As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread from last year....

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    must have for everyone

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    50 Dragoon get.

8VYwxDz.png

...is going to stab some fools.

488W936.png
  • PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    Got my ninja to 50, really don't like the ST gear so it's AF glamour time!
    xctkx0tegx4e.png
    Prolly switch to the relic wpn as glam once i get it (stuck in the midst of bard relic line atm). Mog blades are nice, and I've got titan cleavers i need to check and see how well they work too.

Another one down!!

Watch out DRG and PLD!!!! I got my eye on you two!

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Is DRG the only DPS class with STR as a main?
    I'd assume DEX is going to be top priority with Machinist.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Is DRG the only DPS class with STR as a main?
    I'd assume DEX is going to be top priority with Machinist.

Monk is STR as well.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Monk and whenever Warriors try to be cute.

steam_sig.png
  • TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    I don't have any super pictures of cool stuff, but level 25 Conjurer GET!

Ya'll better watch out, I'm gaining. :P

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So, new Sarg character creation is best attempted early morning, huh? Will I be able to log in whenever I want once I have a character on there?

Nightslyr wrote: »
    So, new Sarg character creation is best attempted early morning, huh? Will I be able to log in whenever I want once I have a character on there?

Yup, once you make your character on there you can log in on it whenever.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Gae Old Bolg (Zenith) get.

mAVfaS1.png

Still not sure why there's a wire on the pole. Probably going to use this as a glamour for the unweathered Liberator for now though.

488W936.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Has a small conversation in-game about this, but I'm wondering how Square is going to handle the expansion if you own the game on PC and PS3/PS4, but only buy one version of it.

Like, what would happen if you own the expansion on PC, you log out on one of the new areas, but then you try to load it back up on PS4?

Some theorized that you'll just be locked out of logging in, but that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'd like to think that you'll only have to buy the expansion for either console or PC, and once you activate it on your account that content is yours on every platform.

I mean, it would be nice at least.

Has a small conversation in-game about this, but I'm wondering how Square is going to handle the expansion if you own the game on PC and PS3/PS4, but only buy one version of it.

Like, what would happen if you own the expansion on PC, you log out on one of the new areas, but then you try to load it back up on PS4?

Some theorized that you'll just be locked out of logging in, but that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'd like to think that you'll only have to buy the expansion for either console or PC, and once you activate it on your account that content is yours on every platform.

I mean, it would be nice at least.

It would be very nice indeed, I just wouldn't expect it.

delphinidaes.png
    It still sounds like it would be a lot of headache to do the necessary programming to lock people out of the content. Most assuredly there would even be some players who would have their game be affected in some way because of that.

I'd ask how other games handled it, but Square really has been the only company to release an MMO on both console and PC that lets players cross-play between the two, as far as I know.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The trick is getting all the expansion content on the HD without the disks. If they want to push that much to every player who has multiple platforms, cool. I would imagine this won't be an issue if digital downloads are available.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    It still sounds like it would be a lot of headache to do the necessary programming to lock people out of the content. Most assuredly there would even be some players who would have their game be affected in some way because of that.

I'd ask how other games handled it, but Square really has been the only company to release an MMO on both console and PC that lets players cross-play between the two, as far as I know.

I don't think it's nearly as big a "headache" to program as you keep alluding to at all. In FFXI you needed to purchase an expansion for both platforms if you wanted to play on both, I would wager it will be the same here.

delphinidaes.png
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Still not sure why there's a wire on the pole. Probably going to use this as a glamour for the unweathered Liberator for now though.

It's for yanking it back to you after a throw.

I don't think it's nearly as big a "headache" to program as you keep alluding to at all. In FFXI you needed to purchase an expansion for both platforms if you wanted to play on both, I would wager it will be the same here.

Programmatically, it's no trouble at all. All that needs to happen is for the game to check whether the user's client has the expansion flag set before allowing them to enter the expansion zones. It's as difficult as allowing/denying access to level or progression locked content, the only difference the client sends the value that's checked. Actually, thinking about it more, if the game was smart, it would only ask for client expansion status once during login, then store it on their end for future use so it doesn't need to be sent at each zone crossing. In any event, it's essentially trivial.

In other news, Sarg is being an asshole and isn't allowing me to create my character.

edited December 2014
    I guess I'm thinking too much about all the possible variables.

For instance, the new jobs. Are you just not going to be able to switch to them while playing in an expansion-less version of the game? Would a saved DRK icon just be grayed-out on your hotbar?

The only thing that makes sense to me besides the "one expansion, one account" scenario is one where they don't let you play the game period until you also get the expansion on said console.

Which would be a pretty shitty thing to do, honestly.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • FettS1FettS1 Registered User regular
    Hi all - finally transferred over to Sarg! I submitted an app to GHOST in game - look forward to playing w you all!

Diablo3: FettS1#1626
    PSN: FettS1
    FFXIV: Kashell Valeth

For instance, the new jobs. Are you just not going to be able to switch to them while playing in an expansion-less version of the game? Would a saved DRK icon just be grayed-out on your hotbar?

Most likely. It's a trivial amount of logic to implement that. Literally a few if/else statements:
    // display code

if (!heavensWard) {
        Input = disabled;
    } else {
        Input = active;
    }

For all intents and purposes, that's it. Obviously, it's a bit more involved than that in the real code, but that's the basic idea. And all the Heavensward stuff would operate the same way. If the expansion is not installed on the user's end, disable or abort when they try to access content. Else, proceed normally.

It's not complicated for them to implement at all on their end. Certainly not in comparison to, say, implementing flying.

• GreyWolfyGreyWolfy Rochester, NYRegistered User regular

The only thing that makes sense to me besides the "one expansion, one account" scenario is one where they don't let you play the game period until you also get the expansion on said console.

Which would be a pretty shitty thing to do, honestly.

If I remember correctly, the way FFXI worked was they had different folders storing data/roms for the base game/other general data and folders for each expansion. So the base folders would have data ALL characters would see (so even if you didn't have the expansion, it was still possible to see/equip new gear etc), but new zones and instances would be stored in the new expansion folder.

I assume they would tie character specific data (like jobs/items) to the base game folders, and new zones/instances/cutscenes/etc to the expansion folder. Thus, you could log into heavensward on PC, get the new job then log out in an old zone... but still log into your PS3 that's still running 2.0. However, if you log out in a new zone, it just won't let you log in with your PS3.

FFXIV: Rexus Kalev - Sargatanas
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2014
    Over thinking this. Keeping people out of areas they don't want them in is trivial, game companies have been doing it for decades.

The only question is if the devs want you to have access to the new areas if you haven't purchased the expansion for the platform you are currently playing on. If yes then there will be one mother of a patch. If no then you will be blocked at the character selection screen should you move your character into a new area and then switch platforms or denied a teleport/zone line transition.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Over thinking this. Keeping people out of areas they don't want them in is trivial, game companies have been doing it for decades.

The only question is if the devs want you to have access to the new areas if you haven't purchased the expansion for the platform you are currently playing on. If yes then there will be one mother of a patch. If no then you will be blocked at the character selection screen should you move your character into a new area and then switch platforms or denied a teleport/zone line transition.

How do other MMOs do it? I know WoW makes everyone download the expansions, regardless of whether or not they've got access to those zones/races. Seems like that'd be the simplest solution. And hell, it's almost 2015, making you buy the expansion twice would be pretty fucking silly, and isn't something I can see any other MMO doing (though I guess XIV is in a unique position being on both console and PC.

For WoW, it is a simple business decision. You are much more likely to drop dollars for the expansion if you can start playing it instantly, and they have months to push those files to you online in advance. Not a bad way to do it, when you want to leverage a 'locked in' playerbase.

If you don't have the expansion, the new feature are locked away behind zone transitions and character creation screens, juat like every other MMO.

Every other MMO is content to push online the minimum files you need to play on the same servers as pepole with the expansions. Character and armor geo and textures, animations. Zone data has traditionally been on the disk.

The paradigm has shifted what with digital distribution. Now the companies have total freedom on what resources to push to the player and when.

edited December 2014
    If Machinist proves to be fun I can see it replacing my idea to level up BRD for a ranged physical DPS. Though I still gotta level up Arcanist>Summoner first for my Caster DPS.

Also wanna say thanks to all the Ghosties that helped Saturday night get me the Ramuh EX Clear.
    Plan on putting a moderate donation into the FC chest as was suggested for Caspers. :)

Riokenn on

Or, to not piss off players outright, they could simply teleport someone to the nearest 2.0 crystal if that person tries logging into the game with a character that's in an expansion area. Like we've both been saying, there's a ton of ways for them to simply gate off the new content.

In happier news, I was able to finally make my character on Sarg. Woot Hyur Gladiator level 2! Char name is Kevin Nightslayer, if anyone wants to send me a FC invite. I play on the PS4, so I'm not sure how communication can be handled outside of text chat....

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So a friend of mine tried to do a trial account over the weekend and was having trouble getting the trial client to download. So she just bought the game off the SE site and installed the real one. Problem is now her account is stuck on trial status. Whenever she enters the information to upgrade it to a real one, it just says a technical error occurred and try again later.
    Anybody else ever seen this?
    Anything to do other than contact support?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    Quick question, are there hairstyles that you don't have access to at the beginning of the game? I swear I see some cat-girls with a hairstyle I don't have an option for, but maybe I'm imagining it.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    There are some you can get from the stylist. There's a haircut unlocked from the wedding thing and there's another one that was unlocked with the Lightning crossover event.

Ya, I checked with the stylist and they were all the same. Must be one of the others. Thanks!

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

Or, to not piss off players outright, they could simply teleport someone to the nearest 2.0 crystal if that person tries logging into the game with a character that's in an expansion area. Like we've both been saying, there's a ton of ways for them to simply gate off the new content.

In happier news, I was able to finally make my character on Sarg. Woot Hyur Gladiator level 2! Char name is Kevin Nightslayer, if anyone wants to send me a FC invite. I play on the PS4, so I'm not sure how communication can be handled outside of text chat....

Mumble, Ventrilo, and Teamspeak all have smartphone apps.

Esh wrote: »

Mumble, Ventrilo, and Teamspeak all have smartphone apps.

Interesting... Of course, my smartphone is a Windows Phone, so I might be screwed in that regard

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    Ya, I checked with the stylist and they were all the same. Must be one of the others. Thanks!

If you're wanting the hair Corehealer and myself have, that's the Lightning cut.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Tulabelle wrote: »

Look up Lightning from FF13.

Did it look like that?

If so it's from the event everyone is talking about.

Yep, that is the hair. I'm guessing I can't do that event anymore?

I've just been really having a hard time with my hair. I love my character, but none of the hair styles really fit. Not a big deal. I'll wear a hat.

That event will likely return.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The Lightning event typically happens once a year or so, so you'll have other chances.

IKknkhU.gif
    Once at November 14th-December 9th 2013.
    The second time was for the release of FFXIII-3 sometime in February 2014.
    And the last time was September 1st-September 10th 2014 for the anniversary of FFXIV.

So maybe they'll bring it back in Feb. 2015?

PS4 interface question(s):

Is there a way to make the map bigger than when I just press []? Pressing that makes it bigger than the circular minimap, but I'd like to make it a lot bigger when I press []. I've tried tapping on the lower left corner icon with the touchpad, but that's so finicky.

Is there a way to ask the various GHOST people I see around Ul'dah for an FC invite?

PS4 interface question(s):

Is there a way to make the map bigger than when I just press []? Pressing that makes it bigger than the circular minimap, but I'd like to make it a lot bigger when I press []. I've tried tapping on the lower left corner icon with the touchpad, but that's so finicky.

Is there a way to ask the various GHOST people I see around Ul'dah for an FC invite?

Easiest way for an invite is to find any Ghost member (We are everywhere but our FC house is in the Mists, Ward 2, plot 5) and bring up the Company Profile info on them. From there you can submit an application directly. Just mention PA in the app and it'll be approved.

delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.