As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things that make your brain tingle [ASMR/ oddly satisfying/ relaxing stuff] thread

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I get this when (this sounds weird, I'm well aware) I'm watch someone successfully figure something out. The trial and error being the wind up, then watching as things click into place, followed by success. Completely selfish reason I enjoyed teaching and coaching. But even watching the dog figure out how to manipulate her treat ball or watching my nephews build something Lego then sort of shake off the instructions and hit "the zone." Might also be why watching someone struggle is super hard for me.

This sort of experience is what makes me thing it has to do with knowledge and understanding.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    I'll have to watch a few of the videos with headphones on later today. The page flipping guy's voice creeped me out too much to enjoy that one though. I know I'm not in the minority on this one, but we have a fish tank with a little centralized bubbler and two beta fish (male and female) in it. I can start at it forever. The movement of the fish just pulls me in and the bubble noises just top it off.

Yeah, after watching a few of these videos the quiet whispering just creeps me out. I want the noises, nothin' else.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i don't get anything from the voices or unboxes or general calmness or whatnot

but back since elementary school, i remember i would get the good head feeling tingles whenever like another student would teach me how to do something one-on-one. I feel like it was more pronounced when a girl was helping me, but i think that was because i interacted with girls one-on-one so less frequently than with other snot-nosed boy childrens

and i guess i still get this mildly with doctor visits

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Almost everyone will zone out from watching a campfire

Except that guy we threw into the last one, he just WOULD. NOT. SHUT. UP.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    On a more serious note, the old meditation trick of ringing a single bell and then following the tone into silence was great until I started getting tinnitus. After that, the simple white noise of a fan was my go to for a long time.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah this is something I've had my whole life, I just figured it was a side effect of something I found particularly interesting to watch or listen to. I only found out it was a thing about a week ago after hearing something on the radio about it. The old bbc two series "trade secrets" was a big trigger for me when I was little, a whole lot of short programmes about a professional giving various tips. (Like a butler giving household tips like how to clean spoons or why newspaper gets ironed or how to get wine out of a tablecloth).

It's pretty cool that it is something other people have, I asked and apparently I get it from my Dad which is unsurprising as we are very similar.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Some of them are just way too creepy for me. I really can't get it from any English sneaking asmrtist. The very obvious intentional ones where they do the same thing over and over again and tap on things for too long just frustrate me. My very favorite channel is ASMRpome. She's a Japanese woman with nice nails who just sort of gently touches things and talks about them in a very soothing voice. She's speaking in Japanese not English so it helps with the creepy factor. I fall asleep to a playlist of her every night

Maybe I'll learn Japanese by accident hahaha

Here are some of my favs by her:

http://youtu.be/ajbT2Lb4siI

http://youtu.be/2sWYwRDH2P8

http://youtu.be/5hXnG1qyuA0

beavotron on
  • Options
    Oh also: Miyazaki movies give me crazy asmr.
    So does the scene in the nightmare before Christmas where Sally is making soup for the doctor.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I first experienced it listening to my pediatrician speak. He grew up with a stutter so he would always speak in a low, monotone, very deliberate way. Later on I'd find myself relaxing while watching public access cable collectors shows.

It wasn't until the internet that I learned other people experienced it too.

Some of my favorites are:
    Rrcherrypie
    http://youtu.be/QTQu2N5aK1A

The French Whisperer http://youtu.be/ODPfcwQ8ND8

• Options
    Rrcherrypie is a personal favorite as well. You might also like SOUNDsculptures:

http://youtu.be/kmPQO2R7odw

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    This triggers for me when I listen to people eat, which is of course super creepy. But when I was a kid and we would go pick apples by the river my favorite part was listening to other people eat them.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if I experience this or if I can just give myself a goosebumps-feeling on the back of my neck/head/shoulders at will.

Assuming the latter.

It sometimes happens on its own but I haven't strongly associated it with anything especially pleasurable - sometimes it happens if I'm very lightly tickled or touched? Like, it might happen when I see something "cool" but I feel like I kinda make it happen, rather than it being completely involuntary.

Is this completely involuntary to you guys or can you make it happen?

• Options
    It's involuntary and based on external stimuli usually but it's not really understood what exactly it is so it could very well be linked to other things

• Options
    So far I haven't been able to will it to happen. I think it's more of a triggered thing, like beavs said. And like when I'm listening to a trigger video/noise I can't tell when it's going to happen either, it just does.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I learned about this not too long ago.

I seem to recall trying to explain the feeling to the rest of my family when I was, like, 7 years old, but nobody else in my family experiences it, so I just sort of forgot about it.

When I found out it was a thing I listened to hours and hours of ASMR stuff.

And I found that the more I listened to it, the weaker the sensation was. Like, listening to it too often was building up a tolerence. So now I don't listen to it all that often, maybe once a month.

Does anybody else experience a tolerance effect?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I like listening to the audio of ear cleaning, ear massaging, and ear blowing. Really auditory, binaural stuff.

It works for me when I go to sleep.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    I learned about this not too long ago.

I seem to recall trying to explain the feeling to the rest of my family when I was, like, 7 years old, but nobody else in my family experiences it, so I just sort of forgot about it.

When I found out it was a thing I listened to hours and hours of ASMR stuff.

And I found that the more I listened to it, the weaker the sensation was. Like, listening to it too often was building up a tolerence. So now I don't listen to it all that often, maybe once a month.

Does anybody else experience a tolerance effect?

Yeah, that's a thing. You can definitely overdo it. GentleWhispering talks about it in a few of her videos, and if you find you're not getting triggered anymore the best thing you can do is stop for awhile.

Which I find fascinating. It's one thing to build up a physical tolerance to stimuli (pain, flavors, etc), but like building a resistance to entirely external stimuli causing an unusual physical reaction is just so cool, conceptually.

Sometimes I'll go weeks without a trigger, others I'll get triggered constantly for days. I've had to teach myself not to chase that dragon so hard.

• Options
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    This triggers for me when I listen to people eat, which is of course super creepy. But when I was a kid and we would go pick apples by the river my favorite part was listening to other people eat them.

This, but especially soft foods and drinking. I get all wibblty-wobbly hearing someone carry on a pleasant conversation while taking occasional sips of a thick beverage from a wide-mouthed cup or smacking their lips a little bit while eating a fruit bar or something.

• Options
    Oh okay yeah @beavotron‌ that Sound Sculptures video is causing me to just deflate like a parade float. Good call, thank you.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE the sound of someone biting into an apple & such, and also the crunch of a big potato chip or something

this is a good thread

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I get a euphoric feeling when I get on the downslope of a small ramp.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't really understand what this phenomenon is. Like, you get goosebumps?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    It varies from person to person, but to me it kind of feels like my scalp has a very pleasant and soft electric current running all over just beneath the surface that branches off down my back and sometimes into my core.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I get the back of the head tingle, down along the spine and radiating out from there. I can feel all the tingly muscles being relaxing as well. A mild euphoria follows.

Interestingly, the tingle and muscle relaxation happens predominantly on the side of the body of the ear that's hearing it (I use a single ear headset, since my roommates like to chat with me while we use our computers.)

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

When you were a kid did you do that thing with you hands where you pretend to break an egg on someones head? This feels sort of like that but more intense and tingly.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I've never had a hangover. And I've been blackout drunk.

I used to do this self-hypnosis thing when I couldn't sleep. I'd lie very still and imagine my toes falling asleep, then the ball of my foot, then my heel, etc. and would continue mentally working my way up my body in small increments. If I moved I'd have to start over.

I do this to fall asleep, but I'm a huge nerd, so it's all envisioned like a computer unloading .dlls and progress bars.

Speaking of progress bars why do I sit and watch them progress? It isn't going to download faster just because you watch it!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think I have an idea what you mean then, but I've only ever experienced that kind of thing from illicit substances.

Those videos mostly just irritate me - apparently I don't like extended whispering. The Bob Ross ones are relaxing though.

What an intriguing thing. I wish there was more (any) info about the science of it. Brains are so weird.

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    that tolerance thing is an interesting development. it sounds like you are tricking your brain into releasing some drugs or whatever.

also, this might partially explain why south korea is obsessed with eating videos.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/geLtFCxDs40

I'm pretty sure this is the video that kicked off the ASMR interest of today.

• Options
    the cheat wrote: »
    that tolerance thing is an interesting development. it sounds like you are tricking your brain into releasing some drugs or whatever.

also, this might partially explain why south korea is obsessed with eating videos.

Everything your brain does is just it releasing drugs!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote: »

Oh, man. Don't get me started on endorphins.

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    BYToady wrote: »

where did it even get these drugs to begin with? I bet it was todd. I always said that boy was a bad influence!

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    t

It's like if goosebumps were your favorite thing ever, you only got them down your neck and back, and it was a little embarrassing how much they put you into a trance.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Oh, man. Don't get me started on endorphins.

O the thrill of combat gave me such an endorphin high. That is got really scarey for everyone else in my fire team to be around me.
    I craved not just a shoot out but that howling fury of hand to hand.
    I can still remember it

The Asmr triggers for me I have never figured out fully. somethings work all the time others don't. sometimes one thing will give me a thrill and yet most of the time it fails to.

• Options
    Sometimes people equate ASMR tingles with a sexual thing and they're not completely off-base with that in my case. Something triggering an ASMR response isn't too dissimilar from something triggering sexual arousal in how it works. The experience is sort of a "oh wow here we go" kind of wave and can cause goosebumps sometimes. I'm pretty sure it also effects my heartbeat and definitely my breathing if I lean into it.

The feeling usually starts with a chemical sensation in the back of my brain/top of my spine and it sometimes comes with a shiver while I feel my eyes glaze over. If I want a stronger effect I just do what I can to relax into it, which means laying down in a comfortable position with headphones on and closing my eyes if the stimuli is audio-based. If it's visual I'll recline so I can still watch it. Turning the lights off helps.

I don't use illicit substances so I'm actually kinda curious what the crossover is with people who experience ASMR and people how habitually use mood-altering drugs.

• Options
    I don't know how to best describe my feelings but the best tingles feel like you're getting your hair washed with warm water while your head is in a stylist's sink which happens to be filled with cooler water and a handful of Pop Rocks which are centered around the bottom curve of your skull to the top of your neck and sometimes all the way to between your shoulder blades.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I watched some of the those videos. They strike me as bizarre and kind of grating. Certainly not fun in the brain.

I'm certain this experience takes a particular mindset. An openness to it. And the idea of these hack the brain videos makes me uncomfortable, not the best for the experience.

Like I said before, music that I feel I've really understood what they were expressing is the only thing that gives me this sort of feeling.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    That's fine. You don't have whatever genetic or chemical short-circuit it takes for them to work and it's absolutely understandable that those videos would be irritating nonsense without it.

Part of the fun thing about this whole phenomena is how it makes no rational sense whatsoever.

Kinda like those people who taste soap when they eat cilantro or smell colors.