anything.

i've had this since i was very little and i always just thought i was weird. Since discovering what it is, i've used it to basically lull myself to sleep at night. I watch some videos of people carefully doing things with their hands and within seconds i'm basically out cold. it's incredible.

there are all sorts of things that can trigger this. it's primarily sounds though many people are triggered by visual things as well
so for instance, one of the biggest triggers I have is people bagging groceries. Particularly in paper bags. Also unboxing videos particularly if no one is talking.

common triggers are:

Bob Ross:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=8HfA9K7SL5M

whispering/soft voices/accents/foreign language:
http://youtu.be/WDtYTwA6BEE

scratching/tapping/crinkling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE8omA3_3yc

page turning
https://youtube.com/watch?v=KRkq_ZSb3U8

close personal attention/medical examinations
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ats8-tVfz28&index=28&list=UUKe9F6wb8fCGj5oqEzeFCHQ

careful concentration on a task/artisan videos
https://youtube.com/watch?v=7tt7NBIVeMY&t=21s

unboxings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q96NeclcdpM&list=PLmyd_SwcR_yMubEI2z262f5arK0eDjw65&index=3

and there are basically two major categories. Unintentional which is what Bob Ross is. Bob Ross isn't trying to trigger ASMR, he just sort of does with his soothing voice and careful brush strokes
Intentional are done by people who call themselves ASMRtists. they make videos with the direct intention of triggering a response.

Something that's fairly similar for those who don't actually have this thing is oddly satisfying which there is also a subreddit dedicated to
these are things that for whatever reason just feel really nice to watch
they satisfy the ocd in most people:

Oddly satisfying:

when the wrapping paper lines up:
oP0cgY1.jpg

and oh my god this:
mhzilsz.gif

I usually go to reddit for my asmrs but the community is bloody massive at this point and it's hard to sift through.
so i'm bringing the asmrs/oddly satisfyings here where we can share them/talk about how awesome it is (bogey approved thread... though he had no idea what it was i was talking about so maybe he'll regret this.)

this can also just be about things that you find generally soothing/satisfying/helpful for sleeping or relaxing. it's a hectic time of year, we can all use things that calm us down/help us sleep

beavotron on

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    I've been experiencing this since I was just a kid, learned what it was a few years ago. Never realized it wasn't something EVERYONE experienced. My first experience was The Joy of Painting, loved it. In fact, last night I found out that PBS still airs it at the wee hours, so I DVR'd that shit as hard as I could.

YouTube is a great resource, and I'm glad this is starting to get more attention because I'd love for someone to actually conduct a study, try to figure out what exactly causes it and why.

I'm at work so I can't post links but YouTube's GentleWhispering, HeatherFeather, and QueenofSerene are my three favorites and put out the most consistently triggering content for me.

I'm usually a sounds kinda guy - accents and foreign languages (especially Chinese, Chinese GETS me), but oddly enough I've had a few visual triggers today, most notably a coworker carrying her lunch carefully across the break room.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Literally all I know about this is how intensely creepy the YouTube videos of dudes doing this are

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It works or whatever for me (personally I think it's just a weird reflex for goosebumps localized to your scalp) but I'm not going to deny how weird/creepy it looks to outsiders.

But it's actually completely harmless if just a bit weird.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    yeah it can be a lot
    i tend to prefer unintentional videos like bob ross.

or videos of people speaking foreign languages because then it doesn't feel quite so creepy

a lot of the controversy behind it also comes from the fact that a handful of ASMRists have a tendency to sexualize it quite a bit. as far as i know they're fairly open about it
    there are of course people who think of it as a sexual thing...there are some people who think of cheese as a sexual thing so what can you do.

personal favorite unintentional videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM1pBcjrx_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZhSyxTiLE0

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    ASMR or otherwise, fuck yes Bob Ross

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know why, but Dan Aykroyd talking about magic skulls and why he's using that as an excuse to sell vodka is weirdly soothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKqjIv91Zx8

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    ASMR is completely alien to my experience
    and so is fascinating
    but sticking my hands in big bucket of bb's or steel balls used in ball bearings is somehow soothing

Tam on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Relaxing stuff actively stresses me out

Quiet, meditative things; ASMR stuff; it makes me very anxious

I have no idea why

• Options
    Pooro what about the sound of a thunderstorm

• Options
    pooro you're not the only one. i have a coworker who gets really on edge by this stuff. it's creates the opposite effect for him.
    i am so interested in the science behind why it happens for some and can do the opposite for others but because it's mostly anecdotal and people have only been putting a name to it for the past few years, any real research is hard to find
    a bunch of universities have been attempting research on it recently. they're constantly asking for people to join their trials in the subreddit.

it's fun to try to find references to it in pop culture
    amelie for instance. the little pleasures she describes in the beginning seem suspiciously like asmr/oddly satisfying type things.

• Options
    Relaxing stuff actively stresses me out

Quiet, meditative things; ASMR stuff; it makes me very anxious

I have no idea why

I don't know but you also said that hangovers relax you and make you feel mellow so my working theory is you're an alien

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Tam wrote: »

No particularly noticeable effect one way or the other. I tend to be concerned more with whether or not I have to go out in it.

The only thing that ever relaxes me and slows me down, and this is going to sound completely insane, is a hangover. My hangovers are never the vomity/headachey kinds - mine just make my head feel filled with cotton, and cause me to be a little more satisfied with simple pleasures, a little more languid, a little more content.

I think the main takeaway from all of this is that the wiring in my brain is totally batshit

Edit: hahaha, I've apparently discussed this before

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    and also yes most people who don't have it think i'm basically a serial killer for watching these videos. my boyfriend has just grown to accept that when i go to bed i'm probably going to be watching a soft spoken Japanese girl sort through office supplies first. and he...he seems cool with it.

edit: with nice fingernails. nice fingernails are a mega trigger.

beavotron on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh god I am totally going to use this thread as a resource for possible relaxing and soothing whatsits. Because I am a wigger-outer-er

Like tam I don't get the asmr thing but there is something really great about plunging your hands into like a bin of dry rice or grains.

• Options

No particularly noticeable effect one way or the other. I tend to be concerned more with whether or not I have to go out in it.

The only thing that ever relaxes me and slows me down, and this is going to sound completely insane, is a hangover. My hangovers are never the vomity/headachey kinds - mine just make my head feel filled with cotton, and cause me to be a little more satisfied with simple pleasures, a little more languid, a little more content.

I think the main takeaway from all of this is that the wiring in my brain is totally batshit

I ghosted you to describing your own freakiness

what does this mean

• Options
    edited December 2014
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh god I am totally going to use this thread as a resource for possible relaxing and soothing whatsits. Because I am a wigger-outer-er

Like tam I don't get the asmr thing but there is something really great about plunging your hands into like a bin of dry rice or grains.

You should try a hangover

I ghosted you to describing your own freakiness

what does this mean

Nothing good, I'd wager

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »

Oh deffo, grains work too

but the effect of 4mm steel or copper is amazing

• Options

Edit: hahaha, I've apparently discussed this before

Oh wow me too
    Not hangovers, those are awful. But really bad asthma or pneumonia, is almost pleasant. Because I can finally tell my brain to de-prioritize basically everything and just concentrate on breathing, or trying to have a shower, or making tea

Being sick is meditation for the incurably neurotic.

• Options
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Oh! And watching intricate/precisely timed machinery work. CNC machines, assembly machines, etc.
    How It's Made is basically crack to me

edit: er, well, actually, I guess the exact opposite of crack in immediate effect

Tam on
  • Options
    My boss has been known to spend upwards of three hours standing in one spot watching the new CNc milling machine

I mean yes someone needs to be there in case, but also it's like crack to him

• Options
    the entire series How it's Made is one big oddly satisfying
    it's not ASMR triggering
    i just think it's satisfying to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbnBJGOEPMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQfeCrU-7LA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-b2q3jQ414

• Options
    It's the same with any master craftsman too
    Watching someone make something with a sureness that transcends confidence is so completely hypnotic
    I'd say the precision of a CNC machine is akin to that

When videos of those end, I feel like I'm coming out of a daze
    beavotron wrote: »

beavo I had to go downstairs to the pantry and shove my hands into both big sacks of rice we have

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I can zone out for ages watching giant machines. Like theme park rides, moving bridges, cranes, big engines, etc. Bigger the better.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRX7oYCwHI
    mister rogers + machines = pure bliss.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    unboxing videos are great asmr for me

also this lady rocks

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhispersUnicorn

good setup and voice

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    When I was younger I used to get extremely weirded out by ASMR stuff, but in the last few years I've become really receptive to visual stuff.

Show me a video of a vigorous head massage and I'm droolsville.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    a box of crayons or pencils is also a great trigger as well

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Stringed instruments being played.

Like all kinds of them.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

http://youtu.be/WHGXrbp_4zo

I can't go on these kinds of rides. Rollercoasters are fine, but anything which just spins or swings makes me hurl. Whenever I go to a park with mates I am more than happy to just spectate though. Watching gigantic machines move makes me feel a kind of rush while also really zen. I dunno what it is.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    When I was younger I used to get extremely weirded out by ASMR stuff, but in the last few years I've become really receptive to visual stuff.

Show me a video of a vigorous head massage and I'm droolsville.

Ahhhhh head massages

I despise having my head massaged or touched. Triggers my flight-or-fight reflex like whoa.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I have an uncontrollable instinct to get the fuck away from anyone who touches my head or neck.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNn-iUT6xh4

Now listen to Michelle Kwan play Metallica's One on a Guzheng

That into is really cool, power chords don't translate well though so the later parts aren't as good.

I dunno what it is but acoustic stringed instruments in particular always make my head feel all warm and tingly. Some electric ones too but usually on a clean tone, though obviously as a metal fan I also enjoy distortion just not the same way.

• Options

I guess I have sort of a weird thing like this

Which some people might think is gross so spoiler
    occasionally when I'm under a lot of stress I find watching people relieve some sort of pressure (subungual hematoma, zit, whatever) to be super soothing

• Options

I guess I have sort of a weird thing like this

Which some people might think is gross so spoiler
    occasionally when I'm under a lot of stress I find watching people relieve some sort of pressure (subungual hematoma, zit, whatever) to be super soothing

not weird at all i love those. i find waaaay more people who are into that than who have asmr responses.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I also hate being touched on the head but the days when people would just randomly touch my neck or head have been over for me since high school

Does it still happen to you guys

• Options
    When you shave your head people often like to touch it I find.

It's so weird.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    When I get my tension headaches or migraines, my best cure is a warm shower, lights dimmed, head bowed and just the right amount of water pressure on just the right spot on my neck. I have to be sitting in the shower, the dizziness from even leaning against the wall is too much to focus on the pressure and my equilibrium is just off.

As far as what could be considered ASMR and soothing to me, it has to be Johnny Cash. There's a certain defined rhthym to his work, fast or slow, that I can measure with my heartbeat and my breath. He also has this weird quality for me where he's just enough out-of-key that his voice stands out from the instrumentation. His voice is like my grandfather's and it feels safe and comforting.

Finally, watching someone else play a video game will knock me the hell out if I'm not careful, especially if they're competent and in-the-zone. The repetitive sounds of success from the game and silence from the player is like a whole bottle of Nyquil at once.