As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Safely taking the galvanization off a steel garbage can

Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
edited December 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
so i'm putting together a setup to make charcoal to fuel a forge i'm building, and i need a closed steel container to put wood in and keep it out of direct contact with a fire underneath it. a galvanized steel garbage can would be pretty much optimal for this, but i've had zinc oxide poisoning once and i'm not eager to repeat the experience. the ideas i've come up with so far are as follows:

-put on a dust mask and remove the zinc mechanically with a flap wheel on an angle grinder
-put on a dust mask and burn the zinc off with a blow torch (i really don't want to do this one)
-put it over a wood fire and just don't go near it for a couple hours till all the zinc is burned away
-put some dilute acid in a spray bottle and cover the thing in it and let it dissolve the zinc

anyone have any experience with this? can i do it without killing myself or should i just spring for a clean 55-gallon drum?

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
hitting hot metal with hammers
Typhoid Manny on

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Wood fire and not going near it may be the easiest least time consuming option.
    Have you price pointed 55gal drums? You may be able to get a used cleanish one for cheapish.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    yeah i got talked out of messing around with the galv, it's just way more trouble and risk than it's worth. i know a guy who can get me a cheap 55gal so i'm just gonna do that

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
    Donovan PuppyfuckerShadowfire