As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DmC: Devil May Cry - Ignore the OP/outrage, it's pretty damn good.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    You know you guys got me thinking. How bad/good are the current DMC PC ports? DmC was sooo soo fine but I could use another action game for now.

DMC4 is great, DMC3 is bad.

Let's be reasonable here.

DMC3 has issues, but it's not bad. At least, it's not a horrifying stealthy torpedo of suck like DMC2.

The PC ports, not the games themselves.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    DMC3 gave us motorcycle nunchucks and Pool-table Fu.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh man, I doubt it ever went into Dark Souls hard, but I recall being frustrated MANY times with the original DMC3 release. It definitely wasn't for the faint of heart.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    I like difficult games, but I'd say DMC3s main weakness design wise is the difficulty curve. It's not quite ninja gaiden but no one sane is supposed to have a smooth gaming experience with level 3. I like difficulty in these kinds of games but the start of DMC3 was brutal and should have been more inclusive towards new players. For me the game was perfect difficulty wise after Cerberus*, but that level and boss fight is ridiculously hard for someone who has just started and has pretty much no powerups.

Also the way DMC1 made you earn easy mode was glorious.

*And I was a previous DMC player so anyone who wasn't would get crushed. There should be a "normal/hard" selection at the start like DMC4, except make the hard choice harder because DMC4 was quite a bit too easy even a few levels in...

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Saurian Dash.
    He wrote the bayonetta official game guide. Had an interview with platinum games about it. http://platinumgames.com/2014/05/19/interview-with-saurian-dash-part-1/
    He knows what he's talking about. When I eventually get the wonderful 101 I will be going straight to his system breakdown guides.

Can you link this DmC thing please? Google seems to be failing me.

Nope. I've been chatting with him about Bayonetta 2 and he was talking about DmC at one point. I can't link it. It was a rhetorical thing, I don't think he's actually done anything on DmC cos you see he hates it.

I can try to paraphrase.

He explained the concept of "bandaids" which are clumsy stripped down changes made to a game to overcome a design flaw. An example is the vanquish melee system. The game used to have a strong melee system without the instant overheat mechanics but it got changed because Sega didn't like the idea.
    He mentioned several examples from DmC as well as stuff he generally didn't like. For example the sound design, all the enemies have similar sound tells. It makes it difficult to tell what is actually going on. You can't hear exactly which monster is attacking because they are all the same.
    Another one is weapon design, he said at least one weapon is designed for only one situation and is basically useless in others. I don't know which weapon, he didn't say.
    That's just some examples.
    He said he was involved in the development of it in some capacity and it didn't sound like he was happy about how that panned out.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    hacksword wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    You know you guys got me thinking. How bad/good are the current DMC PC ports? DmC was sooo soo fine but I could use another action game for now.

DMC4 is great, DMC3 is bad.

Could you expand a bit on why DMC3 is bad? Bad performance, no controller support, low resolutions, etc.

All of the above.

BUT!
    Isn't there a mod out that makes PC DMC3 awesome?

Yes there is. It fixes a lot of issues, adds 360 controller support, improves the visuals and performance, and adds some really awesome gameplay features.

http://www.nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/?

And if you just want the fixes the gameplay stuff can be turned off.

So... how well does that mod work? I mean, are we talking "It's still an awful port, but at least it looks pretty and you can just about use a 360 controller" or "Blows the PS2 version out of the water, makes the PC version the definitive DMC3"?
    Do you want to be able to play DMC3 with the ability to switch styles on the fly with the dpad like in DMC4?

Of course you do.

That's one of the things that mod does.

It's pretty awesome.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Vergil gets quicksilver.

Think about that for a second.

He gets to stop time.

"This should be fun."

Also the mod cleans up the games visual issues and adds controller support.

Think "all my fantasies have come true".
    That's this mod.

Re difficulty, I can't really comment on DMC3 because you see the original european release was my first high quality character action game of this type.

It was my first impression and hence shaped all my future expectations.

I jumped in the deep end and it had sharks.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Also the way DMC1 made you earn easy mode was glorious.

215522719_JLCCq-L-2.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The game used to have a strong melee system without the instant overheat mechanics but it got changed because Sega didn't like the idea.
    Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
    yyyyyyoooooooooooooouuuuuuuu
    Seeeeeeeeegaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*explodes*

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I actually don't mind the change.
    The guns would have been completely superfluous. Most of them would have had no point. You'd just rocket kick everything since it could be started instantly and was stronger than a rocket. It would have been like god mode, completely broken.
    I love all the guns in Vanquish and learnt them all inside and out. I know how to use all the melee too. The game is perfectly fine as it is as far as I'm concerned.

Just to be clear, what Saur thinks of DmC and Bandaids and what not is not my opinion. I'm just relating what I can remember. I disagree with him about Vanquish and I haven't played DmC so I don't know.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Devil May Cry 4 is also getting re-released this summer.

Re-releases for everyone!
    Its a Special Edition. I'm far more excited about that, considering 3's SE added playable Vergil and Jester fights.
    The teaser for it is a picture of Vergil and his DMC3 actor saying "I need more power." Chances of Vergil are high.
    I'm pretty sure that was Nero's voice.
    Oh man, I doubt it ever went into Dark Souls hard, but I recall being frustrated MANY times with the original DMC3 release. It definitely wasn't for the faint of heart.
    DMD in DMC3 is much harder than anything Dark Souls can throw at you.

• Options
    The guns would have been completely superfluous. Most of them would have had no point. You'd just rocket kick everything since it could be started instantly and was stronger than a rocket. It would have been like god mode, completely broken.
    I love all the guns in Vanquish and learnt them all inside and out. I know how to use all the melee too. The game is perfectly fine as it is as far as I'm concerned.

Just to be clear, what Saur thinks of DmC and Bandaids and what not is not my opinion. I'm just relating what I can remember. I disagree with him about Vanquish and I haven't played DmC so I don't know.

Oh, just the kick did more damage, that's it. I was thinking of melee being stronger but in a way that was interesting. If it was just raw damage then no big deal.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Oh, just the kick did more damage, that's it. I was thinking of melee being stronger but in a way that was interesting. If it was just raw damage then no big deal.

I think I confused you. The kick already does that damage. It does huge damage. It's got nigh instant start up, travels huge distance, there'd be no reason to use anything else if you didn't overheat.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hey speak of the devil. DMC4 is on sale! 5$...it isn't even a daily.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Hey speak of the devil. DMC4 is on sale! 5$...it isn't even a daily.

Wait until DmC hits a daily sale, there's a good chance 3 and 4 will go lower at the same time.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So I didn't chime in on the latest DmC kerfuffle, huh. It's great. As reboots go, it's up there, one of the best. I liked the played straight characters, and the tone of the world worked for me. I know it got critiqued to hell and back, and coming out within weeks of a paragon of the genre like MGR:R did it no favours, but it's solid. It's a shame the hate machine went to work on it, because there's a lot of potential here and I could see a DmC2 being a classic, but alas.

Hopefully this remaster thing that's coming will give it a second chance. It's addressing some of the biggest complaints, and the rabble rabble has died down. C'mon internet. Lemme have this one. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

I think I confused you. The kick already does that damage. It does huge damage. It's got nigh instant start up, travels huge distance, there'd be no reason to use anything else if you didn't overheat.

if u didnt overheat the kick wouldnt exist in that form

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I gotta be straight.

I have no clue what the hell 'overheating' and the 'kick' mean in this context.

Like, is it some kind of devil power that possesses my graphics card and hits me in the dick?

Cause that sounds fairly close to what I picture.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Not going to lie.

One of the reasons I want a DmC2 is because the half-demon/half-angel thing is so fanfic-y that I can't help but love it.

• Options
    I gotta be straight.

I have no clue what the hell 'overheating' and the 'kick' mean in this context.

Like, is it some kind of devil power that possesses my graphics card and hits me in the dick?

Cause that sounds fairly close to what I picture.
    Play Vanquish. It's very good.
    Poseidon wrote: »
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Devil May Cry 4 is also getting re-released this summer.

Re-releases for everyone!
    Its a Special Edition. I'm far more excited about that, considering 3's SE added playable Vergil and Jester fights.
    The teaser for it is a picture of Vergil and his DMC3 actor saying "I need more power." Chances of Vergil are high.
    I'm pretty sure that was Nero's voice.
    That was definitely not Johnny Yong Bosch.

• Options

Confusing me isn't terribly hard to do. :rotate:

But yeah, that kick without the overheat would be crazy pants town. I didn't really get into learning Vanquish due to other games distracting me so I never really learned how to leverage that kick properly.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

Confusing me isn't terribly hard to do. :rotate:

But yeah, that kick without the overheat would be crazy pants town. I didn't really get into learning Vanquish due to other games distracting me so I never really learned how to leverage that kick properly.

It's actually quite simple
    Is there an enemy within sprinting distance of you?
    Is your suit currently overheating?
    If No, then kick that som-bitch to the moon.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I always felt like I was playing wrong if I wasn't constantly jetting around and styling all over the place so that's why I tended to avoid the melee. The instant overheat got in the way of that overall game plan.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014

if u didnt overheat the kick wouldnt exist in that form

Another reason I prefer the current melee.

It's a functional part of his toolset and it does its job perfectly.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I remember when I finally beat Challenge 6 the last blow I landed on Bogey was to put him into stun, slide up to him, and kick him so hard he exploded

I felt like I had just beaten up the devil

Best kick in video games

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I kinda want to go back and master Vanquish but time moves on and I can't spend days perfecting grenade shots in midair.

It's one of my all time favorite games though.

• Options
    Are...

Are we still talking about DmC? Cause I'm confused.

Not that that's hard to do.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    All this talk about DMC make me go back and buy the HD collection.

Which is good because I don't think I ever officially finished DMC3.

• Options
    What.

What.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Back when it first came out I borrowed it from a friend and never got a chance to finish it before he took it back.

Was also a broke teenager so couldn't afford to buy my own. Always been meaning to go back and play it but I always forget.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I couldn't beat 3 when it came out but the HD collection version of DMC3 just felt better. Not sure if they changed anything but the difficulty curve wasn't as bad.

Now DMC1...FUCK NIGHTMARE. God damn Jello Blob from Hell still is the reason I can't beat the first game.

• Options
    Back when it first came out I borrowed it from a friend and never got a chance to finish it before he took it back.

Was also a broke teenager so couldn't afford to buy my own. Always been meaning to go back and play it but I always forget.

You should have fought him for it mano a mano.

But seriously, fair enough.

Play it first.

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I kinda want to go back and master Vanquish but time moves on and I can't spend days perfecting grenade shots in midair.

Yeah, I fucking loved Vanquish. My big hangup had nothing to do with the game itself, I just fucking blow at console shooters. If Vanquish was on PC I'd have mastered the shit out of it but yeah, that whole gamepad thing really hosed me.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    You know what always kinda bothered me?

Why didn't they ever bring back the shadow kitty? To me, it was the iconic enemy of DMC1 and I really enjoyed fighting them.

steam_sig.png

• Options

I couldn't beat 3 when it came out but the HD collection version of DMC3 just felt better. Not sure if they changed anything but the difficulty curve wasn't as bad.

Now DMC1...FUCK NIGHTMARE. God damn Jello Blob from Hell still is the reason I can't beat the first game.

The HD version of DMC3 was based off of the special edition.

And if I remember correctly that version did have a few tweaks to make it a little easier on people.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Yeah, I fucking loved Vanquish. My big hangup had nothing to do with the game itself, I just fucking blow at console shooters. If Vanquish was on PC I'd have mastered the shit out of it but yeah, that whole gamepad thing really hosed me.

I'm the same but that didn't stop me.

I started at the default but by the time I finished playing I was running 99/92/65 in the sensitivity settings.

It helps that I get the shotgun.
    That shotgun and me.
    We are an item.

One thing that really bothers me now when I go back to DMC3 is the reversed side to side controls. I'm so used to controlling the camera! Left means left! Why is it going right? AAAAAAAGH *head explodes*

Morninglord on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

I'm the same but that didn't stop me.

I started at the default but by the time I finished playing I was running 99/92/65 in the sensitivity settings.

It helps that I get the shotgun.
    That shotgun and me.
    We are an item.

One thing that really bothers me now when I go back to DMC3 is the reversed side to side controls. I'm so used to controlling the camera! Left means left! Why is it going right? AAAAAAAGH *head explodes*

I beat DMC1 right before 2 came out, so that I could eventually play 2.

I don't remember much about 1 other than the iconic bits(Flock off featherface and the multiple boss fights, TRISH CRASHING A MOTORCYCLE INTO HIS OFFICE, Vergil 2 and putting it together that they were brothers,and twins, THE KNOCK on the giant molten lava spider and subsequent trash talk being a top 10 moment in gaming).

But I do remember one thing, clear as day.

BREAKING THE GAME IN HALF WITH THE SHOTGUN. I remember where you get it. I remember instantly thinking, "It's a SHOTGUN, it's BETTER." and using it for the first time and it knocking back in dramatic fasion the first enemy I used it on.

I was, in fact, dissapointed that the Shotgun never was a named weapon in the DMC series, because it's more iconic to me then Ebony and Ivory.

SHOTGUN FOREVER.

• Options
    My DMC 1 memory is farming Phantom for red orbs and buying up every god damn weapon/ability upgrade I could. That fight is pretty easy when you can just DT and spin into his face for a few seconds to kill him.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I never got far into DMC1. 3 was the first game in this genre that I played, and I just couldn't deal with the backwards button mapping and the camera when I went back to the first game. I meant to give it another try when the HD collection came out because it seems otherwise excellent, but never got around to picking it up.

One of these days.

• Options
    I never got far into DMC1. 3 was the first game in this genre that I played, and I just couldn't deal with the backwards button mapping and the camera when I went back to the first game. I meant to give it another try when the HD collection came out because it seems otherwise excellent, but never got around to picking it up.

One of these days.

Play the modded PC version and remap your stuff.

wWuzwvJ.png