As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this Super Scope salvageable?

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
I'm visiting my parents for the holidays and also going through some of the stuff I left behind. One of the things I left behind was my old Super Scope for the SNES. Externally, it's in great condition. Unfortunately, I was an idiot when I was a teen and left batteries inside it before storing it away almost two decades ago. I remember digging it out about 10 years ago, seeing how the batteries had corroded and managing to get four of them out. The last two were stuck deep within the battery compartment and would obviously not simply slide out like they were supposed to, and I didn't feel like digging them out at the time. Now I'm finally faced with attempting to save it (and yes, I still have an old CRT to play it on) or just throw it out. Here's a picture I took just now with the batteries deep in the compartment:
5j7z9v2ya5hf.jpg

What do you think?

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    it's probably salvageable, but it might end up being more work than it's worth. if you can't pry the batteries out with a flathead or similar, you'll have to take the thing apart to get at the batteries. you're probably gonna need to do this anyway, to see how bad the corrosion is. you probably will need to replace the battery contacts, with corrosion that bad there might not even be anything left. the corrosion probably didn't make it any further than that, but if it did that's more stuff you need to replace

first step is taking the thing apart and seeing what the deal is

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    it's probably salvageable, but it might end up being more work than it's worth. if you can't pry the batteries out with a flathead or similar, you'll have to take the thing apart to get at the batteries. you're probably gonna need to do this anyway, to see how bad the corrosion is. you probably will need to replace the battery contacts, with corrosion that bad there might not even be anything left. the corrosion probably didn't make it any further than that, but if it did that's more stuff you need to replace

first step is taking the thing apart and seeing what the deal is

Open it up, cut out the battery contacts if that's all that is borked and solder in new battery contacts.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'll definitely open it up. If soldering is necessary, it might actually be a good project for my wife, who's been getting into that kind of stuff recently.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Condition:
    Used, untested, excellent condition, complete except for gun and game manual. box in nice shape w some edge wear.
    So, am I reading correctly that the gun is missing as well as the game manual, or is there a single manual for both gun and game that's missing?
    I never had a super scope. Not a huge loss since there were what, 2 or 3 games for the thing?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I never had a super scope. Not a huge loss since there were what, 2 or 3 games for the thing?

Hell, the only game I have for it is the pack-in cartridge which had 6 simple games on it. I do remember them being fairly enjoyable.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Condition:
    Used, untested, excellent condition, complete except for gun and game manual. box in nice shape w some edge wear.
    So, am I reading correctly that the gun is missing as well as the game manual, or is there a single manual for both gun and game that's missing?

Hmm I can't be certain but I'm guessing that is a typo of some sort. They also say to check the pictures and everything is included in the provided pictures. It's seattle goodwill selling, so I don't expect they are ripping anyone off. A quick email would clear it up if you were interested in sure.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Condition:

Hmm I can't be certain but I'm guessing that is a typo of some sort. They also say to check the pictures and everything is included in the provided pictures. It's seattle goodwill selling, so I don't expect they are ripping anyone off. A quick email would clear it up if you were interested in sure.

I would email to check, but I read that as the gun manual is missing, as is the game manual. Or one manual (containing both content) is missing.
    "I saw a tiger shopping (for a super scope) today."

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's not uncommon for ebay sellers to try and scam buyers with fine line text like this.

"Oh I posted a picture of the purse you were buying? What... No! I was selling a list of stores that sell this purse for $150!"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    It's not uncommon for ebay sellers to try and scam buyers with fine line text like this.

"Oh I posted a picture of the purse you were buying? What... No! I was selling a list of stores that sell this purse for $150!"

The best are the ones that are selling a picture of whatever it is you want to buy. Because someone in their right mind really does want to spend $500 on that photograph of a PS4 with 3 games.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Oh for sure!
    But if seller is who they say they are, probably just bad grammer.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also OP, that could be 100% salvageable once you clean the contacts.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm working on shipping it back home where we'll try to fix it up...eventually.

Thanks everyone!