As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elite: Dangerous] - Docking request denied.

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Falx wrote: »
    Logitech Extreme 3D Pro bought... game bought... downloaded...

Single player combat training is the tutorial right?

I don't know what that is, all the tutorials I played were in the main game!

On the installer there's a demo it seems used as a tutorial. All those tutorials were in the main game too.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Artreus‌ read the GalNet updates

3basnids3lf9.jpg

http://elitedangerous.com/news/galnet/

Federation Tax Raises announced today?!

FUCK THAT. I'm getting in my Eagle and dumping some tea into the Boston Harbor Nebula!!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Just reading about the factions, I'm thinking my loyalty is gonna be with the Alliance.

Weaver on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Holy shit I am so horrible at flying. Landing is an ordeal... I need to practice.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Ok so I bought Ellen: Degeneres. If it works ok on my Surface I'm going to order a Warthog as a Christmas gift to myself for being a very brave boy.

Out of curiosity, why that one? It seems very well made but it looks like you could get a Saitek X-52 (or X-55) for cheaper and that one comes with a throttle.

This one comes with a throttle too. I wanted something fancy as a treat, and when I tried them in the store the X 55 didn't feel as good.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    quote="Falx;31518331"]Holy shit I am so horrible at flying. Landing is an ordeal... I need to practice.[/quote]

There's a docking module you can buy that will dock for you. Kinda reduces smuggling as a source of credits, but if you are having problems it's worth a look.

Also to the poster talking about being a space trucker(at work so can't look too deep right now) search for the elite best profit calculator. Handy little tool that calculates most profitable route based on where you are in the galaxy and how far you want to go.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Actually kind of torn on whether or not to go to an outside website to find the best routes.

I have to walk a fine line in my head where if it becomes too much just straight up game mechanics and numbers I kind of lose interest.

LIke I'm into it if there's a story and I'm just exploring and buying and selling. But if it just turns into "go here and buy x amount of this and sell it there for maximum profit" it just turns me off the game and I get bored and do something else. Keeping interest in a game is hard because I got poobrain

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I used to be pretty terrible at landing, but I've gotten the hang of it now.

Now, this is what its like for me.
    http://giant.gfycat.com/DelectableAstonishingBellfrog.webm

• Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    Holy shit I am so horrible at flying. Landing is an ordeal... I need to practice.

I love that landing is still so involved, it's one of the things that really make the game for me.

Spiced Ham wrote: »

I love that landing is still so involved, it's one of the things that really make the game for me.

Now turn off flight assist and auto-rotate

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I've been meaning to mess around with turning off flight assist and see what it's like.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

I've been meaning to mess around with turning off flight assist and see what it's like.

I use it when flying up to stations. Go full speed parallel to the station, turn of FA, and turn towards the port. Once you reach it, turn FA back on, and go full speed while requesting dock. Then drop to half just in time to make it through the mail slot.

Extra points if you also turn off FA getting into the mail slot, doing a full flip.

• Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular

No freakin thank you.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I'd probably like flying with FA off if there were some sort of direction indicator or something.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Oh hmm yes hello, shooting pirates who flee and drop their illegal stolen cargo for you to collect and sell, very profitable! Crime does pay!

I'd probably like flying with FA off if there were some sort of direction indicator or something.

The old Mark 1 Eyeball

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I can not for the life of me figure out navigating long distances. Trying desperately to get to Lave since I want to be in alliance space.

I'm in mbukuravi now. Maybe the sidewinder just doesn't have the jump range to get to some of these stars?

I can not for the life of me figure out navigating long distances. Trying desperately to get to Lave since I want to be in alliance space.

I'm in mbukuravi now. Maybe the sidewinder just doesn't have the jump range to get to some of these stars?

Stock? Maybe not. If saving up for a new ship is out of the question, you can always upgrade your internal parts, could maybe squeeze another light year or two out of your jumps.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular

You can see your maximum jump range in the outfitting screen. The sidewinder's default range is 8-ish, I think? You should be able to get anywhere in civilized space. Try switching your galaxy map's route calculating from most economical to quickest.

l3icwZV.png
    Farangu wrote: »

Stock? Maybe not. If saving up for a new ship is out of the question, you can always upgrade your internal parts, could maybe squeeze another light year or two out of your jumps.

I'm not against the idea of saving up so much as I was just hoping to get to Alliance space and THEN start doing missions/trading so as to start getting alliance rep.

But it's looking like that area might be a bit too sparsely populated and I might be better off served heading to the area PA folks are all playing in

You can earn enough to at least get into an Eagle with maybe a day or two of whichever activity you want, so you won't be super deprived of earning rep, and that'll get you a bigger jump range

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Long distances should be possible with just about anything, it is just a matter of how long a route it will end up being and how many jumps it will take.

The thing to realize is that when the game tells you a route isn't available, what it actually means is it hasn't calculated it yet. The game wants to calculate every route in the entire radius around you expanding out, rather than in one direction, so it can take quite a while. Just find the system you want and then wait a bit while the games algorithms get you a route in the longest way possible.

I really hope they make it possible to get a narrower route calculation in the future. It seems to be an unnecessary strain on the system resources to calculate so many damn routes.

I do highly recommend though, that you drop your base exploration scanner and pick up a fuel scoop. It is only like 300 creds, and is going to be necessary for getting to a far away place if you don't want to be wasting an obscene amount of time flying to stations to refuel.

The trick with it is to pull away from the star when you are about 130% heat then fly back. Once you have a good feel for the range between you and the star, you can find that happy medium where you can drop to minimum super cruise speed and just take fuel forever staying at the same heat, but that can take some practice.

Just be very, very careful about how faster you fly to the star. If you get to close it will drop you out of super cruise and you will get fried very quickly.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Long distances should be possible with just about anything

I dunno man

search for "white eye" in the galaxy map and lemme know how you think we can get there

l3icwZV.png
    Long distances should be possible with just about anything, it is just a matter of how long a route it will end up being and how many jumps it will take.

The thing to realize is that when the game tells you a route isn't available, what it actually means is it hasn't calculated it yet. The game wants to calculate every route in the entire radius around you expanding out, rather than in one direction, so it can take quite a while. Just find the system you want and then wait a bit while the games algorithms get you a route in the longest way possible.

I really hope they make it possible to get a narrower route calculation in the future. It seems to be an unnecessary strain on the system resources to calculate so many damn routes.

OH

I did not know this.

Thank you.

and yeah, fuel scoop it is

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just saw a bit of a video where a dude flew to earth.

Now I want this game very badly.

Oh my god

I

I flew too close to the sun. I was just trying to skim and I guess I was angled too low and I was sucked in and couldn't figure out how to jump away in time and oh god that was horrifying

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    What happens when you die?

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    You respawn "somewhere" (I don't know the mechanic) and you are given the option of getting a new Sidewinder for free or paying out the insurance payout (5% of fitted cost) on your now-dead ship and getting a new one.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    I opted for taking the insurance since I had JUST upgraded my FSD and gotten a fuel scoop.

I popped up at the station I had just left.

Also turns out there are no lines between places if you just can't jump there. The starting sidewinder only has a jump range of like 7LY, so I upgraded it to about 9.5, which is enough to open up a bunch of space.

Looking up tutorials for making starting money though because a ship with a decent cargo hold is not cheap, and I only have 25k credits. And my ship can only hold about 4 tons of cargo, so I'm missing out on a bunch of stuff.

I think there is a max limit to how far out the route calculator will go. I'm doing a rare trade route and the Esuseku system is always at about 106 ly from my current location and the route tracker always stops JUST before it, but I can get a 98 no problem.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Please tell me the first three things to do in this videogame

How do you get the sol system permit anyway

Someone mentioned it being a "freebie"

Also, why am I wanted in a system I have paid everything off in

is that just never going to go away because I accidentally forgot to ask permission to enter a base and got blown up?

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

1. Learn how to Supercruise effectively
    2. Hunt for signal sources along planetary lines
    3. Blow up Wanted ships until you can afford a new ship

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png

Honestly just learning all the controls and getting a setup you are comfortable with is the biggest first step. It took a couple days to get familiar with everything. I have a mouse on the right, joystick center and keyboard left to handle all I need to do.

Did you watch the tutorials for movement? There's some intricacies to Supercruise and jumping that are super important. The little blue guide in the throttle area is your friend. Keeping it there when supercruising helps you find the right speed for approaching your target.

Start doing some missions to build reputation with whatever area you're in to start getting better missions, is what I'm doing anyway

Pick a direction and just start flying

l3icwZV.png
    Pick a star, really

If you're just picking a random direction in a system chances are you're not going to find anything