As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dream Games, or, OH MAN IT'D BE SO COOL

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I have long had the idea for a horror movie game. You would play different monsters from films (slashers, ghosts, zombie, etc.) and would have to complete a movie by stalking your prey and offing them. Once there was only one person left, you would switch to their point of view and would have to defeat the monster.

I would keep the tone fairly light by making it pretty cartoon-y and showing pics of you celebrating with cast and crew after each level.

Each "film" would have several different settings associated with it and would come with randomly generated objectives. You would have to meet a minimum number of these objectives to succeed and meeting all of the objectives would net bonus levels, alternate costumes and the like. Objectives might look something like this for a slasher film:

-Kill the "vixen" first.
    -Kill the "jock" with a sports implement.
    -Kill a victim during a lightning strike.
    -Trick a victim into finding a false scare.
    -Leave the "virgin" as the final survivor.
    -Complete the monster role in 4 minutes.
    -Complete the monster role without being seen.
    -Kill the monster in the barn.
    -Kill the monster without using a weapon.

Complete 5 objectives to advance to the next film.
    Complete all objectives to unlock the "Slasher in Space" level.

After each level is completed, the player could watch a movie trailer showing their highest scoring scares ala the Driver games.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    that's already on kickstarter

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Infinity Engine-style games (or Arcanum/Fallout 1-2/whatever) with modernized/improved/streamlined mechanics

In any kind of setting, really.

did you play Shadowrun Returns?

Yes.

But I want more.

fair enough

• Options

If you're referring the horror-movie game, care to provide a link? I didn't see anything close just searching for "horror movie video game" or "b-movie video game". I would fund that game in an instant and then ask them to try to kickstart their dream-stealing machine.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    I have long had the idea for a horror movie game. You would play different monsters from films (slashers, ghosts, zombie, etc.) and would have to complete a movie by stalking your prey and offing them. Once there was only one person left, you would switch to their point of view and would have to defeat the monster.

I would keep the tone fairly light by making it pretty cartoon-y and showing pics of you celebrating with cast and crew after each level.

Each "film" would have several different settings associated with it and would come with randomly generated objectives. You would have to meet a minimum number of these objectives to succeed and meeting all of the objectives would net bonus levels, alternate costumes and the like. Objectives might look something like this for a slasher film:

-Kill the "vixen" first.

After each level is completed, the player could watch a movie trailer showing their highest scoring scares ala the Driver games.

This reminds me of the of well, spoilers, a certain movie.
    Cabin in the Woods

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    A ninja game where you actually behave like historical ninja. Heavy emphasis on disguises and stealth, almost no combat. Like Hitman, but along with assassinations there's espionage, theft, sabotage, and arson.

Also known as "my hopes for the Japanese Assassin's Creed."

I think the Tenchu games fit this theme better, but still not quite with the heavy traditional ninja emphasis. There is a fair bit of combat, but the game gives you every opportunity to complete each stage as stealthily as possible. Not much room for the sabotage and arson, though.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

-Kill the "vixen" first.

This reminds me of the of well, spoilers, a certain movie.
    Cabin in the Woods

While it has the same "meta" qualities, I definitely see this as more on the comedy spectrum of horror/comedy as that movie. That film did make me suspect dream thievery as well, since I have been discussing this idea with friends for at least eight years.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    we can't link kickstarters but the game was called Last Year

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Last Year looks exactly like the modular Left 4 Dead inspired slasher game I've wanted for years now.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I want more ace combat games. Not the silly ones like gritty war stuff ace combat or using teamwork as a superpower. No, the awesome and not silly one where you flew with the callsign mobeus 1 and you fight Stonehenge as...
    A...
    Final boss...

Fuck you just give me more ace combat

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Yesssss Ace Combat. That's my shit.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I know they're making a Shadowrun MMO, but I really am not crazy about what is being made.
    I want:
    Mission-based PVP where everyone who has that same mission can be damaged by your attacks. Yes, this means there is friendly fire.
    Oh, too many gankers killing characters just to be an asshole? Guess what, the game generates a bounty, so anyone who wants to gets to come after them with no repercussion.
    Gang-based character advancement, where characters get passed from their starter area street gangs as allies and targets, moved up to more powerful groups as patrons and targets. End game being envoy and enemy of dragons.
    I have an idea for rezzing being your sponsoring groups bringing you back, lowering your status with them and obligating additional missions before you get back to your shadowrunning life.

I have more ideas, but I'll shut up now.

• Options
    edited December 2014

If you're referring the horror-movie game, care to provide a link? I didn't see anything close just searching for "horror movie video game" or "b-movie video game". I would fund that game in an instant and then ask them to try to kickstart their dream-stealing machine.

@astrobstrd‌
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lastyear/last-year-5-vs-1-multiplayer-survival-horror

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I want more historical city building games like Serria used to make.

However, I really want one of those but post apocalyptic. I know many people are tired of post apocalyptic stuff, but I feel those games are more about survival than rebuilding society. That would be the focus of this game. Give the player the tools to create a wide range of societies. Early on you can scavenge for supplies, but as time goes on they run out and you have to start creating things again. These two aspects then combine in how you deal with other survivor towns. Do you bring peace to the wasteland with your might or diplomacy? Do you share your towns products, or create a merchant empire?

• Options
    I would like CA to stop fucking around in ancient Rome and make Empire 2: Total War but instead of the 1700s it starts in 1881 and ends in 1904

The map consists of sub-Saharan Africa, and each turn represents a month (so roughly 276 turns of play). Playable nations are Britain, France, Germany, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, Transvaal & Oranje, the Zulu Empire, Abyssinia, Wadai and the Sudanese Mahdi Army of Muhammad Ahmad. The vast majority of Africa starts under the control of non-playable one-province tribes and petty kingdoms, similar to the rebels and barbarians of other TW titles.

Europeans obviously enjoy vastly superior firepower and technology, but this is balanced by limited manpower and resources: the player represents the colonial governor in Capetown or Leopoldville, and only has limited access to their nation's military might. European regular army regiments, artillery etc cannot be raised in colonial territory - they have to be imported via the colonial capital, at great expense. The majority of European forces are therefore well-armed but poorly trained colonial militias and unreliable native askari levies, backed up by limited numbers of proper soldiers, the loss of which can be crippling even if they kill many times their number. European armies suffer heavy attrition the further they move from their own forts or settlements, and must maintain supply lines which can be cut by enemy forces. This must be mitigated by developing infrastructure, limiting the possible speed of expansion. You can also sail gunboats up rivers to provide transport and direct fire support to your armies.

European powers are also subject to the policies of their Home Governments, which mostly exist to issue missions (conquer X territory before France, etc), for which they dole out rewards, primarily coveted European troops. While European players can invade any native powers they please, the Home Government takes an extremely dim view of armed conflict with other Europeans, and incursions into foreign territory will be forced to withdraw after a few turns on the orders of the Crown - which can be delayed by using agents to fabricate a political justification for your actions. It is furthermore impossible for the colonial powers to conquer another European's capital, except in the eventuality that their Home Governments declare open warfare on one another, in which case everything is fair game.

Local African nations - the Boer states, the Zulus, etc - are subject to no such limitations, with complete control over their own political interests and military decisions. They also have significantly greater manpower and are not subject to supply lines or attrition modifiers. However, all of them lack domestic industrial capacity, and must either import modern guns and artillery or capture them in the field. These countries, all of which (except Abyssinia) historically lost by 1904, present interesting challenges with diverse tactical capabilities distinct from one another and from the colonial powers: the Zulus, for example, have the fewest guns, but their impis are more numerous, move faster and have higher morale, while Transvaal has fewer troops overall, but lots of excellent skirmishers with repeater rifles, as well as superior trade ties for importing foreign artillery, and the Abyssinians get a solid mix of levy spearmen and musketeers in large numbers with last-century artillery support.

Repeating rifles, machine guns, breech-loading artillery and ironclad steam warships were all already in Fall of the Samurai, and that was the best gunpowder gameplay in the entire Total War series despite being grafted awkwardly onto the mechanics of a game built around katanas and matchlocks. It also allows players to use those weapons alongside spears and bows & arrows without absolutely replacing or eclipsing the latter. Line formations were still normal battlefield doctrine for rifle troops, and a purpose-built set of game mechanics could easily incorporate a cover system and open-order drill to represent Boer and latter-day British doctrine in the Boer War. This is the most modern warfare you can represent without totally changing the Total War model.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I want more historical city building games like Serria used to make.

However, I really want one of those but post apocalyptic. I know many people are tired of post apocalyptic stuff, but I feel those games are more about survival than rebuilding society. That would be the focus of this game. Give the player the tools to create a wide range of societies. Early on you can scavenge for supplies, but as time goes on they run out and you have to start creating things again. These two aspects then combine in how you deal with other survivor towns. Do you bring peace to the wasteland with your might or diplomacy? Do you share your towns products, or create a merchant empire?

Have you played A Dark Room? Or King of Dragon Pass?

Because your idea kinda sounds like a more fully featured mash-up of the two, at least to me.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    An RPG that uses an engine from any of the good first or third-person shooters.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    A fine dining version of Cook, Serve Delicious in which you start out at the absolute bottom in a kitchen and work your way up to Head Chef.

A game that would fully utilize the camera and microphone of the Xbone: Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares 2015. You play as Ramsey in a beat and motion timing game, but instead of dancing in DDR or singing karaoke, you're screaming obscenities at virtual cooks and using arm and body motion to slam counters and throw food in the trash. You will also occasionally have to do a spit take.

• Options
    winderwinder Registered User regular
    Dongs can you please quit whatever your current job is and start working for CA like, immediately??

Also this is not really a dream game but I feel like I read an article on the PA front page about an RPG where you are an adventurer and you have to group up with random npcs you meet in a pub, but they all have their own kind of quirks and fears and so on and the further you venture into some horrifying lair or dungeon the greater chance the npcs will start freaking out or like melt down or they will encounter something they really fear etc. Anyway, it sounded really cool to me but I can't get google to find it at all

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I would love an RPG that instead of having a narrow good/bad dichotomy instead has a bunch of different attributes that your choices affect. You could have brave/cowardly, charitable/miserly, honest/deceitful, trusting/cynical, etc.

So it would allow you to play a character that is more multi-faceted without ending up treading a middle path that ends up being pretty shitty in most RPGs.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    I would love an RPG that instead of having a narrow good/bad dichotomy instead has a bunch of different attributes that your choices affect. You could have brave/cowardly, charitable/miserly, honest/deceitful, trusting/cynical, etc.

So it would allow you to play a character that is more multi-faceted without ending up treading a middle path that ends up being pretty shitty in most RPGs.

Like earlier Ultima games, where different decisions you make change the different sliders. Most combatants will flee near the end of a fight, and it's dishonorable to fight a fleeing opponent for extra goodies and experience. Stuff like that. If you want to be a good person it's going to be a little bit of a pain in the ass.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I want a Fire Pro Wrestling game that comes with a full edit suite so people can make their own sprites, animations, and moves.

I want a wrestling game that simulates actual wrestling and not "we'll pretend it's real so it's more like a fighting game" wrestling. You control one guy, the other is AI controlled but you get to call all the moves and to win you have to fulfill a number of objectives set for you beforehand, like "don't go longer than five minutes" and "get the crowd heat up above 70% before going home".

Alternatively, I want a wrestling game not made by Yukes.

The Japanese PS2 game King of Colosseum 2 kind of did that with their audience ranking system. Your matches got graded on how entertaining they were to the crowd, and you could choose different promotion's fans, which would have different criteria. So All Japan fans wanted to see lots of big moves, near falls, and back and forth action. U-Style fans wanted lots of submissions and strikes, and so on. I wish US games would pick up on that.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well, first I have to second the notion of a Squaresoft Mario RPG 2 and Sonic Generations 2.

Next up, I want a gigantic 2D SotN-style Castlevania on a console, not a handheld (also a sequel to Harmony of Despair while we're at it, with tons of more playable characters).

I want Telltale to tackle a variety of different shows that could make a pretty awesome game with their current system (Battlestar Galactica, Buffy/Angel, Doctor Who, X-Files, Pushing Daisies, etc.).

I want a Parasite Eve 3, because despite their flaws I really enjoyed the first two games and would like to see a third game in that series.

A new Rival Schools/Project Justice game.

I also want a Saints Row 3. No, not Saints Row: the Third, I want them to pull a Zelda and split the timeline and make a direct sequel to Saints Row 2 focusing on what made that game so great: being the best damn sandbox available with tons of customization. Give me a bigger Stilwater, with even more stuff hidden everywhere (and more homes to purchase everywhere), and even more customization options with my outfits. Give me a variety of gangs I can take down in whatever order I want, and definitely don't do what the fourth game did where a ton of the missions are in long A-to-B hallways that you can't even return to after the mission is over. Also I'd like them to scale back the over-the-topness back to SR2 levels, but that's secondary to making sure it's a giant fun sandbox. They can then proceed to make games in either timeline (or create a new timeline or whatever) so everyone is happy.

I'd also like to see an Assassin Creed game set in Russia, but apparently a comic or something already covered the part I'd like to see? Eh, retcon the comic and make it anyways.

Oh, also an Arkham City-style Ninja Turtles game. Though I'm going to be weird in that I'd want it to be single-player (though obviously with a multiplayer mode, perhaps like in Arkham Origins) with the ability to switch characters. Also with Casey Jones being playable.

Also a Ghostbusters: the Video Game 2. Though they can drop the Rookie and just let me play as the proper Ghostbusters, perhaps each with their own perk and I can choose which one I want to be each mission.

While we're at it, let's have some sort of open-world Power Rangers game where you can fight before morphing into your Ranger outfit, and can also fight with your Zord by itself or combined with the others to form a Megazord.

As for new games entirely, one thing I'd like to see is something like a cross between the Hitman games and the Assassin Creed games...and Majora's Mask. A big modern city where you are someone like Agent 47 and have a huge list of targets that all have daily routines and schedules (perhaps randomized so you have to learn them by observation or something). Then you can choose the time and place to carry out your assignment based on what you think will be the most effective (perhaps include a bunch of unlockable challenges to provide incentives to accomplish more difficult methods).

I'd also like to see kind of a more serious and modern take on a game like Maniac Mansion. The idea I had in mind was that a group of friends were going on a road trip and they were going to take two cars because they couldn't all fit into one. You'd pick which friend you are playing as and then which car you'd ride in (because of the group dynamic, some friends may switch cars depending on which one you are in and which friend you are playing as). The car you are in will inevitably be following the other car, which you will eventually find abandoned by the side of the road in the dark woods, not far from an (apparently) abandoned town. You and the others from your car now must figure out what happened to the friends from the first car. Each specific friend has a special ability or tool that will help in exploring the areas, and the story changes depending on who you are playing as and who was in the car with you and what order you explore things, ultimately resulting in dozens of different endings.

Another game would be one that revolves around your character being a werewolf, but you never actually get to play the werewolf parts. Each "mission" would be you waking up with the sunrise in tattered clothes, trying to figure out what you did as a werewolf the night before without being caught. It'd start out simple enough where you just wake up alone in the woods and just have to find your way home, but soon you start waking up while being actively pursued, or even already locked up in a lab somewhere. There would also be other werewolves who you are trying to identify, as well as figuring out which werewolf is responsible for some grisly murders.

Lars on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I like all those ideas! Those are good ideas.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    winder wrote: »
    Dongs can you please quit whatever your current job is and start working for CA like, immediately??

Also this is not really a dream game but I feel like I read an article on the PA front page about an RPG where you are an adventurer and you have to group up with random npcs you meet in a pub, but they all have their own kind of quirks and fears and so on and the further you venture into some horrifying lair or dungeon the greater chance the npcs will start freaking out or like melt down or they will encounter something they really fear etc. Anyway, it sounded really cool to me but I can't get google to find it at all

That would be Darkest Dungeon, which hits Steam Early Access February 3rd

• Options
    Theater-level RTS World War 1 game covering the Western Front

You command the BEF starting in 1914 and going through to 1918, the map extends from the Channel Coast south to the border of Verdun, zooming seamlessly from that height down to an operational-sscale battlefield, with the smallest discrete unit being the Brigade, represented in an Ultimate General-style painted 2d view that shows the trenches and fortresses and artillery batteries and infantry and stuff.

You start out with only a small portion of the front under your command, but this steadily expands along with your forces until by 1916 the whole thing is yours, with millions of men and hundreds of guns at your disposal. Your ultimate objective is to hold as much French soil as you can, degrade the German Army's fighting strength and force them to capitulate.

As Field Marshal, the player has no direct control of individual brigades. Instead your job is operational planning on the divisional and corps scale, dragging lines of advance on the map, setting phase lines and jumping-off points and marking objectives, which your troops then execute to the best of their ability while you watch the battle unfold, with some limited tactical input allowing you to redirect forces or halt advances or assign resupply assets and artillery barrages, or suspend the offensive entirely - if your lines of communication are adequate for it. Proper planning includes keeping an active reserve to exploit local breakthroughs and a timetable for your commanders to work towards.

The player's primary concern is managing the logistics of attrition warfare: transferring fresh troops to the front and cycling out or disbanding understrength formations, assigning priority for resupply, distributing your limited number of shells to the right artillery batteries in order to support an offensive or stop an incoming attack, ordering air recon and interpreting their reports to deduce the enemy's disposition, assigning the best officers to divisional or corps commands and putting the worst ones where they can do the least harm. Morale must be carefully managed by setting leave schedules and rations for your frontline troops, balancing limited supplies with the demands of your soldiers to prevent mutiny. The key to making this gameplay interesting is that you never, ever have enough shells and bullets and rations and men, so the front is a near-constant state of crisis forcing you to keep borrowing peter to pay fritz, being willing to abandon untenable positions or sacrifice thousands of men to deny a critical one to the enemy.

Simply turtling up in your own trench lines and refusing to advance is not an option, as you are subject to the dubiously viable political objectives set by London, which you had better try to satisfy if you want those artillery batteries to sent to you instead of to Palestine. You also need to keep your allies happy, and that means launching attacks in support of French offensives to the south. And, of course, if you fail to attack the Germans will be free to concentrate their own forces and overwhelm you at their leisure.

Offensives are not meant to result in real breakthroughs - your attacks will always suffer diminishing returns as your brigades outrun their supply and comm lines, but good planning can mitigate those problems and allow you to inflict greater losses on the enemy to eventually win the war.

When you zoom in everything is in rich full color but as the war continues No-Man's-Land bleeds out into the greyscale tones of classic great war photography and its super artistic contrasting with the green fields and forests you can still see behind the lines and, as the fronts shift, former battlefields regain their greenery and color but also grow fields of red poppies proportionate to the number of men who died on both sides in that area and every time you see it you must stop to reflect on the evil man does 2 man

"but dongs the a ww1 game would be boring itd just be trenches forever blah blah fart oh no i shit myself because I am a literal baby who does not understand the tactical and strategic complexities of the Great War" shut up shut up shut up i hate you ww1 is the best

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    give me a game about the warhammer 40k inquisition

do a war table kind of thing just like dragon age inquisition

add investigations like the batman games or la noire to hunt cultists, throw in some la noire style interrogations as well

judge heretics just like you judge certain individuals in dragon age inquisition, with a possibility of bringing them into your retinue if you're radical or you feel they were honestly trying to act in the imperium's interests

gameplay should be like mass effect where you play your inquisitor and bring a couple acolytes as squadmates and even a non-combatant team member to give input on investigations, your adept basically

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    i will forever stroke my dick with this idea in mind, albeit with fat ugly tears rolling down my cheeks when considering the likelihood of it ever happening

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    adeptes arbites spinoff game where you're just playing a couple arbiters cleaning up heretics in a giant hive city, real actiony, gta v style action with quick switching between the two arbiters

they don't typically deal with common criminals of course but like, busting giant drug operations in the midhives, culminate the game's plot with you busting into a noble spire to take down the heretic profiting from it all

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I want a Parasite Eve 3, because despite their flaws I really enjoyed the first two games and would like to see a third game in that series.

I want to forget that Third Birthday exists, and wish Square-Enix would forget too and make a proper sequel.

One that doesn't, y'know, take a dump on the series.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Telltale Games presents: The Silent Hill Chapters

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Telltale Games presents: The Silent Hill Chapters

Give it a year, they can only put out so many things at once.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Sure, however many they need

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    i want capcom to make a modern Saturday Night Slam Masters

but with a massively expanded roster to reflect all the pro wrestler characters they've created since those games came out (Zangief, Hugo Andore and Poison, Rainbow Mika, El Fuerte, Alex, Muscle Power from World Heroes, etc.), and with added match types to reflect the changes in wrestling in the last 20 years

and in my utopian dream, other companies' wrestlers (Bass & Tina Armstrong, Tizoc, Armor King/King) would be DLC

• Options
    I also would really like a Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 because the first one was like my favorite couch co-op game ever and the second one was... decent. Not as good as the first one but still good. Plus, with the popularity of the Marvel movies it'd sell like hotcakes.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Professor Layton vs Carmen Sandiego

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    A dancing game that can tell if you've actually got rhythm.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Theater-level RTS World War 1 game covering the Western Front

You command the BEF starting in 1914 and going through to 1918, the map extends from the Channel Coast south to the border of Verdun, zooming seamlessly from that height down to an operational-sscale battlefield, with the smallest discrete unit being the Brigade, represented in an Ultimate General-style painted 2d view that shows the trenches and fortresses and artillery batteries and infantry and stuff.

You start out with only a small portion of the front under your command, but this steadily expands along with your forces until by 1916 the whole thing is yours, with millions of men and hundreds of guns at your disposal. Your ultimate objective is to hold as much French soil as you can, degrade the German Army's fighting strength and force them to capitulate.

As Field Marshal, the player has no direct control of individual brigades. Instead your job is operational planning on the divisional and corps scale, dragging lines of advance on the map, setting phase lines and jumping-off points and marking objectives, which your troops then execute to the best of their ability while you watch the battle unfold, with some limited tactical input allowing you to redirect forces or halt advances or assign resupply assets and artillery barrages, or suspend the offensive entirely - if your lines of communication are adequate for it. Proper planning includes keeping an active reserve to exploit local breakthroughs and a timetable for your commanders to work towards.

The player's primary concern is managing the logistics of attrition warfare: transferring fresh troops to the front and cycling out or disbanding understrength formations, assigning priority for resupply, distributing your limited number of shells to the right artillery batteries in order to support an offensive or stop an incoming attack, ordering air recon and interpreting their reports to deduce the enemy's disposition, assigning the best officers to divisional or corps commands and putting the worst ones where they can do the least harm. Morale must be carefully managed by setting leave schedules and rations for your frontline troops, balancing limited supplies with the demands of your soldiers to prevent mutiny. The key to making this gameplay interesting is that you never, ever have enough shells and bullets and rations and men, so the front is a near-constant state of crisis forcing you to keep borrowing peter to pay fritz, being willing to abandon untenable positions or sacrifice thousands of men to deny a critical one to the enemy.

Simply turtling up in your own trench lines and refusing to advance is not an option, as you are subject to the dubiously viable political objectives set by London, which you had better try to satisfy if you want those artillery batteries to sent to you instead of to Palestine. You also need to keep your allies happy, and that means launching attacks in support of French offensives to the south. And, of course, if you fail to attack the Germans will be free to concentrate their own forces and overwhelm you at their leisure.

Offensives are not meant to result in real breakthroughs - your attacks will always suffer diminishing returns as your brigades outrun their supply and comm lines, but good planning can mitigate those problems and allow you to inflict greater losses on the enemy to eventually win the war.

When you zoom in everything is in rich full color but as the war continues No-Man's-Land bleeds out into the greyscale tones of classic great war photography and its super artistic contrasting with the green fields and forests you can still see behind the lines and, as the fronts shift, former battlefields regain their greenery and color but also grow fields of red poppies proportionate to the number of men who died on both sides in that area and every time you see it you must stop to reflect on the evil man does 2 man

"but dongs the a ww1 game would be boring itd just be trenches forever blah blah fart oh no i shit myself because I am a literal baby who does not understand the tactical and strategic complexities of the Great War" shut up shut up shut up i hate you ww1 is the best

Man make that turn based and I would play the shit out of that.

Also I should really get a WW1 boardgame.

I have been debating getting into PC wargames, been eyeing unity of command, operational level game of the eastern front in ww2, has a nice sale on steam right now.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I need a good WW1 game. The HoI2 mod I have comes close but always goes crazy, and rarely in the good way. Are any of the ones on Steam any good?

And I think Diplomacy is the go to WW1/ruin friendships board game.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I need a good WW1 game. The HoI2 mod I have comes close but always goes crazy, and rarely in the good way. Are any of the ones on Steam any good?

And I think Diplomacy is the go to WW1/ruin friendships board game.

I've got diplomacy and it is neat and all but I was thinking something with a little more historical bite to it like Glory's End or When Eagles Fight. And because I like shoving little cardboard chits around hex grids.