As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metal Gear] Solid V comes out September 1st

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    There was no option for MGS3 tied with MGS2

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Sadly this wasn't a poll about which Metal Gear robot is your favorite so I'm just gonna declare right here that RAY is the best.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Metal Gear MK. II 4 lyfe

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Titanium-Gallium, 6" outer diameter, 5.95" inner diameter, 240 teeth.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    I am amazed at just how incredible Ground Zeroes looks and runs on PC. Other developers should hang their heads in shame (Ubisoft).

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tumblr_m70mmuAgAR1qd9cioo1_500.jpg

My metal gears are like my childrens. I love them all!

Earlier that day:

tumblr_m7br6r5sbv1rz4d9ho1_500.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    game rankings dot com
    1 ≥ 2 = 3 > PW > 4 >>> PO

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Sooooo should I play Metal Gear Solid 2?

Here's the deal. I hated MGS 4 because of how stupidly long its cutscenes were, which I wouldn't mind a whole lot if they didn't also come off as so much nonsense. And I hear MGS 2 is closer to 4 in its cutscenes : gametime ratio than it is to 1 (which I loved).

I've also recently read a bunch about all that Kojima was trying to say with the game and while interesting, I'm wondering if it's worth experiencing for myself. Would it have any impact on someone playing the game 13 years down the line, far removed from the hype that was so essential to the statement Kojima was trying to make, and aware of the Raiden twist? And someone with a low tolerance for pseudophilosophical nonsense that doesn't. fucking. stop.

(I know MGS1 had a lot pseudophilosophical nonsense too but it didn't seem to take itself as seriously as Guns of the Patriots and certainly wasn't as interminable.)

I also have MGS3 waiting for me on my ps3 hard drive when I get back home. Very excited to play that one.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Metal Gear Solid 2 (The Correct Answer)
    No way Jose

2>3>mgr>4>pw>1>gz>po

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    MGS2 has very long cutscenes, many of which, if you aren't really invested in the world or the story, will come across as mostly boring rubbish. If you found 4 particularly offensive, don't play 2

Javen on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I think 4 is a good bit worse than 2 in terms of nonsensical crap

No one in 2 rambles for ten minutes about how the light burns the shadow away but the darkness remains or how 0 becomes 1 so you have to turn 0 to nothing or 1 will become 100

Aside from a few bits at the very end, the long cutscenes are a lot more character and plot based. It doesn't start getting philosophical until the end

Basically, you MIGHT like it. But you might not!

Regardless 3 sounds way more up your alley so that one first

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    that's a lot of incomplete moirails going on there

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The thing about 2 is that when it starts spouting out nonsense it's actually supposed to be nonsense

As opposed to EVA and her stupid apple or whatever the fuck that was

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular

No one in 2 rambles for ten minutes about how the light burns the shadow away but the darkness remains or how 0 becomes 1 so you have to turn 0 to nothing or 1 will become 100

Aside from a few bits at the very end, the long cutscenes are a lot more character and plot based. It doesn't start getting philosophical until the end

See, statements like that are actually encouraging. Most of what I'd read so far had given me the impression that 2 and 4 were basically peas in a pod. Reading that 2 isn't as bad as 4 in that sense makes me wanna try it out.

• Options
    edited December 2014

See, statements like that are actually encouraging. Most of what I'd read so far had given me the impression that 2 and 4 were basically peas in a pod. Reading that 2 isn't as bad as 4 in that sense makes me wanna try it out.

4 and 2 are similar in that they're both very cutscene heavy and at a surface level they're both just kind of nuts

2 is much more coherent and well-realized though

I like a lot of the ideas in 4 but the script, or at the very least the translation, needed a few more passes

"If you won't be a slave to fate then go and embrace your destiny" might be the dumbest sentence I've ever heard in a video game, and that's an example of a line that I know got butchered in the localization

In Japanese Naomi's basically telling snake not to take his death lying down and to go rock shit

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    The thing about 2 is that when it starts spouting out nonsense it's actually supposed to be nonsense

As opposed to EVA and her stupid apple or whatever the fuck that was

Asinine dialogue aside I really hate what they did with Eva in 4

Like she goes from being a spy that plays big boss like a DAMN FIDDLE and maybe has some sympathy for him but ultimately is willing to use him and throw him away

To being a nut job that literally worships big boss as a god

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    No way Jose

2>3>mgr>4>pw>1>gz>po

Let's go to the board for the correct answer, survey says!

3>MGR>1&2>PW>PO>4&GZ

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah, as much as I give MGS 2 shit for having long cutscenes, MGS 4's cutscenes are just as long (if not longer, sometimes) and are riddled with shitty and overwrought dialogue.

For example: every time Drebin talks about the B&B squad.

And anything that involves Eva.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I'm not counting revengeance in the lineup because it's not a Solid game

I'll wait until MGR2 to start ranking them

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Portable Ops (hahaha yeah right)
    as a person who has only played Revengeance

I think i'm gonna on metal gear games I will play, probably just watch speed torture himself through the rest of 'em

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    For what it adds to Metal Gear's mythology, Portable Ops is a pretty important chapter in the life of Big Boss. The game just hasn't aged well.

Peace Walker from a gameplay standpoint is a mcuh tighter and enjoyable game. Unfortunately most of the major plot elements it needed were already done by Portable Ops, so we got a ton of AI fights instead of against cool ninja guys and weirdos with freeze powers and shit.

It's a shame Konami can't smoosh the two games together or something.

Other than the main story beats of snake meeting Campbell and learning how to become a leader and ocelot stealing the legacy I really dislike the story of portable ops

Yeah these are the parts that stick out to me and I remember really liking.

Screw everything about Null and Gene though.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    I need to find a good LP for 4, PW & PO since I won't be purchasing thos systems for one game apiece.

• Options
    Chip and Ironicus have some of the best metal gear LPs

http://chipandironicus.com

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Once I get to peace Walker the stream will basically be a lets play since I'm gonna play every mission and watch he cutscenes

• Options
    And maybe once I big boss mgs4 I'll play it for reals on liquid easy to celebrate beating all the mainline mgses to date

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Sadly this wasn't a poll about which Metal Gear robot is your favorite so I'm just gonna declare right here that RAY is the best.
    1DQgRV8.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Zeke is the best metal gear because you can paint it bright pink and yellow

also it is named zeke

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    1DQgRV8.jpg

• Options
    I dislike ZEKE for the nerdiest reason

The metal gear in mg1 doesn't have an all caps codename, just a production number, TX-55

REX was supposed to be the first metal gear with a codename

Why would they go from codenames to production models back to codenames

That's dumb

• Options
    hassile???????????????????????

• Options
    Also why does it look more like REX than the tx 55

• Options
    Huntera wrote: »
    Spelling is hard

• Options
    Spelling is hard

you spelt that so wrong, yo

• Options
    Yeah, ZEKE is dumb because it's just a rehash of REX aka the best metal gear design

Although you can customize it soooo hm, it's kind of a tossup

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

Random Hassile, the mysterious bounty hunter

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

Because it is based on the monster hunter creature duh!

The tx whatever dev team probably couldn't draw on mythical creatures so their designs were relatively, you know, sensible and efficient

The otacon is a big ol' nerd so he goes back to anime dinosaurs

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I was hoping for a poll about the robots, not the games themselves. In this case I'm going to vote for the write-in candidate, Larlar.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I was hoping for a poll about the robots, not the games themselves. In this case I'm going to vote for the write-in candidate, Larlar.

the larlar choice is portable ops, by the way

• Options
    My ZEKE is painted Amuro Ray's custom white-and-lavender color scheme because I am the big mecha nerd

But even so I still don't like it and phantom pain's metal gear because they're so boringly REX-derivative

Though EXCELSUS is the actual worst metal gear, it's not even a contest

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Daypigeon wrote: »

Because it is based on the monster hunter creature duh!

The tx whatever dev team probably couldn't draw on mythical creatures so their designs were relatively, you know, sensible and efficient

The otacon is a big ol' nerd so he goes back to anime dinosaurs

The monster hunter missions in peace walker were ABSOLUTELY CANON.

So was the ape escape mission in MGS3 and the skateboard mission in MGS2. And SSB Brawl.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.