As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Joe Cocker Memorial thread.

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
Today one of the most distinctive voices in music left us. Joe Cocker, remembered primarily for his cover of the Beatle's "With a little help from my friends," Performed with Jimmy Paige on guitar, which became famous due to it's appearance in the opening of the tv show "The Wonder Years."

Cocker had one of the most distinctive voices in Music, and became further well known when he covered Billy Preston's "You are so beautiful" and sang "Up where we Belong" with Jennifer Warner. While these are his most well-known songs, he covered many others. His early career included stints with such little known bands as "Vance Arnold (his early stage name) and the Avengers," The Grease band, and Mad Dogs & Englishmen (which included Leon Russel).

How many musicians can you just hear on the radio, and immediately know who they are? Despite not recognizing the lyrics of the song? Cocker was one of those artists.

I was shown this video just today after hearing about Cocker's death, and the talent on display made me mourn for modern music (at least, pop music)

Here's to You Joe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8IvCyw_aTQ

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I saw Joe Cocker in concert a few years ago at Red Rocks. He could barely walk on stage and looked so awful, I was really sad for him. Then he started singing. Perfectly. Like he was in his prime still. Couldn't move from the mic stand without assistance, but you could tell he was absolutely relishing singing for a huge crowd. I'm very happy to have had that experience.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Fuck this year and the celebrity deaths it brought with it.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    This made me terribly sad to hear. He covered a lot of Beatles' songs, but made them completely his own. It was a thing of wonder to hear.