As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Evidence that Doctor Who novelty songs are the best novelty songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-qj9Z-r-E

Sure, it may sound like some kind of bizarre Beatles cover band, but it's actually Frazer Hines singing about time travel and love he is unable to escape.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I remember back around Night of the Doctor, people were all crazy about wanting Paul McGann to get his own show as a spinoff so we could see more of him as the Doctor. Online petitions and everything (which never really amount to anything, but in this case McGann himself actually signed it if I remember correctly). I vaguely recall there being rumors that it was something BBC was going to take into consideration, but I guess nothing ever came of it?

I'd still totally be down for that.

Just schedule them to air in different parts of the year so they aren't in competition with each other in any way (ie. Capaldi in "Doctor Who" in the fall and McGann in "Time War" or whatever in the Spring).

Also, since Moffat has a lot of his plate, maybe let someone else run it instead?

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    The Christmas special will be called "Last Christmas", Second Doctor Patrick Troughton's son Michael will be in it and here's a promo with some new footage okay bye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yge3X0HS6DE

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    The Christmas special will be called "Last Christmas"...

...I gave you my hearts?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I wonder if this is included in the season I bought from xbox video

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    The Christmas special will be called "Last Christmas"...

...I gave you my hearts?

oh my goodness i went almost half the christmas season without remembering this song, i hate you so much

Tube wrote: »
    I wonder if this is included in the season I bought from xbox video

Hard to say. The last few years' boxsets have included the previous year's christmas special, but then Matt Smith had to go and regenerate on his last special so that then became a standalone release and the Season 8 box set has no Christmas special and now my left arm twitches every time I look at my collection.

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Finale spoilers
    Killing Osgood just feels really fucking mean-spirited, from a writing standpoint

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen
    whatshername has been pretty coy about being on the show next season.

Right but I'm talking about
    Osgood, Kate's assistant
    I think she's a fun character and there wasn't any purpose served by having the Master disintegrate her
    Moffat did have a purpose in mind with Osgood's death.
    One thing I was very determined about was that the Master/Missy would have to kill somebody we liked in the most cruel, heartless and terrible way to absolutely say that this person is shockingly evil. Osgood was the one we flung on the fire to make the Master burn brighter.

I don't think it was a particularly good reason, though.

See, I wouldn't have minded
    Osgood's death if it had been interesting, but what we got was pure dreck. You don't build up a character as being smart and genre savvy, and then have them fall for nonsense like "come closer so I can whisper secrets to you". And that's not even counting the two guards whose sole duty was to watch Missy, and yet somehow didn't notice her freeing herself.

• statlerstatler Registered User regular
    I missed the holiday Dr Who thread. :(

I finally got around to watching the Christmas special and I thought it needed...
    ...a few more twist endings

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    For all we know, it could still be a dream. Everything in the show, from this point forward, could be The Doctor or Clara's dream.
    I don't actually think this is the case, and if they ever played that card it'd be incredibly stupid, but I could see it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I don't think so. The Doctor pointed out that the presence of a mild "ice-cream headache" was a giveaway that it was a dream, if you looked for it.

The key there is "if you looked for it." The Doctor wanted Clara to still be okay bad enough, he could be purposely ignoring that headache. It could be a runner throughout the series, like in Season 4, when people kept warning Donna about something being on her back.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'm glad that Jenna's being brought back for another full season. Clara finally seems like a great companion.

I love the dynamic between Clara and Twelve and was really disappointed when they seemed to be abandoning it so soon.

Also I have the biggest crush on Jenna Coleman, but that has nothing to do with it, I swear.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Now that he left the Late Late show, maybe Craig Ferguson can finally be on the show.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    My favorite little bit was
    "There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you."

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Oh that and
    the bit about how ridiculous an idea it was that once a year your parents just decide to give you a big pile of presents for no reason.

Well, because they love you? Hahahaha

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Santa and the elves were the best.
    The elves cracking up when Santa pulled the 'It's bigger on the inside' line was perfect.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Not going to lie
    the last dream (as far as we know...) where Clara is old had me tearing up a little.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    One thing about the christmas special. Did they straight up have a little girl playing Claras body double at the end?

She's not that short.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    What part at the end, exactly? Doesn't look short to me at the actual end scene at any point. She was sitting down, maybe that was it?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm glad that Jenna's being brought back for another full season. Clara finally seems like a great companion.

I'm not against her coming back, but it does seem odd to me that they've written two or three different ending stories for her and yet she still keeps coming back. It's like they can't make up their minds.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    What part at the end, exactly? Doesn't look short to me at the actual end scene at any point. She was sitting down, maybe that was it?
    Right at the(first) end when the Headcrab Doctor and Clara exit the Tardis.

edited December 2014
    Finally figured it out, with some help from a Doctor Who fan forum. The "do math to clear your mind" is a callback to The Claws Of Axos, a Third Doctor story from 1971, episode four to be precise.

Now I can sleep again!

Butler on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, it may also just be the fact it's a common idea to block out thoughts and she's a teacher. But good investigation!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    can I just say that the one girl, Shona, ought to become a Companion

I got this vibe off her like she's a little bit Donna and a little bit Ace and I think she'd be great on adventures

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I got this vibe off her like she's a little bit Donna and a little bit Ace and I think she'd be great on adventures

Can she make high explosives?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Can she make high explosives?

You see that girl dance?

somethings blowin up

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

This was my hope all through the whole episode. It sounds terrible, but
    I was actually waiting for Clara to suicide by braincrab and go off into a lovely Danny Pink dream world to make room for Shona.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I am still sad that they never really addressed the doctor's face choice and what that means. He just had that one line about it.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I am still sad that they never really addressed the doctor's face choice and what that means. He just had that one line about it.

look man

sometimes you just need attack eyebrows

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    They never explained it when the Doctor regenerated into a face that looked exactly like that timelord head of security back on Galifrey. Just go with it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    For real though, I thought the Doctor's apprehension about Twelve's face was because
    There's a very brief shot of Capaldi's eyes in the Day of the Doctor at the end there when they're doing their time mojo to Gallifrey, so spoilers for the Doctor I guess.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So, obviously Santa Claus is a future incarnation of the Doctor who came back later to help wake himself up.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    I'm totally cool with this theory if it means we're getting a Nick Frost Doctor down the line.
    BRB writing a spec script for Nick Frost as the Doctor with Simon Pegg as companion

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    So, obviously Santa Claus is a future incarnation of the Doctor who came back later to help wake himself up.
    So THATS how santa delivers all those presents in one night

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Weaver wrote: »
    Now that he left the Late Late show, maybe Craig Ferguson can finally be on the show.

He's not really well known in the UK at all. I'd be surprised.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone ever heard of an tabletop RPG for Doctor Who before subtitled Adventures In Time And Space? From what I've found of it so far, it's set up so if one of your players wants to play the Doctor , he or she can (the core rulebook even apparently having a sidebar-box dealing with more then one player wanting to be the Doctor) as well as established or original Companions. Looks like there's also supplemental books based on the various Doctor eras and how to use the stories from the show to create campaigns based on them.

I'll take two copies! One to play, and one to put inside me.