As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Emu [Chat]

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Hullo I am waiting for my interview now T_T

I wish I slept better
    I went to bed like normal

Brains

i am slowly learning it takes more than one night of good, regular hours, night of sleep to make you feel not shit

sometimes a lot more

it's bbullshit

Well that's why I didn't stay out super late Saturday or Friday too

So that is good

poo
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They should just go back to the good old days when the EU was England, France, Switzerland, Eternia, Figaro, and Hyrule.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    also SKFM i aplologise for my tone if it's coming acorss combative

i'm not intending it to

but i admit a little bit of my frustration with people knowing nothing about the EU yet having opinions on it is leaking through

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Greece's collapse was very much tied the falsification post EU joining and the fact the markets decided that all the countries in the EU should be treated as if they were Germany when it came to risk and they threw money at Greece. Greece being its now very wealthy on credit self with a new currency and all the sudden a platinum card went nuts.

It didn't end well when the bills came in.

Doesn't help Greece collected like 25% of its taxes. And has some nasty endemic corruption issues.

The biggest issue is Greece wasn't alone in this. Spain, Portugal and Italy all took bigger risks because of joining the EU. And the European Bank had no way to reduce damage that was being caused because the Germans are scared shitless of inflation. It is only recently that they have taken steps that could of reduced the damage years ago.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also lots of EU countries basically chum along breaking lots of financial 'requirements' because, well, who's going to enforce them? Greece is hardly alone in that respect. You have to twist arms right out of their sockets to get the required military budget per country for NATO, to get countries like Italy to fulfil their promises on aid, etc.

The current President of the European Commission is a guy who basically spent decades making tax dodging sweetheart deals for everyone and their dog in Luxembourg. Britain has a whole tax status (non-domiciled resident) that exists for no other reason than to lessen the tax levied on a miniscule number of rich people who, like Bob Geldof, think that their 'time' is tax enough.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The convention of casting basically whatever British actors happen to be in the vicinity of the film set to play the roles of everyone in the ancient world is so ingrained my brain would revolt if suddenly the Romans all looked, well, Italian or something.
    If the Romans acted like the Italians on Inspector Montalbano, that'd be amazing.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    They should just go back to the good old days when the EU was England, France, Switzerland, Eternia, Figaro, and Hyrule.

You forgot the Empire of Sodor, you silly billy.

All Hail Lord Hatt, he shall reign once more!

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Greece's collapse was very much tied the falsification post EU joining and the fact the markets decided that all the countries in the EU should be treated as if they were Germany when it came to risk and they threw money at Greece. Greece being its now very wealthy on credit self with a new currency and all the sudden a platinum card went nuts.

Doesn't help Greece collected like 25% of its taxes. And has some nasty endemic corruption issues.

The biggest issue is Greece wasn't alone in this. Spain, Portugal and Italy all took bigger risks because of joining the EU. And the European Bank had no way to reduce damage that was being caused because the Germans are scared shitless of inflation. It is only recently that they have taken steps that could of reduced the damage years ago.

On the whole I feel the Eurozone fell between two stools: delegated too much power to allow individual states to effectively get out of financial trouble, but not enough power that a centralised authority could do it for them.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    The convention of casting basically whatever British actors happen to be in the vicinity of the film set to play the roles of everyone in the ancient world is so ingrained my brain would revolt if suddenly the Romans all looked, well, Italian or something.

I was in Trieste last year and the locals all looked generically Northern European. I was most upset and shall write a letter to the editor

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    If the Romans acted like the Italians on Inspector Montalbano, that'd be amazing.

I love that show.

My wife said the other day that the last few shots of the opening titles remind her of the titles of Father Ted and now I can't unsee it or hear anything other than the theme to Father Ted when the camera circles his house.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Can anyone help me with an email problem?

please state the nature of the medical emergency

I've lost an email that had confirmation info for a christmas gift I'd ordered.

It's not anywhere in my inbox, POP, junk, or trash. When I searched for it with my iPhone, weirdly I found it on the results list, but when I clicked on the email itself, it disappeared and didn't reappear when I searched for it again.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

I love that show.

My wife said the other day that the last few shots of the opening titles remind her of the titles of Father Ted and now I can't unsee it or hear anything other than the theme to Father Ted when the camera circles his house.

Well that's excuse enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABp-cZDGyZc

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

On the whole I feel the Eurozone fell between two stools: delegated too much power to allow individual states to effectively get out of financial trouble, but not enough power that a centralised authority could do it for them.

And even though they delegated a lot of power to the individual states they took the main tools of a state to deal with debt and other similar crisis.

Splitting the fiscal and monetary policy keys between the central authority and the states was probably a bad idea.

The EU basically is half assing federalism. Europe wants all the bonuses but none of the loss of power. Not surprising but also has consequences.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    there are 4 people in the office today.

I am one of them

because I am cray.

• Options
    I wonder what a fully federalised Europe would look like in terms of government.

• Options
    I think Father Ted lasted just the right length. Few shows can claim this.

• Options
    Actually the best part of travelling to Turkey with British and Australians was at Istanbul airport, where I could swan through the border without any pre planning or special fees but they had to do both.

Gallipoli hah!

• Options
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Actually the best part of travelling to Turkey with British and Australians was at Istanbul airport, where I could swan through the border without any pre planning or special fees but they had to do both.

Gallipoli hah!

You get a Dardanelles Discount? An ANZAC Acceptance?

• Options
    I wonder what a fully federalised Europe would look like in terms of government.

You thought the Asian parliaments were crazy! I present to you a full federalized Europe with a central parliament!

Shoes? Hah! These parliamentarians carry sharp words and the occasional cane!

Seriously I think if the EU parliament had the power like say the US congress it would get hilariously heated. Like maybe Taiwan levels of nuttiness.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    This is how to start your day, unaired Folgers commercial starring Paul Stanley of KISS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMa1yH5QCxk

• Options
    I don't think a fully federalised Europe could exist in my lifetime.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So tell me if I am correct about the following:

Greece did not meet the financial criteria for admission, but the EU agreed to waive those requirements. It was later revealed that their status was even worse than first believed, and that they had flat out lied in presenting their data.

I'm sure Ronya knows far more than I, but I think a review of the information shows they actually exceeded the deficit limit by a small amount (and they had that in common with several other countries), whereas the information submitted at the time showed they were below the deficit limit. How much this difference mattered is up for debate. They didn't, I believe, waive any requirement, as the information submitted met the requirements.

The deliberate falsification with Goldman Sachs' connivance came after they were in the EU.

that matches my understanding of the situation

it is worth acknowledging that Brussels itself has no particular interest in checking Greece's accounts very carefully, either, due to the rising wave of anti-EU sentiment at the time, combined with the conspicuous failure of Britain and France to meet the same requirements

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well, I'm both awake and alive, though with ~3.5 hours of sleep it doesn't feel like I'm much of either.

I didn't call the cops but I'm meeting my roommate for breakfast shortly.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Kalkino wrote: »

Gallipoli hah!

You get a Dardanelles Discount? An ANZAC Acceptance?

A Forcing the Straits fedora hat tip

No that doesn't work

I think the NZ Ministry for Foreign Affairs does two things well, good visa arrangements and international trade law. Because we have a very high foreign travel rate and are very dependent on international trade.

• Options
    Econodog has marked my homework and pronounced it acceptable. I feel validated.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Well, I'm both awake and alive, though with ~3.5 hours of sleep it doesn't feel like I'm much of either.

I didn't call the cops but I'm meeting my roommate for breakfast shortly.

?

• Options
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Good morning buttlords and fart-peasants

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    got my hair cut

now share a silhouette with a bell end

great day

• Options

i'm not intending it to

but i admit a little bit of my frustration with people knowing nothing about the EU yet having opinions on it is leaking through

Am I allowed to have opinions about the European securities market authority?

Because I have OPINIONS

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    This is the most absurd way of getting around rules ever.
    We cant openly talk about how to illegally get someones SSN but here PM the mods and we will hook you up with people.
    The OBT is currently only available in Korea and thus requires a Daum account with an I-pin attached. The only way to obtain an I-pin is to verify with either a KSSN or Korean phone number. It is currently against the subreddit's rules to discuss purchasing or selling said accounts. However, please PM myself, /u/=====, /u/=====, or /u/==== (Skype: ***) if you are interested in joining the OBT from outside Korea.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

i'm not intending it to

Am I allowed to have opinions about the European securities market authority?

Because I have OPINIONS

I vote no.

I nominate that Deebs can have opinions about county cricket, council tax and the best deal ale to be found in Britain or Northern Ireland.

Any seconders?

• Options
    Man Taipei's parliament is always the best.

http://youtu.be/6l8jWHXodQ0

I need to find the one where the majority blocked the minority from entering to pass a bill by using tables. Ooh they used a chair this time!

http://youtu.be/c5sjCwZGPjI

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Idris Elba as Bond?!?! You can't have a black Bond!!!! That's crazy!!!! That's outrageous!!!! Bond has ALWAYS been white!!!! Changing the race or skin color of Bond will forever mutate the property into something it just shouldn't be!!!!

Personally, I think Yvonne Strahovski should be the next Bond.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Oh Robosanta you love dysfunctional Asian parliaments as much as I do.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

i'm not intending it to

If VICE is to be believed, you'll find incorrect opinions about the EU like no other in eastern Ukraine and Russia

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    As far as I'm concerned Idris Elba can play anything.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

a remake of being john malkovich where john malkovich is played by Idris Elba

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

a remake of being john malkovich where john malkovich is played by Idris Elba

It's important that you keep it called Being John Malkovich.

• Options
    Yah, it is time for a Russian to be Bond. I want to see the resumes of the top five indigenous Siberian actors by 9 am tomorrow, @ronya @Casual‌

This discussion has been closed.