As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guilty Gear Xrd] - ITT, Death comes a ridin' on a midnight train!

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited December 2014 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ9Cd4MKqHs
The Backyard is a secret dimension which holds the source code of the universe. At the turn of the new millennium, mankind entered this world and learned how to tweak the laws, breaking those pesky laws of Conservation of Matter and Energy for the benefit of mankind. This power was thereby dubbed Magic. Harboring an era of peace for mank-pffftAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Yeah no. Sol Badguy, the Guilty Gear himself, must put aside his differences with his rival Ky Kiske and face his past coming back to haunt him. In the events of Overture, Sol saved the world and killed the emotionless Valentine, only to realize that whoever she was, she had a connection to his dead ex-girlfriend, Aria, who the world knows as Justice. Little did he and Ky know that "Valentine" was just one of many. Not one, but two Valentines have appeared. The first, Ramlethal, threatens to destroy the world. The second, Elphelt, has free will and the ability to suppress the powers of the other.

Guilty Gear Xrd is the latest installment and return of the Guilty Gear franchise, now that the IP has fallen back into the hands of Arc Systems Works. Boasting intense, high paced fighting, complex but easy to learn mechanics, and Daisuke Ishiwatari's bizzare character designs and Sweet Blowjobby METAL.

The changes to the Roman Cancel system are incredible. This video breaks it down beautifully.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFBgZz8278

Essentially, pressing three buttons at any time you're not hitting the opponent gives you the newest, most important cancel, the YRC (Yellow Roman Cancel.) You can use it on almost anything, you can even use it when idle. You can cancel almost anything, from launching a projectile to the slightest punch. And it only costs 25% meter! Having personally tried it, beginners will wrestle with it at first. For example, its possible to launch a projectile and cancel before you produced the projectile. Button mashers will be punished as they cancel over and over for no reason, eating their meter. But when you get the hang of it, there is potential for serious mind games and offensive and defensive opportunities.

This Shoryuken article reveals a new 64 player online battlefield where players can slap the shit out of each other, create house rules, and tournaments with ease. Online lobbies are surprisingly diverse. You chose your region, such as various cuts of North America, Europe and Asia, and can break it down further into major cities, each of which gets its own lobby of up to 64 people. For example, I live in Korea, so there is a "Seoul" server available to me, but I'm better off selecting a city in Japan where players have been Guilty Gearing for a while now. If I really wanted to, I could choose a North American city if I wanted to play in the morning. The opposite would be true for American players wanting to content with Japanese opponents. Its interesting and I'll experiment more.

The American release date is December 16th, a stone's throw away from the Japanese release date of December 4. Buckle up, its time to rock.
ggxrd-online-lobby-01.jpg

Post PS3 and PS4 gamertags if you want to Rebel Duel, because GGXrd has cross platform compatability on both devices! Hoever the Android/iPhone companion is for PS4 accounts only.

PSN tags: ArcticArctos

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    GUILTY

GEAR

XRD????

the most graphics of all time

THE MOST NONSENSE TITLE OF ALL TIME

THE MOST... WEIRD METAL REFERENCES OF ALL TIME?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I forgot gameplay footage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaffcsHR2N4

Notice that in advanced play, you really don't see that many supers launched, because players are devoting all that meter to YRCs.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    This game came out today! Due to the delay on the limited edition, I went digital. I've doven straight into Story Mode and its great. It has no combat, so I'm just chillaxing and playing Hearthstone as it plays out. It takes place after the events of Arcade mode. In this sense, Arcade mode is the Intro. Sin, and Ramethal are suprisingly fantastic. My hatred for Elphelt has only worsened and Bedman is frightening and despicable. Sol is finally getting called out for being a piece of shit.
    And holy shit, Dr. Paradigm is back!

Cantido on
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    This game came out today! Due to the delay on the limited edition, I went digital. I've doven straight into Story Mode and its great. It has no combat, so I'm just chillaxing and playing Hearthstone as it plays out. It takes place after the events of Arcade mode. In this sense, Arcade mode is the Intro. Sin, and Ramethal are suprisingly fantastic. My hatred for Elphelt has only worsened and Bedman is frightening and despicable. Sol is finally getting called out for being a piece of shit.
    And holy shit, Dr. Paradigm is back!

The zero-gameplay story mode really caught me off guard. I guess it's fine. I hope I'm able to enjoy it despite having no GG experience.

Is there a community for this game? I can't really find one; everywhere's dead. I guess it doesn't matter for now, since I'm too terrible to compete with others at this point in time, but I'm still curious

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    What ended up being the stick situation? I was going to hold off for the PS4 version when I get my hands on one, but if it doesn't support PS3 sticks anyhow, I'll just grab the last-gen version.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @Emperor_Z I really couldn't tell you because I'm still fiddling with all the online network features myself. Also, I'm in Korea, not America, which means I end up playing in the various Japanese servers because I don't see a lot of Korean play. I randomly make a room and people flock to it and kick the shit out of each other. In one room, people can play on one of four "virtual cabinets" and players can queue up and watch the game or just move into a different cabinet. Words really can't describe it, but its excellent.

As for sticks, Ps4 does not support PS3 sticks. Mad Cats has released this gorgeous and aesthetically pleasing stick for PS4/PS3 compatibility.

EDIT - While Story Mode was an excellent ride, I don't like where the plot is heading.
    It looks like its going to turn into a typical JRPG "God is a Evil Totalitarian Republican Whatever and We Must Kill Him" story later on. What I thought was the origin for Magic (being discovered in responce to war and energy crises) was not the case. In 1999, a female being called The Universal Will fried all human electronics, then the Sanctus Populi brought Magic into the world and became the dominant semi religion. The Valentines are created to carry out the Universal Will's misanthropy. Lo and behold the final villain revealed at the end is their Pope.

Where's my Monado...

Cantido on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm glad this series remains an uncompromising vision of heavy metal nonsense.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Cantido wrote: »
    @Emperor_Z I really couldn't tell you because I'm still fiddling with all the online network features myself. Also, I'm in Korea, not America, which means I end up playing in the various Japanese servers because I don't see a lot of Korean play. I randomly make a room and people flock to it and kick the shit out of each other. In one room, people can play on one of four "virtual cabinets" and players can queue up and watch the game or just move into a different cabinet. Words really can't describe it, but its excellent.

As for sticks, Ps4 does not support PS3 sticks. Mad Cats has released this gorgeous and aesthetically pleasing stick for PS4/PS3 compatibility.

EDIT - While Story Mode was an excellent ride, I don't like where the plot is heading.
    It looks like its going to turn into a typical JRPG "God is a Evil Totalitarian Republican Whatever and We Must Kill Him" story later on. What I thought was the origin for Magic (being discovered in responce to war and energy crises) was not the case. In 1999, a female being called The Universal Will fried all human electronics, then the Sanctus Populi brought Magic into the world and became the dominant semi religion. The Valentines are created to carry out the Universal Will's misanthropy. Lo and behold the final villain revealed at the end is their Pope.

Where's my Monado...

Oh, I actually don't know what the activity level is like for network play, haven't tried it myself yet (though I've heard there's a bit of lag). I just meant places of discussion

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    PSN is in the sig. Gonna be spending most of the day unlocking Sin from story mode though, and then in the lab with May and Venom. But hey, add me if you got the game :)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Good god the AI is agile, even on normal. Maybe not with all characters, but I can't keep up with Faust, Bedman, and Zato at all. I should really try to learn to play with that level of confusing aggression.

I'd say that my own playstyle is tends to be methodical, but really it's just that my brain can't react to or produce such constant, varied action

Emperor_Z on