As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Superheroes] Cheese beam from the cheese dimension

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I liked her old costume.

Yeah some artists drew it way too cheesecakey but that's not an inherent problem with the costume. It's a standard full body tights thing that a lot of people have had, and it had a really slick design IMO.

I would argue that full body spandex on women is inherently a problem because people KEEP drawing it that way

its not going to stop

changing the costume will prevent that from happening

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    That is a slick costume.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    It's weird listening to some more hardcore Marvel fans bitch about that costume while everyone here is genuinely positive about it. People seem super adverse to change, especially when it's inspired by an era they didn't grow up in.

Spider-man and Wolverine can't go a miniseries without new duds but she gets a alt costume and people go ballistic.

Quire.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    It's weird listening to some more hardcore Marvel fans bitch about that costume while everyone here is genuinely positive about it. People seem super adverse to change, especially when it's inspired by an era they didn't grow up in.

Spider-man and Wolverine can't go a miniseries without new duds but she gets a alt costume and people go ballistic.

I think some of it is pushback against what some people percieve as "social justice warriors taking over everything" so if a female character gets a less cheesecake costume it's another win for the hated SJWs and must be stopped.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I still want to see Spider-Man's 500 costume used.

Is that that cool jacket

I like that jacket

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Oh sweet she still has the glider wings.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I'm not a huge fan of her new outfit, but it's definitely better than her old one, though that's not a high bar to clear, to be frank

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I liked her old costume.

Yeah some artists drew it way too cheesecakey but that's not an inherent problem with the costume. It's a standard full body tights thing that a lot of people have had, and it had a really slick design IMO.

I would argue that full body spandex on women is inherently a problem because people KEEP drawing it that way

its not going to stop

Everybody loves Carol's current costume and it faces the same problems.

I liked her old costume.

its not going to stop

Not really

that costume has enough design elements that it has to be drawn like a costume

the old spider-woman costume is so simple that people were just coloring the "skin" and calling it a day

edited December 2014
    I guess I don't understand all the comments implying her old one was a bad looking costume.

Because it always seemed like a really nice design to me.

I like the new one, too. Just find the hate for the old look kinda puzzling.

LockedOnTarget on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I liked her old costume.

its not going to stop

Carol's costume kind of feels like a fitted flight suit and less like the full spandex bodysuit.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    I liked her old costume.

its not going to stop

Not really

the old spider-woman costume is so simple that people were just coloring the "skin" and calling it a day

Yes really.

There have been comments in this very thread complaining about Carol being drawn in the same way in some art.

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I am of the opinion that even without the people drawing it as body paint that the old Spider-Woman costume was a bad costume

It was way too generic, it had neat elements to it but if you ask someone who'd never seen the character before what her power set was the only clue was the underarm webs.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I liked her old costume.

its not going to stop

Not really

tell that to Mike Deodato

dab6c134e4a77603c84816623369f849.jpg

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Those sunglasses-to-mask thing is pretty secret agent super hero.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I liked the color scheme and the mask

I wish the jacket part of the new look was redder.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I liked her old costume.

its not going to stop

Not really

tell that to Mike Deodato

dab6c134e4a77603c84816623369f849.jpg

oh come the fuck on

I don't really hold it against a costume for not communicating the power set.

I mean I couldn't tell you any more about her powers from looking at the new costume.

Granted the new one does feel secret agent-y so it does communicate her character/role a little more.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Is that that cool jacket

I like that jacket

It is totally the cool jacket and it is super rad.

GOD MAKE IT STOP

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I don't really hold it against a costume for not communicating the power set.

I mean I couldn't tell you any more about her powers from looking at the new costume.

Granted the new one does feel secret agent-y so it does communicate her character/role a little more.
    It's actually got a spider on it

It seems like a small thing, but it goes a long way for me.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    The real reason to be upset is I just spent all these eternity splinters on a Spider-Woman team-up and now she's going to be out of date!

This is a serious problem!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    In Carol's own book it's drawn like a uniform, it has structure and form and I wish every artist drew her like that

Spider-Woman's old one was a cool design but it was often drawn really badly in the boob area, where it conformed perfectly to even the underside of the boobs in a way that no fabric has ever done and it was either a lazy way to avoid worrying about how cloth fits to a body OR just a way to draw a naked woman without ACTUALLY drawing a naked woman

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    So I think these pictures of SW's new costume looks sweet.

spider-woman-redesign51.jpg

The other pictures don't really convey that the Glasses turn into a Domino mask.

Slick.

I'm getting Asami vibes here.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    So based on what my girlfriend has said about it so far, I think she got me the first volume of Sex Criminals for Xmas. Unfortunately, I won't know until Christmas day when she texts me what she actually got cuz next-day shipping fucked up and now she's home for the holidays unable to pick it up. ANYWAYS, if my suspicion is true, that's awesome, but I've already read it. She's said "I hope you haven't read it yet and I'll be sad if you have" so I dunno what the best way to react would be. Lie about it? I dunno!

If it is indeed vol 1, that is super awesome because I do actually want it for myself (borrowed the first trade this summer to read it), and I'm super stoked. I just don't wanna disappoint her after she went through the effort to get me something thoughtful :(

one of the only artists who drew Spider-Woman's costume well and not exploitatively was Stefano Caselli

tumblr_n4zemolwHh1sqep2mo3_r1_500.png

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    So I think these pictures of SW's new costume looks sweet.

spider-woman-redesign51.jpg

The other pictures don't really convey that the Glasses turn into a Domino mask.

Slick.

I'm getting Asami vibes here.

So.... nothing but upsides to this change then.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I like that redesign

But I'm generally a huge fan of moving away from spandex (and especially magic comic book spandex)

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    My only complaint was going to be the lack of armpit webs

But there are clearly armpit webs, so awesome

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I don't get the "doesn't look like a superhero" complaints I've been seeing

not necessarily here, just in general

cause that middle picture with the coat zipped up and the glasses in domino mask form sure as hell looks like a superhero to me

CYpGAPn.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I don't get the "doesn't look like a superhero" complaints I've been seeing

not necessarily here, just in general

cause that middle picture with the coat zipped up and the glasses in domino mask form sure as hell looks like a superhero to me

I don't think the original designs posted in the thread included one with the jacket zipped up/logo visible, or with the way the goggles morph.

I like it more after seeing that second set.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Project Rooftop article here has some concept sketches and comments from Kras Anka:

http://www.tencentticker.com/projectrooftop/2014/12/19/new-spider-woman-by-kris-anka/
    "So it all began last July, during SDCC ’14. Nick Lowe came up to me and pulled me aside like we were about to go down some back-alley, and whispered to me that he was looking to give Jess Drew a new design come the second arc of her solo series.

He gave me a quick pitch on the direction Jess was going to go with her life, then grasped me by the shoulder, looked me dead in the eye and said that we must get rid of the arrow pointing to her crotch."

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Since Spider-Woman is/sometimes is a SHIELD secret agent, I think the new look is great. Works as both a superhero costume and as a flashy but much-less-conspicuous-than-physics-defying-spandex-bodysuit "work attire".

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    See, I never noticed the arrow pointed at her crotch.

What I did notice was the symbol cupping her boobs.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Project Rooftop article here has some concept sketches and comments from Kras Anka:

http://www.tencentticker.com/projectrooftop/2014/12/19/new-spider-woman-by-kris-anka/
    "So it all began last July, during SDCC ’14. Nick Lowe came up to me and pulled me aside like we were about to go down some back-alley, and whispered to me that he was looking to give Jess Drew a new design come the second arc of her solo series.

He gave me a quick pitch on the direction Jess was going to go with her life, then grasped me by the shoulder, looked me dead in the eye and said that we must get rid of the arrow pointing to her crotch."
    I love Nick Lowe

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Nothing about Spider-Woman's old costume said anything about her character or her powers or her concept to me beyond "Hey let's use this yellow bit to accentuate her breasts"

This discussion has been closed.