As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android:Netrunner] The only time Bad Publicity isn't a thing to worry about.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So, now that I've got my hands on U&O and ATR I thought I'd try my hand a putting a Foundry Grail deck together.

Any thoughts? It's kinda lacking in tag punishment, but I think I'm mostly okay with that. Could swap the Daily Business Shows for closed accounts, though.
    Unnamed Deck (49 cards)

The Foundry: Refining the Process

Agenda (9)
    3 Accelerated Beta Test
    1 Eden Fragment
    1 Hades Fragment
    1 Mandatory Upgrades
    3 Project Vitruvius

Asset (6)
    3 Daily Business Show •••
    3 Jackson Howard •••

Upgrade (5)
    2 Ash 2X3ZB9CY
    3 Shell Corporation

Operation (9)
    3 Hedge Fund
    3 Peak Efficiency
    3 Restructure

Barrier (6)
    3 Galahad •••
    3 NEXT Silver

Code Gate (6)
    3 Merlin •••
    3 NEXT Bronze

Sentry (6)
    3 Architect
    3 Lancelot •••

ICE (2)
    2 Mother Goddess

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

Anzekay on
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    Long story short: Leela is legit, Cerb can build decks, and I'm flush with promos.

Well done :)
    Glad the deck worked for you.

What cool loot did you get?

I got the Lawyer Up mat, a Jinteki ID (weekly prize), a Weyland ID, a plascrete and a deckbox.

"Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    So, now that I've got my hands on U&O and ATR I thought I'd try my hand a putting a Foundry Grail deck together.

Any thoughts? It's kinda lacking in tag punishment, but I think I'm mostly okay with that. Could swap the Daily Business Shows for closed accounts, though.
    Unnamed Deck (49 cards)

The Foundry: Refining the Process

Agenda (9)
    3 Accelerated Beta Test
    1 Eden Fragment
    1 Hades Fragment
    1 Mandatory Upgrades
    3 Project Vitruvius

Asset (6)
    3 Daily Business Show •••
    3 Jackson Howard •••

Upgrade (5)
    2 Ash 2X3ZB9CY
    3 Shell Corporation

Operation (9)
    3 Hedge Fund
    3 Peak Efficiency
    3 Restructure

Barrier (6)
    3 Galahad •••
    3 NEXT Silver

Code Gate (6)
    3 Merlin •••
    3 NEXT Bronze

Sentry (6)
    3 Architect
    3 Lancelot •••

ICE (2)
    2 Mother Goddess

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

I don't think you need tag punishment, really, though it's nice to have. I do worry that Galahad and Silver are too much alike - both weak barriers with multiple subroutines. I like including Eli too, or at least Bastion. Shell Corporation just isn't that great, I think - you don't have a server to put it on that people don't want to run, and it's more click-intensive than I think you want. I'd rather use the deck space for Gila Hands, I think.

Overall, what's the win condition for the deck? Is it hoping they run unprepared into Grail ice and die from multiple Merlin/wreck their board with multiple Lancelot? You do have a lot of anti-face-check ice to catch unwary runners. I don't think you can really build a deep server to score agendas since none of your ice is very strong, though the multiple subs are moderately taxing. I'm not sure if you have a fast-advance or never-advance option, since there's no SanSan City Grid/Biotic or EffComm/Shipment from SanSan parts. Relying on the one ManUp is not a great plan.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Missed Quinns tournament today, but have one tomorrow. I can't decide between stealth Kate and good old-fashioned Kit Yogosaur. HMMMMMMM.

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    In my experience with Noise (which has been quite a lot lately) some of the newer cards like Cache and David are what really allows him to work well in the current meta. Core Noise compared to Cache, etc, Noise has basically been like night and day.

I would at least recommend picking up the Datapack with Cache in it, if you're able to. It really does make a big difference.

If you can't get the datapack, then I'd probably still recommend doing Aesops/Wyldside. Just add in stuff like Codebusting, Daily Casts and the like to act as the econ, and use Knights and the static breakers as your breaker suite. One of our top players here played that for a considerable portion of last year and did really well, but he knew the deck super super well. It may well take a good bit of practice with it to get it to work as smoothly as you'd like.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I've managed to find something that works alright. It's strange to look at where the cards I'm using come from, around H&P there are so few recent additions. Lucky Find is a decent economy addition, and I could see the case for Legwork over Nerve Agent (or Keyhole over Medium but I prefer the virus on this one), but most of the deck is made of old core cards. I'm glad this recent cycle has started adding more useful Anarch tools. I'm really looking forward to Order and Chaos!
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Endaro wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a fun and effective Noise deck that only includes cards up to Honor and Profit? It's doesn't need to be tournament competitive or anything, just for play with friends.

I'd been playing an Anatomy of an Anarch style Reina for a while, but I got really bored of it living or dying based upon whether I found Account Siphons or if they decided to include tag punishment. I've haven't had much luck finding an alternative with Reina; I mostly tried Knights and econ drain with Rooks and such, but it's far less effective without Joshua B's and AS's. I'm been wanting to try some Noise, but I don't have Cache and the other nice things that have come in recent datapacks; I end up with something very similar to Core Noise. Is it just an exercise in frustration in a post-Jackson Howard world?

Playing Noise without Cache is like driving a car with no gas; just pray you never have to go up hill. Also, I'd be interested to see your Tag-Me Reina. It's one of my favorite decks, I'd like to see how it differs from yours.

I don't know if I have the last version of it saved anywhere anymore, but it was nothing too fancy. I tend to sacrifice better cards for personal preferences. Judging by my last saved copy it was probably something like:
    Reina Roja: Freedom Fighter

Event (10)
    2 Account Siphon ••••• •••
    2 Deja Vu
    1 Queen's Gambit
    3 Sure Gamble
    2 Vamp

Hardware (7)
    3 Deep Red
    1 E3 Feedback Implants ••
    3 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (13)
    3 Armitage Codebusting
    2 Fall Guy ••
    2 John Masanori
    3 Joshua B.
    3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (6)
    3 Knight
    3 Overmind

Program (9)
    2 Crescentus ••
    2 Keyhole
    3 Parasite
    2 Rook

To be better it probably should have had an extra Account Siphon, but I always liked being able to Crescentus off an ICE if they manage to rez it. E3 is also probably a bit unneeded, but it makes Knight cheaper on multi-subroutine ICE and extends Overminds, it also helped that the worst ICE for Knight/Overmind were often pricey Bioroids. It should probably also have some DLR's but I hate that card so I never use it. Edit: I also always hated Vamp, so I might swap that with some economy.

Endaro on
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I went to a GNK tournament today, 21 people. I was rocking Leela again, and after 5 rounds of swiss the deck was undefeated for the second tournament in a row. More than that though, she is crazy fun to play and I really enjoy the decisions you get to make when her ability triggers.

If you've not played her, you should she is AMAZING & FUN!!! Here is my decklist for those that want to take a look...

It was an expensive buy in for a tournament at £10, but for first place I got an alt art Weyland, an alt art Plascrete, and £100 in store credit. Picked up Robinson Crusoe and BSG, as well as some other bits like card sleeves... great day!

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Wait.

There's a alt-art Weyland ID?

EDIT: Just saw it on eBay. UNF. MINE.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited December 2014
    Five round store tournament today. I was organising it and jeez five rounds is a long time. Seventeen people and several new faces, which was nice, and everyone won at least a game or two. I finished fourth, but managed to bone myself out of second by being a moron in the last game against the guy in first place.

He has an over advanced Atlas in a remote I can't get into ready to score next turn and then use to combo scorch me the turn after. I get into R&D with an indexing after killing his Jackson so he can't screw up the indexing order. I see three agendas, enough to win me the game, score two on subsequent runs, and put the third after a Grim under the two agendas I score that turn, so after he draws and scores the Atlas I can grab the third and win.

So he scores the Atlas and sits back, confident he's won next turn. I go into R&D, knowing its an agenda. And I see a Grim, because I put them back in he wrong order because it's the last turn of the last game and I'm tired or something. So yeah, that was annoying. Game in the bag, second place assured, then I fuck it up. He felt so bad he donated his first place alt art Weyland to me, as he already had one.

Still, won a deck box, which is swanky, and the alt art Weyland is what I would have won in second place anyway, so it's just the knowledge that I screwed up what should have been a really sweet win.

Bogart on
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Why didn't he atlas search before you accessed though?

edited December 2014
    He could have for the last one, I guess, but it didn't occur to him. I think certain ways of frustrating a search are ingrained in people's habits, like Jackson, because it can lessen the agenda density, but some other ways, like Atlas searching, maybe don't.

I know I've managed to screw up using the Foundry's ability to frustrate an indexing more than once.

I also killed a guy with sea source/scorch when he had a Hades Shard out and an agenda was in archives that would have won him the game (I gave him a nice pause between each action in case he remembered to fire it), so firing off paid abilities is something that lots of people just forget, especially if they're new or the firing is something you need to do because of the action of an opponent. Your turn/my turn is a natural mindset that it's hard to break out of 100%, and if I forget to do something, it's usually something that I should have done in my opponents turn.

EDIT: it's also possible that he thought I was bluffing and wanted the Atlas shuffle to give me a shot at a new card in R&D.

Bogart on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    That's my favorite part of this game. Am I smiling because I've won, or am I smiling because you are about to unwittingly help me?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Team Covenant have just put up one of my games from Worlds. It was very close and could have gone either way, a bit of luck and bold play got me the win.
    Here for those interested

Team Covenant have just put up one of my games from Worlds. It was very close and could have gone either way, a bit of luck and bold play got me the win.
    Here for those interested

The production values on that intro is pretty cool. Sweet play on both sides!

• TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Watching that game was a thing of beauty live. I couldn't believe the balls to leave that NAPD just sitting there the whole time. Especially when he tried to run it during your turn. To fake him out knowing he wants to run there by installing a new remote with ice? Come on.

Also, it was weird to see Tomasz offer the handshake when you showed the NAPD without enough advancements. Too much netrunner, I guess.

"Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    Watching that game was a thing of beauty live. I couldn't believe the balls to leave that NAPD just sitting there the whole time. Especially when he tried to run it during your turn. To fake him out knowing he wants to run there by installing a new remote with ice? Come on.

Also, it was weird to see Tomasz offer the handshake when you showed the NAPD without enough advancements. Too much netrunner, I guess.

As has been said before, the worst Netrunner games are typically played at the end. Way too much thinking to do for so many hours straight, especially for such a poor prize pool.

That said, good game Cerb!

Cheers guys.
    I in all honesty thought I had two ways to win and was showing him them. We both missed the bad pub, but I definitely had the win.
    I can confirm Netrunner gets hard after:
    Thursday - 4 rounds of Swiss
    Friday - 4 rounds of Swiss
    Saturday - 6 rounds of Swiss
    Sunday - 4 double elim matches

After being quite enamoured of the Cerberus breakers as backup for my Yogosaur after playing a lot of Blue Sun curtain walls I think I might need to either bang a couple of scavenges in there to refresh them or replace them with something else, because they get used up pretty fast against Blue Sun. And without Scavenge I'd have to install another program to trash them and then get them back with a clone chip, and I'm purposefully running very light on programs (Yog, two dogs, two SMCs and a Paintbrush, no extra memory except the dino).

I could possibly do with dumping the clone chips altogether and entirely replacing them with scavenges, and then move change one of the two SMCs into a test run (making three test runs), relying on getting any trashed programs out of the heap with those rather than a clone chip.

It got to the stage last night where I'd used up the barrier Cerberus entirely, had no way of refreshing it, and was facing two rezzed curtain walls on centrals I simply couldn't get into with the Yog. I ended up having to paintbrush them and use the sentry Cerberus to get past them on a hail mary attempt to score the last agenda.

Do you think Uninstall is going to be good enough to play with the dogs Bogart?

So played some blue sun Mushin/Off the Grid + Punitive Counterstrike for the first time in real life last night and lost on match point every game :(. What Lies Ahead being out of print is very sad, every time I drew one of the agendas that I'd substituted for an OCTGN Atlas I had a big internal sigh.

So our local TO just dropped a big bunch of details about our organised play next year.

Looks like we have a couple of one night tournaments (store credit prizes only) in the lead up to our Winter 2014 kit tournament, which will be a nice long one on a weekend day.

Then we'll probably have a 6 week league running on a night I can actually make every week (!!!) followed up by the store championships in march.

And this is just at one of the local stores! There's still the stuff at the other store (further south) or the board game cafe in the city. Lots of Netrunner to be played over the first few months of the new year! Exciting!

Dis' wrote: »

It just bounces the hardware back to hand, doesn't it? I can't see how that's better than Scavenge, which saves you the cost of paying for the program again and re-installs it all in one click. At least in the context of wanting to refresh Cerberus programs (or David, or Overmind, etc). Immediately refresh it or bounce it back to hand and then use another click and pay for it again?

Bogart wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »

It just bounces the hardware back to hand, doesn't it? I can't see how that's better than Scavenge, which saves you the cost of paying for the program again and re-installs it all in one click. At least in the context of wanting to refresh Cerberus programs (or David, or Overmind, etc). Immediately refresh it or bounce it back to hand and then use another click and pay for it again?

In addition to rather than replacing scavenge is what I was driving at, scavenge is definitely the superior refreshing tool but you only have a limited number.

I guess it could supplement it, but I think it would have to fight for deck space. If you're hurting on influence and Uninstall is neutral (not sure) then it is an adequate replacement for scavenge.

To be honest, three scavenges should refresh the two Cerberus breakers I'm running right now plenty, as the deck is geared towards making one (maybe two if I'm indexing) big runs a turn. and I'm paintbrushing everything that's rezzed and not a code gate anyway so I can yog through for nothing. The Cerberus breakers are there for Curtain Wall and things they rez on the run itself, so aside from Curtain Wall I'm only ever looking to break each piece of ice with something that isn't the Yog once.

I also had a first turn indexing win on an undefended R&D win the other night, which is always incredibly funny. Not looking forward to facing some of the crazy fast Max decks I've seen that bang down an Eater and a keyhole and just obliterate everything in their path. Running three swordsmen doesn't appeal, especially because they'll just bring out a Femme or something and you're back where you were. I guess stuff like a Wraparound will slow it down because it's expensive to break without a fracter and cheap to rez, but it's not like there won't be a Corroder in the pipe as soon as you rez it. Banging out remotes and scoring as fast as you can is the new black.

So with all the tournaments and leagues coming up early next year I've already starting putting thought into what decks I'll be running for the major ones. Since I'm actually going to be pretty serious about winning stuff next year (want to get to nationals and make it worth while!) I'm probably going to double-down on playing to my meta and really refining some consistent decks.

So right now I'm tossing up between Blue Sun, two flavours of Foundry, or ETF HB for corp side. Runner side I've always got my trusty PPVP Kate, I've been really liking Noise lately, and Leela looks to be very worth experimenting with. I'm also considering working on a Quetzal deck.

In terms of my local meta... Well, there's not really anything consistent on the runner side of things. Plenty of Siphon play, including splashes, and Parasite use is still very common. But otherwise it's a pretty broad mix of IDs and archetypes, with nothing really sticking out.

Corp side, though, there's a very large amount of decks with kill conditions, be it Jinteki or Scorch/Punitive. Basically going tag-me is a big no-no, too, as tagstorm decks with psychographics are becoming pretty damn common too. I'll probably continue to run a couple of plascretes and/or tag protection, and if the Jinteki prevalence continues that will always sway my hand towards Shaper.

Probably going to whip up some test decks over the holiday period and be down for some OCTGN games if folks are keen after Christmas/new years!

Bogart wrote: »
    I guess it could supplement it, but I think it would have to fight for deck space. If you're hurting on influence and Uninstall is neutral (not sure) then it is an adequate replacement for scavenge.

It is.

persona4celestia.jpg
    So with all the tournaments and leagues coming up early next year I've already starting putting thought into what decks I'll be running for the major ones. Since I'm actually going to be pretty serious about winning stuff next year (want to get to nationals and make it worth while!) I'm probably going to double-down on playing to my meta and really refining some consistent decks.

So right now I'm tossing up between Blue Sun, two flavours of Foundry, or ETF HB for corp side. Runner side I've always got my trusty PPVP Kate, I've been really liking Noise lately, and Leela looks to be very worth experimenting with. I'm also considering working on a Quetzal deck.

In terms of my local meta... Well, there's not really anything consistent on the runner side of things. Plenty of Siphon play, including splashes, and Parasite use is still very common. But otherwise it's a pretty broad mix of IDs and archetypes, with nothing really sticking out.

Corp side, though, there's a very large amount of decks with kill conditions, be it Jinteki or Scorch/Punitive. Basically going tag-me is a big no-no, too, as tagstorm decks with psychographics are becoming pretty damn common too. I'll probably continue to run a couple of plascretes and/or tag protection, and if the Jinteki prevalence continues that will always sway my hand towards Shaper.

Probably going to whip up some test decks over the holiday period and be down for some OCTGN games if folks are keen after Christmas/new years!

I think it is a bit early for deciding decks for Regionals etc as you need to see the impact Order and Chaos has on the meta.
    Plan for Store Champs and look at getting your Regional bye.

I think you should test Leela, I think for Store Champs a lot of people won't have tested against her and her ability is amazing if people don't know how to play around it.
    You are correct that 2 Plascretes is a must due to the number of kill decks around. Leela is great against PE, which is normally a terrible match up for Criminal.

Corp is hard to choose from currently as there are a lot of good options. Grail ice are turning out to be better than expected, with the need to have all breakers out, it slows the runner down a lot early game.

I'd offer to help you test, but your timezone is way different!

Yeah we don't have a date for regionals yet, I am mostly thinking about our two upcoming tournaments. We're doing a saturday tournament for our Winter 2014 kit, and then one for store champs of course.

Also @Cerberus I tend to be on at weird times as it is, I'm sure we'll find some overlap where we could do some OCTGN if you're down for it

Also @Cerberus I tend to be on at weird times as it is, I'm sure we'll find some overlap where we could do some OCTGN if you're down for it

I doubt I could make a regular commitment, but I am sure we could sort something out once or twice.
    Drop me a PM and we can do something (likely at the start of the new year?)

I doubt I could make a regular commitment, but I am sure we could sort something out once or twice.
    Drop me a PM and we can do something (likely at the start of the new year?)

Absolutely, sounds good to me.

• Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    If anyone here ever wants to play some matches on OCTGN, hit me up(preferably on steam, but forum works as well). I've been assembling a group of regulars to play with since I have basically zero local scene.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    edited December 2014
    Just noticed something entertaining. Compare Day Job to Project Vulcan.

I've set up my new ST list.

Tax Bot

Haas-Bioroid: Stronger Together (What Lies Ahead)

Agenda (9)
    3x Accelerated Beta Test (Core Set)
    3x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
    3x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)

Asset (11)
    3x Adonis Campaign (Core Set)
    2x Eve Campaign (Humanity's Shadow)
    3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
    3x Reversed Accounts (Up and Over) •••

Upgrade (2)
    2x Heinlein Grid (The Spaces Between)

Operation (9)
    3x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves) ••••• ••••
    3x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)
    3x Successful Demonstration (Creation and Control)

Barrier (8)
    3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
    2x Heimdall 1.0 (Core Set)
    3x Markus 1.0 (The Source)

Code Gate (5)
    3x Viktor 1.0 (Core Set)
    2x Viper (Cyber Exodus)

Sentry (5)
    3x Architect (Up and Over)
    2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
    21 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
    49 cards (min 45)

Celebrity Gift+Subliminal Messaging was one of my favorite combos when I played Harmony Glacier, and I couldn't think of anything other than economy that I wanted to spend my influence on. I've also got a looot of pricey ice, so I'm thinking of replacing an Architect and a Markus with two Quandry.

Interesting thing with Viper and Heinlein Grid. If they don't put the money down on breaking Viper, I can essentially Vamp the runner.

Never played with Reversed Accounts. Seems like a nice way to rake the runner over my ICE; they either trash it or I pop it for a scoring window. Three seems like too many, but I don't have anything else for the influence.

Carnarvon on
    I'm looking forward to Excalibur coming out in The Source (which isn't out yet in the UK) as I want to see how good it is in Replicating Perfection.
    On Wednesday I built an RP Grail deck which I am currently naming Perfect Crusade, to see if it would be a good base to add Excalibur in. It did very well in the 3 matches of testing. I had a tournament yesterday and my friends convinced me to play it, since it was the best form of testing.
    It went undefeated with four 7-0 wins and a 7-4 win.

I'd like to get folks thoughts on it.
    Pro's
    • Runners cannot safely run without a full rig
    • Surprise net damage or program destruction can provide scoring opportunities / win games

Con's
    • No ELP
    • Heavier reliance on Caprice to protect servers

My current plan is to remove the Ash and MMC/Pup for 2 Excalibur, which will be amazing as archive Ice and added Grail support.
    Perfect Crusade

Jinteki: Replicating Perfection (Trace Amount)

Agenda (9)
    3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
    3x Nisei MK II (Core Set)
    3x The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit)

Asset (10)
    1x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)
    3x Mental Health Clinic (Honor and Profit)
    3x Sundew (Mala Tempora)

Upgrade (4)
    1x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) ••
    3x Caprice Nisei (Double Time)

Operation (7)
    3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
    1x Interns (Mala Tempora)
    3x Medical Research Fundraiser (Honor and Profit)

Barrier (4)
    1x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
    3x Galahad (Upstalk) •••

Code Gate (5)
    3x Merlin (All That Remains) •••
    2x Quandary (Double Time)

Sentry (10)
    2x Komainu (Honor and Profit)
    3x Lancelot (First Contact) •••
    2x Pup (Honor and Profit)
    3x Tsurugi (True Colors)

49 cards (min 45)
    Cards up to All That Remains

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

edited December 2014
    Just a thought, what about a Cell Portal? The Grail ICE keeps it's subs until the end of then run, and then when they come through it again you can add even more.

Might be able to just dome someone out with Merlins.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Excalibur is just straight up amazing. It breaks Indexing, Medium (repeated runs), Keyhole, and a few other things. Also tears up AndySuckerTesting decks if you put it over Archives. The fact that it puts the fear of God into runners when you're running Grail ICE is secondary TBH.

Also some nifty about the design. It's unique, so you only want to install one, meaning that drawing extra copies are wasted... BUT WAIT, THE EXTRA COPIES IN YOUR HAND FEED INTO YOUR OTHER GRAIL ICE! Cool shit like that just makes the game more unique and enjoyable.

Carnarvon on
    Is the Fundraiser there instead of Celebrity Gift because you don't want to show what grail ice you have in hand? Seems an otherwise odd card in a taxing deck.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to Excalibur coming out in The Source (which isn't out yet in the UK) as I want to see how good it is in Replicating Perfection.
    On Wednesday I built an RP Grail deck which I am currently naming Perfect Crusade, to see if it would be a good base to add Excalibur in. It did very well in the 3 matches of testing. I had a tournament yesterday and my friends convinced me to play it, since it was the best form of testing.

Pro's
    • Surprise net damage or program destruction can provide scoring opportunities / win games

Con's
    • No ELP

My current plan is to remove the Ash and MMC/Pup for 2 Excalibur, which will be amazing as archive Ice and added Grail support.
    Perfect Crusade

Agenda (9)

Asset (10)
    3x Sundew (Mala Tempora)

Upgrade (4)

Operation (7)
    3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)

Barrier (4)
    3x Galahad (Upstalk) •••

Code Gate (5)

Sentry (10)
    3x Tsurugi (True Colors)

49 cards (min 45)

I wound up thinking about this more after we had talked about it, and I also really liked the idea of grail ICE in RP. I sat down yesterday for a while trying to hash something out, but looking through cards I just couldn't pick my angle for scoring. I had considered a very similar agenda spread, between 3x Future Perfect and 3x NAPD Contracts, but my 3rd slot was a tossup between Fetal AI (more surprise damage, plus none of your agendas are free to steal at that point), or Medical Breakthrough because it's a really good finisher for your 3rd, and doesn't hurt as much if the runner scores one. I understand why you've chosen Nisei though, and it's something I would defer to you on.
    Something else was that I felt it was a deck that can potentially get easier to play around once you understand what it does, and it makes having AI breakers quite valuable again. I figured Swordsman would be a really good singleton just so people can't comfortably rely on that as an option. But yeah ... we should talk about this more tomorrow. Shoot me a message when you're around.

Is the Fundraiser there instead of Celebrity Gift because you don't want to show what grail ice you have in hand? Seems an otherwise odd card in a taxing deck.

Yeah, I don't want to be showing if I have Grail ice in hand as it is that unknown that stops the runner if they don't have a full suite.
    MRF isn't ideal as you said, as I'm trying to tax them but early game it gets me to a good level of credits so I can rez my expensive ice.
    Testing MMC in its place is something I want to do.

Pro's

Con's
    • No ELP

Perfect Crusade

Agenda (9)

Asset (10)
    3x Sundew (Mala Tempora)

Upgrade (4)

Operation (7)
    3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)

Barrier (4)
    3x Galahad (Upstalk) •••

Code Gate (5)

Sentry (10)
    3x Tsurugi (True Colors)

49 cards (min 45)

I wound up thinking about this more after we had talked about it, and I also really liked the idea of grail ICE in RP. I sat down yesterday for a while trying to hash something out, but looking through cards I just couldn't pick my angle for scoring. I had considered a very similar agenda spread, between 3x Future Perfect and 3x NAPD Contracts, but my 3rd slot was a tossup between Fetal AI (more surprise damage, plus none of your agendas are free to steal at that point), or Medical Breakthrough because it's a really good finisher for your 3rd, and doesn't hurt as much if the runner scores one. I understand why you've chosen Nisei though, and it's something I would defer to you on.
    Something else was that I felt it was a deck that can potentially get easier to play around once you understand what it does, and it makes having AI breakers quite valuable again. I figured Swordsman would be a really good singleton just so people can't comfortably rely on that as an option. But yeah ... we should talk about this more tomorrow. Shoot me a message when you're around.

A Swordsman isn't a bad shout, especially with Eater on the horizon.
    Message sent.

edited December 2014
    I sorta want to try a Blue Grail deck, and be able to pick up and move the ICE into position as needed.

Maaaaaaaaaybe Custom Biotics?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I've been playing Grail in Cerebral Imaging, because I'll always have the cards in hand, but it never seems to work extremely well. Part of it is that it's not that hard to break any of the ice, so if they also slow down and build a rig, they can pretty simply get through. I'm still waiting for the triple-merlin kill though. Someday!

Grail is just funny ice. Taxing-ish, deadly if facechecked, but ultimately not super effective once the runner gets set up, and it necessarily eats up space in your hand you might want for other things.

The one thing that is a bit of a downer about Excalibur for me is that it's unique and doesn't have the Grail ice ability itself (though you can add the sub to other Grail Ice). So I kinda feel like it's the Mother Goddess of the set (like MG is to NEXT Ice).

I think I'd still run at least one, maybe two, in a deck but I'm still not quite so sure what to make of it.

This discussion has been closed.