As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread from last year....

• Makhan KerenskyMakhan Kerensky Registered User regular
    There's always one person at a wedding who really just has to dress in whatever they feel like

TBH I couldn't afford the tux, so yes i showed up like that for laughs instead.
    overhand_leap_by_aloo81-d7lb3iz.gif
    ^ breaking into Rie house now!

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    The SHE-HULKS wish everyone a very joyous Starlight Festival!

2y9XT0w.jpg

I've been getting random invites to a She-Hulks linkshell thing. Is that some sort of local organization?

For that matter, are there any PA-related linkshells in use, since I'm on the Sarg server but not in the PA FC

There used to be but since they were used so infrequently I think a lot of people abandoned them.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I heard about that, and it is really heartbreaking. And it's impressive that several vigils were held on multiple servers. And that they were done so with little griefing.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    The wedding ring teleport has a cute little animation at the end :biggrin:

bRCogwi.jpg

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    edited December 2014
    First off, thank you all who attended our ceremony. It meant a lot that all of you attended and shared the occasion with us.

Second, I wanted to add some more screenshots from that day:
    FaithfulSteel12_20_201419_49_36_zps71411e14.jpg
    FaithfulSteel12_20_201419_48_25_zps83e00a40.jpg
    FaithfulSteel12_20_201420_38_20_zps4c6ad7f9.jpg
    FaithfulSteel12_20_201420_46_03_zps42dab7da.jpg
    FaithfulSteel12_20_201420_47_31_zpsfaa4128e.jpg
    FaithfulSteel12_20_201420_50_55_zps80112d70.jpg

AngelHedgie on
  • RieRie Registered User regular
    Faithful, I took like 60 some pictures for you
    I will put them in a photobucket album for you soon!

FF14 - Rie Himawari (Sargatanas)
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

I heard about that, and it is really heartbreaking. And it's impressive that several vigils were held on multiple servers. And that they were done so with little griefing.

Yeah, I immediately thought about this infamous moment in WoW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJVolaC8pw

Thankfully there's no way that can happen in this game, but griefers could have found other ways to distrupt things.

If the GHOSTs decide to pay their respects I'll have to find time to attend.

Professor Snugglesworth on

Yeah, I immediately thought about this infamous moment in WoW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJVolaC8pw

Thankfully there's no way that can happen in this game, but griefers could have found other ways to distrupt things.

If the GHOSTs decide to pay their respects I'll have to find time to attend.

That was the incident that made me say that I was not interested in playing WoW at all. And it was one of the two things to came to mind when I heard about the wake - the other being the end of Mother's Rosario, which coincidentally just aired this weekend.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    That was the incident that made me say that I was not interested in playing WoW at all. And it was one of the two things to came to mind when I heard about the wake - the other being the end of Mother's Rosario, which coincidentally just aired this weekend.

The one time I think we can collectively agree that Sword Art Online had a good story.

If only Asuna was the lead all the time....

But yeah, the timing is eerily coincidental.

Also, this:

http://youtu.be/8YrhGja3Ghs

Man. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    I know you guys all got nova nexus super weapons. I am on my way though!
    cz5pDHp.jpg

Laonar wrote: »
    I know you guys all got nova nexus super weapons. I am on my way though!
    cz5pDHp.jpg

Hey, we all started where you are right now. You'll get there!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    OMG That Dark Knight vid.

Yes I'm totally maining that.

Now just gotta figure out what they will have cross class skills with to level up in the mean time... hmm.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    All of them. Get everything.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I think I've finally got Dragon Age Inquisition out of my system. Time to get back to Eorzea.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    I know you guys all got nova nexus super weapons. I am on my way though"

Dont worry, at this rate, you will still get your final relic before me.

DAMN THOSE DUNGEON DROPS!!!!

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

2y9XT0w.jpg

I've been getting random invites to a She-Hulks linkshell thing. Is that some sort of local organization?

For that matter, are there any PA-related linkshells in use, since I'm on the Sarg server but not in the PA FC

There used to be but since they were used so infrequently I think a lot of people abandoned them.

Shehulk SMASH is seriously the best exclusive club in this game. And it's easily my most active LS

2y9XT0w.jpg

Shehulk SMASH is seriously the best exclusive club in this game. And it's easily my most active LS

I was in a Femroe LS at one point as an honorary Femroe but it got very...."political" at times so I ended up leaving it as some of the members were a bit too zealous about certain topics for me. Not sure if it's the same one though.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Some random musings I've been having.

1) I think we've seen the end of the Class->Job mechanic. I sort of doubt we'll see anymore Class->Job things added. Though that isn't to say they won't add a new Job to an existing Class.

2) With 1) in mind I figure DRK, AST, and MCH will probably start at lvl 1. Whether or not you need to do something to unlock it (other than what you normally have to do for new classes) who can say.

3) FC Airships are going to be baller.

4) There will be Bunny Girls as far as the eye can see. But can we have Bunny Dudes? Or, if they want to be gender equal, Chippendale Dudes?

5) I want to be able to buy an apartment (basically like the personal rooms we have in the FC house) only in Rev Toll.

6) Finished the (current) main story. Ul'dah or AMERICA, FUCK YEAH?

2y9XT0w.jpg

The fact that I can't 'SMASH' this is straight racial prejudice!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    I never thought I'd say this, but trying to get my buddies on Sarg kinda makes me miss the horrible Friend Server Pass Ticket Thingy from FFXI. :(

You'd think when you send out a Friend Trial Invite (and they buy the game after) that they'd get a free pass to your server.

C'est la vie.

The recruitment system works similarly, I believe (since one of the rewards is used to let you teleport to them to assist them early on.) Get them a recruitment code.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

1) I think we've seen the end of the Class->Job mechanic. I sort of doubt we'll see anymore Class->Job things added. Though that isn't to say they won't add a new Job to an existing Class.

2) With 1) in mind I figure DRK, AST, and MCH will probably start at lvl 1. Whether or not you need to do something to unlock it (other than what you normally have to do for new classes) who can say.

3) FC Airships are going to be baller.

4) There will be Bunny Girls as far as the eye can see. But can we have Bunny Dudes? Or, if they want to be gender equal, Chippendale Dudes?

5) I want to be able to buy an apartment (basically like the personal rooms we have in the FC house) only in Rev Toll.

6) Finished the (current) main story. Ul'dah or AMERICA, FUCK YEAH?

2y9XT0w.jpg

The fact that I can't 'SMASH' this is straight racial prejudice!

We are the 4%

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular

I'm glad they're moving away from the Class -> Job thing, for some reason when I try to explain it to my friends that have played other mmos they have a hard time wrapping their head around it. I have to compare it to Pokemon: "You know how Charmander can eventually evolve into Charmeleon at a certain level? Well, Archer evolves into Bard at 30. Arcanist is kind of like Eevee where it can be more than one thing, except they can be both, so it's not really like Eevee at all..." And that's where my analogy totally falls apart.

I'm wondering if the new Jobs are going to start somewhere in the new areas, and be locked to the expansion?

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    Rie wrote: »
    I know you guys all got nova nexus super weapons. I am on my way though"

Dont worry, at this rate, you will still get your final relic before me.

DAMN THOSE DUNGEON DROPS!!!!

Maybe, I feel kind of bad because I did some stuff not realizing what the newbie bonus was! Could of got some soldiery and stuff for people.

Then I asked for help on titan hard and just wAtched in amazement as everyone demolished him. I read it was the hardest part of the chain. They made it look really simple.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    How hard would it be for someone to jump back into this and get caught up on gear/content if they have been out of the game since before the release of guild halls?

I have a paladin wearing the lowest tier of relic armor. I have the lowest tier of her artifact weapons. I'm thinking about coming back to FF14, but I have been gone a really long time.

One of the major driving forces behind me quitting was because back at the launch of the game, there were literally only two dungeons to grind for stones: Amdapor and Wanderer's Palace, and I got so burned out on running those ad-nauseum that it pushed me away from the game. Because of that, my character never saw anything past the original high level espers or whatever they are called. The height of my progress is Heroic Titan. (And the other content that earned me my relic weapon).

Lucascraft on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular

The really sad part is reading the comments and seeing how many people can't just not post if they don't have something positive to add.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    How hard would it be for someone to jump back into this and get caught up on gear/content if they have been out of the game since before the release of guild halls?

I have a paladin wearing the lowest tier of relic armor. I have the lowest tier of her artifact weapons. I'm thinking about coming back to FF14, but I have been gone a really long time.

One of the major driving forces behind me quitting was because back at the launch of the game, there were literally only two dungeons to grind for stones: Amdapor and Wanderer's Palace, and I got so burned out on running those ad-nauseum that it pushed me away from the game. Because of that, my character never saw anything past the original high level espers or whatever they are called. The height of my progress is Heroic Titan. (And the other content that earned me my relic weapon).

If you've beaten the first CT raid, you can unlock Syrcius Tower and start collecting i100 gear and catch up pretty fast. The rest of the dungeons are mostly unlocked through quests in RT.

You'll want to work on the main story quests as well to unlock more primal fights.

edited December 2014

There is so much do to now it is hard to get bored!
    You can definitely get gear by running CT/ST, people obliterate those things now a day so having i70 gear really is not a problem
    Even regular dungeon drops i90 as well, so you will be caught up in no time!

Rie on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »

I'm glad they're moving away from the Class -> Job thing, for some reason when I try to explain it to my friends that have played other mmos they have a hard time wrapping their head around it. I have to compare it to Pokemon: "You know how Charmander can eventually evolve into Charmeleon at a certain level? Well, Archer evolves into Bard at 30. Arcanist is kind of like Eevee where it can be more than one thing, except they can be both, so it's not really like Eevee at all..." And that's where my analogy totally falls apart.

I'm wondering if the new Jobs are going to start somewhere in the new areas, and be locked to the expansion?

They are locked to the expansion.

• TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

You are probably much better off than me! I just picked this up last night (haven't played since the first week it came out) and got my Conjurer to level 10. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's fun! I guess I can pick another class now? So many choices!

Tulabelle on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Tulabelle wrote: »

You are probably much better off than me! I just picked this up last night (haven't played since the first week it came out) and got my Conjurer to level 10. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's fun! I guess I can pick another class now? So many choices!

As long as you are following the Main Scenario quests you are doing fine. You could start a new class if you'd like. Do you wanna become a whitemage? Gotta be a Lv.15 Arcanist to get White Mage at level 30 Conjurer.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I would recommend following the main storyline until you get Airship access (around level 15 or so) before messing around with job changing too much.

If only for the ease of travel.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Can't change jobs before level 10 anyway.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If there's one thing the game does poorly, it's directing you to stuff to do. Recommendations are a great feature, but it seems limited to just stuff in your current zone. I went into a new area that was like...six levels beneath me, and the game had no problem indiscriminately recommending that I do all the low level quests in the zone. I mean, the main story quest does a good job of sending you to relevant areas, but today I had to wait in queue for a dungeon that was required for my story quests, and I couldn't find anything level-relevant to do while I waited besides grind level 20 mobs in an area with no quests.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, that is what this game is worst at. The imbalance in the duty finder. Rather than take steps to aliviate the imbalance, they just let dps jobs pile up in the system, punishing over half the player base for playing the job type they put the most of in the game.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    so what are they supposed to do about it? make people play tanks and healers?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not requiring players run dungeons to finish the main story quests would be the most logical answer.

I dunno if XIV has any incentives for tanks or healers in the duty finder like WoW, but that would be another solution.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2014
    No, my original idea was to have dps only duties in the duty finder. Something like a mid-boss battle and done. 'Can you eat the Nasher Squig before it eats you?'

Whatever the actual activity is irrelivant, just as long as it productively cycles dps jobs though the queue with no excessive wait and you get some experience and a treasure box at the end.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    No, my original idea was to have dps only duties in the duty finder. Something like a mid-boss battle and done. 'Can you eat the Nasher Squig before it eats you?'

Whatever the actual activity is irrelivant, just as long as it productively cycles dps jobs though the queue with no excessive wait and you get some experience and a treasure box at the end.

Then the imbalance goes the other way. Specialized content takes away from the game as a whole.

Beyond that, while waiting in queue, there are lots of other things you can do. Leves, crafting, dailies, etc...

Esh on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    There's massive incentives, which is awesome.

I know WoW worked around long DPS queues by allowing every class to fit more than one role in groups and GW2 by trashing the whole Holy Trinity and making everyone DPS/looking out for each other. FFXIV is a different kind of game and solutions from other games can't be copy/pasted to this game, For a bit I considered Story Mode versions of dungeons that could be solo'd/duo'd. It wouldn't provide loot and only a little exp, but it would allow people to progress with the story at their own pace. But it's hardly an option, because the sub-50 dungeons teach players how to actually play the damned game. You can't make that optional and then expect folks to have a good time once they finally start their first proper dungeon as a fresh 50 in quest gear and with the idea that they can do tons of damage.

You would think that the level syncing would make the pool of people LFG-ing large enough for every queue to pop quickly enough, even as DPS, but unfortunately that's not the case.

IMO tanking and healing need better PR: they're fun ways to play, but it sounds scary... What if I fuck up as a tank? Everyone will hate me! What if I'm absent-minded and my healing is wrong? I'd better queue as DPS and not risk the progression of the group.

edited December 2014
    Yeah, that is what this game is worst at. The imbalance in the duty finder. Rather than take steps to aliviate the imbalance, they just let dps jobs pile up in the system, punishing over half the player base for playing the job type they put the most of in the game.

Steps taken to alleviate DF queues:

-Queues spread over multiple servers in a datacenter
    -Level Syncing allowing higher level jobs to play in lower level dungeons.
    -split DPS queue into Ranged and Melee
    -Implemented Duty Roulette to bring lvl 50 players back into the queue
    -Implemented role specific bonuses for less played roles in Duty Roulette
    -Added reasons beyond Duty finder to go back into older dungeons.
    -Adjusted how long it takes for a queue to become less strict about party composition (1 ranged 1 melee being the ideal)
    -Designed a later Raid to only require 3 Tanks
    -Allow you to queue with whatever team composition you like if you make your own full group
    -Added Tank only Mounts the requires Tanks to actually Tank content to acquire them

Aside from implementing "DPS only" content that you have suggested before, or adjusting party size to include another DPs or two (both incredibly large undertakings with far reaching ramifications) they are pretty much doing as much as they feasibly can to address the queue. It's a problem that pretty much any MMO that uses the trinity system will run into and there is not an easy fix to the problem of players wanting to play a DPS class over a healing or tanking class.

I know that you got to feel the problem more so than most because you leveled your classes all at once meaning you were spending a lot of time in DPS queues at the same level, but to say that they are not or have not taken steps to alleviate the imbalance and "just letting dps jobs pile up in the system" is demonstrably false. It is certainly frustrating at times to be sure, but it's pretty much the nature of the beast when it comes to the Trinity system.

What will be interesting is when the Expansion hits, because we'll be getting a new Tank, Healing, and DPS class. Provided they don't jsut give it to us at lvl 50 (dear god I hope not) this means we'll have another Tank and Healer to help with queues, especially in the lower dungeons. This is particularly exciting for the lvl 15-30 bracket as Arcanist could not queue as a healer while leveling until you turned into a Scholar at lvl 30. With Astrologian being a pure healer with no base class that may help quite a bit in the lower dungeons in particular. That and how bad ass the dark Knight looks I think will go a long way towards helping.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.