As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cunning disguises

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My landlady once recommended a homeopathic remedy to me but I chose to believe she'd just muddled her words and had meant to say herbal not homeopathic.

Then later she told me about when her friend used aromatherapy to treat a puppy dying from a snake bite and I thought, welp.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Huh. No wonder kangaroos can hit so hard.

SixshotStriker on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    My landlady once recommended a homeopathic remedy to me but I chose to believe she'd just muddled her words and had meant to say herbal not homeopathic.

Then later she told me about when her friend used aromatherapy to treat a puppy dying from a snake bite and I thought, welp.

damnit, that poor puppy

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Huh. No wonder kangaroos can hit so hard.

They hit with their legs. They grapple with their arms, stand on their tails, and kick you with their hind legs.

Also capable of disembowelling you.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I really don't see any point in arguing with someone wiling to buy into homoeopathy.

Not to suggest that reason and logic are beyond some people, but

well actually, that's actually what I'm suggesting.

If you believe that diluting something makes it stronger, you are clearly failing scientific thinking at an extremely basic level.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    71zdyhj5G0L._UX385_.jpg

Hmmm, yes, Sergeant John 'Jesus-Freedom-Eagle' Rambo ....

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Woke up at 4:15 this morning. But little Ada had some sort of nightmare. Looking forward to going home so she can sleep better in her own crib.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Back to work tomorrow. Gonna spend the day doing laundry, cleaning, and playing Last of Us for the first time.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I really don't see any point in arguing with someone wiling to buy into homoeopathy.

If you believe that diluting something makes it stronger, you are clearly failing scientific thinking at an extremely basic level.

Well when you bang it the memory of what it was before you diluted it will make it work.

Magical Thinking is a thing to make a person wonder.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    It also confuses the matter when people then user the term 'homeopathy' for any herbal,etc treatments. My husband cringes each time he buys 'homeopathic' zinc lozenges that actually have a decent amount of zinc in it. They just use the term to appeal to a certain customer.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    wifi radiation nutbars... well, that's a new one for me.

I cut open my thumb, but deep on x-mas. I'll never take you for granted again, thumb. get well soon, lil guy.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

damnit, that poor puppy

I once had a coworker tell me that they'd taken their dog to a veterinary acupuncturist, and I literally walked away without responding because I knew I wouldn't be able to manage my tone.

I mean, fuck, they wouldn't even get a placebo effect because they don't understand that it's supposed to help them. They're just getting jabbed with needles and have no idea why.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »
    wifi radiation nutbars... well, that's a new one for me.

I cut open my thumb, but deep on x-mas. I'll never take you for granted again, thumb. get well soon, lil guy.

I had a customer back when I sold computers that got really bad headaches whenever she used the computer since a car accident and she was convinced it was wifi/electromagnetic radiation. She wanted to buy an iMac because they seemed to bother her less. While I was showing her pricing for the various models on Apple's website on the display computer she actually took the mouse from me and disabled wifi.

First, I can't show you this without the internet. Second, the signal from the router (not to mention every other computer, phone, and cell tower is still there, whether or not this particular computer is listening to them.

I'm pretty sure her headaches were actually caused by the computers, but the display/refresh rate, as she said that fluorescent lighting triggered them as well, but she wasn't willing to entertain that theory.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

Speaking of medicine, I guess Pepto Bismol sits pretty heavy in your stomach. I had eaten recently and had an upset stomach that wouldn't go away so I tried taking some Pepto. It was all of 5 minutes before I threw up.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Speaking of medicine, I guess Pepto Bismol sits pretty heavy in your stomach. I had eaten recently and had an upset stomach that wouldn't go away so I tried taking some Pepto. It was all of 5 minutes before I threw up.

I have never not thrown up from taking pepto

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Now look we all know homeopathy is bullshit, but let me tell you about these sports bandages that have been treated with

"Advanced Technology made in the USA from a natural minerals that provide antimicrobial protection and utilize Far Infrared Rays at the optimal wavelengths for animals and people."

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    One cousin was taking colloidal silver until I pulled up pictures of people with argyria and showed them to her.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Homeopathy is water disguised as medicine.

It's not even a good disguise, it just puts on some glasses and for some reason nobody recognises it.

Lots of people don't know what homeopathy is and use the term to mean all "natural" medicine.

So if you tell average Joe homeopathy is water they look at you funny because you are speaking to something they don't mean.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    Now look we all know homeopathy is bullshit, but let me tell you about these sports bandages that have been treated with

"Advanced Technology made in the USA from a natural minerals that provide antimicrobial protection and utilize Far Infrared Rays at the optimal wavelengths for animals and people."

How much

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    But guys, my bartender saw me sniffle and told me about this great remedy she had tried, this homeopathic thing (this was a selling point) that she took when she felt a cold coming on. And guys, she was better the NEXT DAY. That is..that is science guys. Guys...where are you going? (I ordered another beer and moved myself to a different part of the bar)

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Homeopathy is water disguised as medicine.

It's not even a good disguise, it just puts on some glasses and for some reason nobody recognises it.

Lots of people don't know what homeopathy is and use the term to mean all "natural" medicine.

So if you tell average Joe homeopathy is water they look at you funny because you are speaking to something they don't mean.

99% of Natural medicine is also bullshit so I'm not too worried.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    I made a turkey curry with all the leftover turkey. Ground my own spices and everything. I am expecting my tastebuds to trip balls.

Update: It's like there was a party in my mouth and only the hippest Sri Lankans were invited.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    What's that joke, historically whenever alternative medicine works it's just called medicine?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

The idea that a small amount of something bad for you can have a perverse effect brought us the idea of vaccination and acclimatization.

It's just an idea that has long since been played out, and has people applying it in unscientific ways.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Hey is there still an SE++ chat room?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

The idea that a small amount of something bad for you can have a perverse effect brought us the idea of vaccination and acclimatization.

It's just an idea that has long since been played out, and has people applying it in unscientific ways.

I think the root of homeopathic ideas has more to do with traditional notions of sympathetic magic and "forces" being linked. People often noticed the effect of acclimatisation and becoming immune or resistant through moderated exposure, but I don't think that's where homeopathic ideas necessarily come from. But they may have coexisted and borrowed from one another in an explanatory sense. I'm honestly kind of interested in the subject now tho

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

I have never not thrown up from taking pepto

I have. It's not a panacea, but it can help me with some stomach issues.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2014
    Jesus Christ, Larry Donnell!

This post doesn't belong here...

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My sister in law took her dachshund to an acupuncturist for back trouble. I guess it really helped? I dunno.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I just like the poop idea of homeopathy. Diluted poop.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I need a second opinion on this (the first opinion is mine).

I kind of want to buy a pair of non-firing Single Action Army replicas, but I am unsure what the legal status of such a thing would be.

Here.

In NYC.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

damnit, that poor puppy

Yeah :( The only... not consolation, but... it was a stray in Senegal and vets weren't exactly a thing around there, so it would have died either way. I guess at least it died somewhere warm and comfortable and... nice smelling.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    My sister in law took her dachshund to an acupuncturist for back trouble. I guess it really helped? I dunno.
    I lost a dachshund to back trouble.

I bet they gave the poor thing nerve damage to "relieve the pain".

I am so mad.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    I lost a dachshund to back trouble.

I bet they gave the poor thing nerve damage to "relieve the pain".

I am so mad.

acupuncture can actually have some positive effects in regards to pain relief

it won't actually "fix" spinal issues though

• Options
    also where the hell would nerve damage even come from

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I have zero faith in acupuncture, and even less so when it comes to veterinarians. I can only think of a guy blindly poking someone or some animal with needles and saying they are cured.

I can see how placebo, adrenaline and a new pain to distract from the old pain can be helpful but I'd rather pop a pill thanks.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I need a second opinion on this (the first opinion is mine).

I kind of want to buy a pair of non-firing Single Action Army replicas, but I am unsure what the legal status of such a thing would be.

Here.

In NYC.

Is it for some sort of costume?

You might be able to find a pair of matching toy revolvers on Amazon and then trick them out a little. If you want to do something like flips and tricks like Revolver Ocelot, you would need something with realistic weight and balance and that's going to cost a pretty penny. The closest thing I can think of is an airsoft replica.

A quick Google search shows at least five online retailers, none of them expensive for trick-training but much more costly than it's worth for a one-off costume.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    nuka wrote: »
    I have zero faith in acupuncture, and even less so when it comes to veterinarians. I can only think of a guy blindly poking someone or some animal with needles and saying they are cured.

I can see how placebo, adrenaline and a new pain to distract from the old pain can be helpful but I'd rather pop a pill thanks.

that's all personal issues not at all linked to actual facts or the science

• Options

"Pertusis is now an issue again" would be a 6 word comic that says all you need to know