As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Official 2015 Challenge Coin Thread] Coin Orders close March 8th.

• Options
    nosutnosut MA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    @nosut I am very glad to have misread that.

@SutibunRi‌ me too! That would put me on a level of stalker I really don't want to be on. Its one thing to click into the persons profile and go oh they are from ______. Its another thing to try and look up where EXACTLY they live.

@zerzhul‌ Sorry about all the issues man. Did not think it would be an issue with people since they kinda had it out in the open. No where did anyone state that it was not necessary to the process and it was something SutibunRi was looking for in the spreadsheet at the time so I thought it was part of the process. I don't see what my account age has to do with anything. My old account was purged since I had not signed on in like a year or two. I think the last post I had prior to this account was actually for the PAX East 2013 challenge coin. I hope there are no hard feelings.

nosut on
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Sitting over here on the sidelines, the address-listing error sounds like an honest mistake, now corrected and duly apologized for and duly (and graciously) forgiven. I humbly suggest we return our focus to the design/numbers discussion.

I want to also suggest that if we are just too late to get this done in time for coins to make it to us before PAX, that we continue forward anyway rather than scrap them; likewise, let's not rush a design through just for the sake of getting them in time for PAX. I'd rather have a great coin, a few weeks late, than none at all, or one that we rushed. The 5th year coin is just too important not to do properly and to our satisfaction! Obviously no matter how awesome it is we'll probably want to keep tweaking it forever, and equally obviously it would be best to get these in time for the show, but I want us to give ourselves permission to miss the date if that's needed. Just my two cents, sitting here and not being able to help in a tangible way except as a peanut gallery. I truly regret that I don't have the time in the coming weeks to take a crack at pushing the design forward myself. Maybe next year!

So, as a proud member of that gallery, I want to put a vote in for nothing on the monitor(s) -- it lets each person imagine their own favorite game there, and also keeps the design less cluttered. I'm all on board with the BCEC without the sign, or if the sign is included, it just being flat/blank (again, less clutter, no worries about even approaching the logo). Looking forward to seeing the convention hall filled in!

ilta on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @ilta‌ I am in favor of getting an awesome coin over a fast coin as well. I second the idea that the monitor(s) should not have anything displayed on them(at most just put a roman numeral V in the middle screen to show the 5 years at BCEC). Not only does it leave it up to the viewer it creates a sleeker coin I think. My vote is something along the lines of a triple monitor system with a keyboard in mouse in front of it. Kind of like you are looking down at an angle to a computer desk. Its simple yet represents what most in the PCMR would have.

Maybe something like: http://i.imgur.com/QXL8vq9.jpg
    or
    http://i.imgur.com/CI19z2T.jpg
    or
    Something with a headset next to it: http://i.imgur.com/rWoWpdT.jpg

nosut on
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ooh, the numeral V is a nice touch. That might also work on the BCEC sign if we ended up going that way, as it would allow the V to be more closely connected to the Pax venue itself though it might not be as visually satisfying as seeing it on the monitor. I'll leave it to whoever is rocking the design to experiment with some combinations.

Personally I don't have a strong opinion on three monitors vs one. I game with one but many prefer the multiple-monitor setup. I agree that a slight downward angle on the desk would help lay out the components really clearly.

ilta on
  • Options
    Nes724Nes724 Registered User regular
    I'd be in for two. Great ideas guys!

• Options
    Mikemuck1Mikemuck1 Registered User regular
    I am in for 5 coins this year.

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    punzie wrote: »
    I'd probably buy 5 coins. Tried to fill out the google form but it doesn't seem to want me to.
    I thought the bcec had been used on the coin before but looking back through old threads maybe I'm wrong on that.
    The WSCC was used for prime 2011 I think. The BCEC was talked about a bunch but the various project leads thought it would be cool to save it for the 5th year in the BCEC :)

Just dug through my coin box...it is indeed the 2011 Prime.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    Updated my entry on the list. 2 coins for me please :)
    Thanks for taking this on @SutibunRi‌ !

0j92muX.png
  • Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder, if we could try to settle on a design before the end of the year, if not sooner, that would go a long way for making this easier on SutibunRi.

Looks like a majority of the ppl here agree on having the convention center on one side. We just need to agree on a common picture.

As far as the PC theme, it's between three monitors vs a single one, but looks like most like the idea of a V in one of the monitor(s).

If any of other forumers/designers out there, and yes I'm talking to you, have any other ideas or suggestions please post accordingly to have your idea(s) / design considered. Can't say we're not giving you a chance.

• Options
    darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm slightly going against the grain here but how about instead of one or three monitors go for a wild looking pc tower? I'm not artistic enough to draw a design but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that can draw and have a wild imagination to come up with an awesome pc tower design.

darksteelreapr on
  • Options
    I'm slightly going against the grain here but how about instead of one or three monitors go for a wild looking pc tower? I'm not artistic enough to draw a design but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that can draw and have a wild imagination to come up with an awesome pc tower design.

Monitor(s) are universal to all games with the major difference being size from a visual perspective. A tower can be wildly different from person to person and that's not even including the hardware inside. I personally like a sleek tower with 0 frills and hate case mods. You might find them awesome. The coin has to be something many would like. A tower can not do that but a monitor mouse and keyboard being a universal sign of PC and gaming can.

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Cool. I love challenge coins! Definitely in for one.

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I'm in favor of the 3 monitor setup, maybe the V on the center one.

• Options
    Rapid99Rapid99 Swedesboro, NJRegistered User regular
    Awesome! I'll take 2 :)
    I'll go ahead and add myself to the list.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    So, as a proud member of that gallery, I want to put a vote in for nothing on the monitor(s) -- it lets each person imagine their own favorite game there, and also keeps the design less cluttered. I'm all on board with the BCEC without the sign, or if the sign is included, it just being flat/blank (again, less clutter, no worries about even approaching the logo). Looking forward to seeing the convention hall filled in!
    Good point. I'll also cast a vote on keeping everything simple: nothing on the monitors or the sign in front of the BCEC.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I need like 5 coins, I don't care what they look like, as long as they are different than previous years.... this is my tradition! every one in my group gets one.
    updated the sheet for myself, I put down 7 just to help out the cause...

Korvas on
  • Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I've been MIA on the forums, and specifically dragged myself back for this thread. I'm all for the BCEC on the back! The monitors on the other side sounds like it might be a bit busy, but only because with three screens it would be much wider than tall. I know dual screen isn't as visually impressive, but it would be more proportional, height vs width wise. That's my two cents on it, at least.

I'm also up for at least 2 coins! And I will also chime in that even if we can't get them in time for PAX, late and beautiful is better than rushed or not at all.

UyhWici.png
  • Options
    eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    I like the idea for the BCEC on one side and a single monitor keyboard and mouse on the other side (maybe a little pair of small speakers or headphones next to the monitor too).

0j92muX.png
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    I want one. Added myself to the doc.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Donation submitted. Anyone else looking to donate, here's the link: http://www.gofundme.com/PAXEastCoin2015

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    WigumWigum Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in two, I put it in the spreadsheet. Excited for my first PAX!

• Options
    sniper_kingsniper_king Registered User regular
    Put myself down for 3 :D im excited

• Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    Donated last year's overage ($52 and change, made it an even $53) to the gofundme page.

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would be posting more, but I don't really have any updates to share, I was watching though, always watching.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    so i was thinking that i wished we had more images up here to look at and discuss, and i was also thinking how it's too bad i have zero artistic talent so i can't really contribute, but then i was like "you could at least TRY". so here's a little something i did quickly and not especially well.

pc side:
    a little keyboard on one side and a mouse and/or headphones on the other could be added, but i like how clean this is and also i couldn't get anything placed in there in a way i liked.

5in2ramwq3zu.jpg

bcec side:
    ok, so i actually did nothing to this. i tried to see if i could trace out the basic design elements, but without much success. i really like this view though, so if someone else wanted to take a crack at sketching it out or doing things to the image to make it more coin-appropriate, i think it could look cool.

e93bb6xh6dha.jpg

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    As always I will be down for ~5 coins.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    i think we said we couldnt write pax east on it for whatever reason I do really like that view though

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    i think we said we couldnt write pax east on it for whatever reason I do really like that view though

i thought i remembered something about that, but i wasn't sure if it couldn't say it or if it just couldn't look like the logo. either way, easy enough to just remove it and leave the center V.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    The coin does say pax east. It just can't have the logo.

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I'm loving that PC side mockup. I'm not sure how I feel about the BCEC from straight on. For some reason I always think of that angled to the side look but that could just be me so pay no mind.

• Options
    mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    Can confirm the numbers for me are correct. I'd remove the star, but am currently unable to edit from my phone for some reason. I'll get rid of it tomorrow, ISP willing...

I like the idea of either three monitors, with a romantic numeral five in the center, or one with KB+M near it, and romantic numeral five on the monitor. I also third the notiontthat I'd rather wait and get an awesome coin than rush and get a great one.

8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • Options
    And we're back from the Holiday Hangout!

Things happened, Designs were designed, Images were submitted to PCC, now we wait for their drafts and what not.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who thinks putting the V on this thing looks super cheesy?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    jXwZGKa.jpg

This is what PCC has to work with right now.. so, complain quickly if you guys hate something!

Have a poll for thoughts on the Year V on the coin!
    http://goo.gl/forms/NeS8gruKj4

Edit: removed all your @'s because no need to have them quoted, they did their job!

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I think just the V and not "Year V" would work.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    gigabrain wrote: »

Seconded.

• Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    gigabrain wrote: »

Seconded.

Third, I agree on just leaving the V and taking out the Year.

But, it might be worth thinking about using the space inside the V? Maybe or would that add too much detail?

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    It'd be much better without the YEAR, so if we had to leave the V, definitely take the YEAR out. I just seriously feel celebrating 5 years at a convention center is weird and makes no sense to me.

Also, has there always been a Ms. Pac Man or is that bow new?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    It'd be much better without the YEAR, so if we had to leave the V, definitely take the YEAR out. I just seriously feel celebrating 5 years at a convention center is weird and makes no sense to me.

I'm all for ditching the "year" and just leaving the V, that was something someone requested I think. But there is a finite amount of detail we can do, and I think we are pushing it with the keyboard already. We could also change the V to an actual 5, or put 5th Anniversary.

The bow is new, and was my idea to add. It seemed appropriate given the events of the past 6 months or so in terms of gaming culture.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

I'm all for ditching the "year" and just leaving the V, that was something someone requested I think. But there is a finite amount of detail we can do, and I think we are pushing it with the keyboard already. We could also change the V to an actual 5, or put 5th Anniversary.

The bow is new, and was my idea to add. It seemed appropriate given the events of the past 6 months or so in terms of gaming culture.

I had initially been in favor of a blank monitor, but the thread convinced me the V was a good idea, and when Mvrck added the Year over it, I realized that the overlapping text might end up looking awesome when cast on a coin.

The bow is my favorite part about the design. I had been impatiently waiting for someone to notice it.
    I know, it changes one of the parts of the coin that's been consistent since the beginning, but it feels like a good change to me.

This discussion has been closed.