As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings 2; Charlemagne vs Carloman, Fratricide 2.0

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I haven't bought a DLC for this since the old gods, but I'm hoping this one might break the streak. Finally this game might turn into the dating sim I've always dreamed it would be.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There's still leftover bugs from the Charlemagne expansion which they haven't fixed, they haven't even touched any of the problems in the history files (like the duke of Gascony starting without any land).

Kinda hoping the new expansion will include some special events for the Slavic, Romuva, Suomenusko and Tengri faiths, although I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

Does the Zun faith have any special events unique to them?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Zunists can gain traits such as Strong or Genius through events triggered during their festival event chain. The festival can also kill off weak or ill characters or trigger insanity or possession if you're unlucky.

Platy on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Zunists can gain traits such as Strong or Genius through events triggered during their festival event chain. The festival can also kill off weak or ill characters or trigger insanity or possession if you're unlucky.

I see no downside to any of these events. Zunist next game it is!

The update on way of life mentioned that many of the Catholic specific events they are making will have diverse pagan counterparts.

I am just sad that my character's duel was called off on account of bug, was totally gonna axe that priest who challenged him!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I am just sad that my character's duel was called off on account of bug, was totally gonna axe that priest who challenged him!

"Will no one rid me of this turbulent... oh. Well. Okay, then."

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular

"Will no one rid me of this turbulent... oh. Well. Okay, then."

Just tortured my son to death after imprisoning him for attempted assassination of a brother. His brother died in the Vangarian guard. I had one genius heir, guess which one went to the guard... Just two more down and we got a single heir Gavelkind though.

It can still be done if your creative!

Is the Merchant Republic creation still bugged? I haven't seen anything about it being fixed in the change log.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Hilarious things encountered so far.

I was apparently running the Scandinavian viking empire from the Varangian guard, since I 'came home and everything is different!' gaining the Varangian trait about 10 years after starting as that character.

Once I reformed the Norse faith, I, as the Emperor was tired of these heretics showing up in some province, so I demanded the Fylkir get down there and figure out why they wouldn't want to be awesome New-Norse like me.

Later, I praised my efforts in removing those pesky infidels for 200 piety. Yes, I was both emperor and fylkir and it makes the phrasing of the event text funny.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I got a half-price castle as my initial ruler through pursuing the +3 Stewardship lifestyle, which was promptly inherited by the twin brother of my current character. :/

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    And I think they cleaned up gavelkind bullshit. As long as I've got enough properties/titles tucked away, it seems like it tries not to break up my 'main' titles.

So in my current game it seems to prefer holding onto Empire, then Kingdom of Sweden, then the capital duchy and all the provinces dejure in that duchy. Everything else is getting split up tho.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    Thats so nice. I once formed the emprie of scandanavia and had two sons, the older one who I played as got the empire title and the capitol provence, the younger son got literally every other title. It was a wtf moment.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    - Fixed a bug with elective gavelkind in empires with secondary kingdoms where your de facto capital and kingdom did not go to your primary heir

If only you'd done that sooner, Paradox! I haven't been playing since the last gavelkind kerfluffle in my India game.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    It looks like the old personal ambitions (the ones you could use to get at least 8 in every stat) are gone?

I'm very sad if that's the case.

On the other hand, my young Welsh queen used to have a hard time keeping her vassals in check. But with the Seducer focus, she's been able to seduce every single mayor, bishop and baron in the realm. Every single one is now her lover. I've never had a ruler so universally beloved. She was a master trader through her twenties, when I needed gold, and only had two children between sixteen and thirty. Now, she's having children every year like clockwork.

Her husband does not suspect.

She's still having a hard time keeping her vassals in check, but it's fun...

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    They sorta rolled that into the focus areas, in the form of events that'll give +1 to specific stats for awhile.

Also, I don't know if all the areas have it, but by focusing on War, my Misguided Warrior ended up a Brilliant Strategist after about 20 years.

Then of course I swapped to Hunting, ended up with the dog, and reigning over my viking empire until 80.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    It looks like the old personal ambitions (the ones you could use to get at least 8 in every stat) are gone?

I'm very sad if that's the case.

On the other hand, my young Welsh queen used to have a hard time keeping her vassals in check. But with the Seducer focus, she's been able to seduce every single mayor, bishop and baron in the realm. Every single one is now her lover. I've never had a ruler so universally beloved. She was a master trader through her twenties, when I needed gold, and only had two children between sixteen and thirty. Now, she's having children every year like clockwork.

Her husband does not suspect.

She's still having a hard time keeping her vassals in check, but it's fun...

all those personal ambitions focus events are rolled into the new focus system. It honestly works really well because you won't just stop at 8 sometimes.

Had a flamboyant schemer king go from fucking 5 in "stabby stabbing stuff" at the age of 20 to fucking 22 before the age of 50.

Granted I didn't -change- my focus, which is something you can do for roleplay/game purposes. But yeah, you can turn nearly any character into a badass in at least one category if you leave the focus for whatever on.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Also is it just me or is starting at Charlemagne's start date basically a guarantee of a fucking nutty wacky holy anarchy batman Europe?

Because my last three games have basically been royal rumbles.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I am only now sticking with a Republic playthrough, because I feel attached to the Finnish merchants I raised up from tribalism. Lots of upgrades to the family manor. Nearing 30 trade posts. Kind of printing money at this point.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Well I've gone from revenge assassinating the Byzantine Emperor's family when he burns down my trade posts, to fathering and legitimizing bastards on all the women even tangentially involved with him.

Oh and of course we're all syphilitic lunatics by the time I'm done.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    I'd like them to turn the seduction stuff down -juuuust- a little.

Or maybe add some more consequences when you get caught banging an Emperor's wife.

• Options
    Or a female pope. ahem

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

Or maybe add some more consequences when you get caught banging an Emperor's wife.

People were surprisingly chill about me marrying my sister.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I mean, the basic problem there isn't so much that seduction is powerful, it's that the majority of the AI characters sit around doing very little anyway.

Also it'd be nice if the Family ambition did a bit more, but I'd guess it's more noticeable if you're a Karling.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Also is it just me or is starting at Charlemagne's start date basically a guarantee of a fucking nutty wacky holy anarchy batman Europe?

Because my last three games have basically been royal rumbles.

Fingers crossed my brother buys me Charlemagne for Christmas. It has been fun to play tribals starting in 867 but I'd like to see how crazy things can get when starting in 769.

• Options
    I'm not sure I like 769 over 867

It feels like there is a bit of a power vacuum in some areas like Persia and Central Asia or the British Isles

Wish the AI (especially the Norse AI) would launch invasions more often, although you see the Umayyads conquering Aquitaine fairly regularly if they don't implode through Christian uprisings

• Options
    I'm not sure I like 769 over 867

It feels like there is a bit of a power vacuum in some areas like Persia and Central Asia or the British Isles

Wish the AI (especially the Norse AI) would launch invasions more often, although you see the Umayyads conquering Aquitaine fairly regularly if they don't implode through Christian uprisings

My lone 769 game so far involved Karl the Fat being Emperor of Basically Everything in Europe west of the Danube by his death. Things are now in a more-dynamic position.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    The best part of 769 starts are being vikings, and using all that prestige to have crazy good provinces before 867 even rolls around, and wrecking so much shit Christianity's moral authority drops to 0%, so all the kingdoms fall apart to heretical revolts.

Like, seriously, if you go at it hard and fast, you can kick start the crusades a liiiiiitle early.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote: »
    The best part of 769 starts are being vikings, and using all that prestige to have crazy good provinces before 867 even rolls around, and wrecking so much shit Christianity's moral authority drops to 0%, so all the kingdoms fall apart to heretical revolts.

Like, seriously, if you go at it hard and fast, you can kick start the crusades a liiiiiitle early.

Yeah, when I have the time to go it again, I think I'm going to crush the upstart Franks with the power of good Germanic traditions from Saxony, or at least give it a shot. Poor Karl's invasion of Saxony didn't go very well for him, which as a guy right on their border was not a ton of fun to watch.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    I made the right choice picking the Capet Count in Bourbon for a start.

I am essentially the most stable area in the Kingdom of West Francia with both the King of WF and the Pope as "friends" for the current ruler.

Christianity is having a devil of a time expanding. There are a few random provinces that must have been taken in a peace deal or through family or something but outside of that the Norsemen are kicking the shit out of Central Europe and each other while West Francia is just sitting back with the occasional stomping of a rebel or two.

• Options
    My Wales Prydain 769 game continues to be fun. It's 1033 now, and my line is still going strong. A few generations of heavy intermarriage with Croatian royalty put one of my cousins on that throne. I pressed the claim of another distant cousin's mother to get them the Duchy of Essex. That branch of the family eventually randomly converted to Islam; I have no idea how or why. The Emirate of Essex lasted decades, and even after it fell the baronies, cities and mosques remained independant and Islamic. That branch of the family also inherited Croatia, but lost it to Pagans.

The Pagans have reformed multiple faiths.

They are scary.

I conquered southern England, put my family in place, and then released those duchies. Eire is a mess, falling into civil war every other year. It's going Cathar, and I'll be following it as soon as I can. England formed, but it's basically northern England and southern Pictland. Pictland keeps splitting up, getting eaten up by Eire and England, revolting, reestablishing itself, and breaking up again to restart the process. The crown hasn't always fallen, but it's been a complete mess every time.

Francia mostly just sits there. It's stable. It's content just to be. Francia doesn't take no guff from anyone, but neither does it give any. It's like a big, blue blob. It's Jabba the Frank. Everyone is super nervous about it, because it could crush you if it got pissed off at you. But mostly it just wants to sit around the palace listening to music and seducing the ladies with its smooth moves, just like Jabba did. Even Brittany didn't get taken in by conquest - it's all been marriage.

Islam has declared an age of Jihad, but the fools, they fight amonst themselves. The Eastern Roman Empire is also pretty chill. They're conquering the Mediterranean in slow motion. Every so often some Sunni Caliph or steppe warlord is like "Your lands shall be mine!" And the Emperor is like "Yeah, well, you know, ah, that's just like, your opinion, man." And then he captures the invader and castrates them.

It's been a weird, weird game of CK2. I like it.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    BYToady wrote: »

Yeah, when I have the time to go it again, I think I'm going to crush the upstart Franks with the power of good Germanic traditions from Saxony, or at least give it a shot. Poor Karl's invasion of Saxony didn't go very well for him, which as a guy right on their border was not a ton of fun to watch.

The fact that you can spend improve holdings you don't directly own (but are under you) makes being a viking godking soooooo good. Sit at 2000 prestige and have a comfortable bit of gold and you can easily blob out.

If you start as a duke, get ship building to 1 asap so you can start building your galleys and when the viking age legit starts you get +1 ship tech in all coastal provinces. Also it's when the norse unlock the ability to use major rivers.

Also, as I learned in one game where I got to jumpy at the idea of reforming everything all at once. Wait to advance from the tribal stage until after you've stabilized from the religion reformation since once you become anything but a tribal leader, everyone that doesn't upgrade with you will get a relationship penalty.

And remember, vassals are dumb, so you'll probably have to spend some cash on getting them to tier 4 markets or forts.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    *Stare. Blink. Stare, step back.*

Do -not- go carousing with a lunatic.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    This patch is hilariously buggy.

I joined a war to help my cousin out. His forces clearly showed as my allies. I ran my army onto an ongoing battle between him and his rebellious earl, and I help his forces defeat the earl's forces in battle. And then my forces started attacking his forces. I captured him. With him in my dungeon, the war was over, he won.

My lesbian Welsh queen seduced a young maid. That's cool. My queen can't seduce anyone else. That's not cool. The maid just had a child, in the queen's spitting image. That's... but.... I don't... eh, what the hell, I guess I have a new heir.

EDIT: Now my lesbian is pregnant. At 49. She wonders if her husband will believe that the child is his. My only lover is the maid.

This is the best patch ever.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    This patch is hilariously buggy.

I joined a war to help my cousin out. His forces clearly showed as my allies. I ran my army onto an ongoing battle between him and his rebellious earl, and I help his forces defeat the earl's forces in battle. And then my forces started attacking his forces. I captured him. With him in my dungeon, the war was over, he won.

My lesbian Welsh queen seduced a young maid. That's cool. My queen can't seduce anyone else. That's not cool. The maid just had a child, in the queen's spitting image. That's... but.... I don't... eh, what the hell, I guess I have a new heir.

A queen?

Or just a very very pretty man? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_I,_Duke_of_Orléans

• Options
    edited December 2014

Cathar master race of post-gendered humans for the win.

We now have three children together. My former maid and my husband are rivals. I've made my former maid the designated regent.

Best reign ever.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    Okay so if you haven't tried a Zunbil game.

Go try a Zunbil game.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Why should we try a Zunbil game?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I'm at a loss - France has only 300 soldiers, but 10,000 (neutral) Italian soldiers are following the French around (and wrecking my army in fights).

• Options
    My best guess is that the game is throwing the Italians into any French fight because they are allies in a different war.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Had that happen to me as well. Not sure if it was a bug or what. The solution was to run and hide until their other war finished.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I played some games since Charlemagne came out, but never very far

Where should I start my next and hopefully longer game, thread? Zunbil is out though!

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I played some games since Charlemagne came out, but never very far

Where should I start my next and hopefully longer game, thread? Zunbil is out though!

Svitjod! Or however you spell it.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)