As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Magazine Nostalgia & Appreciation

2»

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    I still fondly remember the infamous Simon's Curse cover for Nintendo Power.

Unfortunately, lost all of my back copies of NP to someone throwing them out when I was at college. :(

I know your pain, brother. Among the ones tossed out were my collection of mid-90s to early 00s wrestling magazines, too.

One I didn't get to mention there was Club Nintendo, the German equivalent to Nintendo Power. They not only ran comics for a LOT longer, but they got kind of freaky, too.

tumblr_mdr9mnok6R1rrftcdo1_1280.jpg

Some have been translated into English online, but I'd love a fully translated version in print.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this, but I didn't mention Nintendo Force since I write for it now, and yeah, there could be a sort of bias there. ;P

I'm loving that Kirby is a play on Pinhead. Back in the day when you could more easily get away with referencing to kids what was supposed to be super-adult content (but you know all the kids in school were totally watching it anyway).

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I keep holding out hope that Mother will see a release at some point. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Or Mother 3.

I've told this story before, but I vividly remember when Gamepro did a cover story on Street Fighter 3.

...five years before the game came out, or was even announced. It was just two pages of random speculation on what they'd like to see.

Shortly afterward is when they started running Dragon Ball Z on the cover literally every other month.

Yeah, I don't really miss them much.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think my first Nintendo Power had one of the most memorable previews. It started with Super Mario World, which looked incredibly bizarre because all I knew was NES and here you had the SNES blowing my mind.

As noted in the OP, I'd been a little ahead of NP on that, thanks to other magazines.

But, since you bring it up...
    smwb.jpg

smw1.jpgsmw2.jpg
    smw3.jpgsmw4.jpg

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    CVG is shutting down
    Over 33 years, CVG has frequently delivered the biggest breaking games industry headlines. Today, sadly, we're part of the story.

I've dwelled on this post for weeks, striking sentences and struggling to form meaningful metaphors for what's happened. But there isn't really an elegant way to tell you that Computer and Video Games as you know it will soon cease to exist.

The current site will be closed and some content migrated in to the new GamesRadar+. Currently, no CVG writers will be part of the larger site.

As those of you who follow the trade media will know, it's been an uncertain year for the CVG team and our Future colleagues, with one round of consultation taking place in May, followed by a lengthy wait until the second this month.

During this time our parent company Future Publishing has transformed beyond recognition and in our London base virtually every one of our games colleagues have departed.

I won't lie: at times it's been traumatic and stressful for the editorial team - as it would for anyone whose job was uncertain - particularly in those early days when the whole restructure news came as a total shock.

Computer & Video Games Magazine was the first gaming magazine, so it's kind of sad to see even their online arm shuttering.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2014
    How many gaming magazines are even left these days? I know PC Gamer is still hanging in there.

And I mean like "Has a print magazine that you can subscribe to."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Game Informer of course. Uh... not many.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Well, there is Nintendo Force...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!