As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things that make your brain tingle [ASMR/ oddly satisfying/ relaxing stuff] thread

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Oh my god that carpet gif is me

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Usagi wrote: »
    Oh my god that carpet gif is me
    You ever have like a microsuede couch sitting in the sun.

Then just kinda draw little patterns in the fabric with your fingers and erase them with your hands for like, HOURS.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'm really fascinated by sand mandalas

Never saw one created live, though

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It's not asmr, but every day at work I really like to take the dozen and a half pens and markers left at my desk by people and stand them on end in various shapes.
    It's extremely satisfying

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Please send all your head touchers my way.

Seriously, I'm like a freaking dog.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Please send all your head touchers my way.

Seriously, I'm like a freaking dog.

Out and about one night, I had a friend working on a knot underneath my shoulder blade when she started singing.

Because she sings in a symphony for a job.

Do you know what 'Feed the Birds, Tuppence a Bag' does to grown men?

I don't know either because I blacked out for six minutes.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    beavotron wrote: »
    yeah it can be a lot
    i tend to prefer unintentional videos like bob ross.

or videos of people speaking foreign languages because then it doesn't feel quite so creepy

a lot of the controversy behind it also comes from the fact that a handful of ASMRists have a tendency to sexualize it quite a bit. as far as i know they're fairly open about it
    there are of course people who think of it as a sexual thing...there are some people who think of cheese as a sexual thing so what can you do.

personal favorite unintentional videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM1pBcjrx_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZhSyxTiLE0

oh weird

there's something oddly pleasing about this

they've got this passion for what they're showing off but are super gentle and subdued about it

it's like listening to winnie the pooh quietly talking to himself excitedly about the honey he's about to enjoy

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh god I am totally going to use this thread as a resource for possible relaxing and soothing whatsits. Because I am a wigger-outer-er

Like tam I don't get the asmr thing but there is something really great about plunging your hands into like a bin of dry rice or grains.

oh god yeah

if i know there'll be no lingering feeling of moisture i'd love to just dunk my hands in stuff

working your hands through sand, or smooth gravel, or marbles, or rice, or something

i also love the feeling of having even weight placed over me, like when i was a kid sometimes i'd slip between the two mattresses of my bed and stretch my arms and legs out to lift the top mattress straight up

and then just ease it down slowly until i was just lying underneath the mattress with all its weight

it was wonderful the same way heavy duvets are

like now i'm wondering how it would feel to just be gently buried up to your neck in steel ball bearings

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My boss has been known to spend upwards of three hours standing in one spot watching the new CNc milling machine

I mean yes someone needs to be there in case, but also it's like crack to him

I can watch a five-axis CNC run for hours. Shit is fascinating.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh god I am totally going to use this thread as a resource for possible relaxing and soothing whatsits. Because I am a wigger-outer-er

Like tam I don't get the asmr thing but there is something really great about plunging your hands into like a bin of dry rice or grains.

oh god yeah

if i know there'll be no lingering feeling of moisture i'd love to just dunk my hands in stuff

working your hands through sand, or smooth gravel, or marbles, or rice, or something

i also love the feeling of having even weight placed over me, like when i was a kid sometimes i'd slip between the two mattresses of my bed and stretch my arms and legs out to lift the top mattress straight up

and then just ease it down slowly until i was just lying underneath the mattress with all its weight

like now i'm wondering how it would feel to just be gently buried up to your neck in steel ball bearings

My guess is "crushy", like in a fatal way.

oh god yeah

you don't say...

eNDOaAo.jpg

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My boss has been known to spend upwards of three hours standing in one spot watching the new CNc milling machine

Man I wish I could show you the bits we're making now for hands, they're super fiddly and intricate, so the CNC program is awesome to watch. We got a new five axis like a month ago, which is so cool.

Man I wish I could show you the bits we're making now for hands, they're super fiddly and intricate, so the CNC program is awesome to watch. We got a new five axis like a month ago, which is so cool.

I could probably just wander around the workshop floor for days just gawking at everything while people WAY smarter than me try desperately to explain to me how everything works while I completely misunderstand everything they say...

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've never had a hangover. And I've been blackout drunk.

I used to do this self-hypnosis thing when I couldn't sleep. I'd lie very still and imagine my toes falling asleep, then the ball of my foot, then my heel, etc. and would continue mentally working my way up my body in small increments. If I moved I'd have to start over.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Well shit, this just blew my mind and explains my obsession with kaleidoscopes, tea ceremonious, pretty much anything on npr, and very specifically simulated wave videos. Those really do this to me.

Zero idea this was defined as... well as anything. I still dont really believe this. Is this real?

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

oh god yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCjPP7liZCA

RT800 on
    RT800 wrote: »

oh god yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCjPP7liZCA

yes

yes

this is what i want

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The mechanism of a mechanical watch, with all the tiny gears moving and the thing ticking away. I can just sit and listen to it and listen to it and ironically lose time. It does something to me. Any kind of clock with a loud tick will do, but there is something seemingly magical about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad4li6BQ_Eo

I really wanted to learn to make and fix mechanical watches, and it seemed complicated enough that I've talked myself out of it a hundred times. One of the things I've wanted most for years is a mechanical watch with hands but no face so I can see all the gears work. I've gone looking a number of different places, but the only things I can find are not actually working or way out of my price range. They just don't seem to make those cheaply.

I also completely lose myself next to an ocean or even a stream. I love the sound of moving water. It's random yet rhythmic and it makes me feel soothed and connected and happy.

Both of those things (the mechanical watch and moving water) just put me in a different place, albeit different places that are different from each other.

The sound of my computer can work, if there's no other sound. I could fall asleep (and have) listening to northernlion's voice. I get lost looking at miniature versions of big things that have moving parts and really work. It's in the details. I have a hard time concentrating if I'm in a room with a patterned carpet because I will involuntarily follow the pattern with my eyes. Anything visual with a lot of detail can be very distracting for me in that way.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    608bp2ngqf6j.jpg
    Large sections of undisturbed moss, all soft and cool. And you can gently, gently touch it, and then leave it to keep growing. I find that very satisfying/calming.

ceres wrote: »
    The mechanism of a mechanical watch, with all the tiny gears moving and the thing ticking away. I can just sit and listen to it and listen to it and ironically lose time. It does something to me. Any kind of clock with a loud tick will do, but there is something seemingly magical about this.

I really wanted to learn to make and fix mechanical watches, and it seemed complicated enough that I've talked myself out of it a hundred times. One of the things I've wanted most for years is a mechanical watch with hands but no face so I can see all the gears work. I've gone looking a number of different places, but the only things I can find are not actually working or way out of my price range. They just don't seem to make those cheaply.

I also completely lose myself next to an ocean or even a stream. I love the sound of moving water. It's random yet rhythmic and it makes me feel soothed and connected and happy.

Both of those things (the mechanical watch and moving water) just put me in a different place, albeit different places that are different from each other.

The sound of my computer can work, if there's no other sound. I could fall asleep (and have) listening to northernlion's voice. I get lost looking at miniature versions of big things that have moving parts and really work. It's in the details. I have a hard time concentrating if I'm in a room with a patterned carpet because I will involuntarily follow the pattern with my eyes. Anything visual with a lot of detail can be very distracting for me in that way.

http://www.skeletonwatchshop.com/mechanical-skeleton-watches.html?___SID=U&dir=asc&order=price

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    wow i watched that bob ross video and basically felt high and definitely tingly. but maybe it's just psychosomatic / the wines i drank tonight

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    also i can't help but crack the biggest grin

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    This stuff is super interesting as something that I don't really experience. And knew nothing about (so thanks beavs)

The nails stuff though was relaxing but I didn't anything feel tingly though.

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Oh, dang. I've had this off and on since I was a kid. Never knew it had a name. I can't remember the last time it's happened recently, but in the past it was definitely what you described beavs. I need to look into this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. <3

EDIT: Yeah, just watched the Bob Ross video in the OP. The tingle thing totally happened. It is still happening as I type this. I've been dealing with a lot of stress lately, very tense. This is one of the best feelings I've ever had. Like, oh, my god.

I don't know which I like more, the sound of him painting or his voice. Well, I know what I'm listening to all day while getting things done.

It's like someone just massaged my brain.

Arden Canelo on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    Pooro what about the sound of a thunderstorm

No particularly noticeable effect one way or the other. I tend to be concerned more with whether or not I have to go out in it.

The only thing that ever relaxes me and slows me down, and this is going to sound completely insane, is a hangover. My hangovers are never the vomity/headachey kinds - mine just make my head feel filled with cotton, and cause me to be a little more satisfied with simple pleasures, a little more languid, a little more content.

I think the main takeaway from all of this is that the wiring in my brain is totally batshit

Edit: hahaha, I've apparently discussed this before

Oh wow me too
    Not hangovers, those are awful. But really bad asthma or pneumonia, is almost pleasant. Because I can finally tell my brain to de-prioritize basically everything and just concentrate on breathing, or trying to have a shower, or making tea

Being sick is meditation for the incurably neurotic.

sWGnscT.jpg

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Oh I thought everyone got the weird back-of-the-head tingly feeling! I've never actually tried to trigger it but it's definitely a thing for me.

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    It makes me so happy when I introduce asmr to someone who has had it their whole life but didn't know it was a thing

My boss actually introduced me to it by telling me about the npr he had heard on the way to work. I just started freaking out about it because it is honestly the greatest feeling.

@bowtiedseal‌ I told Arden this already but go to the asmr subreddit
    http://www.reddit.com/r/asmr
    It's a massive community and it's organized by trigger type
    It'll help you find your specific triggers

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I didnt think ASMR worked on me and it probably.still doesn't but I wanted to try last night so I put on this asmr youtuber video where she taught you how to decoratively fold towels (basically just an excuse to like, use the towels for noise making) and it knocked me the fuuuuuck out

So even if it still doesn't I'm super gonna do it again

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't really get the tingles, but i have developed a deep appreciation for the way some asmr videos can put me to sleep with a quickness. I've often had trouble with nighttime anxieties and stuff keeping me awake, and it turns out that listening to someone talk in a pleasant low tone about whatever really helps. Heather Feather's probably the best I've found so far. Fairy Char is pretty alright too.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Almost everyone will zone out from watching a campfire

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ceres wrote: »

http://www.skeletonwatchshop.com/mechanical-skeleton-watches.html?___SID=U&dir=asc&order=price

Yeah one of these is definitely on my wishlist now. It's waaaay out of my price range, but at least I can remember it for a time when it's affordable.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Almost everyone will zone out from watching a campfire

Fire is my kryptonite. But in a good way. I get transfixed by it and have yet to ever get bored of watching a fire.

Good job I'm a stable person! Hahahaha.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I've only been able to figure out two things that give me that tickle in the back of the head-- one is having someone teach me something a bit complex in close proximity, like showing how to do cat's cradle right next to me close. The other is those weird little head massage things if someone else is using it.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Hmmmmm. I've always thought that this was what people ascribed to be a religious experience. The tingly feeling. The hair standing on end. It comes with the concept of gnosis. This isn't just simply understanding, but a feeling of complete understanding and connection, even across time and space. A feeling of oneness. Dare I say a Groking.

I think most people would feel that way with music. Certainly for me that is how it is. You feel a complete understanding and connection with the meaning, on the deepest level. Not just superficially, but down to the heart of the meaning, to the spirit of it.

I think if scientists looked into this they would find a lot of overlap with research on altered state of mind, and religious experience. That's what I belive this truly is, is an altered state of consiousness. There is significantly more research on that subject, anthropologists have been interested in this forever, showing that rhythms and rituals, sights and sounds can change your whole experience.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I think we might be coming two different effects in this thread. The head massage and fire and boring videos is a deactivation. An anesthetization. It makes you calm and comfortable and tired.

The feeling that I'm describing, While certainly it can be calming, is a brain activation, I would say. It may feel somewhat calming, but it isn't anesthetizing. It is a wide awake and strong feeling inside your skull.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    I get this when (this sounds weird, I'm well aware) I'm watch someone successfully figure something out. The trial and error being the wind up, then watching as things click into place, followed by success. Completely selfish reason I enjoyed teaching and coaching. But even watching the dog figure out how to manipulate her treat ball or watching my nephews build something Lego then sort of shake off the instructions and hit "the zone." Might also be why watching someone struggle is super hard for me.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'll have to watch a few of the videos with headphones on later today. The page flipping guy's voice creeped me out too much to enjoy that one though. I know I'm not in the minority on this one, but we have a fish tank with a little centralized bubbler and two beta fish (male and female) in it. I can stare at it forever. The movement of the fish just pulls me in and the bubble noises just top it off.

Lindsay Lohan on